• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kerbal's Space Program confirmed for Wii U

krang

Probably the best console control scheme for such a game. XB1 could match it with SmartGlass, I suppose.

OT - is there any cross-buy or discount for people who already own the PC version?

Decider

Nintendo's been doing amazing with indie development with the Wii U.

They've been working hard for some time now. It's pretty easy to get an indie dev licence to publish through Unity/HTML5 on the Wii U.

I strongly encourage anyone with the slightest of interest to go to https://wiiu-developers.nintendo.com/ and apply.

They're amazingly open and INCREDIBLY helpful with everything. They support newcomers and everything. Nintendo are doing a goddamned bang-up job when it comes to that.

The cost of dev hardware is offputting though, particularly if you're paying additional tax and shipping to have it delivered overseas. Hopefully the NX will allow a retail console to be used as a devkit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Please allow offtv play please allow offtv play

I'm in two minds. On the one hand, off TV play is always good. But on the other hand, Kerbal could really benefit from having HUD elements on the gamepad and having the TV be less cluttered.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The cost of dev hardware is offputting though, particularly if you're paying additional tax and shipping to have it delivered overseas. Hopefully the NX will allow a retail console to be used as a devkit.

I dont think any of the big 3 does it like that, you have to get a devkit but nintendo is liek the cheapest devkit you can get out of the 3.

spekkeh

Banned
What beefy i7 has to do anything with GPU performance?
Wii U did not better than ps3/xbox360 in many multiplatform titles.
Because games don't run fully on the gpu, in fact a number of games did not port over well because of the Wii U's bad cpu. (although more because of Wii U's comparatively outlandish architecture that devs rightfully couldn't be arsed to optimize for, because they wouldn't recoup the costs). KSP likely being cpu heavy gives reason for worry.
Its the same tier of hardware and saying that Wii U is several times more powerful than HD 4000 is just false information, its not even 50% faster.
I don't know where you heard me saying it's several times more powerful. Intel's is a lot newer tech and I wouldn't be surprised if it's clocked higher, though I think where it counts, number of shaders, Wii U probably beats it handily. In any case even if they were somehow comparable, optimization then goes a long way.

KKRT00

Because games don't run fully on the gpu, in fact a number of games did not port over well because of the Wii U's bad cpu. (although more because of Wii U's comparatively outlandish architecture that devs rightfully couldn't be arsed to optimize for, because they wouldn't recoup the costs). KSP likely being cpu heavy gives reason for worry.
But You dont compare graphical performance in cpu limited scenario.
I don't know where you heard me saying it's several times more powerful. Intel's is a lot newer tech and I wouldn't be surprised if it's clocked higher, though I think where it counts, number of shaders, Wii U probably beats it handily. In any case even if they were somehow comparable, optimization then goes a long way.
You didnt say, but You also answered to my post that was quoting the guy who did.

Kikorin

Wow, so unexpected. I always wanted to try this, but my PC is too weak, if the port will be good will be a sure purchase for me.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Probably the best console control scheme for such a game. XB1 could match it with SmartGlass, I suppose.

PS4 could also match it with vita support. Sadly, I doubt there will be vita or smart glass support though. When giant publishers can't(be bothered to) do it, what chance does a small port studio have?

@MUWANdo

Banned
I dont think any of the big 3 does it like that, you have to get a devkit but nintendo is liek the cheapest devkit you can get out of the 3.

MS said they'd be unlocking the ability to use a retail Xbone as a dev unit but I don't know if they actually did it.

Rosur

Surprised this is happening for the Wii U.

Reckon if they add good touch pad controls it would be quite a good version.

hesido

Also, obligatory xkcd for any Kerbal thread:
O1zPVHf.png

That actual job at Nasa had me laughing.

We saw the opposite happen constantly with the 360 -> PS3 ports last gen lol

Both were CPU focused though... PS3 more so. Your comment isn't relevant.

I'm not saying the other person was right, just that your comment was strange and without meaningful context.

That was a case of offloading GPU to the CPU(Cell), not the other way around.

That said, I wonder if they'll limit the maximum number of useable parts?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Both were CPU focused though... PS3 more so. Your comment isn't relevant.

I'm not saying the other person was right, just that your comment was strange and without meaningful context.

That was a case of offloading GPU to the CPU(Cell), not the other way around.

That said, I wonder if they'll limit the maximum number of useable parts?

I was always under the impression that the PS3's cell was much more capable than the 360's Xenon? Just that it was an absolute mess to optimize code on? While the PS3's GPU was generally seen as weaker. I'm not the most knowledgable guy on the subject, as you may have noticed :lol. But I'm always keen to learn more.

Vena

Wow, awesome!

Damon Baker, GAF loves you. Keep it up!

You're not allowed to like NoA! Quick course correct before the universe equilibrates and destroys a pile of puppies!

PS4 could also match it with vita support. Sadly, I doubt there will be vita or smart glass support though. When giant publishers can't(be bothered to) do it, what chance does a small port studio have?

That's not how that works. The Vita isn't lagless rendering and streaming, its over wifi and will introduce delay and input lag.

lyrick

Why do people keep posting this shit?

It's never been done nor is it the same tech.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
You're not allowed to like NoA! Quick course correct before the universe equilibrates and destroys a pile of kids!

That's not how that works. The Vita isn't lagless rendering and streaming, its over wifi and will introduce delay and input lag.

Fixed. Those who didn't turn into squids deserve it!

