• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manhattan - The story of the first atomic bomb - Tuesdays on WGN America

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

WGN America is adding to the pile of Quality TV this Sunday night with 'Manhattan', a period drama focusing on the men and women who developed the world's first atomic bomb. The series was created by Sam Shaw (Masters of Sex) and the pilot was directed by Thomas Schlamme (The West Wing, The Americans).

The premise is novel and the reviews have been strong so far, so it seems like something worth checking out.

Set against the backdrop of the greatest clandestine race against time in the history of science with the mission to build the world's first atomic bomb in Los Alamos, New Mexico. Flawed scientists and their families attempt to co-exist in a world where secrets and lies infiltrate every aspect of their lives.

Cast

• Frank Winters is a bold and off-center American genius who leads a group of scientists within the Manhattan project. Brilliant, kinetic, and self-destructive, Frank is a scientific purist who believes that the work is all that matters.
  • Liza Winter is the beautiful, headstrong wife of Frank Winter. Always the smartest individual in class, she received her PhD in Botany. Liza aspired to lead a life of scientific research at a world-class university—the last thing she wanted was a husband to tie her down. But she fell in love with a man who was as singular as she was.
  • Glen Babbit is Frank Winter’s former mentor, and helps keep him out of trouble. Back at Princeton, it was Babbit who showed up on Frank’s doorstep, asking him to join a secret military project in the New Mexico desert. In one form or another, Babbit has been bailing Frank out of jail since the day they met. In Los Alamos, it’s no different.
  • Charlie Isaacs is the newest member of the team at Los Alamos. Growing up, two qualities set young Charlie apart: his obsession with numbers, and his conscience. In college, he distinguished himself as one of the rarest talents the Harvard physics department had ever seen.
  • Abby Isaacs grew up in a secular Jewish household in the suburban bubble of Brookline, Massachusetts. When Charlie declined his father-in-law’s offer of a sales job with the family business, he caused a rift with Abby’s family that remains unrepaired. Abby remains loyal to Charlie and takes pride in the idea that he is special. She and Charlie share almost no interests other than their son, but they have fun together.

• Sid Liao is a member of Frank’s team. He was Frank’s first call when he put together his team.
  • Louis “Fritz” Fedowitz is a member of Frank’s team – he is funny, nervous and sentimental.
  • Paul Crosley is a member of Frank’s team – he is polished, privileged and ambitious.
  • Jim Meeks is the youngest member of Frank’s team – he is also involved in the local theater troupe.
  • Helen Prins, a tomboyish beauty, is the only female member of Frank’s team.

Videos and Links

Teaser
Trailer
First look

DECLASSIFIED: Frank Winter
DECLASSIFIED: Liza Winter
DECLASSIFIED: Charlie Isaacs

Behind the scenes: Beyond the Bomb
Behind the scenes: "Manhattan" Evolution
Behind the scenes: Bombs Bursting In Air

Manhattan Project timeline

Reviews

A gripping, strongly acted series well worth seeking out.

Tim Goodman

The show is directed by Thomas Schlamme, of "West Wing" fame. He and Sam Shaw (Masters of Sex) take care to allow the story to develop naturally, careful not to hit us over the head with obviousness as we learn more about the characters.

"Manhattan" is the second original offering from WGN America. "Salem" has done well with viewers, despite some second-rate performances and weak scripts. "Manhattan" brings legitimate class to WGN's nascent original content project.

SFGate

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about "Manhattan" at this point. But I like the cast and love the setting and what Shaw and Schlamme do with it. And the production as a whole is such a huge leap forward from "Salem" that I simply wanted to give WGN an attaboy for setting its sights so much higher the second time around.

Alan Sepinwall

There's rarely a moment in Manhattan where we might forget that there's a war going on, and that the work being done on the Hill could play a vital role in the outcome. That level of tension colors the character drama at every turn, which is what makes Manhattan stand out from other period dramas, and that's reason enough to give this series a shot. Factor in the cast and the potential for interesting character developments, and Manhattan is well worth a look.

CinemaBlend

Promo Photos

dcuCRI9.jpg
raNH8fI.jpg

sNTmED7.jpg
GmUOqMw.jpg

G0hijSN.jpg
iWlgcsE.jpg

Empty

interesting setting. i like that they've gone with fictional characters instead of trying to depict the big names in the manhattan project, should allow them to be more mad men-ish with the material.

will wait for gaf impressions, though.

Clevinger

Whoa, Daniel Stern. Haven't seen him in anything in so long.

Btw, a month ago I watched The Atomic Cafe, a documentary that's made up entirely of 40s/50s/60s news clips, propaganda film/radio, and advertisements relating to the development of nukes. Recommended.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm in.

Tangentially, I just picked up The Girls of Atomic City, about the women unknowingly working on the atomic project at Oak Ridge.

Wgn does original programming?

They just started. Salem was the first show earlier this year, Manhattan is their second.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Btw, a month ago I watched The Atomic Cafe, a documentary that's made up entirely of 40s/50s/60s news clips, propaganda film/radio, and advertisements relating to the development of nukes. Recommended.

Sounds like something right up my alley!

Anyone interested in Los Alamos, should check out Richard Feynman's funny stories and hijinks that he got into there - "Los Alamos From Below" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ogSC6JKkrY

Ditto this. Will check this out soon!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Written by Sam Shaw and directed by Thomas Schlamme (yes, a “West Wing” alum), “Manhattan” earns points for being serious and ambitious, while creating a strong sense of atmosphere and place in the isolation — and paranoia — in which the families must exist.

Variety

perkyz

I hope it won't be too 'american-centric' and they won't neglect the contribution from the foreigners who helpt to build the bomb. Too bad they didn't include real life characters, who all had very interesting lifes such as feynmann, von neumann....

I'd also advise everyone to read the comic series 'the manhattan projects', it's a very unique interpretation and is completely awesome.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
NY Times- Testing the Big Kaboom Theory: ‘Manh(a)ttan,’ Atomic Bomb Drama, on WGN

The atom bomb didn’t just end the war, it forever changed the peace. Richard Rhodes, the author of “The Making of the Atom Bomb,” quotes Herbert S. Marks, general counsel of the Atomic Energy Commission, who said the Manhattan Project was a state unto itself that had “a peculiar sovereignty, one that could bring about the end, peacefully or violently, of all other sovereignties.”

“Manh(a)ttan” provides a cleverly imagined portrait of the men and women who were at the epicenter of that peculiar sovereignty.

WSJ - 'Manhattan': Back in Los Alamos

Just two episodes of this 13-part series have been made available—enough to indicate the enormous care devoted to the look of the '40s, to the primitive living quarters.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
TV Guide - Weekend Review: I'll Take Manhattan

Manhattan instantly qualifies WGN America as a significant new player in the increasingly crowded arena of top-tier content producers, adding to this summer's already overwhelming volume of new series worth watching. I empathize with those who may be nostalgic for the days when the TV playing field was simpler and less cluttered, but this is a pretty good problem to have.

Slate - Review: Manhattan

As a thriller, Manhattan mostly works. We know what will happen—they’ll build the bomb—but the how, the twists and turns, the breakthroughs and bolts of luck, supply the necessary momentum. But as a psychodrama, Manhattan has a built-in structural problem: The women are clueless.

Chicago Tribune - 'Manhattan' an egghead's-eye view of the birth of the atomic bomb

"Manhattan," as in the Manhattan Project — which produced the first atomic bomb — improves on its predecessor (Salem). Notwithstanding the odd improbability, the show, which premieres Sunday, is a solid, involving big-canvas drama that plausibly re-creates a time and place and fills it with some original characters.

Reviews have actually convinced me to watch something for once. Rachel Brosnahan could have her main role critical break.

Was Salem decent? Or more AHS style smut?

Cyan

Banned
Worth reading.

I'm a little sad they went with fictional characters rather than the real people, who are goddamn fascinating. I suppose it gives them more scope for drama if they want to invent shit... but the actual story is already pretty dramatic!

I hope it won't be too 'american-centric' and they won't neglect the contribution from the foreigners who helpt to build the bomb. Too bad they didn't include real life characters, who all had very interesting lifes such as feynmann, von neumann....

"Contributions" is putting it mildly. Foreign scientists were absolutely crucial to not only the Project itself, but even to getting the idea of doing the Project into the heads of the folks in charge.

Series premiere tonight:
You Always Hurt the One You Love

In Los Alamos, New Mexico, during World War II, secrets dominate every facet of family and professional life as scientists Frank Winter and Charlie Isaacs compete to create the world's first atomic bomb.

TheOddOne

Worth reading.

I'm a little sad they went with fictional characters rather than the real people, who are goddamn fascinating. I suppose it gives them more scope for drama if they want to invent shit... but the actual story is already pretty dramatic!
Welp, another one to add to my summer pile to read.

Cool, Viserys is in this.

Didn't realize that Harry Lloyd was in this, I really like him.

Looking forward to this, although not sure when I'll actually get around to it. Maybe tomorrow, maybe not until Tuesday.

Way later edit: Turns out I don't get WGN...hopefully they are putting episodes on Hulu or something.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I should have expected an OT.

I think I'm more interested in the actual history that the show covers than the show itself, but maybe it'll grow on me by the time it's over.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Aww, i really hoped we'd get Oppenheimer \ Feynmann \ Fermi \ Von Neumann : (

I suppose this will be a typical bullshit re-writing of WWII history for Americans.

..ignoring the fact that America would never have got the bomb without help from hundreds of foreign scientists who did most of the ground work in the 1930's and were present in New Mexico for the duration?

..in the same way Private Ryan was great entertainment but for the most part is historical bullshit.

..shame is, most Americans actually believe that the Hollywood version of WWII is historical fact.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I suppose this will be a typical bullshit re-writing of WWII history for Americans.

..ignoring the fact that America would never have got the bomb without help from hundreds of foreign scientists who did most of the ground work in the 1930's and were present in New Mexico for the duration?

..in the same way Private Ryan was great entertainment but for the most part is historical bullshit.

..shame is, most Americans actually believe that the Hollywood version of WWII is historical fact.

hey, I'm happy if the Americans get credit for something the didn't do, for once!

TheOddOne

Way later edit: Turns out I don't get WGN...hopefully they are putting episodes on Hulu or something.
WORDS.

- Deadline: Hulu Plus Picks Up Streaming Rights To WGN Drama ‘Manhattan’
Hulu’s subscription service Hulu Plus has bought exclusive VOD rights to stream online episodes of WGN America‘s new historical drama Manhattan, the companies announced the morning after the show’s debut. Under the deal, new episodes of the show will unspool each Monday after their initial Sunday airing on WGN until all 13 have played. The five most recent episodes will be available for free on Hulu’s basic service, after a three-day delay.

Hulu touted the deal in a release as the first time it has secured SVOD rights on a show before a single episode has aired. Manhattan is set in WWII in the Manhattan Project in New Mexico’s desert, where the federal government set up a secret project to research the first atomic weapons, and the surrounding and equally secret community set up to support the work. The show is being produced by Tribune Studios, Lionsgate and Skydance Television. Manhattan was created and written by Sam Shaw (Masters of Sex) and directed by Thomas Schlamme (The West Wing). Executive producers are Shaw, Schlamme, David Ellison, Dana Goldberg, Marcy Ross and Dustin Thomason.

Ratings:
Joe Adalian said:
WGN America's MANHATTAN averaged 904K viewers (233K A18-49) in its initial telecast on WGN Sunday. SALEM bowed to 1.5M/647K in April. [1/2]

However, if you add up all 3 WGN telecasts, MANHATTAN up to 1.4M. Throw in 14 big Tribune stations, it's up to 1.8M. [2/2]

If MANHATTAN gets a standard DVR boost, not hard to see total audience for the debut headed toward 3M. Decent-sized audience for small net.

ivysaur12

Banned
Good premiere -- I'm not really a fan of 90 minute episodes, since the pacing is generally fairly wonky (and let's be real, there's usually a lot that you could trim to make it 60 minutes).

That being said, the second half of the episode was significantly stronger than a somewhat expository first and showed a much more confident series. There are enough elements that really worked that I'm on board for at least the season.

The pilot was solid and intriguing enough that I'll watch some more. It's still situated in the Sunday night logjam, so it'll likely be something that I DVR and catch up on later in the week.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Pretty decent premiere. The first half was a bit of a slog but thankfully things picked up considerably in the second half.

Also, Jonsi & Alex did the music for this? Holy shit.
wait, there was music?

Good premiere -- I'm not really a fan of 90 minute episodes

Huh, was the premiere 90 minutes? I honestly didn't pick up on that.

It's still situated in the Sunday night logjam, so it'll likely be something that I DVR and catch up on later in the week.

Same. It'll operate as a Monday/Tuesday show for me going forward.

clockpunk

Fascinating premise for a series - and very enjoyable. Love the framing and colouration, so very much looking forward to watching this series develop. Cheers for pointing it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom