• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manhattan - The story of the first atomic bomb - Tuesdays on WGN America

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

L+3's are in:

WGN America’s critically acclaimed drama "Manhattan" increased its audience in Live + 3 viewing for last Sunday’s premiere night, growing to more than 2.2 million Total Viewers (+24%), 796,000 Adults 25-54 (+31%) and 634,000 Adults 18-49 (+38%), for its three-play gross telecasts on WGN America and 14 of Tribune’s local stations.

mm04

Enjoyed the episode. It's got me bummed I have to wait a week for the next episode, so that's a good thing. There are shows I regularly watch I don't get like that over. So far so good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Filmed in New Mexico, cool. Not intended to maintain historical accuracy? Eh...
The main character isn't a real person and it really feels like they're amping up all the sex and angst stuff in order to make history "exciting". It's too bad, really.

Cyan

Banned
So I watched the first episode. I don't think I can really enjoy the show. They're not going to be able to explain breakthroughs or the drama of the science and engineering, beyond half-assed metaphors and ominous music while a scientist stares at a chalkboard or a piece of paper. It's understandable; that stuff is way too high-level for TV. But that means they'll have to focus on other things to get their source of drama: paranoia over spies and secrets and MPs, racial stuff, social stuff with the wives.

Probably not for me.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I liked that better than the first one. Was totally caught off guard when Sid got shot in the head at the end because I figured he was going to be an important part of the show moving forward. It's also kind of unfortunate that they killed off their only minority character two episodes in.

The main character isn't a real person and it really feels like they're amping up all the sex and angst stuff in order to make history "exciting". It's too bad, really.

Amping up the sex? What show are we talking about here?

So I watched the first episode. I don't think I can really enjoy the show. They're not going to be able to explain breakthroughs or the drama of the science and engineering, beyond half-assed metaphors and ominous music while a scientist stares at a chalkboard or a piece of paper. It's understandable; that stuff is way too high-level for TV. But that means they'll have to focus on other things to get their source of drama: paranoia over spies and secrets and MPs, racial stuff, social stuff with the wives.

Probably not for me.

Same reason why I could never get into Studio 60.

Other than it being shit, I mean.

Having high brow sketches does not make up for not being able to execute the character's touted acting ability.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Probably not for me.

Seems like you kinda went in with skewed expectations - the show was never meant to be about the actual science and engineering behind the Manhattan Project. The main theme is secrecy and how it affects the lives/relationships/marriages of the people living/working in the Los Alamos encampment.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Probably not for me.
Yep, pretty much.

I liked that better than the first one. Was totally caught off guard when Sid got shot in the head at the end because I figured he was going to be an important part of the show moving forward. It's also kind of unfortunate that they killed off their only minority character two episodes in.

Amping up the sex? What show are we talking about here?
Well, PG-13 sex. I expect people to be having affairs and whatnot, because relationship angst is the easiest kind of drama and more relatable than "Maybe we shouldn't nuke people."

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Fortunately, that's been corrected and I now know that the show isn't for me.

9TQ9VpH.jpg

Well, PG-13 sex. I expect people to be having affairs and whatnot, because relationship angst is the easiest kind of drama and more relatable than "Maybe we shouldn't nuke people."

But affairs, alcoholism, race/class tensions, etc. were things that people actually dealt with in the real Los Alamos community of the 1940s. Plus, all of those things make for good TV so of course they're going to go there.

Also, we got some of that "Maybe we shouldn't nuke people" stuff this week with Charlie suggesting they build sonar (or something) instead of the bomb. The ethical dilemma of building an atomic bomb is one of the ripest themes to mine, so you can bet we'll get more of it in the future.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But affairs, alcoholism, race/class tensions, etc. were things that people actually dealt with in the real Los Alamos community of the 1940s. Plus, all of those things make for good TV so of course they're going to go there.

Also, we got some of that "Maybe we shouldn't nuke people" stuff this week with Charlie suggesting they build sonar (or something) instead of the bomb. The ethical dilemma of building an atomic bomb is one of the ripest themes to mine, so you can bet we'll get more of it in the future.
I'm sure there's lots of sexy time at the White House too, but other than the bad Josh/Donna and Sam fell on a prostitute stuff, they didn't really go there. I know that's more Sorkin than Schlamme, but I guess I expected more of a West Wing tone to the show than... well, typical TV drama.

I also don't deny that a story about the wives could be interesting. Frank Winter's family life could be an interesting look at what it is like being completely isolated from a member of the family. But did we need all this weird spy stuff thrown in?

I almost feel like if someone ever made an Alan Turing TV show, the producers wouldn't be able to resist showing him having sex with another man every week because it would make for good lurid TV. Never mind all the math/code breaking stuff. lol

iamblades

So far the first two episodes haven't really hit for me.

Part of it is that I just don't understand why they decided to completely fictionalize the entire story with non existent characters when the actual events that happened were plenty interesting.

It doesn't help that the one scene so far with an actual historic character (Oppenheimer) came off completely bizarre and uncharacteristic to me.

It makes it hard to buy into the reality of this show when we know so much about these events and the people who were really there, and the show just throws all that out the window.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
But did we need all this weird spy stuff thrown in?

When the show is set in a highly secluded community where many of the characters are trying to develop an atom bomb before their enemies can do the same, and the theme of the show is "secrecy", why not?

Also, because the spy stuff centered around Sid, and seeing as how he was killed off in the second episode, it seems as though that part of the story might've just been to illustrate the high stakes of the operation, rather than something we're going to get every week.

I just don't understand why they decided to completely fictionalize the entire story with non existent characters when the actual events that happened were plenty interesting.

Because it allows for more creative freedom?

Also, I take it you're not a fan of Boardwalk Empire either?

Cyan

Banned
Dude, it's ok if people don't like things you do like. You don't have to argue back as to why they're wrong.

Cyan

Banned
Show me where I've done this.

I'm just trying to have a discussion on this mighty fine discussion forum that we have here, is all.

I read your response to me as essentially saying "you're doing it wrong" when I thought I'd made a decent effort to explain why the show probably wasn't for me. And the response to the other guy as being a bit dismissive when he had also explained where he was coming from.

But I may have been overreacting here. You're right, this is a discussion forum and I don't mean to tell you not to discuss things.

In that spirit, I'll note that the theme of paranoia and secrecy certainly fits with how it went in real life. (minor historical spoilers I guess?) Oppenheimer in particular was constantly spied on and was hounded for years about Communist Party ties through his brother, and eventually had all his clearances pulled over the matter, although arguably that was more about his political enemies using it as a pretext than anything else. Of course, you could probably say that about a lot of the HUAC's activities.

Incidentally, Oppenheimer's brother, after being fired and essentially blacklisted over his Communist Party ties, would go on to found the Exploratorium in San Francisco.

iamblades

When the show is set in a highly secluded community where many of the characters are trying to develop an atom bomb before their enemies can do the same, and the theme of the show is "secrecy", why not?

Also, because the spy stuff centered around Sid, and seeing as how he was killed off in the second episode, it seems as though that part of the story might've just been to illustrate the high stakes of the operation, rather than something we're going to get every week.

Because it allows for more creative freedom?

Also, I take it you're not a fan of Boardwalk Empire either?

I haven't gotten around to Boardwalk yet, so I can't tell you.

I don't really buy the creative freedom bit either, when has Hollywood ever held back on adding things to spice up the story, even dealing with real historical characters?

It's also possible that that isn't even the main reason the show rings hollow to me overall, it's just one of the things that sticks out most notably to me. For whatever reason, I haven't been able to buy in that this is a real world with real people, and I assume part of that is because I know they aren't, and more importantly I know quite a bit about the people who were really there.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I read your response to me as essentially saying "you're doing it wrong" when I thought I'd made a decent effort to explain why the show probably wasn't for me. And the response to the other guy as being a bit dismissive when he had also explained where he was coming from.

That was kind of what I was saying, but I certainly didn't mean to come off as dismissive in my post. It's just that I sensed some disappointment coming from your end and I thought it might be helpful for you know that maybe you felt the way you did because you went in with skewed expectations.

Which sounds kind of shitty now that I've typed it out, but in the past I've had people tell me when I've done the same thing and I always appreciated that insight.

In that spirit, I'll note that the theme of paranoia and secrecy certainly fits with how it went in real life. (minor historical spoilers I guess?) Oppenheimer in particular was constantly spied on and was hounded for years about Communist Party ties through his brother, and eventually had all his clearances pulled over the matter, although arguably that was more about his political enemies using it as a pretext than anything else. Of course, you could probably say that about a lot of the HUAC's activities.

Incidentally, Oppenheimer's brother, after being fired and essentially blacklisted over his Communist Party ties, would go on to found the Exploratorium in San Francisco.

I doubt they'll cover any of that on the show, but it's nevertheless very interesting.

I don't really buy the creative freedom bit either, when has Hollywood ever held back on adding things to spice up the story, even dealing with real historical characters?

Eh, but I mean, if they're just going to add new stuff to spice up the story, they might as well just make up brand new characters and do the whole thing from scratch anyway, dontcha think?

I'm not familiar enough with the subject matter so this particular situation doesn't effect me one way or the other, but I have had problems in the past when films/tv did fictionalized stories using settings/people that I was familiar with, and in those instances, I almost always wished that they have gone the original route like this show is doing.

Telling highly fictionalized versions of true stories is kind of a strange practice, but I mean, that's par for the course for Hollywood.

For whatever reason, I haven't been able to buy in that this is a real world with real people, and I assume part of that is because I know they aren't, and more importantly I know quite a bit about the people who were really there.

Do you think you'll keep watching then?

firehawk12

Subete no aware

So maybe it's because I watched that "season preview" after episode 1, but it's clear that
Winter becomes a main spy suspect for West Wing's Toby to investigate.

I just wanted this to be more... From Earth to the Moon than Mad Men. It's like they don't trust the subject matter to be interesting enough on its own, so they had to add all this extra stuff to try to hit more demographics.

iamblades

So maybe it's because I watched that "season preview" after episode 1, but it's clear that

I just wanted this to be more... From Earth to the Moon than Mad Men. It's like they don't trust the subject matter to be interesting enough on its own, so they had to add all this extra stuff to try to hit more demographics.

This is exactly what I was getting at with my criticisms. Granted WGN is no HBO, hell they aren't even an AMC, but they took what could've been a legitimately exciting historical drama and turned it all soapy and melodramatic.

i'll still probably give it another couple episodes if only for the fact that there is absolutely nothing else on until the fall season starts in september.

Skinpop

wish the show would focus on the experiments and science. Whenever the social drama starts I just skip forward. Still like it decently though, enough to kill some time at least.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

That only lasted like 2 episodes tops. :D

I just wanted this to be more... From Earth to the Moon than Mad Men.

Mmm, I'm enjoying the show for what it is, but that could've been good too.

there is absolutely nothing else on until the fall season starts in september.

Rectify, Masters of Sex, The Knick, Outlander, The Honorable Woman, You're the Worst, Please Like Me.

wish the show would focus on the experiments and science. Whenever the social drama starts I just skip forward

So you don't watch the show then? ;3

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Where's Oppenheimer?

Or Bohr??

Or Rutherford???

perkyz

Rutherford already died during the war... But I think they will include von neumann in the future chapters as he was historically a proponent of the implosion type bomb.

I didn't even know about this show until I saw this thread, thanks! Going check it out this upcoming week. How's the music in the show?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hah, I suppose inasmuch as The Americans is about as an accurate representation of Soviet Espionage in America as Manhattan is about the Manhattan project.

avaya

If you want to really know about the Manhattan Project read Richard Rhode's book 'The Making of the Atomic Bomb', it is a fantastic read.

I just don't understand the need to embelish the story or create even more fictional arcs and characters since the story itself (outside of the science) and the goings on at Los Alamos were plenty interesting enough. Sadly the reason for this is probably the lack of research and ignorance of the writers/producers.

Awesome stuff. The development of the atomic bomb has always fascinated me. Like did they know exactly what they were making and exactly what it would do or was it sort of .... Ok Woops what did we just create here?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This is still trucking along nicely. It's not great but it is a pretty decent soap. Liza is my favorite character, though Viserys is a close second. He's so damn charismatic.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is still trucking along nicely. It's not great but it is a pretty decent soap. Liza is my favorite character, though Viserys is a close second. He's so damn charismatic.
Yeah, once you realize it's a soap and has nothing to do with the actual Manhattan project, it becomes a silly show that you follow because you like soapy stories.

I think the housewife discovering the Holocaust a day after having her first lesbian affair is perfect. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom