• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model (CUH-1200) announced

Glad I imported that Neptunia PS4 system from Japan, I hate this trend of cost cutting models that then don't attempt to pass any savings onto the customers - particularly when they replace the more "premium" looking parts of the system with cheap, ugly, rough textured matte plastic.

Vashetti

Banned
Does the 2TB one replace the 500gb one? or do you add 2TB to the 500GB already there? Replace, PS4 doesn't currently support external storage (except for backup and restore).

If I upgrade to a 2TB now, then later need more space, and they bring out a bigger drive (say a 5TB one) is there a way to put the 2TB of data onto the new 5TB? 2TB is the current maximum HDD you can put in the PS4. The higher capacity drives are larger than 9.5mm so they won't fit.

I also need to look into how much the 2TB drive costs

Answers in bold.

Mergesort

Does the 2TB one replace the 500gb one? or do you add 2TB to the 500GB already there?

If I upgrade to a 2TB now, then later need more space, and they bring out a bigger drive (say a 5TB one) is there a way to put the 2TB of data onto the new 5TB?

I also need to look into how much the 2TB drive costs

I think you can clone the drive if you connect both drives to your pc

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say very good. The PS4 sells well, and they will only produce the new model from now on (probably already a while). When the first Ultimate Gamer Edition sells through, I give it a high chance of being continued with the newer model.

I'd say quite big if all they're now producing are CUH-1200 models (and why wouldn't they). They'll sell a couple of million units before Christmas and they won't have that many sitting on shelves / warehouses right now.

That sounds good.

v1ncelis

Will wait for something like this
ps4-slim-confirmed-as-fake.png

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I would have totally agreed with you until Witcher 3 came out. That game sends it into overdrive like nothing else I've played on the sytem.

I played TW3 for 5 hours straight last night, it's the most noise I have heard the system make, but it still comes nowhere near the 360 or the phat-PS3. TLOU also raises it to this level IIRC

md99

Banned
Hands down the ugliest console there has been. I know you can buy skins for them but is there anything a bit more extreme you can buy for it short of hiding it under a cardboard box? Are there 'shells' available that just cover the thing up entirely?

I'll probably buy one next year but I don't want it alongside my tv, blu-ray player, av receiver, etc

#firstworldproblem

So this is surely the model they're bringing the eventual price cut with. Would coincide with the apparent improvement in production processes and components, ie cheaper. Sony as a corporation still isn't in much position to sell the PS4 at any sort of a loss so this could have been the plan since day one.

Should be some $350-75 deals on the old model from clearing stock. Still think the price cut is coming right after MGSV.

Is this the end of Sony's decade-long voyage with Piano Black? RIP.
Will wait for something like this
We've talked about this before. It's just not possible unless/until you can design a processor that puts out the same amount of heat as a tablet (among many other problems).
Hands down the ugliest console there has been.
Uh huh.

I don't like this. That gloss cover, though scratch prone was a nice design touch.

Now I have to contemplate buying spare glossy covers or a spare ps4 with the glossy cover.....

Hands down the ugliest console there has been. I know you can buy skins for them but is there anything a bit more extreme you can buy for it short of hiding it under a cardboard box? Are there 'shells' available that just cover the thing up entirely?

I'll probably buy one next year but I don't want it alongside my tv, blu-ray player, av receiver, etc

#firstworldproblem

And my opinion of your opinion is you have hands down the worst taste of all gaffers. IMO.

Vashetti

Banned
Thanks, so I guess I don't need to wait for a 1TB model (that will probably cost more) I just need to get a 500gb model and swap out the HD for a 2TB one

Do the 2TB drives cost a lot? Do I need to search for 2TB 9.5mm HD's?

They're not that expensive, about £70ish. Yes, search for 9.5mm or less, the PS4 can't take anything bigger.

Lupercal

Banned
I wonder how loud it'll be compared to current PS4s. I had to put mine in another room because it annoyed me while playing games.

The uniform look is really sweet though.

So do you play with the sound off then? I've never heard my PS4 and I never sit more than 6 feet away.

thenameDS

I'm replacing my Xbox one for the matte finish at the end of the month and now it looks like I will be replacing the PS4 too.

Would be a bonus if the console is a little more quieter! If tests find its louder or quality is not so good I'll just buy a matte faceplate instead.

BadWolf

Glad I imported that Neptunia PS4 system from Japan, I hate this trend of cost cutting models that then don't attempt to pass any savings onto the customers - particularly when they replace the more "premium" looking parts of the system with cheap, ugly, rough textured matte plastic.

There is a high chance of a price drop this year, probably towards the end of the year at the Paris show or PSX.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Pointless, I'll buy a second PS4 when the real hardware revision comes.

8% less power consumption is actually pretty big. PS4 is already small. Not sure what they can do.

Now do a version without the blu-ray drive pls.

I would be all over this, but market is too small for that thing as of now. May be by end of the life cycle.

spons

Gold Member
Have the people calling the PS4 loud never played an Xbox 360 before? It makes some noise but I wouldn't call it loud.

The PS4 is noisey from time to time, especially in taxing games. The original 360 was a jet engine but the slim versions were very silent.

Ogawa-san

I don't like this. That gloss cover, though scratch prone was a nice design touch.
It's not scratch prone, it's pretty much self-scratching. The glossy part of mine looks like it's been used to surf through a sea of sandpaper and the only way I touch it is with a feather duster.

domlolz

Banned
As I said in the duplicate thread, why do I bother buying consoles when they first release? :(
Wonder when a legit PS4 Lite will be released.

i don't know why anybody buys consoles on release they rarely have anything worth playing and you usually get fucked by design faults not known yet

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I might just want to get it for the lower power consumption.

I don't really see the point if you already own a PS4. The lower power consumption will unlikely compensate for the buying price and the environmental costs of building and shipping the unit.

frizby

i don't know why anybody buys consoles on release they rarely have anything worth playing and you usually get fucked by design faults not known yet

I have gotten a ton of enjoyment out of my PS4. Literally thousands of hours.

So I guess that's why.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The PS4 is noisey from time to time, especially in taxing games. The original 360 was a jet engine but the slim versions were very silent.

Tbf I'm comparing the launch version of both consoles not hardware revisions, comparing the slim 360 (a revision 5 years after launch) to the launch PS4 would be a little unfair. Also my Slim 360 made a fair amount of noise at times as well.

To get back to my original point, I don't think the PS4 is loud.

vg260

Why do the console manufacturers come out with glossy consoles in the first place? Seems like they always end up going to matte anyway.

Markitron

Why do the console manufacturers come out with glossy consoles in the first place? Seems like they always end up going to matte anyway.

Wasn't that really just the PS3? And the 360 went the opposite way.

Top Bottom