• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Code Veronica is a bland game

akaoni

Banned
Caught the RE itch a little lately and decided to have another shot at CV. Last time I tried playing it was via the Gamecube version, where I quit about halfway through when you go back to the island as you begin the Chris part of the game. This time I have the 'remastered' version of the game from PSN. I've beaten RE0-RE6 and CV is the only one I've never finished of what's considered the mainline titles.

The transition to 3D brought the game down atmospherically, rooms with what are more or less flat blue-grey dominating so many areas look horrible. The wild change of environments from the previous titles only add to the problem. Sound design does not have the threatening atmosphere for me either but that might be my bias.

Setting and area design are quite clever in some ways, you make various trips back and forth, maybe as an old style RE game you could compare it to RE3 in that sense which it might even improve upon in being less linear (been a few years | EDIT: On second thoughts probably not), but the areas themselves are mostly forgettable for me or they feel kind of like they were made then hacked together, while in RE3 you get the sense you are traversing the city and the big ass mofo is going to mess you up.

Equipment again feels like it took RE3 and upgraded it to annoying levels. Within minutes of starting the game you have dual handcannon things and they absolutely tear through everything while you begin swimming in pistol ammo AND bowgun. The game doesn't seem to have difficulty options on PSN at least so there's no way to change this. You can take a ridiculous amount of damage before reaching critical health status, maybe 4 times as much as REmake for example, it seemed more efficient to risk getting hit and save ammo for later at times.

One thing I will give it credit for is the boss fights were quite difficult if you like random difficulty spikes.

So really Resident Evil Code Veronica is a shit game in the series it belongs to yet I can find plenty of of people that suggest it's great or even the best of the series. There's opinions and then there's being outrageous. Reaffirm what I believe or convince me I'm missing the greatness please GAF. That's my rant.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
WUT? maybe i have my nostalgia glasses on but i remember it being pretty awesome.

Also, the soundtrack is AMAZING.

I remember when this track started i stopped playing, pressed pause and just listened to it non-stop.

The Code Is Veronica

credit theme is also great.

end credit theme

I could post a lot more, the whole OST is one of the best in the series.

Full soundtrack playlist

While i agree some of the environments were a little dull after the wonders of pre-rendered backgrounds in previous RE games, CVX was anything but a bland game.

AsV4tSO.gif

This guy still remains one of the best villains to ever feature in any game ever.

Kind of agree here, though i played this like more than 5 years ago so i don't remember much.

You mentioned RE3 though, i kind of want to make another run through that. I really consider it the best PSX RE game, just too good...

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Still think its a great game. Was mad jelly when it was only released on Dreamcast at first and then extremely happy when the PS2 version was announced. Diappointed that the cliffhanger at the end still hasn't been resolved.

Anung

Un Rama
Nailed. It has elements I enjoy (music was great) and for its time it looked so damn amazing. But it's over long and a bit bland. Sniping Nosferatu makes me want to shoot myself.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
CV has some of the worst, most ineptly designed boss encounters ever.

It's got its moments, but on the whole its not a particularly good game at all.

brett2

When Code Veronica first came out on the Dreamcast it was before the PS2 or XBOX were even available. The only comparable games were on the PS1 and N64. So you have to understand that at the time, Code Veronica was an incredible step up for the series. I was a fan of the original RE and when I played through CV at release I was highly impressed. Maybe it hasn't aged well but at the time of release CV was easily the best RE game. So there's that.

Is Revelations worth picking up?

it's basically re5 with slower pace, emphasis on atmosphere and worse gunplay (i think the enemies are to blame for that, the ooze almost give no feedback when hit)
don't expect a re1-3 kind of game, it's still action-y (esp. in episodes other than with jill) with the obligatory rail shooting sequence

raid mode is great fun at lower levels, i didn't like higher difficulties as much (most enemies are bullet sponges)

Azric

Banned
You're crazy. The game is great, and the atmosphere of the game was amazing. I'd say it's better than RE3 and RE5, and about RE1 level. I can only clearly put RE2/4 above it.

Salty Hippo

Completely agree. Never understood how a lot of people consider it a great game. Actually surprised to see other people here agreeing.

On Demand

Banned
One of the best RE's imo. I don't think the full 3D environments affected the mode and atmosphere of the game. It was the same.

And it had very interesting characters. Alexia and Alfred were brilliant.

saher

Banned
i wish the game actually was all about the prison, i dont think there is a RE were you escape from a huge prison.

AkuMifune

Banned
Agreed. And I love classic RE more than most. Chris sections are fun, but story is ridiculous and bandersnatches are terrible enemies.

RE0 is better. Yeah, I said it.

Azric

Banned
It isn't a bad game, but not nearly as good as the original trilogy is. I would still buy it on Steam if it went up though.

I have no idea how anyone can really put RE3 above CV. I know at the time CV wasn't too popular due to being released on DC.. Took a couple years for people to get it on PS2.

Chabbles

Its a solid old school resi game, i completed it twice back in the day, tried the HD PS3 version when it dropped, but got bored after 5 or 6 hours, might try again.. I'd definitely agree about the blandness compared to the first 3. The game just felt a bit dull in comparison. I didnt really like the level lay out and aesthetics of the game, and hated the characters. If the characters and story weren't as extra cheesy as they were, it may of been an easier playthrough.

It's easily the worst of the old school Resident Evil games. It puzzles me that it's so well loved. I don't know why that is, but it probably has something to do with Dreamcast nostalgia and it being the first next-gen RE at the time, because the game itself is pretty bad.

It was pretty amazing 14 years ago when it was released...

Some games don't age well.

Some don't deserved to be 'rated' 14 years after release either.

Code Veronica might not have held up as well as REmake, but it was an absolutely incredible game for it's time, and was in some ways the best the series had produced at that point. It was also a fuck awesome dreamcast game.

It was pretty amazing 14 years ago when it was released...

Some games don't age well.

Some don't deserved to be 'rated' 14 years after release either.

Perfectly stated.

danwarb

No U. It's a great, proper Resident Evil game. Complete with plenty of hilariously bad and memorable lines. One of my favourite REs.

Manu

Probably my least favorite of the mainline series.

And I hate that it can screw you near the ending if you don't know certain info beforehand you have no way to know in a first playthrough.

Riddy

I understand OP, but I still love this game. I've replayed it at least once every two years since I bought it release day for Dreamcast all those years ago.

It's not the WORST Resident Evil, that would be RE0. But it's a close second place. Dull scenario, dull monster design, bland environments and a drab art design that's neither scary nor interesting. The Tyrants on a Plane boss battle was pretty cool though, and it's got good music. And Alfred is a delightfully weird villain, though he gets totally fazed out by Alexia and Wesker halfway through and even by then kind of overstays his welcome.

It had some neat ideas I guess. Being able to dual wield certain weapons and actually aim at two different enemies was kinda cool, and I like that it set a precedent for melee attacks to actually be useful (though it wouldn't be until RE4 that they were again). But overall its just a boring game, both to look at and play, and it goes on for AGES. It's probably not even that long, but compared to how brisk RE2 and 3 are it feels like a chore.

Top Bottom