• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manhattan - The story of the first atomic bomb - Tuesdays on WGN America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Season two starts in 8 days. Oh man, way too many good shows on right now. But I'll make time...somehow.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
A couple reviews of the new season:

The Hollywood Reporter said:
Manhattan returns to WGN America on Tuesday (October 13) for its second season and it hasn't made one of those leaps that might cause critics to yell into the void that this is a classic drama that viewers are missing out on, but it still features a superb and growing ensemble cast, a textured commitment to period detail, the smooth execution of some of TV's best directors and the looming potential of atomic detonation to give it all some dramatic juice.

Mo Ryan said:
In the first four episodes of Manhattan’s second season, the atomic-age drama contains quite a bit of fruitful conflict and meaty character development, all of which amp up the show’s energy level and move it into much more compelling territory.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Season premiere tonight!

I'm so ready. I binge watched Season 1, so it'll feel different going week to week. But this is such an underrated show, I have to show my support.

I wonder if WGN is putting the episode on Hulu next day. Seems like they have the exclusive rights to it in the US, so I'd imagine so. Plus Hulu pushed the show really really hard in their ad campaigns for months. So it better be there haha

Weevilone

Crud. I just missed a $9.99 sale on season 1 via iTunes. I'm not sure how I missed this, as it looks pretty interesting. Going to have to pony up or wait for Netflix I guess.

Grizzlyjin

Good premiere. The daughter's exit was a bit awkward, but nothing drastically large is lost without her there.

Huge fan of how they gave us some glimpses of the future. And Meeks' storyline is heating up really quickly. I wonder how they're even going to get Frank back into the show

Col. Darrows already seems like a good addition to the cast. He already left an impression during his first scene.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The premiere was solid - about on par with the first season, but with the added hook of the flashforward, which was great because it revealed that the team will complete the atomic bomb by the end of the season. I wonder though - if the bomb gets completed this season, is there still a compelling premise left for season 3?

Grizzlyjin

The premiere was solid - about on par with the first season, but with the added hook of the flashforward, which was great because it revealed that the team will complete the atomic bomb by the end of the season. I wonder though - if the bomb gets completed this season, is there still a compelling premise left for season 3?

I was thinking about the same thing last night. So we know we'll probably get within 21 days of the bomb being dropped by the end of this season. I guess that gives them a little to work with next season, and maybe the fallout (pun intended) of what happens with these scientists after? Maybe post war? I'm interested to see where they go with it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I was thinking about the same thing last night. So we know we'll probably get within 21 days of the bomb being dropped by the end of this season. I guess that gives them a little to work with next season, and maybe the fallout (pun intended) of what happens with these scientists after? Maybe post war? I'm interested to see where they go with it.

I looked online (spoilers! :p) and it seems as though the Manhattan Project didn't immediately disband as soon as the bomb was completed. The project ended in
August of 1947, so two years + one month after the events of the flashforward. I have no idea what took place in that space, or what a TV season depicting those events would look like, but I have a hard time imagining it being anywhere near as compelling as the race to complete the bomb, with all the added paranoia and secrecy that that entailed.

large.gif

Damn you Hulu for failing to stream the second season. WGN got William Petersen for this season and it's killing me I can't watch it.

Grizzlyjin

I thought that was a strong episode, despite seeing Justin Kirk's doublecross coming from a mile away.

Same here. Things just got a little too grim, there had to be light at the end of the tunnel for Frank. At least now I can see a circumstance where he returns to The Hill. It was great to have a Frank focused episode since he was completely missing from the season premiere.

jerry113

Banned
Highly underappreciated show.

Frank's reduced screentime this season so far hasn't decreased my interest at all. The rest of the cast is just that good, especially Olivia Williams. What do you guys think about Einstein appearing?

mm04

I'm a big fan of the show. Strong first season and so far, so good in season 2. I'm still amazed that it's a WGN original.

Grizzlyjin

Just caught last week's episode. The blowjob scene with Meeks was funny, but I knew when that woman focused in on him that she was a spy. Although I was betting she worked for the US government not Communists. I was almost starting to feel some sympathy for him since we got his motivation for selling info, but then he went and used Fritz to get closer to the project. Scummy.

Glad Helen was able to get herself on the project, but I wonder what Oppenheimer is getting at. Did he respect her calling out Charlie or was it playing into his fetish with domineering women?

And fuck Abby, telling Kitty Oppenheimer she was listening to her husband's phone call was soooooo foolish. It was dumb because you're breaking the law, it's dumb because you barely know his wife, and it's dumb because you literally just had a dramatic domestic issue with your own husband happen outside. Usually Charlie is a dick, but he's right here. Stay out of other people's marriages. I hope Neve Campbell is sticking around. She's a great addition to the cast.

I miss Frank still. This show can have some solid episodes without him, but he's the most fleshed out character, even moreso than Charlie, I'd argue. Plus he's the wildcard. Everything is peaceful until Frank starts fucking with it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I was kinda hoping Frank's response at the end would be "I got better".

I think it's become a little too easy for Abby to do anything and everything with the phones. No one in that room noticed she was making a weird telemarketing call? Of course, every member of the cast is breaking rules left and right, so I suppose that's fair.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think the best part of this show is that it's so insane that the thing with Oppenheimer poisoning an apple is actually based on a real event but is so unbelievable because of everything else going on in the show.

Grizzlyjin

I think the best part of this show is that it's so insane that the thing with Oppenheimer poisoning an apple is actually based on a real event but is so unbelievable because of everything else going on in the show.

Holy cow. I need to actually read American Prometheus, I wonder if they talk about that at all in there.

Great episode, so glad to see Frank back on The Hill. And Abby was on some Breaking Bad level shit. She didn't intend to kill Oppenheimer's mistress, but she definitely wanted to get her out of the picture.

jerry113

Banned
"The Nazis have no bomb."

I knew this historical fact from the very start of the series. When they initially talked about how the Germans were in a close race with the Americans for inventing the nuke, I chalked that up to the writers trying to create drama by creating a reality where the Germans had a competent nuclear program.

Now this season they reveal that the military is lying to their scientists to motivate them to pursue the bomb faster, and like in real history, there is no nuclear arms race with the Germans.

Nicely played!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm still not sure what Gil Grissom's end game is. Just fucking with Winter because he resents the fact that Winter is the only one who can make this thing work, even if Winter knows it's all a sham. lol

jerry113

Banned
That was the most upbeat episode of this show I've seen lol. I guess this is their christmas episode.

But still with the same bittersweet sense of forboding that the entire series carries every week.

Grizzlyjin

I liked how they jumped ahead in time 6 months in Episode 5. Very unexpected, I thought they'd be stretching out the coming year for the entire season.

jerry113

Banned
I liked how they jumped ahead in time 6 months in Episode 5. Very unexpected, I thought they'd be stretching out the coming year for the entire season.

Yeah. Initially I expected the writers to attempt to stretch out the discovery and construction of the A-bomb for as long as possible, but it seems like they're going full speed ahead. What would season 3 have?

jerry113

Banned
Tickling the dragon's tail.

Based on an actual incident where a researcher at Los Alamos died due to exposure: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Slotin

The idea of radiation poisoning makes me feel ill just thinking about it. The idea of an invisible silent killer is just terrifying.

Jesus christ, this contraption was real too:

That ending was very powerful. "Ignorance is forgivable but what comes next is not."

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Tickling the dragon's tail.

Based on an actual incident where a researcher at Los Alamos died due to exposure: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Slotin

The idea of radiation poisoning makes me feel ill just thinking about it. The idea of an invisible silent killer is just terrifying.

After I finished the episode, I looked up that experiment and read about what happened - there were even before and after pictures of the dude who was exposed. Scary shit.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Meeks, you son of a bitch.

I thought they probably showed too much before with the flashforward, but I think that's even more true now that we've seen what Meeks has implicitly allowed to happen. It was one thing when he was just leaking some info, now he's threatening kids and letting his lover kill people. Knowing that he makes it to the test takes away a lot of suspense about him being caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom