• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 14: Snake... had a hard life

Status
Not open for further replies.
This next pick sure is righteous man…I dunno, check these guys out:
sbvrwy.png

Alph, Brittany, & Charlie

Notable Appearences
Pikmin 3 (2013)

Bio
Alph, Brittany, and Charlie are the three-man crew of the S.S. Drake. In an attempt to save their home planet of Koppai from starvation, the trio travels to PNF-404 in hopes of retrieving seeds to help cultivate their planet. Though they are eventually stranded on the planet, they team-up with the native Pikmin species to help accomplish their goals, much like Olimar before them.

Alph serves as the engineer of the ship, which his grandfather, fittingly named Drake, designed. He is very bright and positive in character, and greatly respects Captain Charlie.

Brittany acts as the botanist of the trio. She is strong-willed, but also gluttonous. Although she claims to distribute the juice evenly amongst her crew mates, she always provides a larger portion to herself than she does with the others.

Charlie serves as the captain of the crew. Charlie is revered as a hero on Koppai, with Alph even describing him as one of Koppai's greatest legends. Though, before you go thinking he’s an overly serious leader, keep in mind he also takes a rubber ducky with him on every mission for good luck.

What NeoGAF Says
“Way more endearing designs than Olimar.” -XtaLarge

What do you guys think? Should the amount of Pikmin characters in Smash be allowed to grow? Could this trio, armed with the oddly missing Rock Pikmin, have a chance to blossom amongst the other combatants? Share below!

Previous Newcomer Nominations Click on them to find out more!

Note: Unlike veterans, the newcomers being posted are not being revealed in order of most votes due to the amount of different choices; I'm just sharing the ones I find most interesting. However, for the last five newcomers, I will present those in order as the newcomers who got the most votes.

munchie64

What will Ridley fans do when he's confirmed?

I mean, after all, they just live for the confirmation, after he's finally confirmed they'll literally have nothing to look forward to for the rest of their lives. Pretty sad.
We will live for the tear of the losers who doubted us. You'll see!

rekameohs

Banned
I'm starting to wonder if I should cancel my preorder and download the game on launch night. Being able to boot up the game when ever I want would be nice, but I love boxes.
This is totes the type of game to go digital. That's where I'll be midnight on the 3rd, assuming that eShop doesn't end up going down!

the box is ugly

go digital

It just feels... weird to me to not have a box for Smash. But it would be so much easier and better to go digital to always have it with me. But I've always had a box for Smash, and Nintendo's store policies make me hesitant to buy a game I plan on playing for 5+ years. So far all my digital games haven't been anything like Smash (Mario Golf, Tomodachi Life, and Animal Crossing). The same reasoning I used to avoid digital Pokemon.

SuperSah

Banned
I'm starting to wonder if I should cancel my preorder and download the game on launch night. Being able to boot up the game when ever I want would be nice, but I love boxes.

I would, but my physical preorder is £13 less than the digital game and has a physical box.

Soo...

EDIT: This is NOT ugly:

image_321578_620.jpg

cmChimera

The only thing in the lead up to release that can be construed as a Ridley tease is the Smash Direct scene with his shadow. But the implication there was clearly that he was the Pyrosphere boss. Any other "tease" that people cite is nothing more than straw grasping.

emb

I think over the next couple of weeks, a lot of people hoping for certain characters need to take this GIF to heart.
Replace 'certain' with 'any' and yes. That.
We're going to experience the stages of grief from them firsthand. A lot of them were on teamfake and already showed us what it'll be like for them.

A lot of them are in the bargaining phase right now: "Maybe the roster isn't complete, maybe there's DLC"

They'll revert right back to the beginning once the game comes out.
That's what I said too! This is the bargaining stage to a T.

Neoxon

We're going to experience the stages of grief from them firsthand. A lot of them were on teamfake and already showed us what it'll be like for them.

A lot of them are in the bargaining phase right now: "Maybe the roster isn't complete, maybe there's DLC"

They'll revert right back to the beginning once the game comes out.
We actually have reason to believe that this isn't the final roster.

Spinluck

I would, but my physical preorder is £13 less than the digital game and has a physical box.

Soo...

image_321578_620.jpg

Not ugly but suck compared to the other Smash covers it's weak. Melee is the only one out of the bunch that looks fan made though. Wii U boxart sucks. Looking forward to the fanmade options we get.

Charlie is the best Pikmin character

Can you think of any other character with a rubber duck companion?

I'll also take this opportunity to share photos of the three
I completely agree. Olimar was ruined for me in Pikmin 3, Alph doesn't leave an impression, and Brittany is awful. Charlie's the best!

Berordn

It just feels... weird to me to not have a box for Smash. But it would be so much easier and better to go digital to always have it with me. But I've always had a box for Smash, and Nintendo's store policies make me hesitant to buy a game I plan on playing for 5+ years. So far all my digital games haven't been anything like Smash (Mario Golf, Tomodachi Life, and Animal Crossing). The same reasoning I used to avoid digital Pokemon.

I haven't had any issues with Nintendo's digital policies personally (still have all my purchases from 8 years ago), but I do understand.

That said Smash follows the same reasoning I used for Animal Crossing, personally. It's a game I'm always going to want to play or might just bump into somebody who might want to play a match long after I've started playing something else. It's a game that's good to always have on hand without switching carts.

image_321578_620.jpg

It's pretty ugly. The Wii U one's just as bad.

SuperSah

Banned
Not ugly but suck compared to the other Smash covers it's weak. Melee is the only one out of the bunch that looks fan made though. Wii U boxart sucks. Looking forward to the fanmade options we get.

I think Brawl's looks much worse in comparison.

3DS box looks as if they are all charging into a fight with serious expressions on their faces. Pretty cool.

Also, if my physical game is cheaper, I can surely wait a few more hours for it to arrive.

I'm +5 hours from US, which will only leave me behind 4 hours if my mailman delivers his usual time.

georly

Nah man, it's just grief and denial! Ignore all this other information we have, totally just grief!

If they weren't worried about it, then they'd just wait it out.

Wanting someone to be in, and then not having any confirmation of said character being in can cause anyone to worry. You start to over think things, rationalize it, etc.

I know, because i'm doing the same thing for ice climbers.

Ryce

Alph's definitely going to be an Olimar alt according to the original text leak with Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr. All of Olimar's animations (taunts included) make sense for Alph, so I think it's a fair compromise.

If they weren't worried about it, then they'd just wait it out.

Wanting someone to be in, and then not having any confirmation of said character being in can cause anyone to worry. You start to over think things, rationalize it, etc.

I know, because i'm doing the same thing for ice climbers.

I don't really think it's over thinking to see that every Smash Run enemy is tied to a playable series, which is pretty much the best evidence we have Ice Climbers are still in the game.

Read my post.

I don't say he's the fucking Riddler, just that he did toys with player expectations at times. He has a good sense of humor based of numerous PoTD entries, The Villager, and Chrome in the Robin/Lucina trailer. Actually, Smash in itself is also meant to be a pretty funny lighthearted game.

He even mentions the sometimes humorous fan request he gets for characters. Yeah he isn't Kojima, but he does like to have fun with the fan base at times.

I don't disagree with Sakurai being a fun guy with a good sense of humor. It's just that instances of him trying to actively mislead people are, from what I can gather, rare, and when they do occur, revealed immediately afterwards. He likes to surprise people with his team's creativity, not string them along. While he does enjoy defying fan expectations, I can't think of many times where he set those initial expectations himself. That's how I've seen things, at least.

Crocodile

I haven't played Pikmin 3. Are Brittnay and Charlie's bodytypes so out of whack in comparison to Olimar that only Alph would make sense as an alt? You'd think all three would be an option if there were any alts. I mean allegedly the Koopalings are alts for Bowser Jr. and they differ in body size & shape from Bowser Jr. just as much as the other Pikmin captains do from Olimar.

Ryce

I haven't played Pikmin 3. Are Brittnay and Charlie's bodytypes so out of whack in comparison to Olimar that only Alph would make sense as an alt? You'd think all three would be an option if there were any alts. I mean allegedly the Koopalings are alts for Bowser Jr. and they differ in body size & shape from Bowser Jr. just as much as the other Pikmin captains do from Olimar.
The Koopalings' bodies are hidden inside of the Clown Car, but Charlie is so much larger (and heavier?) than Olimar that he couldn't feasibly be made into an alt. The hit/hurt boxes wouldn't translate.

I keep misreading "Koopalings" as "Kremlings" and wondering what a bunch of anthropomorphic crocodiles are doing hiding in Bowser's vehicle

georly

I don't really think it's over thinking to see that every Smash Run enemy is tied to a playable series, which is pretty much the best evidence we have Ice Climbers are still in the game.

Right, you try to find evidence for why they're in. Right now, that lines up with what we believe.

In reality, sakurai can do WHATEVER he wants. He breaks precedent and patterns all the time. If he wants to put excite bike enemies in smash run without having a playable excite bike rep, he's totally free to do that.

While polar bears *POINT* to ice climbers being playable, it doesn't PROVE that they will be. Hell, sakurai could make an assist trophy an unlockable character if he wants. Just because he's never done it before doesn't mean he won't do it.

emb

Well, if we're going that route, we might as well go.

Posts after the initial version was posted, with the icons cut out for some reason:
ROB's shading is completely different to the style used by the official art.

Game & Watch's mouth is small. He's almost always depicted with a large open mouth.

It's not really worth putting more effort than that to debunk it.

Seriously, being this close to release date does draw out all the low-quality fakes doesn't it.

Without Ice Climbers, it isn't real. No series has an enemy in Smash Run without a playable character so far, except Ice Climbers and Rhythm Haven. Think about the most reliable leak we have thus far includes a RH character, the only logical conclusion is Ice Climbers will also be included.

yeah that's BS, Dr Mario returning and Icies/Wolf saying bye-bye is a giveaway

also that's Wario from the Brawl reveal

the fact that the creator deliberately obscured the one that is markedly similar to official art is pretty telling

Then after the full CSS screen:
You guys are getting trolled hard.

I'll take Fake for 1000 Alex.

Just as I thought. It's definitely fake.

The faker was obviously using the E3 select screen as his reference, so he had to improvise the icons for the remaining characters. Unfortunately, he didn't realize that certain characters were briefly shown in the 3DS trailer from the Nintendo Digital Event -- Dedede's icon has a red background (not yellow) and Greninja has a teal/green background (not blue).

Also, that character layout is just nonsensical.

Yeah, this is a total mess up... I would be happy to eat crow if it's true though.

So we have:
Duck Hunt being a stupid (and very unlikely) name.
Inconsistent UI: CPUs go from coloured panels to grey. Font changes.
ROB is the wrong colour.
Dr Mario randomly plonked in a random spot.

Sure there's more. Good renders, but silly mistakes.

So they are leaking photos from two different builds. So unlikely.

Roster placement is silly. Auto-fake.

Character order seems inconsistent at best. Details mismatch... my fake senses are tingling.

I didn't even notice DR Mario.

This fake as shit.

Hmm...now this makes it seem fake and you're in on it.

In fact I think Smashboards is behind this.

FAKE

#packitup

I want this to be real so hard, just to see how long BGBW denies it for
(lol)
This "leak":

dont_believe_you_anchorman.gif

Yep

this is it

this is the fake SmashGAF loses its shit over only to eat crow and do a complete 180, saying, "I knew it was fake all along, the colors were off!"

This is definitely a high volume of stuff. Someone put a lot of work into it. Shulk, Dog, and Bowser Jr. look good.

I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad that it's fake. I'm not a fan of that dog, but I never really thought Shulk could get in.

I'm writing down which people fall for this, so when they try pulling a 180 and going "I always knew it was fake!" I can call them out on it.

It's fake. If they have no problem leaking the pictures. Then leak gameplay video.

Duck Hunt Model look so good. Leaker, once people find out that you are fake, please post a full screen of duck hunt model because I would be glad to use it for my phone wallpaper. <3 Duck Hunt <3

nahhhhhhhhh

Fake because:

1.- Characters that are yet not confirmed officially, look really off, like ganondorf, wario, and G&W
2.- Yoshi is badly placed, he separates Rosalina and Bowser JR from the Mario franchise characters, and yoshi is not considerated to be a Mario franchise characters, since he has his own icon and franchise.
3.- Why put Dr mario, Dark Pit, Lucina at the bottom? Since toon link and falco are already on the right places where their franchises belong?
4.- Shulk should not be at the bottom, since he is no 3rd party, and does not belong to the "3rd party line", he should be placed at the upper line, doing that, the penultimate line would be completed and no blank spaces would make the roster ugly

Uh, the ESRB doesn't actually play the game. This leak is dead on arrival.

One time I'd actually take an avatar bet but it seems no one is going with the possibility it is real. ;)

Well night night. Not the best time for a leak to be posted.

Let's just go with fake and be pleasantly confused in the unlikely chance Smash ends up being an amateur hour effort.

Team Fake.

But it's a pretty good fake. Having new renders, especially several at once is enough to make it believable. We're close to launch so things could get all "it's happening" any time.

Still, because of Mr. Game and Watch and a bunch of other UI details people are mentioning, I don't think it's actually real.

I hope the game's actual Jigglypuff render is that cute.

looks totally fake to me

Thank goodness it's fake.

Yeaaah, this is fake. Picture inconsistencies and the ESRB tale. :lol

also no mewtwo

It's fake doe, but not because of the characters it's because of the inconsistencies pointed out earlier.

Pittoo gets a character slot = absolute fake, 100%

I actually would have totally believed it if it weren't for that nonsense.

Most of these aren't actually all that embarrassing or shameful. Just funny reading back through the thread knowing what we know now.

If I posted a quote from you then sorry; it's just meant to be in good fun, not actually mocking you in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom