• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE Review Scores November (Yes!) 2023

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Armored Core VI - 7
FaHHsgn.png

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Accurate summary. I used to love Edge, but inconsistent review scores (bordering on batshit insane at times) was always a character flaw of the mag. Highly opinionated, avant-garde critique was a novel and insightful approach at times, but depending on which reviewer was seemingly randomly assigned to cover a particular title, not always a fair one.
Oh I know too well. Reviewers hiding behind anonymity but if you look at any other of Futures rags (namely PLAY as not sure if PC Gamer is as bad) you'll identify the reviewers easily as I doubt EDGE will employ seperate ones just for their reviews.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
A 7 for AC6. Cringe.

Game is arguably the best FROM game combat wise, even more so than Sekiro tbh
I still can't believe how it's incredible to move in AC6. You feel HEAVY as fuck. But yet when using all of your mobility options you are zipping and flying around like a steel angel of death. Every fight is a death ballet full of elegance but requires skills. The blurb from the magazine docks the difficulty. They did not Git Gud!

It's no surprise that it has taken so long for FromSoftware to deliver this particular game at this particular moment. Armored Core VI is a project that must balance the needs of the series' long-standing core audience with the hopeful expectations of the studio's new and vast fanbase. Certainly, it provides exhilarating depths for those willing and sufficiently talented to reach them, but the game's narrow and unforgiving constraints will repel far more than it entices.

GIT GUD

Last edited:

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
AC6 score seems right as it light on content. Just a bunch of random maps and story.

Does not mean it's a bad game as the combat is incredible.

Last edited:
Absolutely spot on.

I used to read it religiously. I still have 1-100 in my loft. these days they are completely irrelevant to me.
I still got mine too. For the interviews and features EDGE was unmatched and I still go back to them and read them now.

EDGE spent like 3 days with SEGA Japan to see and do a massive feature on the Saturn's launch, You never saw a Western magazine have that sort of access to a Japanese developer back then

EDGE's deep drives and technical breakdowns of the Saturn, PS, PS2, Cube, and XBox were also unmatched. I love the old EDGE mag even with their Nintendo bias, Their biggest disgrace for me was not giving PSO a 10 score, even if the review read like a 10.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
What year is it?! I mean month.

November? lol

doctor who tardis GIF

How is it November?
Just as an FYI, the months listed on magazines are not the month of publication - they are the “sell through” date, i.e., “don’t display the magazine after this month”. It’s not really there for the customers, it’s there to let the people who stock the displays quickly identify which unsold magazines need to be taken down and which get to stay up for another month. You know, back when places sold magazines.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I still got mine too. For the interviews and features EDGE was unmatched and I still go back to them and read them now.

EDGE spent like 3 days with SEGA Japan to see and do a massive feature on the Saturn's launch, You never saw a Western magazine have that sort of access to a Japanese developer back then

EDGE's deep drives and technical breakdowns of the Saturn, PS, PS2, Cube, and XBox were also unmatched. I love the old EDGE mag even with their Nintendo bias, Their biggest disgrace for me was not giving PSO a 10 score, even if the review read like a 10.
Good times man.

PSO what a game. I still remember my Force Afro dude like it was yesterday.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
You can't expect era to actually play a game when they are too busy fiddling with them/zem/fur selves
I love how their big mod Nepenthe is sometimes a trans man, but when something about women's rights comes up, she is like "They are intruding on my rights as a woman". Cunt you just said you were a man lol.

And she's one of the top mods! Imagine the hell house of REEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Give them all armored and weaponized vehicles and make a new Twisted Metal game out of them lol

Sanepar

Why do people still act like EDGE is in any way more meaningful than any other rag?

The only explanation has to be the power of branding. Which is pretty crazy if you think about it.
Because they use the whole scale and not only 7-10. So a 9 there means a real 9.

StueyDuck

I love how their big mod Nepenthe is sometimes a trans man, but when something about women's rights comes up, she is like "They are intruding on my rights as a woman". Cunt you just said you were a man lol.

And she's one of the top mods! Imagine the hell house of REEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Give them all armored and weaponized vehicles and make a new Twisted Metal game out of them lol
I mean resetera and mental stability aren't two things that are often said together.

But i question all the reviews for the game, after the rotten tomatoes fiasco you can only see whose on the payroll. A weird creepy horny game about dinosaur teenagers (made to be 'barely legal' which we all know what that really means, what a shock) and then all these high scores 🤣 kind of telling

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I mean resetera and mental stability aren't two things that are often said together.

But i question all the reviews for the game, after the rotten tomatoes fiasco you can only see whose on the payroll. A weird creepy horny game about dinosaur teenagers (made to be barely legal, what a shock) and then all these high scores 🤣 kind of telling
Well the RT thing is different. They didn't pay for good reviews. They paid people with bad reviews to not put them on RT. Which is just as scummy. But non arguably IGN and Gamespot are the two behemoths of online gaming reviews and they gave an honest 7, which is fair. I meant if they had to pay someone to add points, it'd be these two.

And if they did bump up the score to hit a 7....they must have been paid 1000s of recycled outposts with the same enemies at the same spawn points.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
It seems that Goodbye, Volcano High is the true litmus test in whether an organization is trusthworthy or a massive joke... and far too many are failing.

Can I go back to the 90s and early 2000s where it was just folks who actually enjoyed games?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
It seems that Goodbye, Volcano High is the true litmus test in whether an organization is trusthworthy or a massive joke... and far too many are failing.

Can I go back to the 90s and early 2000s where it was just folks who actually enjoyed games?
Shut up fucker!

It's a beautiful deep game (well not really), full of lost teen fantasies of cute furry underage dinosaurs. It's perfect to relive your non-furry days as a teen with severe issues such as being a total fucking idiot and a future ResetEra member.

Only John Marston John Marston will get this, but just thinking about it made me dry as fuckkkk.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Because they use the whole scale and not only 7-10. So a 9 there means a real 9.

The scale is entirely arbitrary. It doesn't mean a damn thing when the reviewers are just the same staff and freelancers that the Future group uses across its publications.

You're assigning expertise, accuracy, insightfulness solely on the basis of presentation.

This is EDGE in a nutshell!

I still can't believe how it's incredible to move in AC6. You feel HEAVY as fuck. But yet when using all of your mobility options you are zipping and flying around like a steel angel of death. Every fight is a death ballet full of elegance but requires skills. The blurb from the magazine docks the difficulty. They did not Git Gud!

It's no surprise that it has taken so long for FromSoftware to deliver this particular game at this particular moment. Armored Core VI is a project that must balance the needs of the series' long-standing core audience with the hopeful expectations of the studio's new and vast fanbase. Certainly, it provides exhilarating depths for those willing and sufficiently talented to reach them, but the game's narrow and unforgiving constraints will repel far more than it entices.

GIT GUD
lol.
Pathetic!

Top Bottom