• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model (CUH-1200) announced

Mikeside

Because they want to save money...

Do you not understand why revisions are made?

I think the question is why do they keep making the electrostatic ones then changing back to mechanical?

Nobody ever complained "oh man I hate my new console with it's OLD GEN mechanical power button :("

Didn't see this anywhere, so here. It's from the EU community manager for PS.

Further differences between CUH-1100 and CUH-1200 PS4:

https://medium.com/@PadPoet/further-differences-between-cuh-1100-and-cuh-1200-387c3241bd31

Cool thanks. So the buttons are actual buttons now. And the LED doesnt illuminate across the entire band?

I'm glad I have my glossy original but I'd like those mechanical buttons. The static touch ones it has now seem kind of finicky and dont always register as easily as I'd like.

Interesting that the glossy cover cannot but used on the new one but the matte can be on both. Early adopter's exclusive I guess.

Vashetti

Banned
I think the question is why do they keep making the electrostatic ones then changing back to mechanical?

Nobody ever complained "oh man I hate my new console with it's OLD GEN mechanical power button :("

The first model is usually the 'premium' one to attract and reward early adopters, then with further revisions they cost-save by using different components.

Start off with it then. It sucks for the people who appreciate the HQ parts then all of sudden we get cheap looking and made materials.

Buy the original ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

balohna

Sony has done similar iterations on every PS console, except they usually remove features. So, be glad they didn't remove features.

Sony has done similar iterations on every PS console, except they usually remove features. So, be glad they didn't remove features.
This is false...only the ps3 this is the case, that was because it ws 599 and not selling well. They had no choice. 3 other of their consoles that has never happened.

Percy

Banned

What was removed on PS1 and PS2? All I can recall was a couple of USB ports and PS2 BC being removed from PS3.

Skux

What does this mean in regular English?

The current PS4 uses capacitive buttons for power and eject. These are the same kind as smartphone touchscreens. There's a sensor which detects the electrical charge of your finger when it touches the button.

The problem with the current PS4's buttons is that they are super sensitive and can be triggered by static electricity or other objects. A lot of people were having a problem where the PS4 would constantly keep running the eject disc procedure even when there was nothing in the drive. On my PS4 I think the heat from the console was causing the rubber foot under the eject button to expand, pressing against the button. Once I removed the foot it stopped happening.

With the new mechanical buttons, a person will have to physically push the button to close a circuit. This means no more unintentional presses by brushing your hand past it, and no more annoying ejecting issue.

Cathcart

Don't care about gloss, the thing sits in an entertainment center and I can't see it anyway. Was really hoping for HDMI 2. They're seriously going to make me buy a separate 4K blu ray player, and then add it to the PS4 next year, aren't they?

damn that sexy whtie ps4 but just an 8% energy consumption still not enough, just like others already said i will wait for a real hw revision to swap my launch unit

BFIB

Finally, full matte. I always set my controller on top of my console, and apparently, it caused numerous scuffs on the shiny plastic piece.

balohna

This is false...only the ps3 this is the case, that was because it ws 599 and not selling well. They had no choice. 3 other of their consoles that has never happened.

What was removed on PS1 and PS2? All I can recall was a couple of USB ports and PS2 BC being removed from PS3.

PS1 removed standard RCA ports and replaced them with a proprietary port.

PS2 removed a port from the front (that nobody used anyway) and hardware DVD playback (needed to install software to a memory card). Pretty minor stuff, but still.

This thing needs more USB ports desperately. Do you hear me Sony? Keyboard, Headset, Controller, USB stick and external HDD fighting at these two little USB ports is pretty bad!

Why they don't have any on the back of the console is beyond me. Hate having the damn Wireless Headset dongle sticking out the front of it all the time.

terrible

Banned
The glossy part of my PS4 has quite a few nasty scratches on top. I've never stacked anything on it and I never touch it except to dust it with a duster so it must've been the duster. It should've been matte from the start!

Ty4on

Looking at the reduced power consumption, I wonder if the APU already received a die shrink. It's too early for that, right?

They could be getting better yields and using less voltage and/or move over to a better node that is still 28nm (like HPM). There are no big 20nm chips in production (apart from Intel...) so I think it would get a lot more fanfare if that was the case.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Eh, I still prefer the glossy half/half, guess I am one of the few. I just got my unit, so I'll be waiting a long while to get another. Unless the proper revision looks more attractive than this.

Oppo

if they were switching to mechanical buttons, they should have added a light to the eject button when a disc is inserted, and some clearer labels/icons. I don't get why they seem to want to hide those buttons.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Will wait for something like this
ps4-slim-confirmed-as-fake.png

WHOA! That's almost too small lol.

Top Bottom