• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When will the Wii get all the cool 3rd party games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

koam

So far, it's been all PS2 or PSP ports and all the exclusives with the exception of RE:UC and NMH have been geared at a younger audience or a non-audience. Now, I can understand this happening on the gamecube where they were 3rd place but now, they're first place and their lead is increasing rapidely yet THERE ARE NO FUCKING GOOD 3RD PARTY GAMES.

So 3rd parties, i'm calling you out. Bring us our GTAs, our DMCs, our MGSs and stop fucking porting PS2/PSP games, or if you are going to release a game on PS2/PSP, at least build it on the Wii and port them down.

And WTF are the FPS games? I'm not a huge FPS fan but come on, the system was designed for FPS games.

</rant>

Well, if you like sports games then the Wii is serving up some nice 3rd party support. I don't really pay much attention to the other genres (outside of Galaxy and Brawl, of course).

koam said:
So 3rd parties, i'm calling you out. Bring us our GTAs, our DMCs, our MGSs and stop fucking porting PS2/PSP games, or if you are going to release a game on PS2/PSP, at least build it on the Wii and port them down.

Those games were never gonna come out for Wii, were you really expecting them to? It just isn't gonna happen. It's like asking where all the Mario games are for the PS3 and 360.

Phthisis

Oh good, I was wondering when we would have another one of these threads.

Your answer: never. No system is going to ever get all the "cool third party games"

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
(edited for tears)

Japan
mc-wii-lead-67.jpg

US
NPD-NEXTGEN-LEAD-0208.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
I swear to God PantherLotus if you can't keep your megalothic thread posts in the threads you originally put them in, I'm banning you forever.

I am sure that we can expect some great games at E3 at least. Good Games need time, and the evidence that the wii is the successful wasn't always given. So it is a matter of time.

Mooreberg

The developers making the kind of games you are talking about are using engines that will not run on Wii. Not to mention a lot of the good cross platform developers like Infinity Ward are owned by larger publishers. If another engine has to be developed, they will just use another developer to work on the game. 360 is providing them with the software sales they need, and PS3 seems to have become an easy enough port destination for non-exclusive games.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Amir0x said:
I swear to God PantherLotus if you can't keep your megalothic thread posts in the threads you originally put them in, I'm banning you forever.

It was such an informative post.

The Wii will finally get a steady stream of quality 3rd party titles, when the PS2 finally decides to leave. It's like that one guy at a party who doesn't know when he's not wanted.

Well, at least he's more popular than that PS3 guy.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Amir0x said:

I'm sure you can find any reason you like, Amir0x. I'm not doing anything against the TOS, that is non-contributory, nor trollish or fanboyish. I'm not sure why you continue your antagonism against me personally, but it is not appreciated at all. Why not PM me and extend the same courtesy that you expect from everybody else?

Amir0x

Banned
I'm sorry you can take that cross wherever the fuck you like, but you did this with your banner thread and if you start doing it with this you will be banned forever. End word.

Innotech

Banned
IMO, the Wii is the one getting third party games more fitting to my tastes. I would honestly be looking at buying a wii at this point even if I owned one of the other consoles, because while it lacks high profile releases, the Wii does have a small gathering of very unique and excellent third party games and more to come. I am definitely not left for wanting with this system. I could understand how some others are though. Myself? I got niGHTs2. Im fucking happy :D

Fredescu

Amir0x said:
Yes, we must stamp out the informative posts in favour of dismissive one liners. Go mods!

Its a conspiracy. If more people read Pantherlotus posts there would be far far far far less suptidity and posts in sales threads.

spelling mistake for dramatic thread

Amir0x

Banned
If he wants to be informative, he can link to the thread and add his little insights. Otherwise it becomes spam.

Christine

He's got a point, PL. It does scroll the screen terribly, it's kind of a rude thing to do to someone else's thread.

Innotech

Banned
Panther really only needed to post the red graph of combined HD totals to prove his point, but I think you went al ittle overboard ami.

It's only been in the last year or so that people realized the Wii should have more of their attention so if developers and publishers were smart enough to start back then, they should have some good things to show in the spring or summer expos.

Amir0x

Banned
PantherLotus knows precisely why this is an issue. If this was a first offense or something I wouldn't care - I let his banner spamming go on for weeks - but this has now become systemic of his posts. THAT'S why the major warning. He knows the difference, and so any attempt to bare the cross can be met only with the sort of skepticism warranted of all diehard fanatics.

Banned
No one is making "cool 3rd party games" becuase no one wants to take chances on the wiimote. the wiimote in an innovative device, but no one cares about gameplay through input anymore. There are more interested in telling stories and narratives based on proven control methods.

Every once in a while you will get a team that does want to experiment with gameplay through input, but that is a rarity. if Nintendo wanted 3rd party games they would have been better off just ripping off the snes pad, adding a second stick and bumping the wii specs way past the PS3.

Edit: Why is Ami so ticked lately? he bans Tiki for making a crack in the wiisports thread(which was the truth, to be honest) and now this?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I'm not sure how this thread being posted for the 33rd time isn't spam but me posting an excellent point-for-point answer to the question IS, but w/e blows your skirt up, Amir0x. If banning me for trying to contribute rather than locking relentlessly redundant threads will help you sleep at night, then maybe I need a different hobby, eh?

Amir0x

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
I don't see why this is such an issue. Nude crosses for all!

damn the english trickery!

PantherLotus: If you wish to do Nintendo's PR job that's your prerogative, but you'll do it without the spam.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Amir0x said:

PantherLotus: If you wish to do Nintendo's PR job, that's your prerogative, but you'll do it without the spam.

That's the 4th time you've accused me of being a viral marketer, and that actually IS against the TOS. What's up with that?

donny2112

Innotech said:
because while it lacks high profile releases, the Wii does have a small gathering of very unique and excellent third party games and more to come.

Yep. In the U.S., the 360 will be the PS2 for blockbuster third-party releases while the Wii will be the PS2 for all the quirky, smallish-type third-party releases. PS3 seems likely to continue getting mostly hand-me-downs from the 360 in the U.S., similar to the Xbox though mostly day-and-date releases instead of timed exclusives. It'll be very surprising if MGS4 and FFXIII stay PS3 exclusive thoughout this generation in the U.S. It'll either mean that a) they sold as well/better as on the PS2 despite a drastically smaller userbase, b) Konami and Square-Enix like to leave most of the money on the table with their biggest U.S. franchises, or c) Sony moneyhats loyalty.

Wii Ware might be a good outlet for more of the quirky, smallish-type third-party releases, as well, though I doubt it'll have anywhere near the throughput as normal retail sales.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm sorry, I would have said "PantherLotus is a viral marketer" if I wanted to call you out on that. I don't dance around my words

Dunlop

PantherLotus said:
That's the 4th time you've accused me of being a viral marketer, and that actually IS against the TOS. What's up with that?

You ask him to PM you, but now are derailing the thread to start your own drama.

Hint: He can ban you so the power struggle will be a little one sided

To the OP, I just don't see these mega titles ever coming to the Wii. The Wii's stride is definately geared to the casual gamer and they can still make a lot of money without the stupid investment that they need for the 360/PS3.

I'm with you however, but I really don't see myself ever purchasing a non Nintendo game for the Wii.

beef3483

Amir0x said:

PantherLotus: If you wish to do Nintendo's PR job that's your prerogative, but you'll do it without the spam.

Or heaven forbid, he just likes what Nintendo has to offer. Why are you always accusing others of being a fanboy? Most especially when they don't share your opinions?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I say this every week- Western developers will give Wii decent support, but nothing too special with maybe a few exceptions. Japanese developers on the other hand will give Wii its share of big games IMO.

When wii software sales become congruent with hardware numbers.
What did nmh sell in USA?
I cant blame some companies when you put alot of effort into a product and it goes unnoticed (we love golf) so it makes sense to develop for a platform with a good track record for software sales (360) and then easily port to ps3. Some major defections are needed to change the scenario. Monster hunter could do it. Maybe dqx is a good possibility and not out of the question. As for the west...?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The reason the Wii will never be getting all the cool 3rd party games is because it is on a platform so stupidly behind the other 3 major formats (360, PS3, PC) that it simply isn't cost effective. The only exclusives the Wii will ever get from western publishers will be limited to kids games, mass-market games, women's games, old people games, and games where waggle can appeal to one of those audiences.

The Wii will score some surprising Japanese exclusives that will be announced in the next few months, but they will not be enough to change this image that the hardcore has of the Wii.

Amir0x

Banned
beef3483 said:
Or heaven forbid, he just likes what Nintendo has to offer. Why are you always accusing others of being a fanboy? Most especially when they don't share your opinions?

It's not an accusation.

Edit: Now everything that needed to be said has been said, and every reason you need to learn why this isn't appropriate exists in this thread.

Thread creation exists for a reason. If you make a thread to contain a large amount of information, that means you do not use OTHER threads to do the same thing over again. That's called spam. So if you have further questions, *PM*

btkadams

lots of 3rd party devs have said they're reluctant to develop for the wii because only 1st party games have been known to sell for nintendos system. im sure the devs hear your cries but the casual crowd only buys mario games and right now they are the ones that control the Wii's future.

beef3483

schuelma said:
I say this every week- Western developers will give Wii decent support, but nothing too special with maybe a few exceptions. Japanese developers on the other hand will give Wii its share of big games IMO.

I think so too. Just probably not MGS or FF.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
probably never

a. it's unclear that cool games would do better on wii than on ps360
b. the average wii owner would rather have uncool games anyway
c. nobody actually wants to make wii games

whenever someone starts talking ps3 vs 360 sales, ninthings show up and say that excluding wii from the discussion is arbitrary. well, this is why it isn't arbitrary -- at least from a development perspective, the market has divided into casual and traditional segments, and wii is never going to get anything resembling 'first place' support

...and if ninthings are frank with themselves, they can probably learn to like this state of affairs: motion controls are a dismally poor substitute for contemporary hardware, and cool 3rd party games are much better off where they are

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
btkadams said:
lots of 3rd party devs have said they're reluctant to develop for the wii because only 1st party games have been known to sell for nintendos system. im sure the devs hear your cries but the casual crowd only buys mario games and right now they are the ones that control the Wii's future.

This excuse is old and tired

Chumly

Amir0x said:

O noes someone doesnt share the same views as Amir0x.

Honestly whats the big deal? PantherLotus is the least of GAF's problems lately. Theres a bigger issue of trolls gone wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom