• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm pretty sure the people selling Shadows of Mordor for $25 are buying the game from other regions and then selling it with a few dollars on top. It doesn't sound like SoM has any region protection so it SHOULD be fine, but honestly after hearing that Valve can and will remove games from people's libraries if they find out the game is from the wrong region, I'd rather not take the risk.

This isn't something that's worth worrying about. It's only ever happened twice: in 2007 (Orange Box) and 2009 (Modern Warfare 2, but seemingly only those who played the MP as I still have my copy), plus only retail keys were revoked, not gift copies of the game. Valve has never revoked gifts that were purchased legitimately -- the gift system would be near pointless if publishers could decide willy-nilly to revoke internationally-sourced copies.

Still chasing after Arkham Asylum vanilla?

I e-mailed Rocksteady about it a day ago. My only option after this is to ask WB once more and hope for the best.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
People on this page and the page before were talking about how a couple people (who have good rep) in the GAF Buy/Sell/Trade thread are selling SoM for $25.

The sellers themselves look 100% legit and by all accounts seem to be trustworthy, but they're selling games from regions other than the US which is why they can set the price that low.
Damn that's mindblowing.

derExperte

I'm pretty sure the people selling Shadows of Mordor for $25 are buying the game from other regions and then selling it with a few dollars on top. It doesn't sound like SoM has any region protection so it SHOULD be fine, but honestly after hearing that Valve can and will remove games from people's libraries if they find out the game is from the wrong region, I'd rather not take the risk.

That's not why they remove games, they remove them when it turns out keys were aquired by dubious means and the publisher complains. If you directly trade for a gift nothing will ever happen.

Also if these subs are not region-specific, like it appears to be the case with Mordor, Valve doesn't know or care where it came from.

It's never too early to be witty.

image.php

r3n4ud

People on this page and the page before were talking about how a couple people (who have good rep) in the GAF Buy/Sell/Trade thread are selling SoM for $25.

The sellers themselves look 100% legit and by all accounts seem to be trustworthy, but they're selling games from regions other than the US which is why they can set the price that low.
Yes, I'm quite aware. Three-quarters of my games are from Russia. If Valve intends to remove games bought outside of one's territory, then Jase's game count will drop to just over 100 lol

Alavard

Always cracks me up when I see a thread with 'who's going all digital on x platform?' as the premise. If convience of not getting up off your arse is worth an extra £10-20 a pop as well as no resell valvue then you're a more bonkers person than me. I do wonder how many peeps who want to go the digital route also were against the DRM policy Microsoft were going to use?

I'm probably 50/50 when it comes to digital/physical for my PS3, and the convenience isn't so much about not wanting to get off my ass. I get really tired of going out to buy a physical copy only to discover the store has no copies. I despise going store to store to look for a recent release.

I often buy physical when I see a good deal on Amazon or I happen to be out at a store and see a good deal there.

Parsnip

So Mordor scores are good eh. I'm glad to have been wrong about that one.

I also didn't realize that the dudes character model seems to have a little bit of Troy Baker in him now.

The sellers themselves look 100% legit and by all accounts seem to be trustworthy, but they're selling games from regions other than the US which is why they can set the price that low. Honestly I'd rather wait for a holiday sale or a GMG sale than to take a gamble on a game that isn't from my region.

yes.

It's pretty common practice.

Damn that's mindblowing.

/dead

completed the 1st story in cho dengeky stryker , this was my 1st visual novel and i really liked the story , it took me about 8 hours to complete it and there is also some other stories i think so is definitely worth it

BiggNife

yes.

It's pretty common practice.

I know it's pretty common, but it looked like a few people weren't aware. *shrug*

This isn't something that's worth worrying about. It's only ever happened twice: in 2007 (Orange Box) and 2009 (Modern Warfare 2, but seemingly only those who played the MP as I still have my copy), plus only retail keys were revoked, not gift copies of the game. Valve has never revoked gifts that were purchased legitimately -- the gift system would be near pointless if publishers could decide willy-nilly to revoke internationally-sourced copies.

Fair enough. It's still something I'd rather not do but to each his own.

BibiMaghoo

Always cracks me up when I see a thread with 'who's going all digital on x platform?' as the premise. If convience of not getting up off your arse is worth an extra £10-20 a pop as well as no resell valvue then you're a more bonkers person than me. I do wonder how many peeps who want to go the digital route also were against the DRM policy Microsoft were going to use?

Just to chime in on this, but every console failure I have ever had - it's double figures - has been a drive failure. Every single time.

With a digital library, this is a non-issue, and even now I have a PS3 with a failed drive just to use as a PS+ box with my digital games. Drive failure is a real problem for me. The prices of some digital console games are horrendous, and so they don't get purchased until they are cheaper, or second hand. It's certainly not about the time it takes to pop in a disc on my part.

Some new Steam-news from Ghostlight Games.

Regarding Way of the Samurai 4:
Moving on to our other upcoming Steam projects now and I’m pleased to say that the PC conversion of Way of the Samurai 4 is coming along really well. We’ve recently started to implement PC controls although these will probably undergo some refinement during testing. Also the required GUI changes (keyboard/mouse controls) are being added for the PC version of the game. With the release growing ever nearer, the PR machine (that’s me) has already started pestering the team for marketing materials for the game and our guys are busily producing some great artwork which you can expect to see in the very near future :).

Regarding Agarest 2:

Of course we’ve also been hard at work on Agarest: Generations Of War 2 which still has quite a way to go but we’re making steady progress. The latest playable that’s currently in test in our office is far more stable than previous builds and from what I’ve seen, the game is looking very good on the PC. This latest instalment in the Agarest saga is quite a departure from the first two as it features a revamped battle system, improved resolution for the character art, movies and environments as well as a totally new Agarest universe to explore. Fans of the first two instalments are going to love this!

http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/elminage-gothic-discount-ends-today

Seems Way of the Samurai 4 could be released in the near future.

Jawmuncher

Does Agarest 2 still have the grind enemies to craft weapons going on? If so I'll have to use a trainer to get over that since I still enjoy the story.

Lomax

Given how quickly WB tends to discount its games, I wouldn't be surprised to see Shadow of Morder in the winter sale at 33% off or possibly even more, and by next summer certainly 50-66% percent off.
Yes, I'm trying to convince myself not to buy it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sometimes I don't know why I read my Enhanced Steam inbox / reddit / twitter / etc. Here are a few choice clips from this morning:

I refuse to use it (Enhanced Steam) because it doesn't mark all owned or wishlisted games correctly anymore. Valve's new update shows them properly.
With no configuration whatsoever, it was the only useful feature of Enhanced Steam for me.
I'm using Opera 12 browser. Latest version of Enhanced Steam for my browser was released on Feb. 27, 2014. The dev doesn't want to support my browser anymore, and there is no problem with that. Valve's site redesign still works fine with my browser.
And no, I'm not going to switch to different browser for now.

a) It's not that I don't want to support Opera 12 any more, it's just literally impossible for me to upload a new version on Opera's portal site and b) if the only thing you found useful about Enhanced Steam is/was the highlighting, then it's pretty easy to simply stop using it without being a shit about it.

Please release Enchanted Steam on Internet Explorer. IE is a great browser nowadays and needs support.

I don't even know where to begin with this one.

I notice a regional price force issues with this update and i had to uninstall this add-on, let say you are overseas and you usually buy from your original country store using the browser. without the add-on or with the add-on till 6.6.1 you can do that with no problems. but with this update 6.7 it will change the currency of the game when you try to add them in your cart.
I test buying without the add-on and i had no issue. but with the add-on i couldn't, it switch my browser to my current region store.

There seems to be this ubiquity that Enhanced Steam has in a lot of people's mind, that it interacts with Steam in such a way that something like this were even possible. And he's the only person that's experienced this issue. Most likely what happened is that Steam had a hiccup in his purchase process (we all know this happens from time to time) and when he disabled ES and tried again - it didn't hiccup. Seems like an isolated incident to me. The source code is 100% available, and anyone that knows what they're looking at can see that Enhanced Steam doesn't alter your cookie data by itself arbitrarily.

------

Sorry for the wall of text and rants, it's just frustrating. Some days are better than others, but this is just a slice of what I get to read every day. I think I'm going to take this weekend off from working on Enhanced Steam and focus on Final Fantasy IV and Hyrule Warriors ;)

Given how quickly WB tends to discount its games, I wouldn't be surprised to see Shadows of Morder in the winter sale at 33% off or possibly even more, and by next summer certainly 50-66% percent off.
Yes, I'm trying to convince myself not to buy it.

Considering how fast the Lego and Batman (and, well Lego Batman) games dropped to $5, I believe you are absolutely on the money.

The question is: Would you rather pay ~$25 now and play it immediately, or are you willing to wait it out and get it for less later down the line? I feel like the current grey market prices are really good if you want to get the game on day one.

Personally, i'm using this hype to finally play War in the North coop with my brother. Should do the trick until Mordor drops into impulse purchase prices.

Volcynika

Sometimes I don't know why I read my Enhanced Steam inbox / reddit / twitter / etc. Here are a few choice clips from this morning:

a) It's not that I don't want to support Opera 12 any more, it's just literally impossible for me to upload a new version on Opera's portal site and b) if the only thing you found useful about Enhanced Steam is/was the highlighting, then it's pretty easy to simply stop using it without being a shit about it.

I don't even know where to begin with this one.

There seems to be this ubiquity that Enhanced Steam has in a lot of people's mind, that it interacts with Steam in such a way that something like this were even possible. And he's the only person that's experienced this issue. Most likely what happened is that Steam had a hiccup in his purchase process (we all know this happens from time to time) and when he disabled ES and tried again - it didn't hiccup. Seems like an isolated incident to me. The source code is 100% available, and anyone that knows what they're looking at can see that Enhanced Steam doesn't alter your cookie data by itself arbitrarily.

------

Sorry for the wall of text and rants, it's just frustrating. Some days are better than others, but this is just a slice of what I get to read every day. I think I'm going to take this weekend off from working on Enhanced Steam and focus on Final Fantasy IV and Hyrule Warriors ;)

~Enchanted Steam~

Does Agarest 2 still have the grind enemies to craft weapons going on? If so I'll have to use a trainer to get over that since I still enjoy the story.

I am not sure. At least judging from the gameplay it looks far better than Generations of War and Zero. Seems you finally have a world map like in those FF PSX games.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

If it helps, here's a positive comment from me. I've never had any issues whatsoever with Enhanced Steam, quite the opposite. In using it I've had nothing but a seamlessly integrated extension which has been massively helpful to me, and with every update the experience is improved. I recommend it to everyone I know who uses Steam, and I appreciate all the work you put into it, as I'm sure most of GAF does.

I know you're not fishing for compliments, but I doubt people are as eager to email you when Enhanced Steam "just works" so I thought I'd try and balance things out!

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Lily Looking Through -- MB-3EEC4E3D7A9800E6 - Taken by JustLynx

MUnited83

For you.
Seems like PC version of AC:Rogue is almost confirmed
This thing i found today on Uplay

AWnMCba.png

Nice. I'm more hyped for this than I am for Unity. Don't get me wrong, I love the changes they made for Unity and I think that overall it will be a better game, but I freaking love the naval aspect of Black Flag.

Annubis

HOW DARE THIS OPEN SOURCE FREE ADD-ON DOESN'T WORK !

They're coming out with 2 Asscreed games to end this year and the only asscreed game i want to play is Mordor.

The leap from AC1->AC2 was massive, and it's just been kinda coasting since then. I hope this year is the year that the series finally burns out, if only to get Ubisoft to develop something completely different.

Coreda

a) It's not that I don't want to support Opera 12 any more, it's just literally impossible for me to upload a new version on Opera's portal site.

Interesting, did they stop Presto uploads very recently? As I know a dev who updated an older addon about two months ago, hopefully this doesn't affect them.

I've never had any issues that I can remember using ES, all-around worthwhile addon and support, being a GAFer is the cherry on top ;)

Knurek

Thing is, Opera 12 is still the best browser available on PC.
Seriously, I'm keeping Chrome on my HDD just for Steam+Enhanced browsing, rest of my daily net browsing is done in O12.
(No, that wasn't my email there, I totally understand you wanting to keep a single codebase).

Sendou

Shelved Heavy Bullets. I don't think it was bad just very average. Since I didn't beat the final boss I don't consider myself qualified to write a proper review but let me at least offer some thoughts on the game. So I played the game for 4.6 hours. I made it to the final boss twice. For those who aren't aware Heavy Bullets is a FPS roguelike that consists of 8 levels.

There were some things I really liked with this game. First of all I find the kind of FPS gameplay this game offers very compelling. It requires surgical shots to the weak spots of the enemies. You can't just spray and pray since you only have 6 bullets at start and extra ones are scarce. You have to retrieve the bullets after you have shot them. Also the artstyle resonated with me well. Great color palette.

Unfortunately there were even more things I disliked. The biggest issue I have with this game is the difficulty curve. I feel the final boss is way too hard while rest of the game is too easy. The final boss isn't hard in a satisfying way but instead it's more like "here's thousand deadly things flying at you a million miles per hour because screw you". I wasn't such a big fan of the enemy design in general either. Most of the enemies are push-overs. You won't have any troubles dealing with them no matter what. There are hard enemies too. Snakes lie waiting in grass. Flying turrets go through some crazy patterns while hunting you. Explosion turrets sends exploding stuff at your way within seconds you see it. The thing is: I didn't find any of them challenging in a way that makes sense or is fun. Each of them has different issues but that's the one thing they have in common.

Lack of content in this game is a serious issue. When it comes to items there's not much to choose from. Even worse there's only few really useful items. Some items then have limited use while most items are next to useless. There's just no element of surprise present in this game. This also diminishes strategy since you just wait for that one super great item and ignore others. Room lay-outs are also started to feel way too familiar way too soon.

There's also some minor issues like enemies getting stuck on corners and illogical item behavior (bombs). One one of the bigger issues is the almost complete lack of music. I just can't comprehend why this is the case. There's some stuff there and there and I do like the little they have. It's just that this kind of game requires some catchy background music. If you have close to none then it affects the whole game negatively. Not the "ambient background music" only kind of game in my opinion. I wish the music would have been present strongly and on the forefront.

MUnited83

For you.
Thing is, Opera 12 is still the best browser available on PC.
Seriously, I'm keeping Chrome on my HDD just for Steam+Enhanced browsing, rest of my daily net browsing is done in O12.
(No, that wasn't my email there, I totally understand you wanting to keep a single codebase).

Opera 12 master race!

Lomax

Considering how fast the Lego and Batman (and, well Lego Batman) games dropped to $5, I believe you are absolutely on the money.

The question is: Would you rather pay ~$25 now and play it immediately, or are you willing to wait it out and get it for less later down the line? I feel like the current grey market prices are really good if you want to get the game on day one.

Personally, i'm using this hype to finally play War in the North coop with my brother. Should do the trick until Mordor drops into impulse purchase prices.

Well, if I already had my 970, I'd probably jump on it now, but since it's probably going to be a couple months on that anyway, I think I can wait and be able to play it on higher settings. The other thing is any gray market purchase has to come completely out of my pocket, whereas an on sale purchase down the line I could possibly get with GMG credit or card money. But yeah, that $25 price is pretty tempting and my girlfriend keeps seeing commercials for it, but I managed to convince her it wouldn't run on our current setup (it probably would, just not very well).

I don't know how you do it, and I don't know why you do it, but I'm glad that you do it.

Grief.exe

Just got RE5 and Evil Within with the 25% off voucher off of GMG.

I see RE5/DR2/OTR as investment pieces right now. Buying them to play next year. I already have DR2, but I am waiting to see a fair price on OTR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom