• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nielsen Report: PC gamers play Halo 1/2 more than CS....w00t

M3wThr33

Banned
The ONLY way this makes sense is that it was meant for PC games, hence the title of "Top 10 PC Game Titles" but it was a list of the top titles, as opposed to write in.
Then a lot of people saw Halo and knee-jerked to that because 'I play Halo!' not realizing that Nielsen probably ...

No...

No..

There's just no f'ing way because Halo 2 is a new release. There's no way it could have play time right next to Halo PC.

GTA is a complete typo in name and in publisher. (And couldn't possibly make sense that it's played on PCs still) MADDEN? On the PC? No. Most stores don't even CARRY that game, let alone people that play it that much on the PC.

And there's no goddamn way Halo is just 40 minutes less use a week than CS.

There's a colossal fuckup here.

AU% is the number of PC users playing the game at many minute. They DO show CS has more minutes spent on it with less of a population, but the disparity isn't big enough. I have a feeling they got a fucked up sample size for this.

Cheeto

M3wThr33 said:
GTA is a complete typo in name and in publisher. (And couldn't possibly make sense that it's played on PCs still)
A lot of people actually play GTA:SA on PC. I've seen it on the Xfire top 10 list plenty of times.

Aegus

There is no possible way that ANY of the Halo games have more minutes played than CS. We're talking about a game which is about 7/8 years old, has over 200k people playing at times today (so way past the peak of popularity), with minimal map change downtime.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
WhatRuOn said:
www.gametracker.com

Halo (PC) - about 55 populated servers

Counter Strike Source - Stopped counting at over 300

I *timed out* at 6018 populated servers in the browser for counter-strike just now. Since we're at off-peak hours right now, I'll show total servers that came up in the picture below before the list stopped going (does not appear to be complete...).

csservers.jpg

ZombieSupaStar said:
according to current steam stats

Counter-Strike 160,741
Counter-Strike: Source 24,147
Counter-Strike Condition Zero 15,362
Can you get steam statistics by country? I'd like to compare Valve's numbers to Nielsen's but Nielsen's numbers aren't global.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
And counter strike: source, for the curious. 3947 populated right now. This one finished loading and didn't time out.

cssservers.jpg

Icy

Banned
Oh Yes.. Major Nielsen said a MS product is being played more than a competitors.. must be true. Yep yep Yep. And your shit don't stink too?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
cjelly said:
They're not populated servers; most of them have 0 players.

I took screenshots of the unfiltered lists because it's serious off-peak hours right now. 12:45pm eastern on a weekday. No one would be paying for those dedicated servers if they remained empty. And if you would read the text of my posts, I listed the number of currently occupied servers.

Those numbers definately have to be skewed. Has any tried to play Halo 2 online? That game was dead when it came out and it's pretty much completely dead now.

"'Cept these ain't online numbers, kids."

Logically speaking though you're never playing the bigger titles of that list offline cs, cs:s, wow, etc...

vertopci

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Those numbers definately have to be skewed. Has any tried to play Halo 2 online? That game was dead when it came out and it's pretty much completely dead now.

It was dead before it even released on PC :lol

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Logically speaking though you're never playing the majority of that list offline cs, cs:s, wow, etc...

That's not relevant to this research. They're tracking average minutes played, no matter what the player is doing, on or offline.

Slavik81

urk said:
'Cept these ain't online numbers, kids.
Yeah. I'm sure hundreds of thousands of people are still playing the Halo 1 single-player campaign for hours on end without ever touching the multiplayer.

"That's not relevant to this research. They're tracking average minutes played, no matter what the player is doing, on or offline."

It is though. No one said it was just online numbers, but CS has a bigger following than halo 2 on the pc. I know not everyone plays online but Halo 2 there is pretty much 2 servers with anyone in them if your lucky, I doubt the single player community is that huge and replays it that much to accrue such a high avg minutes played. It becomes pretty hard to argue that halo 2 on pc is a bigger game than either CS or CS:S.

"Yeah. I'm sure hundreds of thousands of people are still playing the Halo 1 single-player campaign for hours on end without ever touching the multiplayer."

This is pretty much it. I can't speak for Halo 1 but Halo 2 is pretty dead in the water and was so shortly after release.

Slavik81 said:
Yeah. I'm sure hundreds of thousands of people are still playing the Halo 1 single-player campaign for hours on end without ever touching the multiplayer.
I play Halo PC multiplayer and I've never played it online.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Metalmurphy said:
:lol

On the PC, Halo 1 SP + Halo 1 MP + Halo 2 SP + Halo 2 MP <<<<<<<<<<<<<< CS + CS:S. Period.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It is though. No one said it was just online numbers, but CS has a bigger following than halo 2 on the pc.

Slavik81 said:

Look at the data. Both titles aren't even pulling in 2% of the total PC population in any given minute (on average). That doesn't say Halo on the PC is OMG SUPER POPULAR! It says quite the opposite. And if EvilLore's pic of CS:S is an accurate picture of that game's population, then it's easy to see how it would be pretty low on the average as well. Few of those servers are populated. Will they be at peak? Of course. But this data is an average.

What this data says is that most of the time, the overwhelming majority of PC gamers are playing neither. Which is accurate.

And WOW, as expected, is a fucking time sink like no other.

Slavik81

I think it's pretty clear that the Xbox version snuck onto the PC side of things due to a poor survey. It's also rather likely that people just wrote down 'Halo', but meant 'Halo 2'.

"I play Halo PC multiplayer and I've never played it online."

No one said it doesn't happen but for you playing it lan and not online at all puts you in the vast minority of that survey.

"Look at the data. Both titles aren't even pulling in 2% of the total PC population in any given minute (on average). That doesn't say Halo on the PC is OMG SUPER POPULAR! It says quite the opposite. And if EvilLore's pic of CS:S is an accurate picture of that game's population, then it's easy to see how it would be pretty low on the average as well. Few of those servers are populated. Will they be at peak? Of course. But this data is an average.

What this data says is that most of the time, the overwhelming majority of PC gamers are playing neither. Which is accurate.

And WOW, as expected, is a fucking time sink like no other."

No one said that survey did say Halo was super popular on pc but it is implying that both halos are more popular than both CSs and that is a pretty unreasonable statement.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"I play Halo PC multiplayer and I've never played it online."

No one said it doesn't happen but for you playing it lan and not online at all puts you in the vast minority of that survey.
I suppose you think most people play Halo for multiplayer instead of singleplayer.

"I suppose you think most people play Halo for multiplayer instead of singleplayer."

Reread other posts before jumping to conclusions that no one said and besides you seem to be underestimating the people who do play it for multiplayer.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"I suppose you think most people play Halo for multiplayer instead of singleplayer."

Reread other posts before jumping to conclusions that no one said and besides you seem to be underestimating the people who do play it for multiplayer.
I did and it looks like everybody thinks online is the end-all be-all of PC gaming. I just want to know where Solitaire falls in Nielsen's numbers.

edit: yeah i didn't need to say that last part

Slavik81

urk said:
Look at the data. Both titles aren't even pulling in 2% of the total PC population in any given minute (on average). That doesn't say Halo on the PC is OMG SUPER POPULAR! It says quite the opposite.
Actually, it does when we're talking about relative popularity. On an absolute scale, every single one of them has only a tiny fraction of the total audience playing. It's the one with the biggest tiny fraction that's the most popular.

"I did and it looks like everybody thinks online is the end-all be-all of PC gaming. I just want to know where Solitaire falls in Nielsen's numbers."

That's why you quoted me when I agreed with this statement, "Yeah. I'm sure hundreds of thousands of people are still playing the Halo 1 single-player campaign for hours on end without ever touching the multiplayer."?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
That's why you quoted me when I agreed with this statement, "Yeah. I'm sure hundreds of thousands of people are still playing the Halo 1 single-player campaign for hours on end without ever touching the multiplayer."?
Shit. Your lack of quote blocks totally confused me.

Sorry dude.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"Well you wrote the most one-sided sarcastic comment of the bunch.

Or was it not sarcastic?"

?
It looked really crazy because it seemed like you were saying things that went totally back and forth. I see now that you're quoting people with double quotes instead of quote blocks.

"Oh Yes.. Major Nielsen said a MS product is being played more than a competitors.. must be true. Yep yep Yep. And your shit don't stink too"

:lol Wait did you mean major nelson?

TransTrender

Gold Member
I vaguely remember the last time someone did a playtime comparison between CS and Halo and it basically broke down that all time played ever for Halo 1 on PC + Halo 1 and 2 on XBL was less than 1 average month of CS (CS and CS:S). But that was about two years ago, but things wouldn't change that much.

Also don't forget the unreal amount of time that people play on LANs that don't connect to the internet...and all the private servers that aren't listed.

Top Bottom