• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wheel of Time TV show airing tonight??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Sounds like some bullshit. Let's make a low budget shitty version of this thing we hold the rights to, so we can keep our claws in it a little bit longer.

DiscoJer

It can't be any worse than the Conan TV show.

I swear, they literally used plastic kid's swords (and helmets)

Krowley

I just saw the news about this. Looks like some rush-job thing as a scheme to keep the rights.

Might be interesting even if it is terrible.

I'm actually super excited, lol.

FoneBone

Here is some purported info, and a photo:

Behind the scenes still of the TV pilot: WINTER DRAGON. Directed by an epic Director Writer Producer; Seda. Producers: Radar Pictures. Ted Fields Jonah Loop Rick Selvage Rick Morse Max Ryan Billy Zane Mary Alva Mondragon Stacey Mondragon Thomas E. van Dell Lauren Selig Lisette Bross a Larry Mondragon Mike Webber Darren Lemke. Based on the " WHEEL OF TIME " Books By: Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson. #Wot #maxryanofficial SCREENING TIMES: 10.30pm tonight on Fox FXX AND also on various carriers until Monday. #Foxfxx #Fox

Regiruler

I don't know if my uni even gets the channel.

Regardless the fact that they're (probably) making this just for the rights is a disgrace to the series.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
My tv says like past midnight EST on FXX. Only slightly aware of WoT but this sounds too good to miss

Krowley

Hey, hopefully this Seda guy really means business.

Maybe he's like a virtuoso of writing and directing, and against all odds he manages to make an incredibly faithful and sensitive adaption, and the network gets amazing ratings for an after midnight airing, and decide to produce a real show.

LordOfChaos

What wait what?

When the fuck did this even get announced

I think that may be the point, no hype, minimal viewing timeslot...It sounds like a legal play to keep the rights. THey just needed to make a pilot with anything related to WoT in it.

Regiruler

Damn it I don't get the channel here at Uni.

Or at least I can't find it.
EDIT: Nope, not here. RA had a list of channels and couldn't find Fxx.

From what I can gather on the summary, this is either literally starting with the EotW prologue or is based on the Second Age entirely. The latter would be exciting if this wasn't guaranteed to be awful.

gdt

This is fascinating.

Maybe this at least indicates that FX is looking for their own fantasy show?

Regiruler

Does this have any chance of airing on Fx proper? As I mentioned earlier the cable package my school gets doesn't have Fxx.

Rinoa

Wait what?

also damn dragonmount is still around?

Wonder if we'll ever get a high budget TEOTW adaptation like GOT...

ryseing

This is fascinating.

Maybe this at least indicates that FX is looking for their own fantasy show?

Fox has the Kingkiller Chronicles rights.

I don't expect that to be on network Fox, so FX would make a lot of sense.

30 minutes long...no advertising whatsoever...late at night on a Sunday...super super fast schedule, finishing 4 days before broadcast...

Yeah.

Lirlond

Man I really wish I could see this, ashcan or not. You can't really fuck up two guys talking in a corridor can you? The Lews Therin/Ishamael scene makes perfect sense for a shitty rights grab.

Laekon

Seem like the CGI budget would have to be to big to get a show that does the books justice. GoT really has very little magic or non humans so besides the dragons its just sets and extras. WoT has a lot of non-human characters and a lot of magic so I don't see how anyone would/could pay for a live action show.

Hell I thought the first season of GoT was horrible because the few battles had like 50 people in them. I can't imagine how bad the first fight with trollocs would be.

LProtag

I don't know much about the books, but I don't see how anyone can be optimistic about this at all.

I'm really interested in this as a sort of weird curiosity though. Widely popular book series has a pilot shot in one day weeks before it's aired at an informercial timeslot. Pretty crazy.

Rinoa

Seem like the CGI budget would have to be to big to get a show that does the books justice. GoT really has very little magic or non humans so besides the dragons its just sets and extras. WoT has a lot of non-human characters and a lot of magic so I don't see how anyone would/could pay for a live action show.

Hell I thought the first season of GoT was horrible because the few battles had like 50 people in them. I can't imagine how bad the first fight with trollocs would be.

Damn, membering when that first fight was serious business... and soon after trollocs were just fodder.

The budget would have to be on LOTR scale, hella high fantasy.

Krowley

Just noticed from this that Billy Zane is actually in it. He's at least a real actor, and occasionally a very good one.

If this is the sort of rights grabbing scheme it seems to be, I wonder how he got roped into it? Or maybe his career is in the shitter at this point. I haven't really kept up.

I'm recording it, unless there's something about this I don't understand I bet this will be the only time this comes on TV EVER...

Well hopefully if it is bad, it's hilariously bad

Krowley

I'm recording it, unless there's something about this I don't understand I bet this will be the only time this comes on TV EVER...

Well hopefully if it is bad, it's hilariously bad

My feelings in a nutshell.

If it sucks, I hope it's bad enough to make Legend of the Seeker seem like great television.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom