• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE Review Scores November (Yes!) 2023

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
CI24G1n.jpg

Baldurs Gate 3 - 10
Armored Core VI - 7
Blasphemous 2 - 8
Fort Solis - 4
Immortals of Aveum - 5
En Garde! - 7
Gord - 5
Bomb Rush Cyberfunk - 7
Goodbye Volcano High - 8
The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood - 8
Astronaught: The Best - 6

Wildebeest

I usually don't post here but I was just curious to know why a magazine has its own threads, why its so special? Mind I'm not rom an english speaking country and I've never read a single issue of Edge so I don't know
Edge is traditionally a magazine that dev studios in the UK (and maybe other places) buy to put on their coffee tables because it looks good and has pieces about the industry.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I usually don't post here but I was just curious to know why a magazine has its own threads, why its so special? Mind I'm not rom an english speaking country and I've never read a single issue of Edge so I don't know
Personally, only reason I post an EDGE thread is because it's the only multi-format games mag left in the UK.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Edge used to be a posh magazine with a more serious, less enthusiastic attitude than the rest, back when video game mags were all about raving reviews from people in their late teens or very slightly older. An emphasis on somewhat hoity toity language, glossy covers, quality print paper, game theory pieces and extensive interviews and previews, while keeping reviews short, to-the-point and graphically unassuming, was their shtick. They also flaunted their use of the full score scale, using 5 as an “average” score and 10 as the score for a revolutionary game.

Thing is, Edge got the ires of the gaming community relatively early for awarding Doom (yes, that Doom) a 7 out of 10. Subsequent slip-ups like being extremely hyped for Rise of the Robots (a game that was as sensational in still images as it was a disaster to play), or scoring GTA3 a 6/10 (before reconsidering and changing it to an 8 telling there had been a printing error), further cemented their reputation as posers. I still remember the reaction to Edge giving their GOTY to Game Pass.

And while the mag managed to mostly maintain its promises for a long time, with the almost-complete death of print mags and the advent of a new generation of reviewers, they’re now just your average review outlet that’s great when it scores a game according to popular opinion, and ridiculed when it deviates from the majority.

Ozzie666

Another reviewer who didn't make it to Act 3 of Baldurs? The game is great in so many ways, I'm just not sure how reviewers can dismiss the issues with Act 3 or the drop in overall quality.
It's still the game of the year. To be fair, I guess Zelda OOT didn't have it's framerate held against it and all 10/10 games have flaws.

I kind of understand the Armored Core score, it may be a bit low. But considering alot of people couldn't even get past the first boss, such a pretty game with depth and soul.

SJRB

Gold Member
Blasphemous 2 scoring great is awesome. That AC6 score is going to trigger people, that Volcano High score is going to trigger even more people.

Has there been any word of Immortals of Aveum's sales numbers? I feel this game is bombing hard.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Why do people still act like EDGE is in any way more meaningful than any other rag?

The only explanation has to be the power of branding. Which is pretty crazy if you think about it.

SkylineRKR

Edge used to be very serious and to the point. Good in depth interviews with people from the industry and tech talks. Their reviews were short and very critical, they didn't hand out much 10's at first, between 1993 and 2001 they only had 4 perfect ratings. I stopped taking them seriously around the 360 generation.

They seem to have some sort of bias to Zelda and Media Molecule. Nearly every big Zelda since OoT, even Skyward Sword, got awarded a 10. And both Dreams and LBP, which are imo heavily flawed games on some very important aspects. And what was up with that perfect score for Immortality?

I usually don't post here but I was just curious to know why a magazine has its own threads, why its so special? Mind I'm not from an english speaking country and I've never read a single issue of Edge so I don't know
It used to be a highly influential and respected magazine. It’s like the NYT in that it still has cache but is really just another shitty part of the media hive mind.

Edge used to be a posh magazine with a more serious, less enthusiastic attitude than the rest, back when video game mags were all about raving reviews from people in their late teens or very slightly older. An emphasis on somewhat hoity toity language, glossy covers, quality print paper, game theory pieces and extensive interviews and previews, while keeping reviews short, to-the-point and graphically unassuming, was their shtick. They also flaunted their use of the full score scale, using 5 as an “average” score and 10 as the score for a revolutionary game.

Thing is, Edge got the ires of the gaming community relatively early for awarding Doom (yes, that Doom) a 7 out of 10. Subsequent slip-ups like being extremely hyped for Rise of the Robots (a game that was as sensational in still images as it was a disaster to play), or scoring GTA3 a 6/10 (before reconsidering and changing it to an 8 telling there had been a printing error), further cemented their reputation as posers. I still remember the reaction to Edge giving their GOTY to Game Pass.

And while the mag managed to mostly maintain its promises for a long time, with the almost-complete death of print mags and the advent of a new generation of reviewers, they’re now just your average review outlet that’s great when it scores a game according to popular opinion, and ridiculed when it deviates from the majority.
The GTA3 printing error thing was so transparent lol.

killatopak

isn'it unbalanced as all hell though? or at least that's what i heard, way too many things to play in this period
Balance doesn't really mean shit in Fromsoft games unless it impacts pvp.

Like here I am with my Elden Ring melee build requiring a dozen tries to end a boss then I see some naked magic user one shot it without moving a single step.

Last edited:
EDGE used to be the best gaming mag around for deep dives on console hardware and more for for interviews and features with the world's best developers; Some of the access EDGE had to Japanese developers in particular was unprecedented at the time.
Their reviews have always been done with one game getting an eyebrow rising score, just to get people talking and I know for a fact the Editor marked down the score of Skies of Arcadia.

EDGE's best days are long behind it and you can bet, they'll score Starfield a 6 or 7

clarky

Gold Member
EDGE used to be the best gaming mag around for deep dives on console hardware and more for for interviews and features with the world's best developers; Some of the access EDGE had to Japanese developers in particular was unprecedented at the time.
Their reviews have always been done with one game getting an eyebrow rising score, just to get people talking and I know for a fact the Editor marked down the score of Skies of Arcadia.

EDGE's best days are long behind it and you can bet, they'll score Starfield a 6 or 7
Absolutely spot on.

I used to read it religiously. I still have 1-100 in my loft. These days they are completely irrelevant to me.

Last edited:

Neff

Accurate summary. I used to love Edge, but inconsistent review scores (bordering on batshit insane at times) was always a character flaw of the mag. Highly opinionated, avant-garde critique was a novel and insightful approach at times, but depending on which reviewer was seemingly randomly assigned to cover a particular title, not always a fair one.

Top Bottom