• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Corpekata

Banned
Last time I checked, uplay doesn't support preloading lol. Didn't do it for watch dogs.

Wow that's sad. Ubi, if you want to move this stuff ahead you should at least do basic things like making it so I don't have to wait hours more to play it on your own store than on someone else's.

Spazznid

Not sure if this has been posted, you can buy XB1 Assassin Creed (Unity + Black Flag) digital code for less than $45 from ebay. A lot of people that are buying AC XB1 bundle are selling the codes.

Ebay link

Know I am undecided If I should buy it on XB1 or PS4, given those who played on PS4 are reporting of clipping and pop-ins. This may be worse on XB1, I guess?

I have a spare code for the Xbone if you want to purchase it. I extended an invitation to someone else, so you'll have to wait until I confirm if they want it first, but if not, send me a PM if you're interested.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
My buddy just gifted this to me on Steam. So Tuesday is Master Chief Collection, AC:Unity, and Valkryia Chronicles(Different buddy gifted this to me saying I have to play it) on Steam. Holy shit so many games. Fucking excellent.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Fake. Forcing a pre-load isn't possible because it's dependent on an app-level release state change, plus it's not possible for publishers to limit the ability to pre-load to certain regions*, which is why everybody else has reported the "app not released" error.

* The ReleaseStateOverride flag may allow for this, but I've never seen it done before and even if it were the case here, the change would be reflected in the registry.

Nerd.

Who knows Steam better than anyone else I know. What's the count up to now?

dreamfall

Revisiting AC2 (like I do right before every AC release) to get properly hyped!

Bring the magic!

Still sad about the lack of a day/night cycle and the PvP modes. Ready for new ground.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Nerd.

Who knows Steam better than anyone else I know. What's the count up to now?

3507, but who's counting. ;)

Wait, so this (ant other Ubi games) is back on steam?

Yeah, they were removed worldwide in error.

Yes it was mistake. Only UK version should be removed but Valve removed games in all regions. Next day everything was fine.

Not that I can provide supporting evidence, but I guarantee you it wasn't Valve. Just as how the games not being available in the UK has nothing to do with Valve despite Ubi's hot air implying the contrary.

Edit:
Revisiting AC2 (like I do right before every AC release) to get properly hyped!

Bring the magic!

Still sad about the lack of a day/night cycle and the PvP modes. Ready for new ground.

I'd planned on finishing LibHD before Unity, but alas it didn't happen. I realise the game is a product of the limited hardware it was originally envisioned for, however even with that in mind I can't entirely forgive just how bland a game it is.

dex3108

I guarantee you it wasn't Valve. Just as how the games not being available in the UK has nothing to do with Valve despite Ubi's hot air implying the contrary.

Then Ubi guy/girl didn't read memo to the end XD He/Her saw remove games from Steam part but not in UK only part XD

JaseC

Then Ubi guy/girl didn't read memo to the end XD He/Her saw remove games from Steam part but not in UK only part XD

Yeah, I think what happened is that the games were made available on the UK store by an employee who wasn't aware that they're supposed to be unavailable and another employee (or perhaps the same one) later mistakenly yanked the games from Steam entirely instead of just from the UK store. Additionally, since Ubi had just a few days earlier claimed to be in talks with Valve regarding the availability of the games on Steam UK, it was decided to keep them off for a day to make it seem as though there was an ongoing problem somehow related to the aforementioned discussions.

dreamfall

I'd planned on finishing LibHD before Unity, but alas it didn't happen. I realise the game is a product of the limited hardware it was originally envisioned for, however even with that in mind I can't entirely forgive just how bland a game it is.

You know, I played it over the summer on PC after nearly giving up on Vita. And at times, it really did feel like a chore. The outfit notoriety system felt unique to me, but eeek I really disliked The Lady outfit (both in concept and in navigation). By restricting traversal to force blending, flirting and parasol attacks, I was just not feeling that aspect of it at all.

I really enjoyed New Orleans, and the Bayou was fun to explore- but it sure showed it's handheld roots. I think Aveline was an awesome Assassin- her rapport with Gérald was so awkward, and kind of rad. I've got a real love/hate thing for the smaller American cities in AC games.

