• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NSMB 2 Review Thread

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, as the follow up to perhaps the most controversial Mario platformer in recent memory, I thought a review thread might be interesting.

With the excerpts I tried to give a mix of the most positive, most negative, and most middle ground reviews.

Please feel free to share any additional ones you find or provide your own impressions.

Reviews:

Videogameszone.de: 91
Nintendo Life: 9
ONM UK: 9
Eurogamer Spain: 9
IGN: 8.5
NWR: 8.5
Vandal Online: 83
GameTrailers: 8
Cubed3: 8
Nintendo Gamer: 8
Guardian: 8
3DJuegos: 8
Meristation: 8
Gamexplain: 8
Metro GameCentral: 7
GamesRadar: 7
Joystiq: 7
games(TM): 7
Gamereactor Sweden: 7
Destructoid: 7
Gamespot: 7
---
Metacritic: 78 (based on 26 reviews)

Excerpts:

IGN said:
It is impossible not to be drawn in by the simple perfection of New Super Mario Bros 2’s mechanics and level design – this is as pleasurable and effortless as 2D platforming gets. But it’s also impossible not to be disappointed that it’s over so quickly, and doesn’t offer anything really new. The best Mario games reinvent themselves at the same time as paying loving homage to what went before; they take something you know and love and make it feel new all over again. New Super Mario Bros doesn’t do that - but it’s a delightful game while it lasts, and still the best 2D platformer on the 3DS.

9.5 Gameplay: Only the lack of novelty detracts from the perfection of this formula.
7 Lasting Appeal: A 5-6 hour single-player quest is extended significantly by Star Coins, secret-hunting and (to an extent) Coin Rush, but it’s still on the short side.

8.5/10

Nintendo Life said:
It may not be as gleefully experimental as Super Mario Land 3D, but New Super Mario Bros. 2 intelligently recycles past glories and consequently offers the comfort of what is arguably one of the most enjoyable video game franchises ever.

9/10

Official Nintendo Magazine UK said:
The very definition of bitter-sweet, giving with one hand and then taking away with the other. By default it's the best side-scrolling platformer on the 3DS and yes, it's even better than the original New Super Mario Bros. But that came out six years ago now, and in that time we'd really expected the series to have progressed a little further than just a 3D effect and Coin Rush mode.

9/10

GameTrailers said:
The addition of coin rush and StreetPass functionality extend the shelf life of what would otherwise be a rather limited experience, but while there's still reasonable value here, the new Super Mario Bros. formula is losing just a little bit of its luster. Innovation and creativity don't shine as brightly as they should, but the glitter of great control and tight level design still make New Super Mario Bros. 2 tempting to pick up.

8/10

GamesRadar said:
Unfortunately, the additions to NSMB2 merely add more spokes to an already heavy wheel, so to speak. It's not a bad game by any means, but it's one that steeps itself in nostalgia to mask an experience that falls short of the revival that the New Super Mario franchise really needs these days.

7/10

Joystiq said:
That's the problem, overall: there are plenty of things that were great the first time you saw them, and work together to provide a pleasant experience, but there is no element of surprise, no attempt to dazzle you with new elements. Remember the first time you saw World 4 in Super Mario Bros. 3? Remember how weirdly experimental the Star Road levels were in Super Mario World? That's almost entirely gone, replaced with the rote recombination of stock elements. When NSMB2 does show flashes of clever trickery – like a giant Boo that playfully sneaks forward while covering its face – it only serves to remind me how creative these games used to be.

7/10

About what I expected. There are ton of issues with this game from what I can tell including the difficulty, lack of leaderboards, and lack of real rewards for coin collecting. From impressions it seems like a fun time, but considering this is probably the only 2d Mario game we'll get on 3DS I wish they had put more effort in where it seems like all the real effort is going towards NSMBU

Pretty much in line with what I expected. Thankfully, I don't care very much at all about the apparent lack of innovation, so long as the core game is still a blast to play.

totowhoa

Banned
About what I expected too. I was only going to pick it up if it really stood out from the previous entries in some ways. Since that's not the case, I'm just going to wait for the HD NSMB since I don't really want to play two of the same kind of Marios back-to-back anyway.

entremet

I loved NSMB Wii, but this seems like a step back. Oh well. Still getting it. Will be a hard followup after 3d land, which was amazing.

I'm excited about the game, but it is a little disheartening to hear that there's not much innovation in the levels. :(

I hope NSMBU remedies this.

jbug617

Banned
Listening to Jeff's thoughts on the bombcast, it seems that they played it safe. It's something you would expect from a Mario title.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Pretty much in line with what I expected. Thankfully, I don't care very much at all about the apparent lack of innovation, so long as the core game is still a blast to play.

same here, 100%

game will be great fun, and NSMBU will bring the innovations

Gartooth

Looks about right, the game doesn't attempt at all to do anything new or reinvent the 2D Mario formula. It is more Mario for people who love Mario, but I can see how if you aren't a big fan of the series, this game will do nothing for you. (level design is always the biggest draw for me, so as long as its good I will be happy)

Comet

Kind of disappointing. Seems like the kind of Mario game you can plow through in a weekend and that's that. Not sounding like one of the deeper ones.

I'm not sure if this makes sense, but I hate the feeling like these games were only made to sell systems and not because they really had some great idea to do with Mario. Seems kind of anti Nintendo in that way. They definitely didn't know NSMB would be a hit and NSMBW was their chance to finally add multiplayer.

DR2K

Banned
Unfortunate they didn't do much for the formula. Hopefully the Wii U version turns out much better.

Gartooth

Kind of disappointing. Seems like the kind of Mario game you can plow through in a weekend and that's that. Not sounding like one of the deeper ones.

Yeah that's how I feel about this game, it will be a lot of fun going through it the first time and experiencing all the levels, but beyond that I don't really think it will be a memorable game that I will want to go back and play again like SMB3 or SMW.

Sophia

I'm not surprised. All the Mario titles being ouputted so quickly meant one of them had to suffer. Given Nintendo's reserved attitude to mainline titles before, I'm surprised they pushed out NSMB2 for the 3DS so quickly after 3D Land.

Drago

It sounds like a lot of fun, and that's all I want. :)

I do wish they could have done something new with the series, but I guess I'll have to wait until U for anything like that :/

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'm not sure if this makes sense, but I hate the feeling like these games were only made to sell systems and not because they really had some great idea to do with Mario. Seems kind of anti Nintendo in that way. They definitely didn't know NSMB would be a hit and NSMBW was their chance to finally add multiplayer.

it certainly seems that way, and with the 3DS struggling in the West, they had to play this card

but, it's Nintendo. Game will not be an half-assed cash cow.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Still looking forward to it as I do love my Mario platforming, and all signs point to the level design being quite good, but I'll be damned if I'm not seriously disappointed this game is, in essence, a map pack.

I was so hoping that the whole coins concept was integral to the entire design philosophy, rather than simply another relatively useless gimmick for earning more lives. And the one mode that does use the coin collection in a desirable way, drawing upon arcade gameplay, has none of the arcade standards (eg: leaderboards) that are important to increase longevity and desirabilities of said modes. Something as simple as online leaderboards between friends would have been a boon, and it's disappointing to put it up against something like Mario Kart 7, where the spotpass ghosts and leaderboards were exactly what the formula needed to keep people playing.

NSMB2 definitely seems like desperation from Nintendo. Coupled with the 3DSXL, this was their big system seller. They banked on a tried a true franchise and formula to shift units, and unlike SMB3DL it appears NSMB2 was done as quickly and economically as possible. Though, as said, I enjoy Mario platforming, innovation is more important, and I'd much prefer to have longer waits between 2D Mario titles (or any game for that matter) if it means I'll get something more fresh and creative.

It will be interesting to see how NSMB Wii U shapes up. I have a feeling this is the bigger effort of the two, and the proper successor to their NSMB Wii effort.

I'm not surprised. All the Mario titles being ouputted so quickly meant one of them had to suffer. Given Nintendo's reserved attitude to mainline titles before, I'm surprised they pushed out NSMB2 for the 3DS so quickly after 3D Land.

One word: sales. NSMBU seems like it started after NSMBW and has had the real development budget while NSMB2 seems like it decided upon last year when 3DS sales weren't what they wanted. It seems the real development may have even started as late as last November.

Sophia

One word: sales.

The problem is that it seems like an obvious short term sales grab, with no regards to long term sales. Particularly when you take into consideration that the long term health of Mario is something Nintendo's usually invested in.

Or as EatChildren above me put it: desperation.

Really? It looks like a second dose of disappointment to me.

Seems like the first entry in the series with a somehow tolerable presentation. I even like the theme song although the ,,vocals'' are still annoying as shit.
And seeing how this game here was handled by youngster developers like the underwhelming DS game, I suspect that U might actually get intriguing stage design again in the vein of the Wii game.
In other words, it looks something I'd play and even pay for, even more so in comparison with this thing which feels like a ROM hack map pack and should have been handed over to a bigger team that would have made a proper Wario Land out of it or something

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
It's a shame they don't complain more about the GFX, I realize at the end it's not what it's about but I'd prefer either a different style or something a bit more polish

3D Land on the other hand is absolutely gorgeous

There's also Gamexplain's review:
Gamexplain: 8

Even though I was expecting these kind of scores, I still think this can be a great entry of the series. I liked NSMB and NSMBW a lot, and this one is looking even better than those two. The only drawback I've seen so far is the million coin reward, but even so it'll be nice to try to reach that goal. Either way, it would have been nice if Nintendo had spent more time on it and experimented a little. I hope New Super Mario Bros. U is even better!

suaveric

One word: sales. NSMBU seems like it started after NSMBW and has had the real development budget while NSMB2 seems like it decided upon last year when 3DS sales weren't what they wanted. It seems the real development may have even started as late as last November.

On top of getting a late start they also had to meet a very early deadline so it wouldn't compete with the Wii U game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So... is this going to end up being the lowest rated Mario platformer ever?

Well, here are the recent-ish ones:

SMG 1: 97
SMG 2: 97
SMS: 92
SM3DL: 90
NSMB DS: 89
NSMB Wii: 87

We're only 18 reviews in right now though, but it is a fair jump up from 79 to 87.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So now that it's a game lots of people feel disappointed at, we care a whole lot what the metacritic average is?

And I think NSMB DS got a high score pretty much because of the void it filled. It had been over a decade since a real 2D Mario game and people were very enthusiastic about it. It was only later that it didn't seem nearly as good as it could have been.

ohlawd

The reviews are pretty much positive all around so that's good. I already laid down the preorder so I'm looking forward to the game. I have no doubt I'll be met with the fun Mario platforming I adore.

That said, everyone's eyes are probably on NSMBU now because the bulk of the creativity had to go somewhere else so to speak. If NSMBU doesn't deliver on the creative scale then that's that.

Eusis

It's a shame they don't complain more about the GFX, I realize at the end it's not what it's about but I'd prefer either a different style or something a bit more polish
I actually feel a significantly different STYLE may be very important for SMB games. Each entry (save SMB2j) had a significantly different look compared to the last, and I think only half of that was in the advance of technology. If they were to try going for that and dropping some of the quirks (like the vocals) it'd at least feel markedly fresh even if the gameplay was essentially the same. Well, you should at least throw a few interesting new powers in if you can, but I guess that's where the coin thing comes in.

Lyude77

The problem is that it seems like an obvious short term sales grab, with no regards to long term sales. Particularly when you take into consideration that the long term health of Mario is something Nintendo's usually invested in.

Or as EatChildren above me put it: desperation.

But it's still probably a good game, so I don't think it will affect the long term health of Mario at all. I agree that it was probably rushed to market to boost the 3DS - I just don't think it will hurt Nintendo. I will say though- If NSMBU is overly similar to the previous NSMBs like this game, it may affect the long term health. NSMBU better be much more creative than NSMB2!

I was worried about a possible lack of creativity in NSMB2 when I read the Iwata Asks summary, and these reviews confirmed my fears. The people going through the Mario crash course seem to have stuck too close to the courses they were trained on rather than using their newness to the series to create new ideas/inventions for those levels. I hope the Wii U team doesn't have that same problem. NSMB Wii didn't (at least in my mind), so if they can make a game as good/different as that, I would personally be happy.

I think a large step towards making NSMB games fresh would be to just change/replace some of the world themes from grass, desert, water, ice, jungle, mountain, cloud, fire (probably replacing grass, jungle, water, mountain, and star). They don't even have to be huge changes - just change grass to mushroom or something, intersperse water levels throughout and create an entirely new world like a night world with different enemies, etc. At least NSMB2 has night levels, so Nintendo remembers they're a thing.

Anyway, I am gonna wait for NSMBU and will just pick this game up next year.

And I think NSMB DS got a high score pretty much because of the void it filled. It had been over a decade since a real 2D Mario game and people were very enthusiastic about it. It was only later that it didn't seem nearly as good as it could have been.
Those kinds of thoughts show how much better NSMB Wii is than NSMB DS, at least to me. If NSMB Wii hadn't been made, I doubt I (and probably others) would be so retroactively disappointed in NSMB DS.

boy did people ever get it wrong with 3d land and nsmb ds.

i think a lot of people were dazzled by those style of games than their actual level design. nsmb ds in particular being the first new 2d mario in 14 years.

hoping the level design in nsmb2 is more like nsmbw's. i think nsmbu is going to be the real showstopper though.
I feel the same way.

AniHawk

Well, here are the recent-ish ones:

SMG 1: 97
SMG 2: 97
SMS: 92
SM3DL: 90
NSMB DS: 89
NSMB Wii: 87

We're only 18 reviews in right now though, but it is a fair jump up from 79 to 87.

boy did people ever get it wrong with 3d land and nsmb ds.

i think a lot of people were dazzled by those style of games than their actual level design. nsmb ds in particular being the first new 2d mario in 14 years.

hoping the level design in nsmb2 is more like nsmbw's. i think nsmbu is going to be the real showstopper though.

I feel in a lot of ways NSMB2 is kind of like the next CoD/Madden, you know what you're going to get. If you enjoyed the past ones and want more of it you'll love it, if you're not a fan this isn't going to change your opinion.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Nintendo thinks they can just get away with this? A half baked expansion pack anchored to a bullshit Zynga inspired social media experiment? Well they can't! I'm outraged! I'm ... I'm....

Im so buying this hour zero.

So now that it's a game lots of people feel disappointed at, we care a whole lot what the metacritic average is?

Of course a metacritic average isn't a true measure of the quality of the game, but it is an insight into the general reception of the game. Most franchises get to a certain point where even if the games are of a similar (or higher) quality than their predecessors the average score is lower.

That's already sort of happened with NSMB, with the clearly superior Wii game scoring lower than NSMB. Now it looks like NSMB2 is lower down again. What does this mean for NSMBWU? Are these scores a ture reflection of the quality of the game or just franchise fatigue?

Gravijah

That's already sort of happened with NSMB, with the clearly superior Wii game scoring lower than NSMB. Now it looks like NSMB2 is lower down again. What does this mean for NSMBWU? Are these scores a ture reflection of the quality of the game or just franchise fatigue?

wouldn't sales be a better indicator of franchise fatigue?

zroid

Banned
NSMB DS being that high is criminal.

For a bit of perspective, you guys ought to read this thread for a bit: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100768

There's naturally some negativity there, as with any game, but the vast majority is overwhelmingly positive. NSMB was much loved in 2006.

Hell, even avowed haters of the game today might be surprised to find a post they themselves made in there proclaiming their love for it.

Top Bottom