• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE 186 scores

Scores

Devil May Cry 4 - 8
Turok - 5
Frontlines: Fuel of War - 7
Conflict: Denied Ops - 5
Dynasty Warriors 6 - 7
Advance Wars - Days of Ruin - 8
Patapon - 8
Trauma Centre: New Blood - 7
Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom - 4
Yuusha no Kuse Ni Namaikida - 7
Pixeljunk Monsters - 7
Beautiful Katamari - 6
Omega Five - 6
Sonic Rivals 2 - 5
Riff: Everyday Shooter - 8

Hype

LittleBigPlanet
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Empire Of Sports
Project Origin
Alone In The Dark
De Blob
Disgaea 3
Lego Batman
Sega Superstars Tennis
Schizoid
Just Cause 2
Baroque

Articles

Brick Dangerous - Lego Indiana Jones
Ever Decreasing Circles - Xbox 360 so far, problems and future
Marqued Men - Interview with five racing game developers
Reel Gaming - Movie adaptations of videogames

Time Extend - Disgaea
Making of The Thing

NOTE:

EDGE, or How i stopped worrying and love the review system.
10=ten
9=nine
etc
2=two
1=one
A rule of thumb, anything with 6 or higher is worth looking at.

soul

Just 8 for DMC? I was sure EDGE is going for another 10.

this thread fails without the rumormill

Gowans

Will pick this up when it gets in the shops end of this week.

Really need to read the Omega Five review to see its context, its one of my fave games this year.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I didn't get last month's issue, so I hope I'll get this one...
What do they have to say about LBP?
Borys said:
In the UK and the rest of Europe, most likely it's true.

batbeg

Hype for Baroque? I honestly wasn't expecting it to make it to the UK, now I may have to actually check it out a bit more thoroughly (EDGE is a UK based magazine, right?).

Any new LittleBigPlanet info?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
an 8 for patapon? I wasnt impressed with the demo at all, might give it another shot.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
LittleBigPlanet??

Any new info?!

It's on the cover "The new DIY Revolution: How LittleBigPlanet will transform gaming on the PS3".

le.phat

whatever did MS do to get this much slack over its future ? i mean, this is one too many editorial dedicating an entire article to 360 being put down.

le.phat said:
whatever did MS do to get this much slack over its future ? i mean, this is one too many editorial dedicating an entire article to 360 being put down.
it's edge.

flipping_heck said:
tbh, i was expecting 7 or lower for DMC4 :p

That's kind of what it deserves in the grand scheme of gaming history if we're going to assign ruthless Edge-style scores. It's quite good but I don't know if people are going to be name-checking it a year from now the way they still do Ninja Gaiden and DMC 3.

Surprised they didn't give Monsters the UK scorebump to an 8, though. It's in the exact same category of quirky addictiveness as Patapon.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They've done pieces like this before.. with Xbox, they had a "Operation Xbox: Is it terminal?" cover story at one point. The actual article was rather humoursly illustrated with photos of a Xbox in hospital, at various stages of treatment, bandages, wheelchairs, operations, the works :p

Of course, the conclusion was far less sensationalist ("Make no mistake, Microsoft is in this for the long haul")..

I'm guessing the question they're looking at in this article, on 360, is whether it'll ever surpass 2007, in terms of creative chops/acclaim etc, which they may view as a possible peak.

glaurung

Kabouter said:
Probably true.
I'm much less excited for the 360 in '08 than I was in '07. MS needs to unveil some big new games that are actually exclusive.

T-t-t-t-too Human!

And maybe Gears of War 2. Though that will probably mark the day of the new XB.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
flipping_heck said:
Turok - 5
Conflict: Denied Ops - 5

Doesn't surprise me, but Turok deserves (out of principle alone) to be rated higher than Conflict.

I will pick this up later this weekend, if only because they are hyping Disgaea 3.

A very ugly cover by their standard though.

guidop

Hey MS thats what you get when you don't announce anything new. Its funny because Sony were in a similar position last year before GDC the press were kinda of down on the triple and it was GDC were they had a few good announcements that really turned the tide in public and press opinion

Well MS pull off a similar feet this GDC?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
pswii60 said:
Anything new about LittleBigPlanet? I really want to see how they're handling enemies etc.

I think we got that explained at CES pretty much..

Enemies = moving, articulated objects with deathly attributes in places etc.

That seems to make the most sense. It adds that kind of element without extending or complicating the interface.

But yeah, I'd like to see if Edge got a first look at any new stuff. It's possible, since they got the world's first coverage on it.

Kabouter

glaurung said:
And maybe Gears of War 2. Though that will probably mark the day of the new XB.
Gears of War 2 is it really, I'm really looking forward to that.
But other than that exclusive-wise?

Salazar

Kabouter said:

Project Offset. PC gets it too - well, in fact, they had it first - so it's not a total exclusive, but it's going to be total goddamn warfaring awesome.

Fable 2 is also going to be better than good - I get the feeling it's going to look pretty as well as deliver on the bulk of Molyneux's specific and nebulous hype. Going to be some game if that happens.

Kabouter

Salazar said:
Project Offset. PC gets it too - well, in fact, they had it first - so it's not a total exclusive, but it's going to be total goddamn warfaring awesome.

Fable 2 is also going to be better than good - I get the feeling it's going to look pretty as well as deliver on the bulk of Molyneux's specific and nebulous hype. Going to be some game if that happens.
Indeed, Offset is also on PC, so not an exclusive :p.
I was talking actual exclusives.

pswii60

Kabouter said:

Well both Shane Kim and Don Mattrick have said that they have lots of announcements to make. As a gamer, I just wish they'd hurry up and make them so I have even more to look forward to.

Shoho

Banned
Kabouter said:

There is some stuff. Too Human 1,2,3, Mass Effect 2,3, Fable 2, Banjo 3, Splinter Cell, next bungie game and so on...

The thing is though(I got a 360) that I dont think Microsoft has done the right thing.
Let's be clear - 360 is great because of the software. much like how its PC industry works, all the software developers are making it happen but the actual Windows/Xbox/Xbox Live is a turd for the masses.
Gaming used to be a niche, now its everymans thing, and now everyone settles for the crappa like they did with windows.

I got a 360, and I acknowledge the systems potential through its game, and slick design and relatively good controller(except for the D-pad).

But what I dont acknowledge is their way keeping their online service(pay to play, for P2P) when you got better stuff out there for free like Steam.

There are just these things that scream foul and cheating. like they are playing dirty and taking advantage of everything. Sure, they are not as evil as some people make them out to be, but I would much rather support a company like Nintendo.
But since I like visual stunning games, its MS or Sony. Boy don't get me started on Sony and all their stupid mistakes...

But regardless. I hope PS3 wins. I hope that 360 will be gone and we will just have two platforms. I hope MS will go back to focus and heal the PC games industry which they have totally fcuked up and neglected. What have they done.
I now wish that I had waited for a PS3.

Thinking back on my years with 360, I dont think Oblivion, Gears, and Halo 3 was worth it. I think I wasted my time hunting for does stupid achievements. I just regret it. I dont regret it because of the money I spent. I regret it because I bought this machine out of ignorance. I never had 3ROD or any problems(so far). I just regret it.

Tr4nce

It's really weird to see how Conflict: Denied Ops apparently turned into a POS. When I saw the trailer, I was really excited. Then I downloaded the demo and shazam, the game turned into shit, instantly.

epmode

Shoho said:
The thing is though(I got a 360) that I dont think Microsoft has done the right thing.
Let's be clear - 360 is great because of the software. much like how its PC industry works, all the software developers are making it happen but the actual Windows/Xbox/Xbox Live is a turd for the masses.
Gaming used to be a niche, now its everymans thing, and now everyone settles for the crappa like they did with windows.

I got a 360, and I acknowledge the systems potential through its game, and slick design and relatively good controller(except for the D-pad).

But what I dont acknowledge is their way keeping their online service(pay to play, for P2P) when you got better stuff out there for free like Steam.

There are just these things that scream foul and cheating. like they are playing dirty and taking advantage of everything. Sure, they are not as evil as some people make them out to be, but I would much rather support a company like Nintendo.
But since I like visual stunning games, its MS or Sony. Boy don't get me started on Sony and all their stupid mistakes...

But regardless. I hope PS3 wins. I hope that 360 will be gone and we will just have two platforms. I hope MS will go back to focus and heal the PC games industry which they have totally fcuked up and neglected. What have they done.

Thinking back on my years with 360, I dont think Oblivion, Gears, and Halo 3 was worth it. I think I wasted my time hunting for does stupid achievements. I just regret it. I dont regret it because of the money I spent. I regret it because I bought this machine out of ignorance. I never had 3ROD or any problems(so far). I just regret it.
This is such a crazy post.

gofreak said:
LittleBigPlanet??

Any new info?!

Not sure if any of it's new, but the main points that stuck out to me;

EDGE said:
The more conventional side of the game is the 'LittleBigStory', with a basic narrative connecting over 50 levels to be played through with one to four players. Those players can be any mix of local and PSN Sackboys, and each level only begins when each member is at the starting gate - it seems clear that LittleBigPlanet's basic levels put the empasis on players racing each other to 'fluff' (the basic pick-up for content creation in LBP)

EDGE said:
The levels also now incorporate hazards that can 'kill' your sackboy, but death in the game is countered with frequent respawn doors - it's rare for all four players to fail at a single obstacle, so dying is more of a temporary incovenience than an endpoint

EDGE said:
These story levels also help fully unlock LBP's content creation. "All the time your playing through this mode your earning stuff to help you create." says LBP produced Pete Smith. "So at the start you might have all the tools but only have sponge and wood and brick in terms of properties you can imbue objects with."

EDGE said:
"We're not going to limit people." says Smith. "We're providing basic properties to combine, and the possibilities are pretty limitless. Thats not to say there won't be quite a few basic tools to play with, and more as they are needed by the community, but it's amazing what people can create with just a cog and piston."

EDGE said:
That emphasis on the community will also dictate the direction of LBP's DLC. "We'll be feeding the community on our own content just as they supply it themselves - but we'll be able to create specific stuff," explains Smith. "The pistons and pulleys for example, are the kind of thing only we can provide, and based on feedback from the community we can look at what they want and hopefully provide it."

EDGE said:
In regards to the expressive facial animations of the Sackboy's - "We are planning to lip-synch the voice chat in the game - we may even put in some voice filters and stuff like that. Thats somthing which may not make it in at launch, but thats the kind of stuff that will be fed in over time."

ibu

Shoho said:
There is some stuff. Too Human 1,2,3, Mass Effect 2,3, Fable 2, Banjo 3, Splinter Cell, next bungie game and so on...

Funny that it reads just like a shorthand version of edge article!

Feindflug

Great score for DMC4, it's an awesome game after all and it's deserves attention/great scores also Little Big Planet sounds really interesting - most anticipated game on the PS3 for me.

BTW I really hope that we'll see GoW2 and Banjo Threeie in GDC. :p

Bootaaay said:
In regards to the expressive facial animations of the Sackboy's - "We are planning to lip-synch the voice chat in the game - we may even put in some voice filters and stuff like that. Thats somthing which may not make it in at launch, but thats the kind of stuff that will be fed in over time."

That sounds REAL interesting.

Blackface

Banned
Anyone else had problems with your Edge subscription? I bought a subscription two months ago and have yet to get anything.

Surprised with the Dynasty Warriors 6 score. Looks like I may be justified in my purchase (once it's out). Had been thinking it'll be too hackneyed and it'll disappoint me.
No Lost Odyssey review or did I miss it?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Why the low score for Turok. What does the EDGE article have to say about it...

Top Bottom