• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nielsen Report: PC gamers play Halo 1/2 more than CS....w00t

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
TheRipDizz said:
Why is it a joke? Nielson is a pretty respected numbers gatherer. Probably the most.
Well, then wouldn't that say something about the quality of Halo 1/2, something that PC gamers deny and that laugh at every time it is pointed out.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
that aggregated total has to include all games under their "PC games" heading. It doesn't make sense for it not to based on the category grouping.

godhandiscen said:
Well, then wouldn't that say something about the quality of Halo 1/2, something that PC gamers deny and that laugh at every time it is pointed out.
Just the 133t ones. Since when have zealots of anything been able to accurately measure the realities of anything.

lexi

Banned
There's like what, 2000 players online right now playing Halo 1 / 2 on the PC?

There's about an easy 500,000 online right now playing 1.6 / Source.

So, how's this actually possible?

godhandiscen

TheRipDizz said:
Just the 133t ones. Since when have zealots of anything been able to accurately measure the realities of anything.
A PC gamer who can play Halo can obviously play CS, if they choose one game over another its for a reason, and a reason only... MS marketing.

lockii said:

I was online during the weekend and it was closer to 8k iirc, I do not have numbers for CS because I do not play it.

Markster

You know what?

Years ago, I thought I'd be happy when I saw the day when people played some other game more than CS.

I was mistaken.

Davidion

:lol What a laughably sad attempt to use overall PC usage numbers to make some half-assed statement about PC gamer preferences.

Hey you know what else this data tells us? People like Xbox better than Xbox 360 and both Halo 1 and 2 are less popular than the Sims. Weeeee, what a fun game. *roll eyes*

godhandiscen

Davidion said:
:lol What a laughably sad attempt to use overall PC usage numbers to make some half-assed statement about PC gamer preferences.

Hey you know what else this data tells us? People like Xbox better than Xbox 360 and both Halo 1 and 2 are less popular than the Sims. Weeeee, what a fun game. *roll eyes*
It says the Xbox is used more than the 360 which is understandable. It also says Halo is played more than CS, which it isn't given the fact that one game is clearly superior to the other isn't it?

lexi

Banned
godhandiscen said:
A PC gamer who can play Halo can obviously play CS, if they choose one game over another its for a reason, and a reason only... MS marketing.

I was online during the weekend and it was closer to 8k iirc, I do not have numbers for CS because I do not play it.

Yeah I know the original Halo peaks at about 8k, but I'm talking about right now, in the dead of night on a Tuesday for the US.

Actually, I'd probably want to lower my CS numbers considering that, maybe 150,000-250,000. Still a stupidly massive amount, bigger then COD4, All the UT's, all the Quake's, combined.

godhandiscen

lockii said:
Yeah I know the original Halo peaks at about 8k, but I'm talking about right now, in the dead of night on a Tuesday for the US.

Actually, I'd probably want to lower my CS numbers considering that, maybe 150,000-250,000. Still a stupidly massive amount, bigger then COD4, All the UT's, all the Quake's, combined.
Well, it would be better if Nielsen was to give info on how they gather their data. As of now, it is just good for a laugh.
spoon! said:
In no time, place or dimension could the thread title be true.
The thread title is true, I do not know if the report is though.

Slavik81

That list isn't very accurate. They show CS:S as being played for 2/3rds as many minutes as CS, when the actual numbers valve releases shows it's more like 2/7ths.

lockii said:

How many players does The Sims have online right now? I'm sure it's less than CS too. OMG! Another disparity! Run for the hills!

Davidion

godhandiscen said:
It says the Xbox is used more than the 360 which is understandable. It also says Halo is played more than CS, which it isn't given the fact that one game is clearly superior to the other isn't it?

Besides the fact that you completely missed the point where you're foolishly using these numbers which are drawn from ALL PC usage (including grandmas and 8 year old Timmy) to try to draw some half-assed conclusion about the claims of enthusiast PC gamers, you also conveniently forgot to mention that this grandiose little prediction of yours is drawn from the usage data for seven whole months. Plus you just happened to leave out the fact that even if these numbers were valid somehow, counterstrike players actually dedicate more playing time per session to CS than to both Halos, which indicates more "hardcore" users.

Christ, I don't even like CS, and your "assertions" are still THAT transparent and baseless.

godhandiscen said:
Well, it would be better if Nielsen was to give info on how they gather their data. As of now, it is just good for a laugh.

It's called auditing, and it involves asking a couple of thousand people to take diaries of their usage habits. Yet another reason why it's not even remotely sensible to use these numbers to drawn any kind of conclusions about hardcore PC gamers' opinions.

As for all the laughs about the "respectable number gatherer" comment, I know... :lol

Sean

Banned
Stabby McSter said:
How is apple on top 10 websites? As much as I love them, their site pretty much has nothing, really.

Are you serious? Apple trailers section is absolutely huge. They also host the iTunes and QuickTime downloads which are used by hundreds of millions of people. Not to mention they are the first result on Google for things like iPod, iPhone, etc.

Apple.com is definitely one of the most popular websites overall.

Son of Godzilla said:
Nielson? Respected? Did you really just post that on the internet?
Respected enough for advertisers to dump hundreds on millions of dollars on program advertising because of their numbers, buy not 133t enough for the internet. My mistake. : /

Davidion

ToxicAdam said:
Can you believe billions of dollars of tv advertising relies on these clowns?

Nielsen isn't the industry standard that it is today because it threw out BS data. Though the reliability of their non-traditional media measurements probably isn't as trustworthy as that of their TV usage measurements. That last bit is just my own conjecture, anyhow.

The problem comes when people try to use the data like NPD sales numbers and parlay it into popularity-age. :lol

medze

Davidion said:
Nielsen isn't the industry standard that it is today because it threw out BS data. Though the reliability of their non-traditional media measurements probably isn't as trustworthy as that of their TV usage measurements. That last bit is just my own conjecture, anyhow.

The problem comes when people try to use the data like NPD sales numbers. :lol

Many of television statistics are gathered from these "personal diary" type surveys as well in addition to Set Meters. How they distribute Set Meters is apparently random yet not really discussed. I've never known a single person with one of these boxes so I find it only natural to question the credibility of such statistics...

Top Bottom