• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just went back to Doom...

I regularly return to Doom and Doom II. Both games have held up admirably. Still got a fucksight more atmosphere than a lot of modern games.

Definitely play doom 64 EX then. If you have never played doom 64 it is a must play for any doom fan.

64 EX unlike absolution is 100% faithful to the original 64 game with the ability to unlock the framerate and pump up the res. It is wonderful (also xbox 360 pad support if you care!)

Teknoman

I regularly return to Doom and Doom II. Both games have held up admirably. Still got a fucksight more atmosphere than a lot of modern games.

If only big developers could see that too.

Guns are just really fun to use too. Really good feedback for such simple graphics and sound.

Kolgar

Definitely play doom 64 EX then. If you have never played doom 64 it is a must play for any doom fan.

64 EX unlike absolution is 100% faithful to the original 64 game with the ability to unlock the framerate and pump up the res. It is wonderful (also xbox 360 pad support if you care!)

Thank you for this! My first Doom was PSX Doom and it altered my reality. Then along came Doom 64 and things went to a whole new level.

Those colors. Those sprites. That same eerie, amazing soundtrack. (To this day I cannot play a Doom game with the original music.)

And now you are telling me I can relive the awesome in high res with a 360 pad?

Bless you, kind sir!

EDIT: Found Doom 1 PS1 at a thrift store the other day, did they change the enemies in certain levels?
I believe they changed quite a few things. At the time, I know the "enhanced lighting effects" of this version were hyped up as something the PSX's power was able to add to the game.

Nokterian

Can fully agree with that. Got every doom game in my steam library even all the hexen/heretic games. Also playing Doom 1 and 2 with the mod Brutal Doom makes it even more fun! Even after all those years i get scared when your going to a dark corner and you know there lurking there to attack you.

Nokterian

Brutal Doom is cool but it sure as hell ain't Doom.

796.gif

Anyone who thinks Brutal Doom adds anything to the original game needs to GTFO.

"adds" is the wrong word. It is a completely different game, that in its own right, is great.

Playing doom and brutal doom are two different things. They are both awesome though.

Gattsu25

Banned
EDIT: Found Doom 1 PS1 at a thrift store the other day, did they change the enemies in certain levels?
Not only did they change the enemy placements (including sticking Doom 2 enemies in Doom 1 when playing on Ultra Violence) but they also altered the level geometry in some areas (to make the levels smaller).

I love some of the changes that they made, though. The colored lighting is WTFamazing and the new music is some of the best.

Nokterian

Anyone who thinks Brutal Doom adds anything to the original game needs to GTFO.

Even John Romero likes it and if Doom was released like that today then it would get 18+ rating out of the wazoo. There both awesome and different that's what makes mods cool.

halfbeast

Banned
2 years ago I bought Wolfenstein 3D on the ps store and was still having a great time! I always nerdgasm over those dorky sound effects. surprisingly, I remembered some of the secret rooms after SO many years. I keep forgetting my e-banking login information (something I use at least once a month) but I know the secret rooms in Wolfenstein... priorities, man.

What's the best way to play this on a modern computer nowadays? All I know the Steam version is less than ideal, but I don't actually know what's actually good.

Raptomex

It's not actually geometry. /nitpick
Greatest FPS series ever. I play it regularly. Check out Brutal Doom. It really increases the action and it's awesome. Some people are so obsessed with vanilla Doom they single out BD for some reason and no other mods. Deapite what they say BD is great. The action is intense.

I love vanilla Doom as much as the next guy and do play it regularly.

If you're into playing some fan created wads check out
Hell Revealed
Community Chests (I think there's 4 of them now)
PSX Doom conversion
Alien Vendetta
10 Sectors
Eternal Doom

What's the best way to play this on a modern computer nowadays? All I know the Steam version is less than ideal, but I don't actually know what's actually good.

Zandronum is you are looking for nice upressed stuff with easy modding.

Chocolate doom if you are looking for the ultra authentic low res original quirks in some stuff.

I play Zandronum primarily.

The Steam "version" is just the regular version with DOSBox.

Buy the Steam version (or any other version), and run the game in your source port of choice (Look at ZDoom/GZDoom/Skulltag/Zandronum for modern features, Chocolate Doom for a stable recreation of the original DOS release).

The Steam "version" is just the regular version with DOSBox.

Buy the Steam version (or any other version), and run the game in your source port of choice (Look at ZDoom/GZDoom/Skulltag/Zandronum for modern features, Chocolate Doom for a stable recreation of the original DOS release).

Yea zdoom is pretty clean although i don't mind the default.

Sophia

I keep Doom and Doom 2 on my desktop with Chocolate Doom just so I can replay them here and there. They're so awesome.

Sophia

what is chocolate doom?

Chocolate Doom is a source port of Doom that accurately replicates how Doom was suppose to be played originally. Most source ports change stuff regarding the gameplay or graphics, but Chocolate Doom does not.

It is the best way to play Doom now if you're not going to play mods.

I'm sorry Doc, but after trying out Marathon again... those games are neat but dated. Floaty, empty, not great secrets, confusing samey-looking mazes from the get go, enemy variety is poor from the start.

This is a difference of opinion that is purely subjective. It's like the old fights between Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament devotees. It's a different feel, different style, different objectives in game design.

For that reason, I'd never put up DOOM and Marathon head-to-head -- DOOM came first after all, and Marathon was a response to that, with a different design direction in mind.

Damaniel

Banned
One of the things I'm most guilty of is never playing the original Doom (or Doom 2) in their entirety. Part of that was because I didn't own a computer that could play it until 1996, and I was playing games almost exclusively on consoles anyway (and never got around to picking up any of the assorted, mostly mediocre, ports).

I own them all on Steam, and went and installed Ultimate Doom (along with GZDoom) after I started reading this thread. It's definitely still fun even 20 years on. Definitely a case where gameplay trumps all - you know it has limitations and even
with a modern port the game still looks like something out of the 90s, but after taking out a room full of enemies with a shotgun and finding a rocket launcher, you realize you don't care about any of that.

I still have my copy of Tricks of the Doom Programming Gurus and 3D Game Alchemy (both of which were books that contained instructions and tools oriented toward Doom and Hexen level creators). I also remember spending more time trying to create WADs than actually playing Doom by the time I got around to picking it up.

Raptomex

I see so many negative commenta towards Brutal Doom it's ridiculous. They single BD out too when in reality like all mods you don't have to play it. But they'll go out of there way to really bash it. The fact remains it does change the gameplay. It's faster paced and Sgt. Mark rebalanced everything like weapons, damage, and enemy behavior. And those people don't have to play it. I personally love it and vanilla Doom.

I always have multiple Doom source ports installed and ready to go. I keep GZDoom running for vanilla Doom, Zandronum autoloaded with Brutal Doom, chocolate Dooom for a real nostalgia trip, and ZDoom for some stuff too. And of course Doom 64 EX.

Finalizer

Chocolate Doom if you wanna jack off to muh oldschool
PrBoom if you want the classic feel without being outright archaic
Zdoom if you want Doom with modern trimmings

klee123

I personally love Brutal Doom and can't play the original anymore thanks to it.

It basically combines modern fps elements with Doom, but with much more difficult and aggressive enemies.

For me, this injects new life to the old but solid FPS which I played so much of over the years.

krpiper

What is the best way to play DOOM now anyway? on steam? zdoom? also should I play one or two?

I only played the shareware version on PC and I think the GBA version I would like to see what I have been missing

Raptomex

What is the best way to play DOOM now anyway? on steam? zdoom? also should I play one or two?

I only played the shareware version on PC and I think the GBA version I would like to see what I have been missing
Download them from Steam or a copy of you have them, take the installed wads and use a source port.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
It still has better atmosphere than the vast majority of modern games.

GooeyHeat

whats the difference between final and ultimate doom?

Also if I get the steam copies can I use them in zdoom or anything like that
The Ultimate Doom is the first Doom game, featuring an episode that was added after release called "Thy Flesh Consumed". Final Doom is two tough-as-nails 32-level games made by TeamTNT and picked up for official release by id.

And yeah, you can use the Steam copies in any source port (I recommend Zandronum). Simply find doom.wad, doom2.wad, plutonia.wad, and tnt.wad, and point your source port towards that. Some can even find them automatically.

Ultimate Doom is Doom 1's retail release, which had an extra fourth super-difficult episode.

Final Doom is actually two fan-made MegaWADs (TNT: Evilution and Plutonia Experiment) from a mod team that impressed id so much that they picked up Evilution as an official project, helped them polish it up, asked them to make Plutonia Experiment as well, and published it. It's extremely hard, Plutonia especially.

Raptomex

Any copies you get you can use in a source port. Ultimate Doom is the original game in it's entirety along with the Thy Flesh Consumed episode.

Final Doom is is a separate game consisting of Evilution and The Plutonia Experiment not developed by id but by TeamTNT. Personally, I prefer their Eternal Doom wad which is free. Some mods may require specific games but any source port will use the official game wads of Doom, Doom 2, Plutonia, and TNT.

FYC

Banned

IIRC Final Doom is basically a Doom II mappack, Ultimate Doom is Doom with the 4th Episode, Thy Flesh Consumed.

The steam version should work fine with sourceports. I'd recommend Chocolate Doom if this is your first time, personally.

Top Bottom