• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just went back to Doom...

And boy does it hold up. This feeling I missed a lot. Just running around shooting at everything that moves while getting shot from every conceivable position. I play in nightmare so enemies respawn constantly, and I have to really give it my all in order to complete mission.

Right now I just completed the first chapter, and I'm going to play the second one for the first one in my life. Previously I had only played the shareware version so all this is new to me. I have to thank my urge to play Doom 3 and straight up purchasing Doom 3 BFG, which had all three games plus DLC.

Next maybe I'll play some quake...

CMDBob

Yup. Doom still holds up amazingly well. Doom 2 is just as good too (the extra monsters and super shotgun are amazing, but some of the maps feel a bit under-par compared to some of Doom 1). Even Doom 3 is still good, in it's own way.

Quake's just as fun, but it's a tad brown, so prepare your eyes!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
He'll yes.

Also, the only way we can get good Doom-like games these days is with Indies.

The ROTT reboot is pretty good for old school FPS. And check out a game called GunGodz. It's more Wolfenstein but has some good combat and amazing hip hop music. And I don't like hip hop.

It does weirdly hold up. Like it shouldn't, but it really does. No aiming for headshots. No scopes. No melee attacks outside your fists. Just point n' shoot. It's very stress relieving.

Yasawas

Yup, still the king. I put hundreds of hours into the SNES version as a youngster and then rebought it many times on formats more becoming of it. Most recently I bought Doom 3 on PS3 purely to have a copy of Doom I could play on the big telly.

The SNES version is also the most expensive game I've bought in my life which is odd considering it's been nearly 20 years and I was only 15 at the time. £83 with inflation!

hlhbk

Ah the greatness known as Doom. I really need to do like my 1000th play through soon. Nothing today can touch it.

Teknoman

And boy does it hold up. This feeling I missed a lot. Just running around shooting at everything that moves while getting shot from every conceivable position. I play in nightmare so enemies respawn constantly, and I have to really give it my all in order to complete mission.

Right now I just completed the first chapter, and I'm going to play the second one for the first one in my life. Previously I had only played the shareware version so all this is new to me. I have to thank my urge to play Doom 3 and straight up purchasing Doom 3 BFG, which had all three games plus DLC.

If you play Quake 1 or 2, make sure you have access to the soundtracks.

I've been on a classic FPS kick as of late. Played through Doom 1+2, Duke Nukem 3D, Hexen, PowerSlave (aka Exhumed is some regions), Quake 1+2 and Alien Trilogy. All of which were great to varying degrees.
It can't be the nostalgia goggles as I hadn't played any of the above before but I greatly enjoyed all those more than any FPS released in the last 5 years. Not sure if that is indicative of my taste or the quality of the modern shooter. Ahh well doesn't matter I guess.
Gonna play Deus Ex and Systen Shock 1+2 next :)

Yeah, Doom is like Mario in that its base gameplay and level design ensure that while it will age, it will (seemingly)never become "old".

The XBLA versions are fun too. The lack of vertical axis movement greatly helps aiming quickly with analog sticks much the same way 3D Sonic plays so well in Generations due to 2 axis movement in a 3D world.

It's a shame other console FPS (or other 3D games) don't use 2 axis movement instead of 3 to speed up the pacing

Lurch666

I make a point of keeping doom installed on my PC.
When I first got it I made a point of transferring it every time I changed HD's/upgraded my PC and I still have it.

Grayman

I still play Doom (with zdoom) and Quake (darkspaces for single player) regularly.

As you put it "Just running around shooting at everything that moves while getting shot from every conceivable position." those games do this better than anything coming out today and for me it makes the replay feel limitless.

As someone else mentioned grab the soundtracks for the quake games if you play those. Quake doesn't throw up quite as many monsters but the level design is similar to DOOM but in 3d. Quake 2 is kind of an awkward half phase between classic doom and half life, not sure how it holds up.

Yup! This game is still more advanced than most modern first person shooters IMO. The level design in particular destroys all of the linear crap coming out these days.

YuShtink

I think the main thing that makes Doom so playable to this day (similar to Super Mario Bros.) is just how smooth it plays and controls. It just feels right.

