• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Game Menu

Dunno if this has been done, but I am in love with the Brutal Legend menu. I have never really put much thought into a game menu. Until I laid my eyes upon this masterpiece. I don't care so much for the buildup
Jack Black walking to the record store etc.
but the actual menu is godam(sp) art. I'm not sure what it is, I can't pin it on a certain aspect, but it is fucking amazing.

So, I now think I have a game menu fetish, please share with me other great menus(if you think the brutal legend one sucks, I apologize but please share) I am hooked.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM4iFpDHtyk&feature=related

Chittagong

Gold Member
wipeout3menus.jpg

By far

RIP Designers Republic

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Halo 3.

-Incredibly functional.
-Clean and simple.
-Keeps the feeling of the series, yet it manages to look fresh.
-Excellent background music.
-Amazing flow between single player and multi player.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
MGS4.

When MAIN FUCKING MENUS starts getting emotional, it's serious.

HunkyDory

Neo Member
MGS4's was brilliant, although I think my favourite is probably still Metroid Prime's.

Both pretty much set the tone for what was to come.

HunkyDory said:
MGS4's was brilliant, although I think my favourite is probably still Metroid Prime's.

Both pretty much set the tone for what was to come.
Can't recall primes menu, but Super Metroid is a classic menu I adore. Taught me where to shoot through the pipe. Loved that touch.

Isn't the Brutal Legend 'menu' just a video on loop? :\
I mean, sure, it's cool but... not deserving of "best menu", IMO.

Wip3out ftw indeed.
EDIT: Or WipEout HD Fury... both are equally awesome in their own respect.. and I uploaded the video below this post. :lol

ShortBus said:
wip3out ftw.
If possible please add a YouTube link or another pic. I like to consider myself a hardcore gamer, but I have been deployed and missed a few years/games every now and then since 97. I tried to play them all.

Revolutionary said:
Isn't the Brutal Legend 'menu' just a video on loop? :\
I mean, sure, it's cool but... not deserving of "best menu", IMO.

Wip3out ftw indeed.
It is just a loop when you press right/left etc. but I found it so clever and smooth. It just seemed like all menus should be hay way.

ShortBus said:
Ok, that is god damned art in motion, but that goes more towards the intro? I am talking about once you press start, decide to change the options or extras etc. But fuck, my love for the wipeout series is renewed 10 fold. I used to play them on my ps1 hooked to a shitty 2.5 inch camcorder screen on ship. Fuck, I beat ff7 and so2 on that screen. HD is fucking mind blowing after the shit I've played on haha

dragct

Post number three FTW, a came here to mention WipEout 3 too. The Special Edition is a little bit more awesome. TDR <3

Other favourites:
- DiRT 2
- Colin McRae Rally 2.0
- Gran Turismo 4
- Ridge Racer V
- Metroid Prime

Mdk7 said:
the DiRT ones were astonishing.
I haven't seen DiRT 2, don't know if they even improved them.
Agreed. Although I dont like it more than Prime 2's, its much better than most. Great presentation, and something that actually takes advantage of the tech available.

jiggles

Banned
For title screens/mode selections:

Crash Team Racing
God of War series (particularly 3, where he's more animated)
FIFA 08/09/10
WipEout HD Fury
LittleBigPlanet

For in-game:

Dead Space
Burnout Paradise

abstract alien said:
Metroid Prime 2 destroys every other game in this thread. From its sleek, yet simple design, to its epic music, to its wonderful animation....yeah. It wins, easily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqmnM4N1-64
WTF, how did I not think of this. So sexy and smooth. It still doesn't have the
uumph
that brutal legand had. And I also agree with the MW2 poster. Being able to skip ads is goddam(sp) hot. Reminds me of kz2 pre patch. Was beautiful!

Son of Godzilla said:
Modern Warfare 2.

EVERY LOGO IS SKIPPABLE AND HAS NO LOAD TIME OMG HOLD ME.

THIS! FUCKING THIS! EVEN ON PS3!! Send me Party Invite and within 10 seconds of accepting the invite, I'm in the fucking party!!! HEAVEN, I TELLS YA!

Killzone 2 came to a close second until they patched that shit and forced us to watch the shit-ass intro... Fuck THAT!!

Top Bottom