• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gal Gadot's shameful paycheck for wonder woman

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

it's $300,000, since the OP didn't want to post it

it's not much for movies but i'm not crying for someone making 6 figures

McDougles

That's as crazy a paycheck discrepancy as Harrison Ford and John Boyega in Star Wars 7!

Or Carrie Fisher and John Boyega!

cr0w

Old Member
She was an unknown (basically) about to give up acting when she signed the contract in 2014. She had zero leverage.

That won't happen again when she signs another contract.

Lets also not forget that no one saw the performance that WW is enjoying coming.

That's not a lot for movies but if you found how how much the new guys in Star Wars made you'd cry foul too

WB fucked up though because they're gonna have to bring out the checkbook hard now

Vixdean

More to do with her being a relative unknown than being female. Chris Evans was only paid $300k for First Avenger.

https://moviepilot.com/posts/3296702

First Leading Role Salary: Even so, though, that likely seems like an insane amount of money to Evans - after all, even for his first Marvel role back in Captain America: The First Avenger, he was only paid $300,000.

First Leading Role Salary: While Chris Evans had at least a series of (largely unsuccessful) leading roles under his belt by the time he became Cap, Hemsworth's first major leading role was, for all intents and purposes, Thor - which was reflected in his reported $200,000 paycheck.

Is Ben Affleck's base salary really $26m? Damn.

I believe this may also have to do with how big Superman and Batman are compared to Wonder Woman. It's still no excuse, and the situation needs to improve for women in Hollywood.

Dynomutt

Dang. I think she deserved more but I don't think they write big checks (in general) for debuts/1st film contracts. Unfortunate because the movie did so well. Did she do a multi-picture contract? Seem's to have royalties which is good. I remember being surprised when I found out RDJ only got $500,000 for Iron Man and he was pretty established just had a spotty history.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
For comparison, Henry Cavill, who plays Superman, earned $18.4 million for his debut in Superman: Man of Steel; while Ben Affleck, who plays Batman, will earn $26.3 million for his solo movie, The Batman.

Henry Cavill got 3.4 million more in Man of Steel than Harrison Ford got for returning for The Force Awakens? I have a really hard time believing that.

Also, how do they know how much Ben will make for The Batman?

I assumed it was a well known fact that most of the stars of these comic book films are making a pittance aside from your RDJ's.

The exposure (in theory) is much more important than the money earned.

LionPride

Banned
She was bout to quit acting till like 3 years ago, signed a deal, acting was not the greatest, but she led the most critically successful DCEU film and soon likely financially as well. Ben Affleck, a well established actor and director, would make a lot more but fuck THAT much more? Whew.

She'll get paid much much more in the future tho

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Ben Affleck is a bigger star.

How much did Cavill make for Man of Steel? That's a little more comparable as both Gadot and Cavill were relative unknowns. I'm sure their salaries aren't anywhere comparable either, sadly.

isnt affleck a huge A list actor and director and Gadot a newcomer?
I want a comparison with Chris pratt and say the leads of the force awakens.

That is not to say that females aren't getting screwed over with salaries, but it'd be a better comparison to compare not A list newcomer actors that starred in multi million blockbusters.

Bladenic

Not seeing any issues here. She was practically a nobody except "that hot chick you can't understand from Fast and the Furious series." Chris Evans got paid the same amount (or was it 500k?) for the first Cap and his career was already past the decade mark.

Dysun

She was relatively unknown before BvS, and that's counting her Fast & Furious movies. I'm sure going forward she will make up for that

Henry Cavill got 3.4 million more in Man of Steel than Harrison Ford got for returning for The Force Awakens? I have a really hard time believing that.

Also, how do they know how much Ben will make for The Batman?

They likely don't

So I'm iffy on whether they would have the numbers for WW & Justice League

McDougles

I assumed it was a well known fact that most of the stars of these comic book films are making a pittance aside from your RDJ's.

The exposure (in theory) is much more important than the money earned.

And, unlike literally any other industry, exposure as leads in blockbuster films does often translate into further prosperity.

Virtual unknowns aren't going to make the same payday as established stars with huge filmographies. Next movie we'll see what's down. Also I'm not saying there isn't a pay discrepancy issue in Hollywood, there certainly is, it's just not the biggest factor in this specific instance.

jph139

"Lock unknown actors into multi-film contracts for peanuts" has been Marvel's MO for a while now, so I'm not surprised to see DC on the same road.

Affleck getting $26.3 million for The Batman sounds about right to me - dude's got star power - but I'll admit I'm shocked to see Cavill got $18.4 million for Man of Steel. Like, damn, dude must have a GREAT agent.

royalan

it's $300,000, since the OP didn't want to post it

it's not much for movies but i'm not crying for someone making 6 figures

I'm not crying for anyone in Hollywood. Even d-tier celebs bring in a bigger paycheck than me.

But still...what Gal Gadot is bringing home for starring in the movie that basically saved the DCEU is criminal.

And just think about what this means for the women working regular 9-5s...

Brakke

Banned
isnt affleck a huge A list actor and director and Gadot a newcomer?

Affleck has Oscars, plural. Gadot was bad in one F&F movie and good in another.

I dunno why anyone would expect parity here. Damn sure Gadot's next paycheck will be bigger after this success. She needed roles to build her brand / capital. Affleck's at the stage of the career where he earns dividends on that capital.

cr0w

Old Member
What had cavill done to get that paycheck?

He'd been acting since 2002, enjoying success in projects such as The Tudors.

I'm not saying Gadot wasn't underpaid. I'm saying Hollywood isn't going to pay an unknown commodity signing on to play a superhero whose last live action appearance came in the 70s.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
the fact that OP intentionally did not post the amount she got is both confusing and extremely irritating.

that being said, jesus fuck hollywood

jett

D-Member
I mean, Gal Gadot was a nobody previous to her landing this DC deal. As far as I understand people like Chris Hemsworth got similar deals at Mahvel.

Kolx

Two completely different people when it comes to popularity when they signed the contract. How well their movies did has nothing to do with the salary they were offered at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom