• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch hype levels in Japan

People aren't lying when they say splatoon. Anytime I played in off hours, there were nothing but Japanese folks kicking my ass lol.

It's going to be the only handheld system once they say goodbye to the 3DS. I think the console will be okay. It may not sell wonders at the beginning but it may eventually reach 3DS numbers.

FingerBang

I don't spend much time on Japanese boards, but I have been in Japan for 4 years and I can tell you that people are looking forward to the Switch. Nintendo is huge in Japan, it still has the biggest market share in general.

But I just don't see any crazy hype surrounding it. Well, at least it doesn't look higher than the PSVR.

I can see it doing better than Wii U but worse than 3DS.

ranmafan

I don't spend much time on Japanese boards, but I have been in Japan for 4 years and I can tell you that people are looking forward to the Switch. Nintendo is huge in Japan, it still has the biggest market share in general.

But I just don't see any crazy hype surrounding it. Well, at least it doesn't look higher than the PSVR.

I can see it doing better than Wii U but worse than 3DS.

Yeah right now the hype for PSVR here is insane. Switch is good but no where near that level yet. But when splatoon comes out that hype will come in huge amounts.

ultrazilla

Unfortunately, it's probably going to get a Pikmin game. Nintendo really needs to let that one go.

/Throws a few Rock Pikmin at OrbitalBeard for massive damage!!

image.14306467.7818.u1.jpg

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Didnnt think psvr would be that desirable in japan, especially now when I think it kinda fizzled out slightly

Branduil

It's sold out pretty much everywhere in Japan right now. Doesn't necessarily mean anything in the long run, but at the very least the launch seems pretty hyped.

Theres definitely marketing for it here in stores. Lots have ads out noting the release day and places like Amazon are sold out of preorders.

In general a lot of people know about it, it will definitely sell out of stock as every new device does but overall I'd say its on par with any other new console in terms of initial hype levels. I don't think they have shown anything or done a big enough ad blow out on TV here yet to get people losing their minds though.

Soft launch... soft ad campaign I guess. Releasing it around the new school year break was also a good call. Parents might be more willing to grab it as a reward.

TLZ

Banned
*Creates a misleading definitive thread title to make people come in read about hype levels in Japan*

*People come in to find out OP is asking a question*

Fgs OP.

brad-t

But that also brings up a concern I have for the system. Small but one that could be an issue. While Nintendo keeps saying this is a console first, I think people in Japan will view it as a portable first.

The marketing in Japan seems — to me, at least — to be pushing the portable angle much harder. It makes sense.

Switch sales in Japan will starting blowing up around Splatoon 2. Before then, it'll have spikes and dips (Launch spike, dip, Mario Kart 8 spike, dip, maybe ARMS spike). Though I think part of that will be due to manufacturing issues. Maybe they'll hold back a number of units for Splatoon 2.

I could be wrong and 1-2 Switch might be the next Wii Sports.

Zolbrod

I don't frequent Japanese message boards, but I do live in Japan, and there's plenty of commercials on TV, and pre-orders seem to be sold out at most stores, but some of the larger stores still have some.

In this respect, it seems to be doing better than Wii U already ;)

/Throws a few Rock Pikmin at OrbitalBeard for massive damage!!

image.14306467.7818.u1.jpg

Best Pikmin type

From what I can tell, it's got some buzz around it here in Tokyo. Really can't believe I haven't seen any demo stations set up anywhere though. Shit is sold out everywhere and signs are in windows apologizing for sold out preorders, so I assume people have been asking about it.

I'm going to try to get on in store on launch day since I missed preorders, but I'm pretty worried about my chances :/ I have a feeling lines will be really crazy.

I don't frequent Japanese message boards, but I do live in Japan, and there's plenty of commercials on TV, and pre-orders seem to be sold out at most stores, but some of the larger stores still have some.

In this respect, it seems to be doing better than Wii U already ;)

wheeeeere?!?!? :eek:

ranmafan

Didnnt think psvr would be that desirable in japan, especially now when I think it kinda fizzled out slightly

Oh it's insanely desirable here. I think a lot of people misthought how vr would be accepted here. But as we can see by the lines at every restock it's a huge success. Sadly it's also built up lots of anger among people who can't get it. But yeah a huge success still .

Right now with it, the switch release next week, and dragon quest xi this year it's an insanely good time for console gaming in Japan.

ranmafan

The marketing in Japan seems — to me, at least — to be pushing the portable angle much harder. It makes sense.

Absoutely, it's really the best angle for them to sale the system here. It will be what makes it a success especially in the short term. And hopefully in long term they can get that price down so they can sale more to kids and all. Then it will be an even greater success. But if they can't I expect there will be many upset kids that can't have their own switch system rather than a family unit.

shounenka

I expect there will be many upset kids that can't have their own switch system rather than a family unit.

So true.

For what it's worth, kids at my daughter's elementary school are already buzzing about it (according to her, of course). The recent string of commercials during prime family TV hours is definitely boosting awareness.

The price and size of the system will prevent it from being the next 3DS, at least as long as that platform continues to exist.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
So true.

For what it's worth, kids at my daughter's elementary school are already buzzing about it (according to her, of course). The recent string of commercials during prime family TV hours is definitely boosting awareness.

The price and size of the system will prevent it from being the next 3DS, at least as long as that platform continues to exist.

It isn't really much bigger than the 3DSXL though?

Also it isn't much more expensive than when the 3DS launched and it has a much stronger line-up to push people to overlook the price.

ranmafan

So true.

I've heard the same things as well from work. Kids have started to gain awareness of it. Far faster than they did Wii U at its begining which is a great bit of news for Nintendo. And my own kids, even at the young age they are, they get excited seeing the switch cms when they air. My daughter hasn't asked me yet but I bet she will soon wonder when I'll get one (sadly not for a while as I just got PSVR and that was so hard to get here in Japan).

But yeah I think it's going to be interesting to see how the system plays out this first few months. As well as 3ds too. As long as it's there it's going to be something fighting for attention as well. Also there's the whole dragon quest 3ds and switch thing where the 3ds version is anticipated but the switch version is coming yet no details are known about it. I can imagine whatever that version is will cause for a shift from 3ds to switch quickly, particularly if it's a port of the PS4 version.

Juice

I've seen about a dozen switch ads on Japanese TV over the last week.

The Splatoon 2 ad is particularly good. (Young salaryman grabs switch, meets up at friend's house for multiplayer with a group)

shounenka

Eh, do you expect it to never receive a price drop or revision?

The system in its portable form is not compact enough for elementary school kids to comfortably lug here and there. And if you want to talk about price, perhaps we can look back on how well the 3DS did at its initial price point. Families in Japan nowadays are spending less money, not more (You'd be amazed at just how many kids have still only played the free DEMO versions of Pokemon Sun/Moon).

HD rumble/"Switch"-less, smaller version in a year's time at a 20000 JPY/200 USD price point is my call. Right in time for the next Yokai Watch/Pokemon mainline game.

it has a much stronger line-up to push people to overlook the price.

Lol, does it?

Splatoon 2's performance will be interesting to see though.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
The system in its portable form is not compact enough for elementary school kids to comfortably lug here and there. And if you want to talk about price, perhaps we can look back on how well the 3DS did at its initial price point. Families in Japan nowadays are spending less money, not more (You'd be amazed at just how many kids have still only played the free DEMO versions of Pokemon Sun/Moon).

HD rumble/"Switch"-less, smaller version in a year's time at a 20000 JPY/200 USD price point is my call. Right in time for the next Yokai Watch/Pokemon mainline game.

Lol, does it?

It does.

I don't see how anyone can question that.

3DS didn't really have anything of substance till MK7 and Monster Hunter later in the year.

Lol, does it?

Meanwhile it was one of the most successful launches ever for a 3DS game. Not sure that is a good example.

shounenka

Meanwhile it was one of the most successful launches ever for a 3DS game. Not sure that is a good example.

True; however, I would surmise that tighter strings on the family purse may have kept that performance from being even better, and certainly, those same strings will keep the same family from unhesitantly spending 30000 JPY on a vidgame system for their kid.

justchris

Is there a Monster Hunter announced for Switch yet? If there is, I'm sure they're hyped. If there's not, they'll be hyped when it's released.

Dragon Quest Heroes is basically Monster Hunter with a DQ skin...so that's probably going to pick up the slack early on.

Terrell

I think a portable-only SKU is an inevitable conclusion for 2018 or so, but no way on earth that it happens without HD Rumble, dude. Sorry to burst your bubble.

And when that SKU does come along, yeah, it'll be a huge deal for people who need that form factor in a device.

shounenka

no way on earth that it happens without HD Rumble, dude. Sorry to burst your bubble.

How else do you propose they shave off enough from the cost to manufacture the thing to make a material difference? It seems to me that overhauling the original device will start with the controllers.

justchris

Uh... the Warriors franchise and Monster Hunter are... not alike...

Okay, did not realize it was a Musou game, thought from what little I saw of it that it was something else entirely. (The footage I saw looked closer to Final Fantasy Explorers.)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
How else do you propose they shave off enough from the cost to manufacture the thing to make a material difference? It seems to me that overhauling the original device will start with the controllers.
a game literally wouldnt work without hd rumble wtf

I can't see them making the Switch even smaller. Have you seen the thread with pics of the insides of the Switch? Its super tightly packed together already.

Top Bottom