JaseC

You know, I played it over the summer on PC after nearly giving up on Vita. And at times, it really did feel like a chore. The outfit notoriety system felt unique to me, but eeek I really disliked The Lady outfit (both in concept and in navigation). By restricting traversal to force blending, flirting and parasol attacks, I was just not feeling that aspect of it at all.

I really enjoyed New Orleans, and the Bayou was fun to explore- but it sure showed it's handheld roots. I think Aveline was an awesome Assassin- her rapport with Gérald was so awkward, and kind of rad. I've got a love/hate thing for the smaller American cities in AC games.

The outfit system could have been rather neat if Ubi had designed the missions around all three and left the question of "Which one would work best here?" up to the player. Speaking of Aveline herself, though, what irks me is that I'd held off on the Aveline DLC for Black Flag in anticipation of first completing LibHD, but now I don't know if I'll ever get around to it, haha. If only the game hadn't been added to GameSave Manager too early! :( I was about 2/3rds through the game before I lost my save.

Philippo

Shoot, OP should have gone with Rés Miserables.

Still interested in the game, i'll buy it in a few months, enough time for Ubi to patch the game and fix the already known problems.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm a few hours in (PS4).

The game looks pretty good, I notice the 900p, not initially but the more you play you can sense its not as sharp as other games that are full HD but its still a good looking game. Better than Black Flags at 1080p. Crowd pop in is pretty distracting though. IQ is good indoors and on objects relatively close but buildings in the semi/far distance have shimmering and aliasing issues.

The parkour is much better this time around, dare I say Arno is more Drake like which is a good thing. It still feels like Ass Creed but they've reduced the unintentional climbing quite a bit and quick descending is a godsend. I just like the movement in the game and its already more enjoyable than past Ass Creeds because of this. The animations are more lifelike it feels like there are simply a lot more contextual animations. Arno does hover when using L2 + X but its excusable because it makes the game control better.

I also love running into peoples homes when available instead of climbing all the way to the top of a building, cutting right through makes things more organic and less of a drag.

Performance wise, the game is pretty stable 30fps a good majority of the time but it will drop in certain instances. No screen tearing whatsoever and the Synchronizations are smooth despite the incredible draw distance. With that said, there is a specific mission in Sainte Chapelle where the game is Skyrim bad, as if there is a memory dump or something. Single digits and near freezing bad. This happened in another mission briefly, indoors as well. I noticed a glitch where it showed my character still outside on top of a building (transitioning from a cutscene to gameplay) and that might be why the framerate tanks at times. Seems a bit buggy.

Anyway I've only played a few missions so far, the stealth is better and the story is better told than usual, Arno is a cool cat and quite likable. The murder Mystery missions, well the one I did anyway is a cool addition. You have to gather clues, the more you gather the better chance of accusing the right person but you are free to accuse the wrong person at any time. If you get it right on the first go you get better gear.

As mentioned I'm only a few hours in but after dreading the game based on it being Ubisoft, its pretty fun so far.

Sounds good. But I need to know how are the assassinations so far? AC 1 and 2 good or Black Flag's level of laziness?

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
Well done OP I had a good chuckle at that title.
Big fan of AC so I'm really excited for this, although I have to wait until Friday here :(

phaze

Will the very nice OT get updated when those minimum HW specs inevitably prove as complete bullshit ?

Really hope this will turn out to be true.

Glorious thread title. I'm interested in the game, Paris in particular looks great but I need to learn more about the mission design, combat and story to figure out when I'm going to get it.

Skux

ibnetQAtPsNkUf.jpg

This looks like an offscreen cam shot :(

Thoraxes

I got this for free with my Xbox One.

What time do digital pre-orders unlock on Microsoft consoles? Is it as good with timing Nintendo's is? Could I come home from work at 1:30AM Central Standard time and start playing right away?

JaseC

Is it possible to pre-load the game (Steam) for those of you in the US yet?

No. Valve still has to change release states manually -- which is why publishers can't unlock games on weekends -- and it's currently 1:30am over in Bellevue, so in all likelihood the switch won't be flipped for another few hours.

I'm a few hours in (PS4).

The game looks pretty good, I notice the 900p, not initially but the more you play you can sense its not as sharp as other games that are full HD but its still a good looking game. Better than Black Flags at 1080p. Crowd pop in is pretty distracting though. IQ is good indoors and on objects relatively close but buildings in the semi/far distance have shimmering and aliasing issues.

The parkour is much better this time around, dare I say Arno is more Drake like which is a good thing. It still feels like Ass Creed but they've reduced the unintentional climbing quite a bit and quick descending is a godsend. I just like the movement in the game and its already more enjoyable than past Ass Creeds because of this. The animations are more lifelike it feels like there are simply a lot more contextual animations. Arno does hover when using L2 + X but its excusable because it makes the game control better.

I also love running into peoples homes when available instead of climbing all the way to the top of a building, cutting right through makes things more organic and less of a drag.

Performance wise, the game is pretty stable 30fps a good majority of the time but it will drop in certain instances. No screen tearing whatsoever and the Synchronizations are smooth despite the incredible draw distance. With that said, there is a specific mission in Sainte Chapelle where the game is Skyrim bad, as if there is a memory dump or something. Single digits and near freezing bad. This happened in another mission briefly, indoors as well. I noticed a glitch where it showed my character still outside on top of a building (transitioning from a cutscene to gameplay) and that might be why the framerate tanks at times. Seems a bit buggy.

Anyway I've only played a few missions so far, the stealth is better and the story is better told than usual, Arno is a cool cat and quite likable. The murder Mystery missions, well the one I did anyway is a cool addition. You have to gather clues, the more you gather the better chance of accusing the right person but you are free to accuse the wrong person at any time. If you get it right on the first go you get better gear.

As mentioned I'm only a few hours in but after dreading the game based on it being Ubisoft, its pretty fun so far.

The frame rate issue in the Chapelle is definitely a bug. I saw a twitch streamer showing off the Xbone version and it did the exact same thing in one specific area whilst hanging near a window. From what I've seen so far it looks quite unpolished but still fun. Parkour looks great.

d00d3n

No. Valve still has to change release states manually -- which is why publishers can't unlock games on weekends -- and it's currently 1:30am over in Bellevue, so in all likelihood the switch won't be flipped for another few hours.

Ok, thanks. Still plenty of time to download the game before release though (although maybe not for me if I have to do it through VPN or wait another day ...)

kubus

What irked me the most of what I've seen played so far is that all NPCs seem to be Japanese magical girls: once they pass a certain "distance to player character" threshold they will magically change into new costumes.

Sitting on a roof and just watching the crowd below was hilarious. Women would suddenly *poof* into extravagant dresses while they were just wearing a simple coat before. Men changed into entirely different costumes altogether, with other colors than they were wearing before, making the change completely obvious. I don't know the exact technical terms used for these things and there probably is one but it's obvious that the game loads more detailed models when NPCs come closer. Which is nothing new - I've seen that happen in other games. But Unity simply makes it way too obvious because the transition between "simple clothes" to "detailed clothes" is too big.

It's very jarring when you're running through the streets and see these things pop up like that all around you. Completely takes you out of the game.

Very curious how reviews will turn out.

prudislav

Wat - Tell me more. Something like that exists?
yep but not sure if its bigfixed enough - didnt get to the DLC yet, but works fine on my Uplay copy , but not sure if it can mess up something as the version i have can also unlock Deluxe ed. content which is kinda grey area and might mess up something on Uplay

Truant

I'm watching some story recaps of the previous games, and I found a 4 hour AC3 video where someone edited all the custcenes and important story moments into a movie. I stopped playing AC3 because of constant crashes and bad performance on PC, but I have to say I'm pretty into the story. Connor seems like a great character to me. Untraditional, yes, but interesting. Could be that the editor chose to portray him differently, but the video seems to be pretty much every cutscene.

Really recommended.

MayMay

Banned
yep but not sure if its bigfixed enough - didnt get to the DLC yet, but works fine on my Uplay copy , but not sure if it can mess up something as the version i have can also unlock Deluxe ed. content which is kinda grey area and might mess up something on Uplay

Mind sending me a PM with a link or something, if you have one? That's very interesting, indeed.

Top Bottom