• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just went back to Doom...

Raptomex

I've always thought about creating a Doom OT here for Doom 1, 2, and Final Doom. Not sure if it's allowed and I've never done an OT before. This site needs more Doom recognition.

Gattsu25

Banned
It's not actually geometry. /nitpick

E1M6
7mKtppm.gif

hlhbk

I've always thought about creating a Doom OT here for Doom 1, 2, and Final Doom. Not sure if it's allowed and I've never done an OT before. This site needs more Doom recognition.

You really should! I would love a guide that shows the best source port to use and how to get the games to look their best!

Kolgar

Ohhh Goddd Doom 64 EX...

It's my first time.

My soul has just gone Berserk!

I hope you are enjoying yourself. Unlock the frame rate? That makes the game feel so amazing (turn off Vsync too, it has probs I think with the framerate unlock).

Thanks, man! Will try that. Game looks a revelation in widescreen. It's the stuff of glorious dreams (or nightmares!). I have wanted this for years. Sooo good.

H2Yo

Doom 2 is just as good too (the extra monsters and super shotgun are amazing, but some of the maps feel a bit under-par compared to some of Doom 1).

This reminded me of level 20 (I think) where you have to fight a Cyberdemon and a Spider Mastermind in the one room... Oh and then opens a door with 2 archviles that resurrect enemies!

The /vr/ thread on Doom is always great, so an official thread here should be fun. Lots of talk on upcoming WADs and stuff like that, and maybe multiplayer hosting.

Raptomex

The /vr/ thread on Doom is always great, so an official thread here should be fun. Lots of talk on upcoming WADs and stuff like that, and maybe multiplayer hosting.
Exactly. I want to make one detailing the games, source ports, and some WAD recommendations. Also, Doom Builder and other Doom editing stuff.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
just because it has different gameplay does not make it infinitely worse.

For example, you are reqarded for better aim with more damage. At the same time the enemies are much more aggressive, do more damage, and are faster than in the original.

I see so many negative commenta towards Brutal Doom it's ridiculous. They single BD out too when in reality like all mods you don't have to play it. But they'll go out of there way to really bash it. The fact remains it does change the gameplay. It's faster paced and Sgt. Mark rebalanced everything like weapons, damage, and enemy behavior. And those people don't have to play it. I personally love it and vanilla Doom.

I always have multiple Doom source ports installed and ready to go. I keep GZDoom running for vanilla Doom, Zandronum autoloaded with Brutal Doom, chocolate Dooom for a real nostalgia trip, and ZDoom for some stuff too. And of course Doom 64 EX.
Yup. I knew from the moment Brutal Doom was mentioned, it would be torn apart, as if it ruined the original game. Well guess what? You can still play Doom, as is. If you don't like it, don't play it. But you don't have to go on about how it allegedly ruined Doom in your mind.

Grayman

Mouselook is fine as long as you don't enable crouching, flying, jumping, or any other bullshit that has no place in an older Doom game.

Edit: Reworded to avoid appearing that I was criticizing the great Heretic and Hexen games. Love those.

yeah i guess mouse look isn't too bad. I play with only horizontal but disable the old school forwards/backwards movement that the dos version had.

GooeyHeat

Mouselook is fine as long as you don't enable crouching, flying, jumping, or any other bullshit that has no place in an older Doom game.

Edit: Reworded to avoid appearing that I was criticizing the great Heretic and Hexen games. Love those.
Make sure you make mouselook horizontal-only. Best way to play with modern controls while not breaking the level design.

Absolutely not.

Brutal Doom is fun, but it's a bastardised Doom experience. The thrill of Doom is not visceral gore and ceaseless noise, it's careful encounter design, exploration, conservation and tactics. Brutal Doom throws that all out for bullet spam. It's wearying seeing it come up in every Doom thread, especially if it's labelled as "how Doom should have been", or "would have been" if the tech existed.

It is enjoyable but it should not be someone's first experience of Doom, or considered any kind of improvement or, god forbid, replacement.

Edit: But, catching up, yeah, it's overdone; play whatever you want to play, it's just my two cents.

jpax

I too love old school shooters! The next best thing right now is Shadow Warrior, I think. Amazing sword play and good gun play, alot of secrets and not too much corridor sequences.
Doom 2 would be my favorite.

bj00rn_

Banned
If you like the Doom you should check out the Serious Sam games. No guarantee that you'll like it but in my opinion it successfully captures some of Doom's essens like no other "modern" FPS.

If you like the Doom you should check out the Serious Sam games. No guarantee that you'll like it but in my opinion it successfully captures some of Doom's essens like no other "modern" FPS.
Serious Sam isn't even close to feeling like Doom, imo. Doom has level design, Serious Sam has killboxes.

Aquashark

Banned

pottuvoi

Banned
Doom Nightmare pistol only, those were the times.

Also did a mod in which all zombies were invisible unless they were hit or shooting. (Modified all sprites so that only small area around shotgun was visible.)
Suddenly old good shotgun zombies were quite fearsome indeed.

TUROK

I never found the appeal of Brutal Doom. I'm more of a ultra-difficult megawad type of dude. Hell Revealed 1 and 2, Alien Vendetta, and all that cool stuff. I'm currently playing through Plutonia 2.

peakish

Just this weekend I got off my butt and downloaded Chocolate Doom along with a new MIDI soundfont that has been recommended in earlier Doom threads (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=90451643&postcount=279). It's so much fun going back to the basics and playing keyboard only, low resolution Doom with sounds that blow away the standard Windows MIDI stuff.

It sucks that I'm too bad to play on Nightmare, maybe I'll be able to some time but not yet :/

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Interresting topic! I've been trying to straight up play the Steam versions of the games and it's kind of crappy. I'll try ZDOOM or some of the other recommendations.

BTW I'm a weirdo who mostly played Doom on SNES, can I easilly set up a controller with ZDOOM or one of the other ports?

Khaz

Interresting topic! I've been trying to straight up play the Steam versions of the games and it's kind of crappy. I'll try ZDOOM or some of the other recommendations.

BTW I'm a weirdo who mostly played Doom on SNES, can I easilly set up a controller with ZDOOM or one of the other ports?

I think all these old 2D-with-fake-height Doom-like are a very good fit for gamepad play. Having movement on the crosspad and strafing on the shoulder buttons works wonders. I used to play like this on the Saturn and it didn't feel gimped at all.

Seik

Banned
Me too, OP. I had the same experience lately.

Thank god the Doom 3 BFG edition has the OG soundtrack for Doom. I really hated the atmospheric themes that came out on almost all the console versions.

One funny thing I noticed while me and a friend both bought BFG when it came out, but each on different consoles. Was that the music's tempo of the 360 version of Doom is slower than the PS3 version, which is perfect.

Aurongel

Wait, the general consensus is that Brutal Doom is bad? I remember enjoying the ways it adjusted the enemy AI from what I was used to.

A-V-B

Wait, the general consensus is that Brutal Doom is bad? I remember enjoying the ways it adjusted the enemy AI from what I was used to.

Brutal Doom is a lot of fun. Obviously it's different from Vanilla Doom, but it's a mod so of course it is. They're both great.

Some people are so obsessed with vanilla Doom they single out BD for some reason and no other mods.
I see so many negative commenta towards Brutal Doom it's ridiculous. They single BD out too when in reality like all mods you don't have to play it. But they'll go out of there way to really bash it.
There's a good reason it's singled out: every Doom thread under the sun has a "play it with Brutal Doom" post in it within the first few pages (if not the first page), sometimes with disclaimers that it's what Doom should have been. Every single Doom thread. No other Doom mod has this vocal a fanbase. It gets grating extremely quickly.

Raptomex

There's a good reason it's singled out: every Doom thread under the sun has a "play it with Brutal Doom" post in it within the first few pages (if not the first page), sometimes with disclaimers that it's what Doom should have been. Every single Doom thread. No other Doom mod has this vocal a fanbase. It gets grating extremely quickly.
Because it really changes the gameplay and intensidies the action. That's also why so many people. It's a well created mod worth checking out and even I would recommend it to any Doom fans. But whether you're interested or like it is all down to your preference and it's completely optional.

forrest

formerly nacire
I'd love to see a Voxel remake of Doom with some current graphical tech and lighting. Could be really fun!

Because it really changes the gameplay and intensidies the action. That's also why so many people. It's a well created mod worth checking out and even I would recommend it to any Doom fans. But whether you're interested or like it is all down to your preference and it's completely optional.
Regardless, it's pimped to high heavens in every Doom-related GAF thread, so decrying it being singled out as if it was totally unjustified seems a bit naive.

Top Bottom