I knew I was getting into something the moment I saw the difficulty screen.
Man, the memories!

doom3.jpg

Yeah it really does. A few weeks ago I was playing through PS1 Doom via TV out on my CFW PSP, and was amazed at how much fun it was to play today. The rush you get after surviving a difficult encounter is awesome. The amount of secret paths is also rather amazing. I scour levels and still am missing 50% of my secrets discovery at level's end.

The game has some surprisingly satisfying combat and I think the simple sprite animations help for that. Reactions are immediate as a result, so it really helps with the visual feedback. But really, almost every element of design ends up synergizing with the rest and everything's in the service of how it plays, and with really nothing else like it in the genre it still holds up.

More games need difficulty modes so crazy that they need a disclaimer before starting.

After Marathon's dual shotguns, I never could bring myself to play Doom. :(
Those things felt like Nerf guns by comparison, even to Doom's standard shotgun.

Yep, it's still fantastic. The freedom, the exploration, the simple (and great) gameplay, the atmosphere and soundtrack...everything fits together perfectly.

I'm sorry Doc, but after trying out Marathon again... those games are neat but dated. Floaty, empty, not great secrets, confusing samey-looking mazes from the get go, enemy variety is poor from the start.

I actually loaded up a Doom mod that adds Marathon's enemies and weapons and had more fun playing through Hangar and Nuclear Plant because of the tightness of the controls, physics, and maps than I did in the entirety of messing around in Marathon.

Doom is like Mario. It controls and plays wonderfully even 20 years later, with levels that are just as tightly designed and full of secrets or just fun to speedrun.

DocSeuss

What's with you and Marathon?

It's not like I talk about it all that much. But yeah, when I compare it to Doom, Marathon wins for me. *shrug*

I've always felt like the praise for Doom more accurately describes Marathon.

Those things felt like Nerf guns by comparison, even to Doom's standard shotgun.

This doesn't even sound remotely true. Everything dies with the WSTE's, and that animation is superb.

I'm sorry Doc, but after trying out Marathon again... those games are neat but dated. Floaty, empty, not great secrets, confusing samey-looking mazes from the get go, enemy variety is poor from the start.

I actually loaded up a Doom mod that adds Marathon's enemies and weapons and had more fun playing through Hangar and Nuclear Plant because of the tightness of the controls, physics, and maps than I did in the entirety of messing around in Marathon.

Doom is like Mario. It controls and plays wonderfully even 20 years later, with levels that are just as tightly designed and full of secrets or just fun to speedrun.

If you feel that way, you feel that way. I picked up Marathon for the first time in 2006 or 2007, and it, honestly, is the only series from that era I can enjoy. Everything else is just... the speed is off, the enemies are boring, and mouselook's desperately needed. *shrug*

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Nailed it. I'm sure Marathon was amazing on Mac in the 90's, but it's time to let it go. It simply doesn't hold up now a days and Bungie did better games since then.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Doom is so satisfying because it gets down to business so fast.

I enjoy playing through your average Call of Duty campaign, but replaying them? Lol no. Doom is different in that regard.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I don't think there's ever a greater feeling than killing 7 or so zombiemen with a single shot of the super shotgun. If only modern shooters could give me that kind of satisfaction, I could fall in love with the genre again.

Doom II is the refinement of the ever lasting Doom.

Doom III however was the slippery slope to ever degrading gameplay quality for the series. I & II were played endlessly after school with mates taking turns in campaign after each death. They also gave rise to PC LAN parties, which were also endless fun, until Quake 3 arrived that is.

Oh coax networking...do I love you or loath you?

GhaleonEB

I played the hell out of DOOM back when if first came out on PC, but only played DOOM II for the first time when it hit XBLA. I had fond memories of DOOM, but wasn't sure if the gameplay - which is unchanged from the first game - would hold up. Um. Yeah. It does. I went back and played through the first DOOM on XBLA after.

Not only is the play very tight and satisfying, but the level design is very inventive. The enemies are really only half the challenge in the game. There's this perpetual feeling that levels themselves are trying to kill you (not just the creatures that inhabit them), and through persistence, exploration and often raw desperation you can overcome them.

I tend to play on the second hardest difficulty - Nightmare is just too punishing - and the feeling of getting through a level by the skin my teeth and the exhilaration and satisfaction that comes from it is something I've run into very few times since. You don't clear levels so much as survive them.

As a side note, it's one of those games where the now common recharging health meter would undercut the tension in the game. Scouring maps for one tiny shard of armor or scrap of health is a huge part of the game and it would suffer without that dynamic.

Odrion

Banned
Lot of Doom talk lately.

Which is good, because it is objectively the greatest game ever.

Subjectively the greatest human accomplishment ever.

edit: Ultra Violence is THE difficulty as far as I'm concerned. Makes each encounter important without being bullshit, and it has really great resource management as ammunition is burned through quickly and you're always keeping in mind that you'll need to save your ammo for the really big encounters.

DocSeuss

Doom II is the refinement of the ever lasting Doom.

Doom III however was the slippery slope to ever degrading gameplay quality for the series. I & II were played endlessly after school with mates taking turns in campaign after each death. They also gave rise to PC LAN parties, which were also endless fun, until Quake 3 arrived that is.

Oh coax networking...do I love you or loath you?

Ever-degrading?

Has there even been a Doom since Doom 3, aside from its expansions?

Can we maybe wait for Doom 4 to come out to see? Maybe?

StayDead

It's funny how we went from Doom, arguably still one of the best FPS games ever made to more modern games. Doom still tells a better story than the vast majority of modern FPS games and it plays a hell of a lot better too.

Ooccoo

Do yourself a favor and try Brutal Doom. It's glorious.

qq more

I think a lot of FPS devs should take notes from Doom. There is just honestly so much I want to say about those games, they're really ridiculously fun and satisfying to play. I replayed it with my friend a few months ago and I think it was his first time experiencing through the entire campaign, we both had soooooooooooo much fun.

The level design is still the best in the FPS genre, it's full of variety and well through out design. The gunplay is brilliant, the super shotgun gets so satisfying whenever you kill multiple enemies at once, or one-shot a really tough enemy. The game manages to be challenging without being cheap. And it does not force some dumb story down your throat, it just gets down to business, it just drops you to whatever level and you go kill shit. And while the controls are entirely different and limiting compared to modern FPS, the game still controls very solidly.

One of the greatest games of all time! I also think the visuals holds up very well to this day, it helps that they're entirely sprite based. It has this sort of style that you don't normally see in other 3D games.

The hit reactions in doom are much much more satisfying.

100% this. Just tried Duranadal. I liked some stuff I saw in it.. .but damn if it aged really poorly. Doom has soo much more for tightness of gameplay.

The_Lump

Banned
Huh, came in expecting a Nintendo thread :/

Agree with OP. It's utterly timeless for me.

Oh, and as others have mentioned; Brutal Doom is amazing. Seriously.

doofy102

I played this for the first time a few months ago. Absolutely loved it.

A lot of the fun comes from the fact you are moving around a lot as you aim and shoot (the dodgeable enemy projectiles really help push this style of gameplay.)

It's even more disappointing to me now that FPS's of modern days have the player stuck behind a wall. Gameplay should be all about movement.

Doom was based off the traditional design of a top-down shooter, wasn't it?

Ever-degrading?

Has there even been a Doom since Doom 3, aside from its expansions?

Can we maybe wait for Doom 4 to come out to see? Maybe?

Generalising ID games post Doom II really, a little harsh maybe but I haven't thoroughly liked anything out of ID since Doom II and Quake 3, which had a short life for me/friends by comparison. Rage, Wolfenstein remake & Doom III didn't keep my interest beyond graphics. I hope Doom IV brings it though.

I regularly return to Doom and Doom II. Both games have held up admirably. Still got a fucksight more atmosphere than a lot of modern games.

That's how they played at the time too. I don't know about Doc but I over valued them as I grew up in a mac household and had to be grateful for any gaming bones was thrown our OS' way.

Top Bottom