• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch hype levels in Japan

Mohonky

People aren't lying when they say splatoon. Anytime I played in off hours, there were nothing but Japanese folks kicking my ass lol.

As an Australian, pretty much every Splatoon match was an all Japan affair.

Never got any lag that I noticed though. Will be interesting for voice chat this time round.

Seil

Okay, did not realize it was a Musou game, thought from what little I saw of it that it was something else entirely. (The footage I saw looked closer to Final Fantasy Explorers.)

It's different but it's probably easier to compare it to the Musou/Warriors games than other things, when going for a comparison. Especially since it uses that engine and is made by Omega Force.

shounenka

a game literally wouldnt work without hd rumble wtf

Skyward Sword didn't work without Motion Plus. While that constitutes a "reverse pattern" of sorts, if the market ends up dictating that "lower price point/greater portability">"presence of HD rumble as standard," then Nintendo will find a way to make the rumble-less SKU the base SKU in the interest of popularizing and selling the platform. If we're talking a year or so down the road, it wouldn't be inconceivable. Are there no early 3DS games that REQUIRE the 3D function, for example?

Skyward Sword didn't work without Motion Plus. While that constitutes a "reverse pattern" of sorts, if the market ends up dictating that "lower price point/greater portability">"presence of HD rumble as standard," then Nintendo will find a way to make the rumble-less SKU the base SKU in the interest of popularizing and selling the platform. If we're talking a year or so down the road, it wouldn't be inconceivable. Are there no early 3DS games that REQUIRE the 3D function, for example?

I think some of the stages in 3d mario are heavily dependent on 3d

Those days are over.

Maybe as a mobile device it will hold its own against all the smart devices though.

unless youre talking about a new thing entirely , how is that switch supposed to do that with almost no smartphone features?

Branduil

How else do you propose they shave off enough from the cost to manufacture the thing to make a material difference? It seems to me that overhauling the original device will start with the controllers.
No dock, a smaller screen, and having the controllers integrated into a single unit should enable it to be far cheaper. The 2DS is far cheaper than the N3DS just because it's one piece with a single 2D screen.
I can't see them making the Switch even smaller. Have you seen the thread with pics of the insides of the Switch? Its super tightly packed together already.
They would have to switch to a smaller node. A smaller node would mean everything, especially the battery, could be much smaller.

AniHawk

I know Splatoon sold really well but some people make it out like it saved the Wii U.

it might as well have. the system was on its way to dying in mid to late 2015 and splatoon turned things around and postponed its death until late 2016. it was a new ip that sold 1.5 million units on a console with a userbase of 3.3 million. it's a pretty amazing feat.

at least on paper, splatoon 2 should perform really well.

D.Lo

it might as well have. the system was on its way to dying in mid to late 2015 and splatoon turned things around and postponed its death until late 2016. it was a new ip that sold 1.5 million units on a console with a userbase of 3.3 million. it's a pretty amazing feat.
Not to mention the related merch and broader brand trappings. What other game has toys, candy, concerts, spinoff CDs, tournaments, clothing, etc after launching on a failed console only 1-2 years ago.

You can get licensed Splatoon masking tape. Licensed Splatoon masking tape!

Zalman

Splatoon 2 will do well in the summer, but I think the success of the Switch year 1 depends significantly on Pokémon. I don't doubt that it's in development. The question is, will it come out this year?

Vinnk

Pre-orders sold out in my town. My daughters classmates talk about the switch a lot and I see a lot of ads in Primetime TV. They feature a pretty famous comedian.

Anecdotally: WAAAAAY more pre-release hype than the WiiU. Less than the Wii.

Anecdotally: WAAAAAY more pre-release hype than the WiiU. Less than the Wii.

I feel like every single other major console ever released fits that description haha.

sadbox-500x300.jpg

Terrell

How else do you propose they shave off enough from the cost to manufacture the thing to make a material difference? It seems to me that overhauling the original device will start with the controllers.

Since it would be a smaller form factor, a smaller screen, for one.
It would also mean removal of the motion IR camera, since a portable only Switch would likely lack detachable Joycons.
That also means no need for separate batteries for 2 Bluetooth controllers that snap to the side of the device.
Since games would be running in their respective handheld modes only, they could skimp on the internal hardware components so that they only achieve the maximum outlined performance for handheld mode.

That's a hell of a lot more savings than just taking out HD Rumble.

As outlined above, there are many things that can add up to a cost savings without taking out features that would be available to standard Switch games in handheld mode.

Trojan

Very anecdotal, but I'm in Tokyo right now on vacation and I'm seeing Switch ads all over the subway and rail trains. At the same time, I've hardly seen any handheld gaming systems in public. Mostly noticing phones and tablets on the train.

Will be very curious to see how the Switch does in Japan.

It would also mean removal of the motion IR camera, since a portable only Switch would likely lack detachable Joycons.
That also means no need for separate batteries for 2 Bluetooth controllers that snap to the side of the device.
Since games would be running in their respective handheld modes only, they could skimp on the internal hardware components so that they only achieve the maximum outlined performance for handheld mode.

As outlined above, there are many things that can add up to a cost savings without taking out features that would be available to standard Switch games in handheld mode.
And then you have a Vita... and then it fails.

D.Lo

Chû Totoro;230711734 said:
No. The Vita's problems were not hardware. It was software and price. The only thing 3DS had over it was support and (eventually) price. You could also claim 3D and clamshell, but I doubt 3D was that much of a deal, and the 2DS has neither.

A dedicated handheld Switch would be a direct successor to the extremely successful 3DS.

ubiblu

No. The Vita's problems were not hardware. It was software and price. The only thing 3DS had over it was support and (eventually) price. You could also claim 3D and clamshell, but I doubt 3D was that much of a deal, and the 2DS has neither.

A dedicated handheld Switch would be a direct successor to the extremely successful 3DS.

Don't forget the mind-boggling stupid proprietary memory card costs. Idiotic corporate greed at its finest. As much as I love my Vita and Sony as a whole, the system deserved to fail because of this one pathetic decision.

dadjumper

I live in Tokyo. As far as I can tell, the hype level is about what you'd expect for a new console. Pre-orders are sold out everywhere, and they're running ads on trains, so it seems like they're pushing it enough to where awareness is high.
That said, Japanese people kinda don't care about game consoles anymore. A lot of the perception in the west is that they play handhelds, but it's really more phones than anything else. Very few of the kids in my high school classes play games on anything but phones. So it remains to be seen whether or not it'll succeed.

Terrell

Chû Totoro;230711734 said:

And if it were released in isolation, you'd have a point. The reason such a device could/should exist is that Switch in its current form will never satisfy every customer due to its form factor alone; some handheld gamers want something that can actually go in their pocket. Such a form factor, at a lower price, captures that market. The market that others in this thread even say the Switch can't capture based on those 2 factors. And by the time it releases, it will have 1 and a half to 2 years of a full library of titles available, if not already purchased in the event of someone owning the standard Switch model.

ranmafan

I live in Tokyo. As far as I can tell, the hype level is about what you'd expect for a new console. Pre-orders are sold out everywhere, and they're running ads on trains, so it seems like they're pushing it enough to where awareness is high.
That said, Japanese people kinda don't care about game consoles anymore. A lot of the perception in the west is that they play handhelds, but it's really more phones than anything else. Very few of the kids in my high school classes play games on anything but phones. So it remains to be seen whether or not it'll succeed.

While certainly cell phone games are where its at now for many in the country, especially teenagers, younger kids on the other hand are really into a mix of the cell phone games and the portable systems. I always see kids where I work after school with their 3DS gathered together playing monster hunter or pokemon. Of course thats to be expected since these kids wouldn't have their own smartphones, but would have a 3DS. Most of them ask me if I play these games too. In fact with the exception of Pokemon Go, which I get asked a lot if I play, lately Ive gotten a whole lot less questions on if I play cell phone games. But when I do its always the big ones. More often Im getting questions on console games, which is a nice change of pace.

For it to be big, they are going to have to go after that market. But right now, with whats being released at launch, it seems like thats not happening yet. It will once Splatoon comes out. And let me tell you, theres very few things more popular with the kids in japan these days video game wise than Splatoon. Its right up there with minecraft and any cell phone game. In my opinion that game is more important than Zelda or Mario for Japan right now. If they get that out around summer vacation time, Nintendo better have enough stock cause it will be huge then!

Honestly, I don't see them going this route, as it ultimately limits the capability of Switch being a universal platform.

The only thing I see happening is Nintendo removing the dock, making the internal components efficient enough to remove the active cooling, and adding a higher capacity battery. I think this is what they will pass off as their handheld for a much lower cost. It would still be compatible with the dock, so if users wanted to purchase that later, they'd have no problems.

On the other side, I foresee them digging into this SCD patent and making a higher end dock that can scale image quality.

All of this should give them years before they have to push for a redesign.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It will once Splatoon comes out. And let me tell you, theres very few things more popular with the kids in japan these days video game wise than Splatoon. Its right up there with minecraft and any cell phone game. In my opinion that game is more important than Zelda or Mario for Japan right now. If they get that out around summer vacation time, Nintendo better have enough stock cause it will be huge then!
What if Nintendo did monthly online tests until release? ^o^

Kureransu

I really don't see a revision happening at all. What you guys are asking for is a new handheld. The system itself is plenty small and thin. I think people are grossly over estimating the size of this thing. Take away the home console portion then why even call it a switch.

Branduil

I really don't see a revision happening at all. What you guys are asking for is a new handheld. The system itself is plenty small and thin. I think people are grossly over estimating the size of this thing. Take away the home console portion then why even call it a switch.

A smaller revision without detachable joycons serves the same market as the 2DS for the 3DS line. Nintendo will want to offer a cheaper handheld that's ideal for younger children.

I mean seriously though there is no way Nintendo releases this without a direct to explain more.... Am crazy or something?

In a couple of days we'll get hundreds of previews from around the world. I'm guessing that will give us most the info we need

Switch-less would already have 1/3 the number of batteries, 1/3 the number of orientation sensors and none of the connectable controller stuff. I think losing HD rumble in a budget version is possible, but maybe they can run with 2 actuators instead of four, we don't know what is in the pro controller yet. Dropping the camera could happen depending on what they plan for it, but I don't think the joycons themselves will change, there's always a huge mark up on these things.
If they are using a 20nm chip which seems likely, a shrink to a more efficient chip should be possible whenever they require it, which should make a fanless version possible.

I guess but they have done a horrible job on giving the details on what this console is about and can do

Like what? They covered most of it at the January event, and this overview video covers the vast majority of the system's features: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUEhQ65FOJ8

Are you talking about the UI? Well, we've seen that, and there's not really enough of interest there to build a direct around. The most handy OS feature is probably the capture button, which they've covered.

Switch-less would already have 1/3 the number of batteries, 1/3 the number of orientation sensors and none of the connectable controller stuff. I think losing HD rumble in a budget version is possible, but maybe they can run with 2 actuators instead of four, we don't know what is in the pro controller yet. Dropping the camera could happen depending on what they plan for it, but I don't think the joycons themselves will change, there's always a huge mark up on these things.

Would they be able to use 1/3 of the gyro sensors? Surely having 3 sets of them in a switch with connected joycons increases the accuracy and games may have been coded for handheld mode to assume 3 sets are there?

Would they be able to use 1/3 of the gyro sensors? Surely having 3 sets of them in a switch with connected joycons increases the accuracy and games may have been coded for handheld mode to assume 3 sets are there?

I doubt it uses all three tbh, I guess it could be more reliable but if the rumour about them planning a VR shell is true then the one in the central unit should be good enough.

I doubt it uses all three tbh, I guess it could be more reliable but if the rumour about them planning a VR shell is true then the one in the central unit should be good enough.

Maybe i honestly don't know thats why i was asking
I honestly dont think they'd take out HD rumble though, nintendo is gonna be buying a tonne of those actuators so i imagine they'll become pretty cheap in a year or so

online, VC, game prices, storage?

Games are $60, by and large, but will vary.
Storage has also been answered, it has 32 GB internally, with MicroSD/SDHC/SDXC support for up to 2 TB.
Online play is the area that's been under discussed, but that's because the service won't launch in full until fall, with the tie-in App not launching until Summer. On day one, we know that you'll be able to start building your friend list and playing online in titles like Bomberman.
Virtual Console also needs to be discussed, but as no Nintendo system has had Virtual Console at launch since the Wii, I don't think it's likely that it'll make launch here either.

Kureransu

A smaller revision without detachable joycons serves the same market as the 2DS for the 3DS line. Nintendo will want to offer a cheaper handheld that's ideal for younger children.
I disagree. Detachable controllers is one of the features that define the switch. It's about where and how you play. Versatility is the DNA of the console. Notice the 2ds isn't called a 3ds. If they make a handheld out won't be called a switch anything. If kids can play on iPads, they can play on this.

noshten

I disagree. Detachable controllers is one of the features that defines the switch. It's about where add how you play. Versatility is the DNA of the console. Notice the 2ds isn't called a 3ds. If they make a handheld out won't be called a switch anything. If kids can play on iPads, they can play on this.

I totally agree with this sentiment, sure dock and optimized portable variant that could also be docked would be a good way to bring the price down in a year or two. Yet I don't foresee the Switch having a variant that's cheaper than $200 in the next two years(it's already around $250 in Japan based on the current conversion rate).
Perhaps they will do bundles to add additional value but I don't foresee a price drop unless the Switch repeats 3DS's launch struggle.

What I do hope is that there would be an additional computing unit at some point which will allow games like SSB, MK8D, Splatoon 2 to be played by up to 32 devices in the near vicinity, local LAN via wi-fi, recordings of all local sessions etc. Mainly create a device that is focused on providing large scale LAN experiences for selected games or a device that up-scales selected games on docked mode. If they allow this unit to provide greater battery capacity that is able to charge Switches on the go and name it the SwitchCube. That's the direction they can go that would cover the portability needs of Japan while also providing a reason for Western owners to purchase an additional piece of tech.

AntMurda

If the system's table top mode takes off for school kids in Japan (and world wide) then the biggest benefactors will be Mario Kart, Splatoon, and Smash Bros.(Monster Hunter too). More so than Animal Crossing, and Pokemon who don't thrive off that feature as much.

Terrell

Honestly, I don't see them going this route, as it ultimately limits the capability of Switch being a universal platform.

A universal platform it may be, but it's not going to make it universally appealing. Though I think we'd need to define that phrase "universal platform" a bit more.

We live in a world where the Nintendo 2DS and 3DS XL exists and both actually sell well. The current form factor simply will not appeal to all people. Period. It's like saying "why make a smaller/larger iPad or iPhone?" or even "why make an iPad at all if it's just a larger iPhone without the ability to make phone calls?"
It shows a gross misunderstanding of how the consumer electronics market works. Form factor is important, even if it sacrifices functionality.

Top Bottom