• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 4 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

An-Det

Since my first movie was leaving HBO Go today I started a day early with My Little Eye. Five strangers take up an offer to stay in a remote house for six months for a million dollars, and if anyone leaves they all lose. Meanwhile, there are cameras all over the house, since the five are told that they will be streamed 24/7.
Turns out they were lured into a snuff film and the people in charge want to make sure the film is worth it.

None of the acting was that good, but the setup was pretty solid and watching things go down was worth it. To the five it was a reality show, so seeing that go so wrong was neat given how fake actual reality shows are. The
safe room
scene was particularly memorable, since that's the moment they realize just how bad it all is.

Finally got my list sorted with some 90s movies that I haven't seen and some classics I haven't seen for at least 5 years. Starting today since it's October 1st in New Zealand.
  1. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
  2. In the Mouth of Madness
  3. I Know What You Did Last Summer
  4. It
  5. Stir of Echoes
  6. The People Under The Stairs (1991)
  7. Cube
  8. Sinister
  9. Re-Animator (1985)
  10. Pontypool
  11. Session 9
  12. Silent Hill 1/2
  13. Friday 13th/Friday 13th Part 2
  14. The Mist (2007)
  15. Event Horizon (1997)
  16. Halloween H20
  17. Ravenous
  18. Cabin in the Woods
  19. Fright Night (1985)
  20. May (2002)
  21. Ghostwatch (1992)
  22. Idle Hands(1999)
  23. The Hollow (2004)
  24. Jeepers Creepers (2001)/Jeepers Creepers 2
  25. Paranormal Activity
  26. Nightmare on Elm Street (1985)
  27. The Changeling
  28. Night of the Demons (1998)
  29. Scream/Deliver Us From Evil(2014)
  30. Halloween(1978)/Halloween II/Halloween III
  31. Trick R Treat/Hocus Pocus/HalloweenTown

Also going to start watching the Simpsons Halloween special episodes one a day when it gets to the fifth.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Finished "the Mist". Now onto "they live"

Great choices so far.

I'm starting with House of the Devil. Since I'm working the night shift, conditions are sort of okay for horror. It's very bright here in the lobby, but it's a bit creepy being in a hotel when everyone is sleeping.

Cuphead

Banned
Gunna watch You're Next for the first time!

Right now!

EDIT:
That was so great!

I didn't know what to expect going into this and it was fun!

-Sharni Vinson is my hero
-The movie was tight and didn't linger on any sequence too long.
-The important info was given casually, not rubbed in the viewers face.
-Fun deaths in the house, I love a close quarters survival story.
-The killers were very real, the motive was one we see occasionally hear about through history.

-The ending couldn't have been much better imo.

4 cups out of 5

Ridley327

WEEK ONE (Sept 28-Oct 4): FEARFUL FORESTS

i1GF1ELMnr0nu.jpg

Reading up on the production history on Ravenous, it becomes obvious that this was a film that escaped more than it released. 20th Century Fox burned through two directors before settling on Antonia Bird at the suggestion of star Robert Carlyle, and they still seemed intent on making life as difficult for the production as possible. Advertising was predictably up against a wall with a film like this, leading to confusing ads that showed a lot of the film without establishing much coherence, which led to the film bombing, even on an already modest budget. It didn't get particularly great reviews when it originally released, so it didn't even have the immediate luxury of being a potential misunderstood gem.

Watching the film for the first time, I wasn't surprised to read about any of what I just described in the last paragraph. There's always been a prevailing feeling that the major film studios exist so that films like Ravenous aren't given the time of day beyond being a cheap pickup at an independent film festival. Major studios make films like Saw or Paranormal Activity, with easy-to-digest concepts that make for great trailers that show you the movie that you will be getting, even in the green band ads. Ravenous is not a film that you can get down to two minutes, and even the good parts that would normally make for a friendly trailer require someone to watch the film itself to make any sense of it all. In short, it's the kind of film that exists for one of two reasons: either as an elaborate tax write-off scam that didn't backfire for a change, or because the producers recognized that it was a film needed to be made, box office returns be damned. Whatever the case may be, Ravenous exists, and for that, I am immensely grateful.

It's hard to really encapsulate my thoughts on the film in a way that makes any sense whatsoever, and I have to imagine that's the case for a lot of people who watch it for the first time and manage to buy whatever the hell it is that it's selling. Ravenous takes on a somewhat cosmic quality by being a film that's filled to the brim with disparate elements and somehow manages to bring them all together in a satisfactory manner. How does a grimy tale of survival in pre-Civil War-era California manage to be so damn funny? How does a film that goes where you expect it to story-wise manage to get there in half the runtime, leaving the second half a complete surprise? How does a film this loaded with homoerotic subtext find a way to not be blatant about it? Why does the soundtrack by Michael Nyman and Damon Albarn sound like what would happen if Goblin dropped acid and started including banjos in their compositions, and why does it sound like the only soundtrack that this film could have possibly have had? Why is David Arquette actually funny and not annoying? All these things, and a whole lot more, ensure that Ravenous defies easy categorization in the best possible way.

Is the film a masterpiece? Even after the gushing I've done, I would feel safe in saying no, if only because of the film's final act feeling a bit too improvised enough to get a little formless in a way that has the production issues creep in more heavily than they did in the preceding portions, leading to some strong imagery that sometimes doesn't have a whole lot to do with the rest of the film and a plot twist that feels a little left field even for a film that has no concept of where the right field might be located at. It feels appropriate that it doesn't know exactly where it should end up at all the same, because it's not the kind of film that benefits from something more tidy. It starts inspired and has to end that way, even if it doesn't provide the level of satisfaction that you're used to. A masterful Ravenous just wouldn't be Ravenous at all.

I often try to find easy-to-explain elements of a film I liked, since I find it easier to understand why I like something when I'm able to break it down to elements that can be quantified. I could talk all day about how great the cast is, how the direction is on point throughout, how it manages to successfully blend humor and horror in ways that other films that attempt both fail at, and all that kind of stuff. I can't for Ravenous, because it's not that kind of film. At the risk of making a bad cannibal joke, it has to be swallowed whole and be allowed to digest as one big helping. It tastes really funny, and it doesn't exactly go down smooth, but for me, I wouldn't have it any other way.

This is one of the best low budget horror movies I have ever seen. The homage to horror movies of the 70's and 80's is busting out the seems. The practical effects and costumes are so well done. Due to serious budget restraints the audio is a mess at times and the actors are pretty much terrible to say the least but the movie still shines. I highly recommend it.

Trailer for those interested.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I don't start at midnight, but damn this absolutely snuck up on me. Looking through lists is daunting. When I first started this yearly thing I had already seen a massive chunk of all the "must see" titles, I started to struggle a bit to find new movies to watch. The 2nd year was even harder, and last year I had to dig deep for quality movies to watch. Looking over lists I've seen all of this haha.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Pretty happy I went with House of the Devil for my first movie of the month. It was right up my alley. While I wouldn't say it was all that scary, it was a refreshingly slow burn.

House of the Devil could almost completely pass for a horror film of the 70s. In the beginning, I actually had to pause it and verify that it was made in 2009. Ti West did a very convincing job of making it look like it takes place in the 70s or very early 80s. It goes beyond just showing the characters using a rotary phone or a clunky walkman; the look and feel of the entire thing feels very true to the era. The shots used, the dialogue, the plot. If you had told me House of the Devil had released in 1978, I would've believed you (and I would've been very impressed with some of the effects).

Steamlord

#1 / #2 - V/H/S and V/H/S/2

Since my list is too long, I decided to start early and watched V/H/S 1 and 2. I figured I'd get those out of the way early since I'd heard very mixed things about them.

I can't say I was too impressed. The quality of each individual short aside, their biggest failing is how thoroughly they botch being "found footage" films. For all the emphasis they place on the idea that the footage on these tapes is real, they don't even try to actually convince the audience of that. The sound editing is so thick it's practically a soundtrack. There are so many cameras that just happen to be around capturing every angle of every scene that it might as well just be a normal film. I'll be the first to admit that nearly every found footage horror film has that problem to some degree, but it was really bad in these. It seems to me that the sole reason to use the found footage style is to create an illusion of reality and boost immersion, but neither V/H/S film even tried to do that. And the whole concept of using the VHS medium seems pointlessly contrived. At least make the shorts somewhat retro to fit that vibe. Why the hell is there a Skype video call on a VHS tape?

That said, a couple of the shorts were decent, ignoring the specific subgenre failings. Most of them at least didn't offend me with their awfulness even if they didn't grab my interest either...most. The prosthetic eye one was pretty damn bad, mostly because the idea actually had some potential that it didn't even come close to realizing. Safe Haven was probably the best in terms of tension and payoff, even if the ending was kind of campy. I'm ok with that.

I dunno. The creators of these films just seem so edgy and full of themselves. As if to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt their disregard for subtlety and immersion, they end both movies with super loud edgy rock songs over the credits along with montages of all the goriest scenes from the film. Yeah, we get it, your movie is super messed up or whatever. Next time stop trying so hard to gross me out, which - believe me - is hard to do, and instead try to actually get me interested in the stories you're telling.

@JBourne: The House of the Devil is an excellent movie, and unfortunately I've yet to see another work by Ti West that comes close to that quality.

October 1st - Behind The Mask - The Rise of Leslie Vernon

Wow what a movie to start with! This is probably one of the most clever horror movies I've seen in a while.

In a world where all the great movie serial killers are real from Freddy Kruger to Jason Voorhees one man believes he is the heir apparent to serial killer fame and decides to invite a documentary crew along for the ride. From meticulously planning how each scenario can play out, from jump scaring the heroine at the start to deciding how to move the bodies around during the big kill scene, to staying in shape in order to appear almost super human Leslie Vernon shows a documentary crew how much work serial killers put in to their big shows. The film splices together shaky cam documentary footage showing how Leslie Vernon prepares and classic cinema footage of the characters getting slashed to create something unique. I don't want to ruin the surprise but this almost out "Cabininthewoodses" Cabin in the Woods. I know this is early but I highly recommend everyone give this one a go if you haven't seen it and if you are still looking for a movie to fill out your list, this one is great.

Rating: 5/5

So far I've got 2 movies and 2 shorts....this is going to be to easy for me. I'm going to destroy 31 days of horror just like how a 40 year old alcoholic would destroy a high school kegger.

I'll post what I watched tomorrow

ElTopo

Banned
Mystics in Bali: not as funny as I was expecting it to be. The pacing is pretty bad and we have a while to wait until we get to see the flying severed head. Once we get to that point the film finally gets interesting but those scenes are few and far between.

The director's later film Lady Terminator is a better "bad" film. Never a dull moment and incredibly OTT.

Mystics in Bali: not as funny as I was expecting it to be. The pacing is pretty bad and we have a while to wait until we get to see the flying severed head. Once we get to that point the film finally gets interesting but those scenes are few and far between.

The director's later film Lady Terminator is a better "bad" film. Never a dull moment and incredibly OTT.

Its always rad to see that someones watching some of the Mondo Macabro stuff

At last...

Oct 1st

Film 1 - White Zombie (YouTube)

We may uncover sins that even the devil would be ashamed of...

I think White Zombie is the oldest film I have ever watched from start to finish. I did not expect to like it. I did not expect it to be even vaguely horrific. I came to it this afternoon fully expecting to have a laugh at the terrible acting, the dated direction and the general silliness of the whole endeavour. It was first on my list because I like the mandatory film idea, but I wanted to get this one out of the way.

I was not counting on Bela Lugosi being so damn awesome, however. What a great performance. Every moment he was on screen was absolutely compelling. Even those full on close ups of his zombie master eyes somehow managed to stay sinister, despite threatening at any moment to spill over into hammy nonsense.

I was right about what the acting would be like apart from him though. Blimey. The romantic leads were terrible, especially the bloke, and the preacher fellow kept fluffing his lines. The film did manage to be quite eerie in places though, mainly thanks to some pretty creepy sound design in places.

Verdict: Much more fun than I expected it to be. Will definitely be checking out some more Bela Lugosi films.

gabbo

At last...

Oct 1st

White Zombie (YouTube)
...<snip>...
Verdict: Much more fun than I expected it to be. Will definitely be checking out some more Bela Lugosi films.

Check out the earlier films in his career. The later films veer off into Ed Wood quality.

impact

Banned
9/30 - V/H/S and V/H/S/2

Since my list is too long, I decided to start early and watched V/H/S 1 and 2. I figured I'd get those out of the way early since I'd heard very mixed things about them.

I can't say I was too impressed. The quality of each individual short aside, their biggest failing is how thoroughly they botch being "found footage" films. For all the emphasis they place on the idea that the footage on these tapes is real, they don't even try to actually convince the audience of that. The sound editing is so thick it's practically a soundtrack. There are so many cameras that just happen to be around capturing every angle of every scene that it might as well just be a normal film. I'll be the first to admit that nearly every found footage horror film has that problem to some degree, but it was really bad in these. It seems to me that the sole reason to use the found footage style is to create an illusion of reality and boost immersion, but neither V/H/S film even tried to do that. And the whole concept of using the VHS medium seems pointlessly contrived. At least make the shorts somewhat retro to fit that vibe. Why the hell is there a Skype video call on a VHS tape?

That said, a couple of the shorts were decent, ignoring the specific subgenre failings. Most of them at least didn't offend me with their awfulness even if they didn't grab my interest either...most. The prosthetic eye one was pretty damn bad, mostly because the idea actually had some potential that it didn't even come close to realizing. Safe Haven was probably the best in terms of tension and payoff, even if the ending was kind of campy. I'm ok with that.

I dunno. The creators of these films just seem so edgy and full of themselves. As if to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt their disregard for subtlety and immersion, they end both movies with super loud edgy rock songs over the credits along with montages of all the goriest scenes from the film. Yeah, we get it, your movie is super messed up or whatever. Next time stop trying so hard to gross me out, which - believe me - is hard to do, and instead try to actually get me interested in the stories you're telling.

@JBourne: The House of the Devil is an excellent movie, and unfortunately I've yet to see another work by Ti West that comes close to that quality.

Honestly I have no idea how VHS got so popular. There's probably 20-30 minutes of footage worth watching between both movies :/ Rest is gutter trash.

I'm not officially competing because I'll be moving midway through the month but I'll still be watching a horror almost every night. Tried to watch Ravenous and just couldn't because I hate that fuck Guy Pearce. So I watched Excision instead and was pleasantly surprised. Not really a horror, but interesting enough to keep watching. That ending.

Also watched Resolution based on a review from my buddy Ridley and was interested the whole way through. Really different movie, but really good nonetheless.

Kayo-kun

#1 White Zombie

white_zombie_04.jpg

Just watched it, was not really my cup of tea. As I feared, it was a slow movie. Still the bits where Lugosi is in are interesting. He is such a charismatic actor.

Since this was a first time watch, I am happy that I ended up watching the original zombie movie.

9/30 - V/H/S and V/H/S/2

Lol. I actually dig them...the only short I remember having multiple cameras is Safe Haven. Lol why is there a Skype video on a VHS......simply because that's something the horror vhs community would release.

Cuphead

Banned
Lol. I actually dig them...the only short I remember having multiple cameras is Safe Haven. Lol why is there a Skype video on a VHS......simply because that's something the horror vhs community would release.

I dig them as well but in my opinion none of the shorts live up to the first two in the first film.

After those two the rest felt pretty bland and unoriginal.

I just watched REC, holy cow that was great!

Now onto REC 2 and Kill List!

Oreoleo

I watched The Conjuring late last night to kick off the month and it was fucking terrifying :(

I went to bed and had nightmares. Can't remember the last time a movie has done that to me.

Moofers

I watched The Conjuring late last night to kick off the month and it was fucking terrifying :(

I went to bed and had nightmares. Can't remember the last time a movie has done that to me.

Damn, really? I am thinking about watching that and now I'm not so sure. My tolerance for really scary shit seems to be getting lower as I get into my 30's here.

I'm taking my 14-yr old sister in law to see Annabelle this weekend though. Not sure what to think now! LOL

The Conjuring is one of best mainstream horror flicks out there. I had a blast the first time I watched it

I'm running a bit behind today so I haven't gotten to my movie yet, but in about an hour I'm going to make myself a big plate of nachos topped with chicken fajita meat and enjoy me some White Zombie.

obin_gam

Number one finished just now!

#1. The Exorcist.
cNaaN7N.jpg

Shorter actual exorcism than I remembered. But that doesnt matter, what I love about this movie is the implication of the theme paedophilia in regards to Burkes role, how and why he died.

Brick

Does anybody know where I can see the WNUF Halloween Special? I can't seem to find either a physical copy or online streaming option anywhere for that movie...

1. White Zombie.

I must say Bela Lugosi is a great actor, and knows how to make his face work. If not for him, I wouldn't care for this movie at all. Just a damsel in distress involving voodoo zombie magic. Having them work on a sugar mill makes me think that if corporations could control the dead, that would be the new outsourcing.

1. Aaah! Zombies!!
Looks like this is also known as Wasting Away on IMDB

Watched this on crackle while working. I thought it was funny and a neat concept (through the eyes of the undead). It could have benefitted from being a bit shorter but a nice start to the month.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
1. The Rocky Horror Picture Show

I enjoyed this very much. I have never seen it before, though I was familiar with parts of it. There songs were very catchy, though I think they tended to sound a bit alike. Tim Curry sold that shit like there's no tomorrow, and Susan Sarandon being in this came as a surprise. No wonder it became a cult classic, wish there were midnight showings for it where I lived.

2. White Zombie

Really a movie to watch for Bela Lugosi only. Other than that it was very much by the numbers oldie horror.

kunonabi

I think this year I'll join in the fun. Kind of stuck with hulu, netflix, and my collection so nothing too extravagant on my list

Planned films:

Suspiria
Inferno
Suicide Club
Sleepy Hollow
Ravenous
White Zombie
Satan's Little Helper
Re-Animator
Rigor Mortis
Hellraiser
House on Haunted Hill
The Legend of Hell House
Candyman
The House of the Devil
Spellbound
Intruder
Colour From the Dark
Elvira Mistress of the Dark
Jigoku
The Living Skeleton
Knock
Dementia 13
The Children
Kuroneko
Dead Friend
The Prowler
Mad Doctor of Blood Island
Antarctic Journal
The Coffin
The Brood
The Blob

I watch movies right before bed so I'll do write-ups pretty late. Halloween will be the exception.

ElTopo

Banned
Aftershocks: Eli Roth fans might like this even though he didn't direct it but it has a very similar style to it plus he did co-write and produce it as well as obviously star in it. Pretty interesting earthquake horror film with splatter and some comedy. I'd say it's worth checking out.

Starting today I will select films from the Criterion Collection. The first film I watched was not technically a horror movie but it is considered a suspenseful thriller.

1. The Night of the Hunter (1955)

t7HgzkH.jpg

Great film filled with great performances. Robert Mitchum is a creepy and sinister in a subtle way.

Oreoleo

Damn, really? I am thinking about watching that and now I'm not so sure. My tolerance for really scary shit seems to be getting lower as I get into my 30's here.

I'm taking my 14-yr old sister in law to see Annabelle this weekend though. Not sure what to think now! LOL

It scared me the way I imagine past generations were scared of The Exorcist. So many horror movies (or maybe more specifically, the Big Bad in horror movies) tend to follow tropes to an extent that you know what the "rules" of the movie are and what to expect as it progresses, but The Conjuring seemed to defy any of my expectations of what could happen on screen. That's not to say that the movie necessarily did anything new, but I felt the bag of tricks it employed was very broad.

I dig them as well but in my opinion none of the shorts live up to the first two in the first film.

After those two the rest felt pretty bland and unoriginal.

I just watched REC, holy cow that was great!

Now onto REC 2 and Kill List!

I think the best segment of the VHS movies BY FAR is "Safe Haven", the Indonesian one co-directed by Timo Tjahjanto (who also coincidentally directed by far the best segement in ABC's of Death) and Gareth Evans (The Raid 1 & 2). I love how it just builds up into relentless madness.

REC is indeed amazing, and I'm jealous that you still have REC 2 and Kill List ahead of you because those are also fucking fantastic.

Divius

DYHh6Zh.jpg

#01 - White Zombie (1932)
A very tame start to my 31 Days of Horror 2014, as White Zombie is not very horrific, but I expected little else from this typical atmospheric little horror from the 30s. It's quite campy and silly, and while it does some interesting things thematically, also rather simple in its plot and direction. Most of the cast performances are not that great and the cinematography is a mixed bag as well. Luckily it is atmospheric and it has Bela Lugosi who manages to save this movie from total mediocrity, as he steals every scene he is in and although he balances on the edge of overdoing it, his character is responsible for the most thrills. As someone else already said. he's very charismatic and always fun to watch. 6/10

YaGaMi

Can't do the whole month but this thread has reminded me to watch In The Mouth of Madness which I haven't seen since the 90's and I can't remember much.

J-Roderton

1 of 31

Rosemary's Baby

Kind of a slow burn. It wasn't really scary but when everything starts to fall into place it gets pretty messed up. It's also the first I've seen by Polanski. Not to bad of a flick to start off the month.

"Hail Satan!"

3.5/5

Divius

Starting off with The Sacrament. No idea what the hell it is. Thoughts? About to start
Had high hopes for that new Ti West after I liked his previous two movies but unfortunately The Sacrament was a major disappointment to me. I hope you do enjoy it though.

Top Bottom