• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief (2014) PC performance thread

Why not unlock it now?

Why does any game have a release date? Just silly to decide to release it at the latest midnight time in the US if you're going to go for a midnight release.

Edit: Oh, you mean via VPN. I would but I'll be playing it through steam's family sharing so the license doesn't transfer until it is officially released. I bought Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 for us which has an even more absurd 10AM Pacific release date.

Eusis

I guess the settings in that benchmark indicate I could probably run this at 60 just fine on a 560 Ti, at worst High or even Medium rather than Very HIgh.

... Why the fuck is this game not 60 FPS on consoles. Metro: Last Light this clearly isn't.

Yes, GTX 770 2GB, i7 920 and 6GB RAM.

The starting area and the area I benchmarked are comparable. The area I benchmarked is maybe a little more open I guess. Scenes with rain are more demanding too, but it's not exactly a performance killer. The game overall seems to run very well.

I wouldn't rely too much on the in-game benchmark. It's best to get an idea from 5 minutes of gameplay and FRAPS.

What resolution? What settings?
I dropped everything. 720p. Low settings. The opening of that benchmark sits at like 10 FPS.

Interesting. If I drop the texture filtering, I can run this at like 45 FPS in game, without issue.

UE3's texture filtering was considered to be heavy on the consoles (which is why it was limited to 4x AF in most UE3 based games by default.) but shouldn't be an issue on the PC. That's pretty odd that lowering AF would produce significant performance gains on your system.

Redmoon

Game runs so much better compared to the benchmark. Holding above 60fps at 4k with only having to turn SSAA down to low, while getting 140+fps at 1080p all max/on.

I guess the settings in that benchmark indicate I could probably run this at 60 just fine on a 560 Ti, at worst High or even Medium rather than Very HIgh.

... Why the fuck is this game not 60 FPS on consoles. Metro: Last Light this clearly isn't.
If your below 1080p res and don't mind turning off fxaa and ssaa(jaggies ahoy), a 560ti should hold 60fps with everything else maxed/on. Then again, I'm not sure how weaker it is versus a 680 classy overvolted.

If your below 1080p res and don't mind turning off fxaa and ssaa(jaggies ahoy), a 560ti should hold 60fps with everything else maxed/on. Then again, I'm not sure how weaker it is versus a 680 classy overvolted.

Bam. This is what got me to 60. Thank you! I can deal with the jaggies if it means I can push off upgrading my rig for a few months.

I thought you were running it on low. The low preset has SSAA turned off.
Should have elaborated - both low and normal perform about the same in the benchmark, but when I actually went in game, I started with normal and messed with the settings. When I had posted, it was purely benchmark settings. Seems like there's a performance disparity between the game and benchmark for me.

dsk1210

Only played about an hour yesterday.

Constant 60fps 1080p with with everything on and ssaa at high on gtx 780 ti, to be expected I suppose, looks nice though, not sure about the game, feels weird not being able to jump unless its contextual.

Eusis

Well, FXAA has basically no cost as I recall though it is kind of blurry, and it's in between the two consoles. Still, that's a damn high resolution in the benchmark, and the better types of AA are pretty taxing on hardware.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
Is this a troll post, or... ?

I'm not taking the mick and I don't "troll" this is the real result I got, what I found that after is I got exactly the same result on medium settings on normal settings with the boxes not ticked (Fxaa, shadows etc)

Maybe it's the benchmark application or my rig, was hoping someone could explain.

dsk1210

I'm not taking the mick and I don't "troll" this is the real result I got, what I found that after is I got exactly the same result on medium settings on normal settings with the boxes not ticked (Fxaa, shadows etc)

Maybe it's the benchmark application or my rig, was hoping someone could explain.

The benchmark is jerky right at the start no matter what, but it's perfect in game, for myself anyway.

Why does any game have a release date? Just silly to decide to release it at the latest midnight time in the US if you're going to go for a midnight release.

Edit: Oh, you mean via VPN. I would but I'll be playing it through steam's family sharing so the license doesn't transfer until it is officially released. I bought Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 for us which has an even more absurd 10AM Pacific release date.

You're in Hawaii too?

:p

and yes, I meant VPN.

Seanspeed

Banned
Specs:
2600K @ 4.6GHz
8GB DDR3-1600
2x overclocked 2GB 670s (334.89)
Win8.1 x64

Settings:
1680x1050, vsync off
Texture Quality: Very High
Shadow Quality: Very High
Depth-of-Field Quality: High
Texture Filtering Quality: 8x AF
SSAA: Low
2 overclocked GTX670's and you're using a 1050p monitor? C'mon JaseC!

Anyways, performance doesn't seem very good considering how the game looks.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
2 overclocked GTX670's and you're using a 1050p monitor? C'mon JaseC!

Anyways, performance doesn't seem very good considering how the game looks.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;) But having said that my currently monitor is literally falling apart in spots so I am due for a replacement, haha.

i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz (I know, I haven't gotten around to OC'ing it yet... I just got it!)
Nvidia Geforce 780 Ti
16 GB DDR3-1866
Windows 8.1 64-bit

All settings maxed at 1920x1080

Min: 18fps
Avg: 61fps
Max: 96 fps

Seanspeed

Banned
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;) But having said that my currently monitor is literally falling apart in spots so I am due for a replacement, haha.
Fair enough. Just think you should put those cards to work!

Also, now reading through more posts, seems like in-game performance is actually better than the benchmarks would suggest.

kudoboi

i7 2500K, 16GB RAM and HD7870 2GB
1080P

max settings with
GRctLOJ.jpg

High settings

pretty bad performance. waiting for the new driver

dsk1210

Fair enough. Just think you should put those cards to work!

Also, now reading through more posts, seems like in-game performance is actually better than the benchmarks would suggest.

Yeah it seemed rock solid in game last night but the benchmark was stutters right at the start no matter what settings, gives a bad representation of the minimum fps.

I'm hoping that performance is dramatically different in-game, because my benchmark performance is disappointing.

Either that, or the game's really dependent on CPU.

d00d3n

The starting area and the area I benchmarked are comparable. The area I benchmarked is maybe a little more open I guess. Scenes with rain are more demanding too, but it's not exactly a performance killer. The game overall seems to run very well.

I wouldn't rely too much on the in-game benchmark. It's best to get an idea from 5 minutes of gameplay and FRAPS.

Thanks, and yeah, the benchmark seems really misleading in this case. 120 fps is possible with some occasional minor frame drops using a 3570k@4.4, 8 gigs ram, geforce 780 sli, ssd and win7.

I can't see much difference with the SSAA enabled either, should be really noticeable - Love to see if someone can get some SGSSAA going. I'm a bit disappointed with the visuals, but it does have a lot of options. I changed my Sli profile to Batman origins and seem to get better performance.

frontieruk

Specs:
2600K @ 4.4GHz
12GB DDR3-1600
R290 GB OC Windforce
Win8.1 x64

Settings:
1920*1080, vsync off
Texture Quality: Very High
Shadow Quality: Very High
Depth-of-Field Quality: High
Texture Filtering Quality: 8x AF
SSAA: Low

1920x1080
i7 4770K @ 3.50 Ghz
16GB DDR3
GTX 780

Ran the first test with everything maxed out (having Vsync double buffer enabled and running in borderless fullscreen):

• Min. FPS: 14.5
  • Max. FPS: 65.6
  • Avg. FPS: 48.3
Second test kept everything maxed with the exception of using 8x Anisotropic texture filtering instead of 16x and changing SSAA from high to low (having Vsync double buffer enabled and running in borderless fullscreen):

• Min. FPS: 18.5
  • Max. FPS: 65.6
  • Avg. FPS: 48.9
Barely any difference.

Wag

For some reason it says mine is "Coming Soon- not yet available" even though I used the AMD Never Settle Gold code. Weird.

Adry9

Specs:
i5 3570K @ 3.40 Ghz
8GB DDR3
HD 7950 Boost 3Gb GDDR5

Running the game at 1080p.

Everything maxed out:
Min. FPS: 15.9
Max. FPS: 65.6
Avg. FPS: 42.9

Everything maxed out except for SSAA (Off):
Min. FPS: 29.9
Avg. FPS: 55.0

CPU bottleneck?

Wag

Nice. So I got the game unlocked and it crashes when I hit "Options" in the launcher, and if I try running the game without Options, nothing happens. Buggy POS. This is in Win 8.1.:(

Any ideas?

d00d3n

Specs:
i5 3570K @ 3.40 Ghz
8GB DDR3
HD 7950 Boost 3Gb GDDR5

Running the game at 1080p.

Everything maxed out:
Min. FPS: 15.9
Avg. FPS: 42.9

Everything maxed out except for SSAA (Off):
Min. FPS: 29.9
Avg. FPS: 55.0

CPU bottleneck?

Try in-game performance with fraps instead of the crappy benchmark. Remember to activate vsync, or the fluctuations will make the fps seem worse.

Wag

OK, I got the game running. There appears to be a conflict with my MadCatz amBx Lights gaming drivers. I had to disable them.

What does, "Exclusive Full-screen mode" do in the game video options?

Specs:
i7-3770k @ 4.40GHz
16GB DDR-1600
3 Titans

My Benches: 2560x1440 (Maxed)

Min FPS: 14.9
Max FPS: 74.1
Avg FPS: 59.9

I can test it at wider AR later.

Top Bottom