• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle Story by Sauropod Studio [Kickstarter 400% Funded]

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/902505202/castle-story

New Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMCWVvuza_s

---

This game looks fantastic.

Screen21.jpg

+ Design and build a castle.
+ Randomly generated voxel world.
+ Day / night system, combat, destructible environment.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwZdXRPeYrc&feature=player_embedded

Built in Unity by two guys. Looks awesome.

KevinCow

Banned
So it's like an RTS with bits of Minecraft and Worms?

Okay. Sure.

It's clearly pretty early, so hopefully they can build a fun game on top of those mechanics.

Eh...

I mean, for 3D I have Minecraft, and for 2D I have Terraria, so... what gaming need is this going to fill for me?

I like the idea of a voxel-based world, though. Good luck to the developers.

Looks like they made some progress from the last time I saw this. Enemies at night look cool, as well as the combat. Still hope they can get the destruction to turn out kick ass.

Zyzyxxz

Ok I got sold on the trailer, I mean you build your castle and defend it?! Good enough for me and only $15 with the beta release being this October so not too far away.

It's already almost fully funded on the first day too.

whyman

$81,841 now! Funded the first day. Thats really great and i hope they use the money well. This can be a really great game.

Perkel

Banned
I had this project on my radar since january. Good that they are doing kickstart it should help with development.

Neat for 25$ you can play already prototype !

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
What is with the current obsession with games where you can build things?

DiscoJer

Same reason legos have been around forever. Lincoln logs before that.

And before that, Erector sets, in 1911. They seem to be gone now, but were still pretty big when I grew up in the '70s

Tinkertoy, too, starting in 1914

It's actually surprising that it's taken so long for this sort of thing to catch on in the virtual world. Especially when you had the Sims (where one of the main things is house building) be such a huge hit. People like building stuff, at least when it's not a lot of work.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Oh, cool. I didn't know they were doing a Kickstarter from this.

The old gameplay demonstration looked bad... But it sounds like a really promising game.

r1chard

Been looking forward to their Kickstarter. Instapledge :)

It's nice to finally see the trailer they've been working on for so long :)

Haunted

Fantastic that it's doing so well. It's cool to see the progress they've made since that first Youtube video/trailer.

Anything inspired by Minecraft has my attention, and this is definitely one of the better concepts that have spawned from Notch's game. Good stuff.

shaowebb

Reminds me of a Kingdom for Keflings and Minecraft. I like this idea as I fell in love with Keflings. Here's hoping they have nice music like that game too.

ZoddGutts

RTS is very interesting direction to go with the genre. I'm glad people keep taking the concept with new genre merges.

This. We got Terraria from it as well. Remember when Terraria first came out, people were calling a clone of Minecraft just in 2D, but it really wasn't, it had some elements from Minecraft plus action bits similar to Castlevania. We ended up getting a really interesting and fun game.

ZoddGutts

Another thing I like is how the A.I. looks good. Even in there first vid, it was making good decisions as to where to go in routes.

dot

It will have multiplayer? Sweet. The game looks quite cute.

Also, it seems it hit it's kickstarter goal already on the first day. That's a good sign. Will keep this game in mind for later.

ZoddGutts

Yeah, on their kickstarter page it says:

We’re using Kickstarter to be able to fund the next stage of development for Castle Story, so we can build the single player and multiplayer modes. We’ll use the money for:

Software Licenses : As a startup studio, we are missing several tools to help us get the job done. Software is expensive and the costs add up quickly.

Hosting : Our website currently isn't capable of hosting large amounts of traffic. Bandwidth and maintenance for our website and forums as well as a server to handle traffic will be essential.

Multiplayer : We've never done a multiplayer game of this scope before, so it's going to take a lot of time and effort to learn the ropes and get it right.

Music & Audio : We hired two musicians to compose the music for the trailer and the results were pretty amazing. We would like to hire them back again to compose a full fledged soundtrack for the game. We would also hire a professional SFX artist to make the soundscape just as good as the visuals.

Surviving : Paying rent for food and basically sustain the basic needs of three full time developers for a full year.

Polish : If we reach our goal, anything past that will be put back directly into making the game more polished.

I'm pretty much done with Minecraft after burning out 6 months ago.

This looks like an interesting mix of minecraft and a tower defense game with a RTS twist. Will think about this tonight.

Did not realize this thread is about that game so I missed it completely. Thank god I clicked it today. Backed! :) I LOVE this game already.

Didn't click this thread earlier because of the generic name. I just saw an entry of this on Indiegames.com and decided to check out the Kickstarter video.
I think it looks great and can see myself having fun with this.
The bricktons reminded me a bit of the imps in Dungeon Keeper, and makes me wish someone would make a spiritual successor that looks as fun as this.

Top Bottom