• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief (2014) PC performance thread

knitoe

OK, I got the game running. There appears to be a conflict with my MadCatz amBx Lights gaming drivers. I had to disable them.

What does, "Exclusive Full-screen mode" do in the game video options?

Specs:
i7-3770k @ 4.40GHz
16GB DDR-1600
3 Titans

My Benches: 2560x1440 (Maxed)

Min FPS: 14.9
Max FPS: 74.1
Avg FPS: 59.9

I can test it at wider AR later.
Something seems wrong.

Specs:
2600K@4.5Ghz
2 Titans

BYdTYS2.jpg

kOUKFCi.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Catalyst 14.2 Beta drivers are coming later today with DX11 optimizations for Thief. AMD taking shots :).

Haha, lovely scale there.

No check means borderless window mode I think. People on other forums are getting increased fps by checking it as it's off by default.

Exclusive fullscreen is basically regular fullscreen in other games. Tomb Raider and I think HitmanAbs have the very same option.

frontieruk

Specs:
2600K @ 4.4GHz
12GB DDR3-1600
R290 GB OC Windforce
Win8.1 x64

Settings:
1920*1080, vsync off
Texture Quality: Very High
Shadow Quality: Very High
Depth-of-Field Quality: High
Texture Filtering Quality: 8x AF
SSAA: Low

Driver 14.1 v6
Max FPS 78.4
Avg FPS 50.7

Driver 14.2 v1.3
Max FPS 89.3
Avg FPS 63.8

This next entry is rather out of place with most of the prior High-End PC GAF posts.

Here's one from Extremely shitty Low-End PC GAF.

I figured the rest of low-end PC GAF might be interested to know how their 5+ year old hardware will fare in this game.

There are 32bit and 64bit executables to try out. I ended up going with 32bit since the 64bit one actually performs significantly worse than the other.

Laptop Specs:-

Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 @ 843MHz/882MHz
Windows 7 SP1 Professional x64

Settings:-

Resolution: 1280x720
Vsync: Off
Texture Quality: Normal
Shadow Quality: Low (Only Low and Normal available on DX10)
Depth-of-Field Quality: Normal (Locked to Normal on DX10)
Texture Filtering Quality: Default
SSAA: Off
Screenspace Reflection: Off
Parallax Occlusion Mapping: Off
FXAA: Off
Contact Hardening Shadows: Off (Unavailable for DX10)
Tesellation: Off (Unavailable for DX10)

Benchmark Results:-

Verdict:-

Low-end PC GAF need not bother. The benchmark was very, very CPU limited. My ancient dual core CPU was choking trying to bring those new textures in during the earlier portions of the benchmark which led to the GPU not being sufficiently fed in time, which in turn led to poor GPU utilization (0 - 25% at times) and subsequently, poor average FPS. Monitored using GPUz/Task Manager.

The game actually performs better during the actual playable in game sequences though. Better as in 30 FPS consistently, with huge drops/stuttering as new zones are loaded in.

This is probably the worst performing UE3 based game I've ever played on my ancient system.

The Batman Arkham trilogy runs better. DmC runs better. Dishonored runs better. Borderlands 2 runs better. The Mass Effect trilogy runs better. All of them could be run at 900p+ and High-ish texture settings with decent FPS on this system. This game is just poorly optimized in comparison to the rest of them for an archaic engine.

No wonder even the next/current gen consoles are struggling to hit even 30 FPS with this game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, the benchmark results seem horrible to me. Is it the hitching causing those low FPS results?

How's the loading?

I'm thinking of cancelling the PS4 version in favor of the PC version but if the PC version is going to be shit on my setup I'm not sure I want to bother. :\

UnrealEck

This next entry is rather out of place with most of the prior High-End PC GAF posts.

I appreciate your post though. I like to see how the lower end systems run it.
I'm still curious as to how something like a 260X or 750 Ti will run it.

Man, the benchmark results seem horrible to me. Is it the hitching causing those low FPS results?

How's the loading?

I'm thinking of cancelling the PS4 version in favor of the PC version but if the PC version is going to be shit on my setup I'm not sure I want to bother. :\

Check out the gameplay benchmarks using FRAPS. Those are much more accurate. The in-game benchmark is a bit crappy because it's glitchy, has stuttering and begins recording frame rates too soon, so you get 0.0 min and stupid shit like that.

Something seems wrong.

Specs:
2600K@4.5Ghz
2 Titans

Well don't put much value in the benchmark results, try your own with FRAPS during regular gameplay.
But 1440p plus SSAA on High is probably pretty demanding.

Catalyst 14.2 Beta drivers are coming later today with DX11 optimizations for Thief. AMD taking shots :).

Eh, 3fps difference between 780ti and the 290x? Really not that much of a difference IMO.

So tonight, I think I'm going to finally do the dirty deep and OC my 4770k. Had it since Friday night and it's time I crank it up, especially since Thief seems to be CPU bound.

Anybody else getting stutter when loading into a new area? Seems to be a streaming problem with the engine, I have an Intel 520 SSD so I know its not that and I have no problems with other games, although if I do remember correctly this has been an issue with unreal games in the past.

Happens all the time. On my setup the stutter can bring down the already suboptimal FPS to the single digits or even 0 at times. The game would seem to freeze for a few seconds at a time when this happens. It's just horrible.

dark10x

Screw it, with GMG, I could get the game for $37. To buy it on PS4 would have cost me $77 or so (56 Euro). With that version suffering from issues it made more sense to take a chance on the cheaper PC version (especially considering the reviews).

knitoe

Well don't put much value in the benchmark results, try your own with FRAPS during regular gameplay.
But 1440p plus SSAA on High is probably pretty demanding.

When I say "Something seems wrong,"I was referring to Wag's results. His PC is faster than mine, but his results is worse.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
Anybody else getting stutter when loading into a new area? Seems to be a streaming problem with the engine, I have an Intel 520 SSD so I know its not that and I have no problems with other games, although if I do remember correctly this has been an issue with unreal games in the past.

When are you experiencing these issue, I've only played a little bit, still on prologue where I'm with the other thief preparing to steal from a mansion.

I've had issues like these on bioshock infinite

Wag

OK, I got the game running. There appears to be a conflict with my MadCatz amBx Lights gaming drivers. I had to disable them.

What does, "Exclusive Full-screen mode" do in the game video options?

Specs:
i7-3770k @ 4.40GHz
16GB DDR-1600
3 Titans

My Benches: 2560x1440 (Maxed)

Min FPS: 14.9
Max FPS: 74.1
Avg FPS: 59.9

I can test it at wider AR later.

Nevermind, I had Vsync on previously- here are my new results:

Min FPS: 16.9
Max FPS: 134.6
Avg FPS: 85.2

Here's one from Extremely shitty Low-End PC GAF.

I have a Q6600@3.1ghz (that's 4 cores with an OC of 700 mhz), and a gtx 480oc, with a SSD. The game performance is very... curious.

90% of the time I have 50-60fps, 40 fps in the bigger areas, but from time to time, it stutters badly and falls to 3-7 fps for 2-3 seconds, recovering after to the usual framerate. It seems both the loading and the streaming system isn't designed for old cpus like mine.

I have a Q6600@3.1ghz (that's 4 cores with an OC of 700 mhz), and a gtx 480oc, with a SSD. The game performance is very... curious.

90% of the time I have 50-60fps, 40 fps in the bigger areas, but from time to time, it stutters badly and falls to 3-7 fps for 2-3 seconds, recovering after to the usual framerate. It seems both the loading and the streaming system isn't designed for old cpus like mine.

You can probably assume that this happens on many many setups. UE3 notoriously does this.

FACE

Banned
i5 2500k@4.2ghz and a HD 7950 here and I'm getting 60 fps on very high settings with SSAA off.

The game has been pretty terrible so far, but it seems that Nixxes did a very decent job with the PC version.

dark10x

Eidos Montreal has a pretty terrible rep when it comes to stuttering problems.

Remember Human Revolution? While it's fine now, the launch version was a travesty on PC with super long load times (without any HDD access), horrible constant stuttering, and other such problems. It was a mess.

After a week the game was patched and mostly fine.

That wasn't even using Unreal Engine.

4770k @ 4.5
290x @ 1150/1500
1080p

Locked at 60fps via triple buffer (measured in fraps in game, in game benches suck). Every seems to be running fine on my end. This is on 13.xx drivers. Downloading 14.2 drivers now. Only issue I have right now is the sound sometimes craps it's pants. Hell it even plays like audio clips from NPCs that at half a map away at volumes that would imply they were standing next to me. Also sometimes the music gets all funky, like its playing out blown speakers. Let's hope the new driver fixes that.

Gonna do some benches at 1440p later on the new driver

Hrmm.. after some further gameplay, and having just finished the prologue and heading into the the first proper chapter, it seems like the performance is much better already.

Also, here's a performance tip for those desperately in need of some extra FPS, going Exclusive Fullscreen mode really helps; it also smoothes out the dips and stabilizes the FPS somewhat.

The slowdowns and stutter are more frequent in the city districts, I'm thinking on shelving the game for now (I should own soon a new computer)

thefil

Updated my drivers (NVidia) and got a 10FPS boost. The notes had improvements for Hitman Absolution, so maybe some common optimizations there.

i5 3570K @ stock clock (3.4Ghz)
660Ti
16GB DDR3

Ran the benchmark @1080P with all settings at max except shadows (High) and Depth of Field (Normal). I didn't write down the benchmark results, but these are pretty correct:

Low frame rate: 12
Average: 41
High: 70 something

Really impressed to get this with SSAA; their multipliers must be really low. Also, it doesn't seem to be scattered grid as there are *still* some serious vertical jaggies.

Carm

Has anyone figured out how to turn off:

Motion Blur
DoF
Vignette or whatever it is on the sides and top/bottom of the screen.

And any way to cap the framerate at 30 besides nvidia inspector, which suddenly stopped working and only worked with the global profile? Game is a mess performance wise for me, stays above 30 but the back and forth from 60 is extremely jarring, never seen it this bad.

Really hate those top 3 things being on, looks awful, particularly the stupid vignette or whatever it's called.

Karak

Holy mother the stutter is a thing of horror. SSD with only a couple files on it and this one game and damn I have never experienced stutter like this ever. It is crushing:( Ultra disappointed.

When it does run smoothly it jumps to around 60fps which is good with everything maxed. Game is NOT a looker but once they patch the stutter out it will be easier to appreciate for sure.

Also SSAA is broker correct? No word saying otherwise that I could find.

Damn! This game has some horrible optimization.

Who the hell worked on making this game smoothly?

They clearly failed miserably. This thing is about as smooth as the shave on a ZZ Top band member.

I lowered the settings and got it running pretty well now, but there is no excuse for performance in like this on a game that is HARDLY a looker.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got it up and running and tried the benchmark.

I'm running an i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM, and a Radeon 7970 1ghz with 3GB RAM on Windows 8.1 and using the latest beta 14.2 Catalyst drivers and here is what I got in the benchmark with everything maxed out at 1920x1200 only with SSAA turned off and FXAA left on.

Other than the initial second or two, the game seemed to run at 60fps or over, though. That initial load and 16 fps is lowering the average.

MaLDo

The slowdowns and stutter are more frequent in the city districts, I'm thinking on shelving the game for now (I should own soon a new computer)

Try disabling levelstreaming in the ini file.

Fix the hitches in benchmark without affecting how many assets are loaded on screen.

I guess if some triggers can be affected into the levels disabling streaming (happened with Bioshock Infinite).

UnrealEck

I was running everything maxed but SSAA (off) and I ended up with an avg of 32 FPS on my 780.

edit: @ 4k, lol :p

I got 42 FPS average at 4K (GTX 770) with those settings during 5 minutes of gameplay. The benchmark kind of sucks for an accurate idea of how the game runs.

twisted89

Might be filling up VRAM and then clearing it, used to get something similar on Battlefield when I had a 1GB card.

SandTorso

Might be filling up VRAM and then clearing it, used to get something similar on Battlefield when I had a 1GB card.

I'll just say I also have a Q6660 (Mine is at 3.0GHz), but I'm paired with a 4GB GTX 670 I bought around the time BF3 came out because people told me a Q6600 would be fine for that game (It sucked for larger player counts), and I'm experiencing the same thing he did. I'm also on an SSD and using max settings except low SSAA.

Seems like I get 50-60fps indoors, 40fps outside, and dips to 25fps at moments. Pretty sure we're CPU-bound, as in the benchmark I would average 15fps. This is at 1920x1200

Gotta hold out for that next generation of 8-core Haswell CPUs and DDR4 RAM :p

Does anyone else experience this?

Pry open window
Animation starts
Cuts to load screen and loads for about 2 seconds
Cuts back to game with window opening and Garret jumping in
Explore the 1 tiny room for about 10 seconds
Pry open window
Animation starts
Cuts back to game with window opening and Garret jumping out.

The loads are very quick, but it's always switching to a load screen. My thinking is that I'm loading the game faster than the animation will play out. It's really jarring to explore and it kills the mood.

GTX 780
i74770k@4.4Ghz
8gb ram.

Truant

Does anyone else experience this?

Pry open window
Animation starts
Cuts back to game with window opening and Garret jumping in
Explore the 1 tiny room for about 10 seconds
Pry open window
Animation starts
Cuts back to game with window opening and Garret jumping out.

The loads are very quick, but it's always switching to a load screen. My thinking is that I'm loading the game faster than the animation will play out. It's really jarring to explore and it kills the mood.

GTX 780
i74770k@4.4Ghz
8gb ram.

Think I saw something similar on the GB quick look. That was the X1 version.

Kinda disappointed by the performance of this one. No problem hitting 30fps or so with most everything turned on, but inching it up to 60fps seems to require significant downward adjustments. It's almost like fiddling with most of the settings doesn't actually affect how it runs to the extent you'd expect.

Probably my laptop's CPU is holding everything back.

jtm33

Neo Member
I am having an unusual performance problem with this game. Lots of severe stuttering on higher graphical settings. It often clears up a bit when I have been in one area for a while to where I can look around quickly with no stuttering but it quickly becomes a problem again when I move to a new area. It seems to happen on any graphics setting above the low preset. It not simply low frame rate, when the stuttering is clear the frame rate is fine, and low runs perfectly.

Any ideas? 1920x1080 vsync off, fullscreen

AMD athlon x4 640
GTX 580
4GB RAM

Try disabling levelstreaming in the ini file.

Fix the hitches in benchmark without affecting how many assets are loaded on screen.

I guess if some triggers can be affected into the levels disabling streaming (happened with Bioshock Infinite).

Where is the user version of the ini located though? I can't seem to find it.

I can alter the original BaseEngine.ini file in the game's own folder but I don't think that's the correct way to do it.

Top Bottom