• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch hype levels in Japan

D.Lo

A universal platform it may be, but it's not going to make it universally appealing. Though I think we'd need to define that phrase "universal platform" a bit more.

We live in a world where the Nintendo 2DS and 3DS XL exists and both actually sell well. The current form factor simply will not appeal to all people. Period. It's like saying "why make a smaller/larger iPad or iPhone?" or even "why make an iPad at all if it's just a larger iPhone without the ability to make phone calls?"
It shows a gross misunderstanding of how the consumer electronics market works. Form factor is important, even if it sacrifices functionality.
I have no idea why anyone would think there would be no revision. Every single Nintendo handheld has had a revision, usually to make it smaller and cheaper, sometimes to add features (colour, backlight, extra juice or DSi/N3DS) and almost every Nintendo console too. It's as guaranteed a thing as could possibly be IMO.

The only question is branding, since it most likely won't 'Switch'. Switch Go?

A more powerful home console only revision is something I can see arguments against, but IMO that is inevitable too. Switch Pro?

Malakai

The Switch in it's current form isn't a good fit for a kid anyway. You have small and expensive to replace detachable controller that screams lose me to a kid. Then, given that the Switch is actively cooled, I can't image what a kid could do to clog up the vents in the Switch. If there is a Switch Go or Switch Mini, it will have to have non detachable controllers and possibly a passively cooled design.

The Switch in it's current form isn't a good fit for a kid anyway. You have small and expensive to replace detachable controller that screams lose me to a kid. Then, given that the Switch is actively cooled, I can't image what a kid could do to clog up the vents in the Switch. If there is a Switch Go or Switch Mini, it will have to have non detachable controllers and possibly a passively cooled design.

You mean the same kids who have 800 dollar smartphones?

Kids will manage the switch just fine lol

D.Lo

Not a good example to address the previous poster's specific points at all. Phones are not actively cooled (aka they do not have large vents) and do not have removable parts.

Now phones can also be equally fragile, but the points being made were about grime and lost parts. Also no, very small kids are often not given 800 dollar smartphones, but they may have a Game Boy/2DS etc.

No, probably not the same kids. See, "kids" is a little too broad a term. Some kids have smartphones, yes, but not all of them.

By kids I guess I mean ages 7 and up. I had my gameboy at that age and cherished the shit outta that thing. Used to clean my shit before putting it back into its white package sleeve every night.

In fact, thanks for causing me to reach so far back into memory lane. I thought I lost such mememories :)

D.Lo

By kids I guess I mean ages 7 and up. I had my gameboy at that age and cherished the shit outta that thing. Used to clean my shit before putting it back into its white package sleeve every night.

In fact, thanks for causing me to reach so far back into memory lane. I thought I lost such mememories :)
Most kids are not like that.

My brother had an N64 controller which has been looked after. The stick was still perfect after 5-10 years of use. He let a 7 year old borrow it for two hours for a kids party. He received back a goop filled controller with a ruined stick.

Just look up used Game Boys/GBAs etc on ebay to see the condition some are in.

zenspider

once Splatoon hits, we'll see a bump. then a big MonHun announcement and it's off to the races

My thoughts pretty much. After seeing how invested Capcom was in the Switch code libraries and hardware, Monster Hunter is a foregone conclusion. It will print the proverbial money.

Malakai

I will give you that a smartphone may have had been $800 at some point in time. By the time a kid gets a handy down smartphone, the value of the smartphone would have had diminished by a great degree. Despite this, people in the U.S. at least have the option of giving their kids pre-paid phones which is a great deal cheaper than $800. The Moto G Play is like $79 on Verizon in the U.S. with 2 GB of RAM and 5" 720p screen. Heck, you have some pre-paid carriers selling older models of iPhones for (like the 5S brand new) for $200.

Top Bottom