• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model (CUH-1200) announced

SerTapTap

Lol people still thinking the blu Ray drive is a relevant cost savings.

Kinda surprised they're bothering with this one but I guess it sends the message that a slim isn't coming (it is already very slim)

Interested to know if this one is notably quieter though.

Foe anyone after matte HD bay you can always buy the matte skin for very cheap and apply it to the bay. This This is what my carbon fibre ps4 looks like now.

LxW9Oeh

Where?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Xbox One is now matte. The redesigned 360 was glossy originally then back to matte, iirc.

That's a different console tbf and the 360 was matte originally and went glossy with 360 slim 5 years later. Yes there was a matte version of that console in some bundle as well IIRC, but it still was a minority.

vg260

That's a different console tbf and the 360 was matte originally and went glossy with 360 slim 5 years later. Yes there was a matte version of that console in some bundle as well IIRC, but it still was a minority.

Well in any case, glossy never seems to stick after being introduced. There almost always seems to be at least one matte revision later.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Well in any case, glossy never seems to stick after being introduced. There almost always seems to be at least one matte revision later.

I must be the only person that likes shiny consoles :)

Well, here's the price drop model. Definitely seems like they were able to remove the clamshell for the memory. We probably won't get a proper die shrink until next year at the earliest with 14/16FF.

I know people are wondering what this is but it's pretty susrpriing what the plan is. They are going to make this the default SKu and run the other models out, and since it's cheaper to product they can use it for a price drop.

However given the amount of the older models out there, and the fact this is getting a slow release, this probably won't happen until next year.

I'm excited for this! Hope it comes to the U.S. sooner than later. Also hope it doesn't wobble as much.

Now how about a fix for the battery on the DS4?

Kudo

Definitely keeping my eyes on this, I did the mistake of buying White Ps4 when everything else I own is Black (Ps3, Vita, VitaTV) so I've been wanting Black Ps4 for a while.
Not going to buy it just for the colour though, if it has other benefits over the older model then I'm interested, like better Wi-Fi or cooling.

Qassim

They did with ps2. They would do it to boost momentum, grow market share faster, get more money from software , PS plus.

Sony as a company isn't terribly healthy financially these days, I doubt it'd be easy for them to justify adding that sort of financial pressure and risk to the business when the console is already selling very well.

On Demand

Banned
I don't get why they do this. They start off with premium parts then change to cheap quality parts. Why not use them at the beginning? They did the same thing with PS3. I'm not a fan of the glossy material since it scratches easily, but it does make the PS4 look HQ. I'm guessing the glossy back ports will be gone too.

Weird how MS and Sony did this change at the same time. Do they use the same manufacturing facility or something?

Lnds500

Didn't see this anywhere, so here. It's from the EU community manager for PS.

Further differences between CUH-1100 and CUH-1200 PS4:

https://medium.com/@PadPoet/further-differences-between-cuh-1100-and-cuh-1200-387c3241bd31

【Features】
1. HDD bay cover
gloss finish -> matte finish
2. Power / Eject button
electrostatic type -> mechanical type
3. Port layout
OPTICAL―HDMI―LAN―AUX -> OPTICAL―AUX―HDMI―LAN
* No change for AC IN connector layout
4. Length of LED light: Long: CUH-1100 / Short: CUH-1200

【Specs】
1. Maximum power consumption
250W -> 230W
2. Weight (approximate)
2.8kg -> 2.5kg

Extra information:

The limited #MGSV #PS4 console will be a CUH-1200 model. Releases on 2/9/2015
The limited Edition Batman: Arkham Knight #PS4 Bundle will be a CUH-1100 model. Releases on 23/6/2015

HDD bay cover compatibility:
HDD bay cover for CUH-1100 is not compatible with CUH-1200 PS4.
HDD bay cover for CUH-1200 PS4 is compatible with CUH-1100 PS4.

Top Bottom