• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kerbal's Space Program confirmed for Wii U

antonz

Nintendo has made such a huge turn around as far as indie developer relations. Certainly helps that the platform has been successful for so many indies

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
did not expect this game to get a wiiu release

Though it kinda makes sense with the touch pad. Should be easier to key bind things than the controller for the PS4 version. My worry is the console power for it.

B4s5C

Ah this is awesome.

I emailed the kerbal devs back in 2012 or 2013 asking if they would port ksp to the Wii U since it supported Unity (I was a little naive then). They were super cool about it and told me there were no current plans and explained the Unity thing not really being applicable.

Then I was told on Reddit back then that it would never ever happen.

But instead of showing everyone...

I must have deleted the email :'(

Firehead

That's fucking awesome!

That's awesome. I really love how indie friendly Nintendo is.

Nintendo's been doing amazing with indie development with the Wii U.

They've been working hard for some time now. It's pretty easy to get an indie dev licence to publish through Unity/HTML5 on the Wii U.

I strongly encourage anyone with the slightest of interest to go to https://wiiu-developers.nintendo.com/ and apply.

They're amazingly open and INCREDIBLY helpful with everything. They support newcomers and everything. Nintendo are doing a goddamned bang-up job when it comes to that.

That's really too bad that they seem to consider Kerbal to be a finished game and are now working on ports.

I mean... The game's been out of Alpha & Beta for some time now; and it's not like they're going to stop updating it. What's the issue?

Lach

I've been a fan of KSP since day 1 (well not day one but before they started charging).
This fits very well to the Wii U with the gamepad.

dalin80

Banned
Really? KSP reduces powerful quad-core rigs into slideshow toasters when your start having to build 100 piece outer solar system stages. Unless there is a heavy part limit or some *serious* optimising I can't see it being a lot of fun after the initial Duna launches.

This is rad. My 8 year old sister is getting a Wii u for her birthday and she loves to mess around with building weird ships when I let her on my PC. Will get her this for sure.

This seems like it could be really cool. Not sure how they're gonna make it work with a controller and on consoles hardware though.

I really hope they don't reduce the scope of the game or dumb it down to make it work for consoles.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
This seems like it could be really cool. Not sure how they're gonna make it work with a controller and on consoles hardware though.

I really hope they don't reduce the scope of the game or dumb it down to make it work for consoles.

Have you seen the WiiU gamepad?

Trouble

Banned
Surprising, but cool. I wonder how it will run, it could bring my reasonably high-end gaming PC to its knees at times. I think that was largely because they were asking the unity engine to do a ton of physics stuff it was never really designed to do. Haven't played in a while, so maybe they've made some optimization passes at or around the 1.0 release.

Also, obligatory xkcd for any Kerbal thread:
O1zPVHf.png

Terrell

Nintendo's been doing amazing with indie development with the Wii U.

They've been working hard for some time now. It's pretty easy to get an indie dev licence to publish through Unity/HTML5 on the Wii U.

I strongly encourage anyone with the slightest of interest to go to https://wiiu-developers.nintendo.com/ and apply.

They're amazingly open and INCREDIBLY helpful with everything. They support newcomers and everything. Nintendo are doing a goddamned bang-up job when it comes to that.

Not only that, but having this Nindies@Night event, where the games will be shown and the developers themselves will be on hand for the press is a really big deal, shows a great amount of respect and mutual admiration between the developers and Nintendo, rather than just being a means to an end.

Even beyond being helpful with getting development going, the sheer volume and strength of exposure is very much on par or better than what we see from Microsoft and Sony, who don't seem to feel like touting indies in this much depth outside of E3, outside of the press darlings like Journey. Heck, Shovel Knight getting a retail release can partly be because of how hard Nintendo pushed it into the limelight and made it the biggest deal in indie gaming that year.

oti

Banned
That's great! Many kids are on Wii U, they'll love the game and Miiverse will be all over it. Let's just hope it'll run well enough.

KKRT00

So yeah pair it up with a beefy core i7 and it can run 360 games with screen tearing and frequent dips. I think Wii U should manage to do better.

What beefy i7 has to do anything with GPU performance?
Wii U did not better than ps3/xbox360 in many multiplatform titles.
Its the same tier of hardware and saying that Wii U is several times more powerful than HD 4000 is just false information, its not even 50% faster.

Top Bottom