• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch hype levels in Japan

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
as far as marketing goes we have gotten atleast 2 threads showing alot of marketing in japan and were generally well rexieved by it according to our japanese gaffers

Not

Banned
Probably won't be a bigger success than in the West thanks to how the console market is atrophying, right? Although Splatoon 2 might help.

Puruzi

Banned
Probably won't be a bigger success than in the West thanks to how the console market is atrophying, right? Although Splatoon 2 might help.
It will most likely kill it in Japan because of the handhold mode. If it was a regular console it probably wouldn't do well but I think handheld mode will make it huge.

Trago

Handheld and splatoon.

It'll do fine there

latest

Is there a Monster Hunter announced for Switch yet? If there is, I'm sure they're hyped. If there's not, they'll be hyped when it's released.

I wouldn't be surprised if NoJ dropped the dock before NoA did. It would be an easy way to cut the price and it would allow them to position the console as even more of a handheld.

I think eventually the Switch will be available without the Dock everywhere, but Nintendo will give it a couple years so that the majority of the user base still has one

I admittedly haven't been following news, but given how often I'm on the internet I'm surprised how little I know about it. My hype is zero not necessarily from its quality, but from lack of information. I mean hell, years later I don't understand if the WiiU is a handheld or a console or what.

I do blame Nintendo's advertising to an extend, definitely. But I also wonder if I live in a Nintendo-less void of blackness.

noshten

In terms of Zelda its garnering a lot more interest even though historically it's never been a major title in Japan. Just today in the Media Create thread we had a hint regarding how pre-orders are going Zelda has already sold around 70% of allocated copies for the launch.

In any case Splatoon 2 will be major system seller for the Switch in it's first year and the launch for Splatoon 2 is when marketing in Japan will really ramp-up. I'm guessing the launch will coincide with summer vacation in Japan(mid/late July).
Splatoon 2 reveal is actually already 5th most watched video on Nintendo Japan, nearly a million ahead of Super Mario Odyssey reveal.

I admittedly haven't been following news, but given how often I'm on the internet I'm surprised how little I know about it. My hype is zero not necessarily from its quality, but from lack of information. I mean hell, years later I don't understand if the WiiU is a handheld or a console or what.

I do blame Nintendo's advertising to an extend, definitely. But I also wonder if I live in a Nintendo-less void of blackness.

And you are a member on this site?

Neoxon

It'll probably take off in Japan when Splatoon 2, Pokémon (Stars?), & Monster Hunter come out on the platform.

In terms of Zelda its garnering a lot more interest even though historically it's never been a major title in Japan. Just today in the Media Create thread we had a hint regarding how pre-orders are going Zelda has already sold around 70% of allocated copies for the launch.

In any case Splatoon 2 will be major system seller for the Switch in it's first year and the launch for Splatoon 2 is when marketing in Japan will really ramp-up. I'm guessing the launch will coincide with summer vacation in Japan(mid/late July).
Splatoon 2 reveal is actually already 5th most watched video on Nintendo Japan, nearly a million ahead of Super Mario Odyssey reveal.

While there's been a few big underporformances in recent years its bullshit to say zelda has never been a major title in Japan, even the ocarina 3ds remake sold well over half a million

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
people who are handheld partial seem to want to stay on 3DS as long as possible. I think nintendo are going to have to forcibly stop it at some point if they want better switch sales

openrob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdWd8fUC71g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUEhQ65FOJ8

What don't you know. I am really suprised because the advertising has been so good for the Nintendo Switch

people who are handheld partial seem to want to stay on 3DS as long as possible. I think nintendo are going to have to forcibly stop it at some point if they want better switch sales
Buying a Switch is buying into Splatoon 2 and a better Monster Hunter. They're gonna have to do it anyhow.

Neoxon

Which would line up with Pokémon supposedly jumping ship to the Switch this year. It'd be nice if MHXX was doing the same, but I suppose there's always the inevitable MH5 for that. And even if Stars doesn't pan out, there's always Gen 8 for Pokémon to make the switch.

Aroll

There were lines (so I read) of 150+ people at stores the first day they were available to pre-order.

It should do fine.

noshten

While there's been a few big underporformances in recent years its bullshit to say zelda has never been a major title in Japan, even the ocarina 3ds remake sold well over half a million

It's difficult to separate what is viewed as a major title in the console vs the handheld space. Sure half a million would make it one of the most successful console games at the end of the year in Japan but half a million on a portable/handheld would be mid tier.

Vena

I am of the impression that, prior to whatever the unknown allotment update was in Japan, that the Switch was effectively sold out nationwide. I do not recall if the second allotment survived for very long and/or is still available.

At current, there does not appear to be much of a capability to achieve "better sales".

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Buying a Switch is buying into Splatoon 2 and a better Monster Hunter. They're gonna have to do it anyhow.

Sooner rather than later is on nintendo though, Japan is always slow on the uptake these days

Switch is selling badly? Have i been asleep for a few weeks?

I am of the impression that, prior to whatever the unknown allotment update was in Japan, that the Switch was effectively sold out nationwide. I do not recall if the second allotment survived for very long and/or is still available.

At current, there does not appear to be much of a capability to achieve "better sales".

No, i'm saying if they want better sales than they will get between people opting for a cheaper 3DS over the switch or just keeping their 3DS as opposed to buying into the switch

Which would line up with Pokémon supposedly jumping ship to the Switch this year. It'd be nice if MHXX was doing the same, but I suppose there's always the inevitable MH5 for that. And even if Stars doesn't pan out, there's always Gen 8 for Pokémon to make the switch.

Yep.

jmizzal

once Splatoon hits, we'll see a bump. then a big MonHun announcement and it's off to the races

I really hope Nintendo release Splatoon summer more like June and not summer Sept.

I think that games need to come sooner rather then later, launch will only hold up for a few months, Splatoon could hold things until the big fall releases

maxcriden

I really hope Nintendo release Splatoon summer more like June and not summer Sept.

I think that games need to come sooner rather then later, launch will only hold up for a few months, Splatoon could hold things until the big fall releases

FWIW, as others have said, it's likely to hit in July due to the summer holidays in Japan. I believe Nintendo clarified the summer release date as specifically being during H2, so if that's correct we unfortunately won't see it till July at the earliest.

mrmickfran

It will probably be ginormous in Japan if the rumored Pokemon Stars is exclusive. Adding to the already mentioned Splatoon 2.

That's not getting into Dragon Quest X and XI as well as the eventual Monster Hunter.

Sakujou

Banned
please, i want to see the switch going to places the wii never went. this time with quality games and nintendo having yearly revisions of the tablet-crossover.
i want nintendo to rule over the console market the same way they did back in the 90s.

or how nintendo dominated the handheld market with the nintendo ds.

Top Bottom