• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE Review Scores November (Yes!) 2023

zeldaring

Banned
Armored Core VI - 7
Goodbye Volcano High - 8

Sick Vomit GIF by Hello All
Dude they gave of ghosts of tsushima a 6 lol.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Edge used to be a posh magazine with a more serious, less enthusiastic attitude than the rest, back when video game mags were all about raving reviews from people in their late teens or very slightly older. An emphasis on somewhat hoity toity language, glossy covers, quality print paper, game theory pieces and extensive interviews and previews, while keeping reviews short, to-the-point and graphically unassuming, was their shtick. They also flaunted their use of the full score scale, using 5 as an “average” score and 10 as the score for a revolutionary game.

Thing is, Edge got the ires of the gaming community relatively early for awarding Doom (yes, that Doom) a 7 out of 10. Subsequent slip-ups like being extremely hyped for Rise of the Robots (a game that was as sensational in still images as it was a disaster to play), or scoring GTA3 a 6/10 (before reconsidering and changing it to an 8 telling there had been a printing error), further cemented their reputation as posers. I still remember the reaction to Edge giving their GOTY to Game Pass.

And while the mag managed to mostly maintain its promises for a long time, with the almost-complete death of print mags and the advent of a new generation of reviewers, they’re now just your average review outlet that’s great when it scores a game according to popular opinion, and ridiculed when it deviates from the majority.
Worth noting that as a non-native speaker (but skilled in English) I've always found their reviews daunting to read from a language standpoint. Even Disco Elysium is wrtitten in a more direct fashion. And EDGE is a thing only in English-speaking countries, in all honesty. It's very hard to explain why does it carry any weight to any of my foreign friends that are not from US/UK/AU.

But hey, I'm happy for my boy BG3 nonetheless.

Neff

Oh lord

Yeah Edge's propensity for charging head-first into a game with predetermined expectations of what it should be, and then marking it down when it wasn't, was a common thing. Of all the magazines out there more than any other it needed a 'action game reviewer for action game'/'strategy game reviewer for strategy game' etc approach, because they'd frequently get them mixed up with famously disastrous results. And while I'm here...

FbaMaA.jpg

Seider

Who did that Doom review in Edge? A Graphic Adventure or Simulation Games lover?

Omg. And a 6 for Gunstar Heroes on Megadrive xD

GymWolf

I usually don't post here but I was just curious to know why a magazine has its own threads, why its so special? Mind I'm not from an english speaking country and I've never read a single issue of Edge so I don't know
Without a dedicated topic people would miss an occasion to shat on these hacks, and we don't want that.

Good times man.

PSO what a game. I still remember my Force Afro dude like it was yesterday.
I bet that review was another case of the editor marking down the score because the review read like a 10 and PSO was a 10 out of 10 game on a console, it was revolutionary
Fab times, EDGE mag was at its best in those days, some of their SEGA features and interviews with the best ever.

I also loved this issue when EDGE got to meet to interview the new subsidiary's

Gra9nz8.jpg

or when we 1st got to see Smilebit

I4xzdrv.jpg

Oh lord

Yeah Edge's propensity for charging head-first into a game with predetermined expectations of what it should be, and then marking it down when it wasn't, was a common thing. Of all the magazines out there more than any other it needed a 'action game reviewer for action game'/'strategy game reviewer for strategy game' etc approach, because they'd frequently get them mixed up with famously disastrous results. And while I'm here...

You talk of getting mixed up, EDGE even scored the Jaguar version of Doom better and gave it an 8 LOL

6zODAOW.jpg

And worst still was giving FX Trax a 9 out of 10 LOL. Nintendo fanboys, don't you just hate them LOL

yMentDR.jpg

SirTerry-T

So THAT'S how I ended up with CLUB and not EDGE that one month...
As a lad I lived just down the road from the printing factory where Edge and the aforementioned wank mags were printed.

For some reason, when works experience weeks came up at school, Cradley Print was one of the most popular choices amongst the boys....

PaintTinJr

Edge used to be a posh magazine with a more serious, less enthusiastic attitude than the rest, back when video game mags were all about raving reviews from people in their late teens or very slightly older. An emphasis on somewhat hoity toity language, glossy covers, quality print paper, game theory pieces and extensive interviews and previews, while keeping reviews short, to-the-point and graphically unassuming, was their shtick. They also flaunted their use of the full score scale, using 5 as an “average” score and 10 as the score for a revolutionary game.

Thing is, Edge got the ires of the gaming community relatively early for awarding Doom (yes, that Doom) a 7 out of 10. Subsequent slip-ups like being extremely hyped for Rise of the Robots (a game that was as sensational in still images as it was a disaster to play), or scoring GTA3 a 6/10 (before reconsidering and changing it to an 8 telling there had been a printing error), further cemented their reputation as posers. I still remember the reaction to Edge giving their GOTY to Game Pass.

And while the mag managed to mostly maintain its promises for a long time, with the almost-complete death of print mags and the advent of a new generation of reviewers, they’re now just your average review outlet that’s great when it scores a game according to popular opinion, and ridiculed when it deviates from the majority.
Completely. Add in their pathetic treatment of Mario Kart Double Dash at a time when such a score from them did real damage to the industry by hampering Nintendo's ability to compete in the high-end space - without MK being the console seller as MKs did. The cube was Nintendo's strongest first party line up ever and Edge treated the whole console as an unimportant toy purchase IMO, setting the tone for many outlets, and really over sold the original Xbox in its place - that's line up is largely forgettable 2-ish decades later - losing credibility with skilled gamers and have been living off the exclusivity of dev supplied concept artwork to use in their high finish glossy magazine ever since.

IMHO Double dash is arguably the most important version of MK to ever have been made - as a refinement/enhancement of MK64 - as shown by the article below, and DD's ability to hold up today is quite something else - while no one at Edge could appreciate it as more than a 5/10, along with the other game scores you mentioned , which ironically Doom got much better treatment.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
This comes up and gets explained in GAF threads every year. There are 13 issues a year (one every four weeks), Jan to Dec and then a Christmas issue. Many print magazines do this.
Still doesn't explain why im(not) reading November's issue in early September.

If your magazine isnt monthly then dont have months on the cover.

I wonder how many people still actually buy this?

Shame really along with Zzap64 & Super play it was probably my favourite mag. The day it appeared at the local newsagents was one of the best days of the month (sorry 4 weeks!).

Last edited:

calistan

scoring GTA3 a 6/10 (before reconsidering and changing it to an 8 telling there had been a printing error), further cemented their reputation as posers.
The GTA3 thing was hilarious. I worked there at the time, and when the Take 2 rep brought an early copy of the game round, everyone crammed into the games room for a look - it was so obvious it was something special.

Edge, being the serious 'industry' mag about the future of interactive entertainment, clearly assumed they would be top of the list when it came to review copies.

They thought wrong.

They were embarrasingly outplayed by Gamesmaster magazine which, despite being aimed at 12-year-olds, sold a lot more than Edge and had an editor who was excellent at the PR side of things. Thanks to cover deals for a bunch of minor Take 2 games, GM sewed up the exclusive first review of GTA3 and Edge threw its toys out of the pram. Edge's revenge was to give the game a late review and a derisory score.

To save face, Edge later claimed their 6 was a misprinted 8, but that's a load of bollocks. It was a 6 awarded out of petulance.

Hunter 99

Edge has been getting more and more shit over the past year or so. I read the magazine from time to time from 2006 and have been subscribed since 2013 and last month cancelled my subscription.

It's price is getting extortionate and the only thing I like now is the front covers from time to time. The content isn't that great bar a few exclusive looks at future releases and some of the reviews...well let's just say questionable...
It's gone downhill a lot and to be fair I still prefer Games TM. That was an awesome magazine in its day..shame it disappeared.

JimboJones

Completely. Add in their pathetic treatment of Mario Kart Double Dash at a time when such a score from them did real damage to the industry by hampering Nintendo's ability to compete in the high-end space - without MK being the console seller as MKs did. The cube was Nintendo's strongest first party line up ever and Edge treated the whole console as an unimportant toy purchase IMO, setting the tone for many outlets, and really over sold the original Xbox in its place - that's line up is largely forgettable 2-ish decades later - losing credibility with skilled gamers and have been living off the exclusivity of dev supplied concept artwork to use in their high finish glossy magazine ever since.

IMHO Double dash is arguably the most important version of MK to ever have been made - as a refinement/enhancement of MK64 - as shown by the article below, and DD's ability to hold up today is quite something else - while no one at Edge could appreciate it as more than a 5/10, along with the other game scores you mentioned , which ironically Doom got much better treatment.

Naw man, Double Dash sucked they where right on the money there.

PaintTinJr

Naw man, Double Dash sucked they where right on the money there.
Anecdotally, yeah people like yourself will still have that opinion, and that's cool, but there's enough years that have past showing the MK community view of the game directly and indirectly by all the things it added from items to mechanics, and its tracks that have been the corner stone of all the inferior (IMHO) versions that have followed since, MK DS excluded.

So you would expect from expert level gamers at Edge doing group review opinions that Edge should be representative of gamers, and by extension gamers in the MK community, and therefore expected to have the gaming ability to appreciate the amazingly long skill curve the game was going to provide, and the competitive fun that would be derived from it - and its perfectly balanced tracks and amazing soundtrack.

The MK community appreciate what an amazing game it is and have played it for two decades - as shown by the article I linked -, so Edge's opinion was fine for a random gamer, but completely ill conceived for a group of expert gamers review a tent pole platform IP IMO, when anyone that's just reached the base camp level of being able to Mini turbo dodge a red shell - never mind dodging a spiney blue shell - with any consistency in DD will revel in that skill execution time and time again, and which is 20x skill levels below the skill needed to MT jump the gap on Yoshi Circuit in one time trial lap with the the toad kart, and that's still far from the skill and revelment of doing that jump with any consistency in MP using a kart like the train.

The game has the depth of a great PES or Virtua Fighter game while still being accessible for noobs in 50cc mode doing the game's hallmark baby park track, and yet still offers the difficulty of an FPS where good players stepping away, even for just a year, can see their level drop off considerably to then need weeks of gaming to get back most of their ability.

Ive played all From games and Ac6 score is spot on. It's an above average game for the genre but does nothing to move gaming forward. AC6 missions are boring, design straight out of ps2 era. (Eg that hacking one, with three roads and enemies just rolling up like on a conveyor.)

Pvp is bare bones. Lots of gear pointless. (hopefully new patch brings up some of the poor kinetic ones). I didn't like the stagger system. In Sekiro that was a reward for your parrying, in this time it just makes you choose high impact weapons, or else have a grindy fight.

Boss fights were mostly great.. Sound design, cinematic scope were all top tier imo (as expected from From).

I got one ending but doubt if I'll go back for ng+. It's too boring for my taste.

tassletine

I still can't believe how it's incredible to move in AC6. You feel HEAVY as fuck. But yet when using all of your mobility options you are zipping and flying around like a steel angel of death. Every fight is a death ballet full of elegance but requires skills. The blurb from the magazine docks the difficulty. They did not Git Gud!

It's no surprise that it has taken so long for FromSoftware to deliver this particular game at this particular moment. Armored Core VI is a project that must balance the needs of the series' long-standing core audience with the hopeful expectations of the studio's new and vast fanbase. Certainly, it provides exhilarating depths for those willing and sufficiently talented to reach them, but the game's narrow and unforgiving constraints will repel far more than it entices.

GIT GUD
Nah! From's games have a problem and it's becoming more apparent with each new game. The bosses are where they focus their attention -- but the actual levels are just average video game fare, and unfortunately quite barren.
Armored core is especially egregious because the levels are extremely easy, but the bosses extremely tough.

Eesha

Neo Member
By 8/10 for Goodbye Volcano, i hope that was meant for Snoot Game, that one actually deserve it.

Top Bottom