Seriously speaking, I'm pretty surprised by the results Damon Baker is getting right now. It seems it's doing...somehow better than Dan Adelman in getting indie games on Nintendo platforms. But, honestly, I suppose he just corrected / gave his own twist to an already well-paved path that Dan built after years and years by working at Nintendo. And he's also favourited by the ability of posting directly on social networks / being in Nintendo Directs in order to talk with the fanbase as well compared to...well, Dan's inability of doing that.

I still can't get away from my head his "Nindie Love" back in February. The way he said it too, what the heck.

sörine

Banned
To be fair though WiiWare was getting a lot of exclusive content that we still haven't seen rereleased elsewhere. The Konami Rebirth series being a big omission.
Most of that was from the big Japanese publishers though (Capcom, Konami/Hudson, Square Enix/Taito, Bandai Namco, etc). It's not that those publishers are avoiding the eShop specifically now, they're avoiding Wii U in general.

Vena

Fixed. Those who didn't turn into squids deserve it!

Seriously speaking, I'm pretty surprised by the results Damon Baker is getting right now. It seems it's doing...somehow better than Dan Adelman in getting indie games on Nintendo platforms. But, honestly, I suppose he just corrected / gave his own twist to an already well-paved path that Dan built after years and years by working at Nintendo. And he's also favourited by the ability of posting directly on social networks / being in Nintendo Directs in order to talk with the fanbase as well compared to...well, Dan's inability of doing that.

I still can't get away from my head his "Nindie Love" back in February. The way he said it too, what the heck.

Ehh. Things changes pretty drastically after Adelmann left, so I don't know how much has been "following the beaten path" and how much of it was "I'm making my own path, get out of my way... is this okay boss?".
I've been trying to compile all of the interviews after he took over into a big look at the things he set in motion, but I have been too busy with work! It'd make a great thread on Nintendo's indie progress over the last year and a half, because its been a breakneck course correction.

The narrative and speed of getting stuff done really changed when Baker took over.

I was always under the impression that the PS3's cell was much more capable than the 360's Xenon? Just that it was an absolute mess to optimize code on? While the PS3's GPU was generally seen as weaker. I'm not the most knowledgable guy on the subject, as you may have noticed :lol. But I'm always keen to learn more.
I'm not a subject matter expert either, but this is my understanding. PS3's GPU was weaker so GPU functions were offloaded to the CPU. That caused a lot of issues. PS3 didn't have issues with CPU heavy processes as far as I know, it just had issues forcing CPU cores to pick up the GPU's slack. So ports from 360 to PS3 suffered because of poor GPU/CPU optimization, not because the PS3 couldn't handle CPU processes that the 360 could. Basically, Cell had to brute force processes that GPUs do much more efficiently (not to mention the latency between the GPU offloading to CELL, then waiting to receive the finished process so that it could render.)

That's the opposite situation that the Wii U will be in with KSP. If anything, it'll have to send processes to the GPU that the CPU handles on PC. I just don't see how the Wii U's CPU will handle a massive KSP project. People have built ships with hundreds of individual parts, all being independently affected by inertia, wind resistance, heat, and torque (from the pieces connected to them).

It's enough to bring my 4.5GHz i5 to it's knees. On second thought, I just hope this doesn't turn into another Project Cars where the game physics just can't seem to be optimized enough to be playable.

Decider

The 360 did it just fine for XNA work. Also, just because it's not possible with the current gen doesn't invalidate my wish for it to become possible with the NX. I was disappointed when I finished the call with NoA and tallied up the final costs. It's be good if regional distribution of devkits could be implemented to reduce the initial investment.

The_Lump

Banned
Will re-buy.

Intrigued to see how this runs when I build some of my more...ahem..."Adventurous" rocket designs.

Edit. Touchscreen for building and orbital manoeuvres has me excited :D

Nintendo has made such a huge turn around as far as indie developer relations. Certainly helps that the platform has been successful for so many indies
Indie games appear to be flourishing on both the WiiU and the Vita. Sometimes I wonder if a relative lack of AAA or mid tier games help a little.

Surprising, but cool. I wonder how it will run, it could bring my reasonably high-end gaming PC to its knees at times. I think that was largely because they were asking the unity engine to do a ton of physics stuff it was never really designed to do. Haven't played in a while, so maybe they've made some optimization passes at or around the 1.0 release.

Also, obligatory xkcd for any Kerbal thread:
O1zPVHf.png
This just sold me on the game haha

mclem

To be fair, he had a job in robotics, not astral mechanics.

The alt-text of the cartoon actually makes that explicit:

To be fair, my job at NASA was working on robots and didn't actually involve any orbital mechanics. The small positive slope over that period is because it turns out that if you hang around at NASA, you get in a lot of conversations about space.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN

Vita can connect to the ps4 via home network or directly to the console itself. And yes, lag may be introduced, but it would probably be easier to build rockets in kerbal on a vita utilizing the touchscreen than it would be with a ds4.

Why do people keep posting this shit?

It's never been done nor is it the same tech.

I'm sorry? Streaming from a ps4 to vita is not the same as streaming from an Xbox to a tablet?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I just learned about Kerbal. Day 1.

maxcriden

Squad now unsure if Kerbal Space Program will release on Wii U

This thread was made a while back, but we think it's necessary to shed some light regarding this topic... The industry landscape changed since we made that announcement. Although we were excited to release this port, external factors are forcing us to reevaluate if it is the right move for Kerbal Space Program. It is still to soon to give you a definite decision, so we'll give you more detailed information in the future.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/5q32xj/squad_reevaluating_release_for_kerbal_space/ (via GoNintendo)

Top Bottom