• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best single-player mode in a fighting game?

BK10D.jpg

Def Jam: Fight for NY, for me.

Not only was the gameplay itself amazing but the customization, story rife with twists and betrayals, and the badass, extensive cast of characters were all great.

And the motherfucking Danny Trejo fight... "Goodbye, bitch!"

@MUWANdo

Banned
The general single-player package in the latest Mortal Kombat game is excellent, and I'm betting that TTT2 will give it a run for its money, too.

Spazznid

First post nails it.
Mortal Kombat.
Despite the rediculous boss(es) it's really the greates surprise of any fighter I've ever played.
I wish Project Soul would take some notes. Soul Calibur + MK Story Mode...
mmmm

How far can I stretch the use of fighting game? because the season mode in Smackdown Here Comes The Pain is all kinds of awesome.

Verelios

I don't know how anyone can sit here and ignore Blazblue. That's effort, sheer effort by Arc.

I would say Tekken also, but that was before all the scenario's turned to shit and we started seeing things like action adventure in my Tekken. Seriously, what the hell was with T6!?

Edit: Bloodrage got me.

Even the older Mortal Kombat games had fairly interesting single player modes for a fighting game. I think it was Deception for the PS2 that had Konquest mode.

Smash Bros. Brawl has an amazing single player mode. A Nintendo fan's dream come true.

BlazBlue or MK. They handle it different ways, but I can appreciate them both.

I also like visual novels though and I know some people out there aren't such big fans of the genre.

Rival Schools also gets a vote from me.

I always liked how the Street Fighter Alpha games had different story sequences for each character. SF4 has rivals, but it's not as cool.

I also really like survival mode in Tatsunoko VS Capcom, Challenge in SFIV, and World Tour (I think it was called) in the console version of SFA3.

Oh, and the Soul Calibur mode with all the challenges was always awesome.

Dissidia Duodecim. Even if the story blows :d.

Yeah, this. Between the story mode involving the new characters, the entirety of the first game's story mode, the postgame story mode and Labyrinth Mode, there's a mindblowing amount of content.

Fight for NY is a good choice, too. Even if I could never get past Bone Crusher

Platy

Smash Bros Brawl insane number of modes gets my vote.

250px-Urb-cover.jpg

This also deserves a mention

The Subspace Emissary? That was total shit.

Homerun, Polygon team, subspace mode, classic mode, survival mode, demos, fully customizable bots, level editor, training mode, break the targets.....

Shahed

sb-ps1box.jpg

Edge Master Mode. To this day it's still my favourite fighter purely because of that. SC1 was still pretty good to a lesser extent, same with SC2. After that the story mode just went completely downhill.

The recent Mortal Kombat was pretty good as well. As was Blazblue CSE.

Struct09

Mortal Kombat 9. I would even agree that the story is pretty terrible, but the way the single player mode is put together (along with the challenges) is the best out there.

Smash Bros Brawl insane number of modes gets my vote.

This also deserves a mention

Homerun, Polygon team, subspace mode, classic mode, survival mode, demos, fully customizable bots.....

I'm not denying that the game has a ton of content, but the Subspace Emissary was terrible.

clear31

I want a new Def Jam game on current gen made by Aki, not that terrible bullshit Def Jam Icon game we got a few years back.

ScOULaris

Mortal Kombat (2011) set a new standard for single-player content in fighting games with its robust story mode that runs through a revisionist retelling of almost the entire MK canon. It was a very unexpected surprise for most people when they got their hands on the game.

Top Bottom