• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition PC performance thread

ref

How much performance increase can we expect from a Game Ready driver?

First world problem, I know, but I hope my sli 980s can hold at least 60 fps at 1440p maxed with some aa

UnrealEck

First world problem, I know, but I hope my sli 980s can hold at least 60 fps at 1440p maxed with some aa

lol if the game utilises hardware well, I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot more than 60 FPS even at 1440p.

Something hilarious like the Dragon Age 2 driver -

1doufa.png

I kid ;)

So wait, maybe I'm reading these wrong, but am I seeing that the game is so CPU-bound that even though I have an i7 3770k and a 970, I'll still be struggling to hit 30fps?

So wait, maybe I'm reading these wrong, but am I seeing that the game is so CPU-bound that even though I have an i7 3770k and a 970, I'll still be struggling to hit 30fps?

I can't imagine that to be the case. What are you reading?

Edit: Awww ok I see the post now. Hmmmm... If the game actually doesn't scale well across cores I'd be very very disappointed because BF4 does that quite well. It's backwards to now have a single very heavy thread.

I have the same specs but with my 3770k @ 4.2, and I'll be furious if I can't at least hit 30 with decent level settings.

To hit 60fps with my i7 3770K@4.5ghz, 3GB780 and 8GB RAM@2133mhz I'll need to keep AA to a minimum (display will be 1080p) and maybe AO off? I'd rather keep the textures at their highest setting. I guess I'll need to play around with the options when I get the chance.

I can't imagine that to be the case. What are you reading?

Edit: Awww ok I see the post now. Hmmmm... If the game actually doesn't scale well across cores I'd be very very disappointed because BF4 does that quite well. It's backwards to now have a single very heavy thread.

It'd also be kind of lolzy considering all the backlash against AC: U as that runs at a smooth 30 FPS at 1440p (HBAO+, Soft Shadows turned on) with my 970 and a 2500k.

It'd also be kind of lolzy considering all the backlash against AC: U as that runs at a smooth 30 FPS at 1440p (HBAO+, Soft Shadows turned on) with my 970 and a 2500k.

Considering that it linked to resolution and AA, I can see an optimized graphics driver making a significant difference, so I'm not too worried yet.

Seanspeed

Banned
still not sure if i should get it on pc or ps4 how well will a 3570k at 4.2 and a 7870 run this at 1080?
Quite likely that you'll be matching the PS4 at least. Original benchmark in the OP shows a 270X(a 7870 in other words) doing 28fps average but that's with 4xMSAA and everything maxed. Its also using a better CPU than yours, but its not drastically better. Cut that down to 2xMSAA(or preferably use a different sort of AA solution) and you should definitely be above 30fps average.

Seanspeed

Banned
i7 @3.5 ghz
660ti 2gb VRAM
8GB RAM

Anybody have an idea of what I can expect?
A tick less than the 760 in the graph in the OP at 4xMSAA and max settings. Obviously turning those down or off will get you much better results.

Also depends slightly on which i7 specifically. Take another couple ticks off if its an older i7 like a 920.

I would imagine you could hit 30fps average comfortable.

Dubz

A tick less than the 760 in the graph in the OP at 4xMSAA and max settings. Obviously turning those down or off will get you much better results.

Also depends slightly on which i7 specifically. Take another couple ticks off if its an older i7 like a 920.

I would imagine you could hit 30fps average comfortable.
I forgot to say what type of i7....it's a 4770k

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Hoping my rMBP can run this in Windows at 1440x900 w/ medium settings. Doubting it, though...

If I could lock 30fps w/ med/low settings, I'd be a happy camper.

Only if you're trying to flip on 4xMSAA, which can really decimate the framerate. You'll probably be able to keep it at 2x (which still looks good, esp. when combined with the post-process AA) and have a very smooth experience. You certainly won't be CPU limited, that's for sure.

To hit 60fps with my i7 3770K@4.5ghz, 3GB780 and 8GB RAM@2133mhz I'll need to keep AA to a minimum (display will be 1080p) and maybe AO off? I'd rather keep the textures at their highest setting. I guess I'll need to play around with the options when I get the chance.
As a tip: keep the textures at their default setting (should be ultra for your card). Trying out "Fade-touched" texture quality with that card may result in some bad stuttering, for very little difference. If I recall correctly, the same texture assets are shown on high, ultra, and fade-touched, the only thing that changes is how large the memory caches of the textures are, so you'll see variances in amount of texture pop-in, but on ultra, I don't think I ever notice it.

If sub-60 framerates are going to be a commonplace, does the game at least offer an in-game 30fps lock?
Not officially, but the game re-uses a lot of functionality from other Frostbite games (i.e. BF4) so a lot of this should be viable.

Xamdou

What kind performance can I get from the following specs:

I7-4770 quad core, OC EVGA 2gb 770gtx, 16gb 1888mhz ram

MotherFan

Only if you're trying to flip on 4xMSAA, which can really decimate the framerate. You'll probably be able to keep it at 2x (which still looks good, esp. when combined with the post-process AA) and have a very smooth experience. You certainly won't be CPU limited, that's for sure.

As a tip: keep the textures at their default setting (should be ultra for your card). Trying out "Fade-touched" texture quality with that card may result in some bad stuttering, for very little difference. If I recall correctly, the same texture assets are shown on high, ultra, and fade-touched, the only thing that changes is how large the memory caches of the textures are, so you'll see variances in amount of texture pop-in, but on ultra, I don't think I ever notice it.

Not officially, but the game re-uses a lot of functionality from other Frostbite games (i.e. BF4) so a lot of this should be viable.

So it looks like triple buffering can be enabled by that config file. I wish they would put it in menus more instead of making us dig.

Vamphuntr

I have an i7-4790k, GTX 970 and 16Gb of ram @2133 MHz. Should be able to play everything maxed out at 30FPS. Hopefully the optimized drivers raises the FPS a bit or else I'll tweak the setting to get 60 FPS.

EdLin

Neo Member
OK, I know I already asked if "it would run" in this thread and was answered probably-so, but want to know which it'll run significantly better on PS4 or on my PC, or if performance and graphics will be nearly the same.

I have an i3 4130, and a "superclocked" (I got it with a deal else I would have gotten the regular one and overclocked it myself) EVGA GTX 750 Ti. I'm also getting an SSD drive Tuesday for my OS, I don't think there'll be enough room to put the game on it though. My HD in my computer is 7200RPM, in my PS4 it's the stock drive. I also don't have a controller for my PC at present, my Logitech controller I was using broke, but will be getting one in the future.

Also, there's a VIP deal at Greenman Gaming and I'll be able to save a little money on it for PC, but that's not a huge factor if it's better for me to play on PS4...

Gumbie

Anyone know what the flames of the inquisition weapons included with the deluxe stuff are like? Are they quickly replaced by more powerful stuff? Do you get them at the beginning?

Yeah if that early performance analysis remains correct and there is one big heavy CPU thread that requires more than a 4.5 Ghz Haswell core to process adequately at 1080p with MSAA using DX11, then Mantle would probably shine. I guess I'm just surprised that the engine that allows BF4 to scale exceptionally well across CPU cores using DX11 is now so crippled by single threaded performance. BF4 isn't an open world game, that's for sure, but it's certainly not a corridor shooter either.

AnnTiPa

Has anyone seen any 4K benchmarks? Shadow of Mordor is playable (30fps with dips) at high settings on a GTX 970 so I'm sort of hoping the same with DA.

AU Tiger

Nice. My 970 should be here tomorrow. Just in time. 4770k am smile.

.... if you look at any material in the environment you will notice that every single surface reacts to light exactly the same way. none of the materials look like anything that actually exists in real life.

Is this something that is more or less only being utilized by UE4? I know that Epic has been hyping this feature in the tech demos for the new engine.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
30fps lock on cutscenes is ridiculous and super jarring. The game runs great otherwise, except for this:

anyone getting these graphic bugs? happens in game and in cutscenes aswell, just this weird flickering and artifacting

30fps lock on cutscenes is ridiculous and super jarring. The game runs great otherwise, except for this:

anyone getting these graphic bugs? happens in game and in cutscenes aswell, just this weird flickering and artifacting

Is it some kind of tessellation bug?

What are your system specs out of curiosity? And what kind of performance are you seeing outside of the cutscenes? I see the fps counter there is in the 80s.

Top Bottom