• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGM79

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-ad785kxbjabox

This is the CPU I want. It's an FM2+.
It looks like I can get it cheaper than on Newegg. So thank you again everyone!

Edit: I kind of also want to get this one, too.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA30R2AW1855

Multitasking. Maybe some things like that.

I was kind of hoping to use it to help me play more MMORPGs at the same like. Like maybe Tera.

I know it wouldn't be the best, but I like collecting computers n' things.

I don't know about collecting, but considering value and price-to-performance the A10-6800K isn't worth it. For Newegg's price of $180 it's disgustingly overpriced, it's available elsewhere for $120. Considering the performance, It's only slightly better than the A8-6600K, and that APU costs only $90, half of the Newegg price.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but you can pick up an Intel i5 4460 quad core for $180 and it will be much stronger than APU systems for gaming and multi-tasking.

Just spec'ed a new PC, placed my order so going to get it in the New Year.

Intel Core i7 5820K
Gigabyte X99-UD3 Intel X99 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM
GeForce GTX 970 4GB
1TB HDD
Samsung 840 256GB SSD

Here's my version of your build. Saved $206 on the motherboard, RAM, graphics card, case, and power supply.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.00 @ CPL Online)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($170.00 @ CPL Online)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($189.00 @ PLE Computers)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($61.00 @ Centre Com)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($479.00 @ CPL Online)
Case: Cooler Master N300 ATX Mid Tower Case ($48.00 @ IJK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750B BRONZE 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($98.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $1483.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-28 20:35 EST+1100

For gaming at 1440p, a single GTX 970 could do, but I'd recommend SLI GTX 970 over the GTX 980. The slight performance increase of the GTX 980 is not worth the difference. Now that your build costs only $1483 AUD, you may want to add a second EVGA GTX 970 for $479.

That Kingston RAM is low enough to fit under the Noctua NH-D14. It seems to only protrude a few millimetres above the bare circuit board. Noctua's website has helpful compatibility lists - the Noctua NH-D14, Gigabyte Z97X-SLI, and Kingston HyperX Fury RAM are all compatible, according to these two references:

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_gen&products_id=34&lng=en#LGA1150_Gigabyte
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_ram_gen&products_id=34&lng=en#DDR3_Kingston

And according to the official Kingston HyperX Fury datasheet, the RAM modules measure 33mm high, while the Noctua NH-D14 appears to allow about 40mm of clearance under the fan.

http://media.kingston.com/pdfs/HyperX_FURY_EN.pdf
www.noctua.at/pdf/infosheets/noctua_nh_d14_datasheet_en.pdf

Thanks for the input and clearing up my RAM question. As for SLI, I should have mentioned that I am not interested in an SLI system because of the potential lack of effective SLI profiles and supposed microstutter issues.

The new RAM, power supply and motherboard you chose seem fine, but I'm not sure about the GPU and case. Would the EVGA card be as quiet as my current 670 Windforce? The main reason I chose the 970 Windforce is because I was so impressed with how silent my current card is. The concern I have about the case is that it's the same size as the one I have now (CoolerMaster Elite 334U) and I had a really hard time installing my Noctua cooler in that thing. The Noctua site said it was compatible (and it was, I guess) but it just barely fit. Ideally I would like to get a roomier case just so I don't have to worry about that again.

One last thing to do with the actual purchasing of the parts. I would prefer to buy all my parts from the same shop so I can minimise any staggered shipping or other problems that may crop up from dealing with online stores I've never used before. However, if any other Australian users can vouch for the places that PC Part Picker uses then I would be a bit more comfortable buying the parts from multiple stores. I've only used MSY (local) and PC Case Gear in the past.

Idba

Guys, which one of these should i get? All are within my budget.

Sapphire R9 280 3GB

MSI GTX 760 2GB Twin Frozr

Asus GTX 760 2GB

EVGA GTX 760 2GB

Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB WINDFORCE

LilJoka

Hello GAF PC thread, it's been a while since I've been in here! In the new year I am going to build myself a brand new boss-hog PC from the ground up and I'll need some input as to what I should get. My first PC build a few years back was very limited due to budget but this time there's really no limit, so I'd like to go as powerful as I can within reason.

I'll run through the OP's pre-requisite list first:
Your Current Specs: i5-2320 (no K), GTX 670 2GB, 8GB 1333Mhz RAM -- This PC has been very good to me but I would like to get something I can overclock and better utilise my 1440p monitor.
Budget: $1500-2000 and I'm in Australia.
Main Use: Gaming 5, general usage 4, and some video encoding (not editing).
Monitor Resolution: 1440p. I got this monitor not too long ago so I will continue to use it with the new PC.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: This monitor can go higher than 60hz, so I might be interested in doing that in the future. For the most part I don't think I'll be going higher than 60hz. As long as the frame rate is above 30 I'm fine, but a solid 60 is always preferred.
Looking to reuse any parts?: I am reusing my CPU cooler (Noctua NH-D14), monitor (QNIX QX2710), keyboard and mouse (Logitech K200 and SteelSeries Rival), my internal DVD and Blu-ray drives (Samsung SH-222BB and LG BH16NS40), and I have a Windows 8 key.
When will you build?: It would be nice if it could all be done during January.
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, I am interested in overclocking.

I basically went with the 'enthusiast' build in the OP and am wondering if I should go for a 980 over the 970. The price increase is kind of crazy ($1700 to $2000) but would it be worth it at 1440p? Also, is this RAM truly low profile? I can't seem to find any 16GB kits that don't have some kind of heat sink on them.

If you have a Z series motherboard, I would get a 3770k 2nd hand, an SSD, and GTX 970. Can upgrade ram if you like to some 8gb 1600/1866 kit.

Otherwise
Corsair 350D
Gigabyte Z97 Gaming mATX
i5 4670k/i7 4790k
MSI GTX 970 Gamer (quieter than Windforce)
8/16Gb 1600/1866 Ram
1/2TB Toshiba ACA
Crucial MX100 128/256Gb
Seasonic G550 PSU

Just have a question regarding the Corsair Air 540 case and the hot swap drive bays in the main chamber.

Would a Samsung 840 EVO SSD fit into the slide just fine without any sort of modification? It does say on the Corsair website that the drives are 3.5in/2.5in combo so I imagine it's fine right?

cyen

Well... i could not control myself and bought a 970 Gaming G1, could not wait until GM200 or 390X so i took the plunge.

This GPU is a great clocker, already testing 1500+mhz on boost, never passing 65C whisper quiet.

Here is my finished build (until new GPU´s arrive):

7K8TQLd.jpg

I blame the picture thread for this purchase.. damm you guys!

If you have a Z series motherboard, I would get a 3770k 2nd hand, an SSD, and GTX 970. Can upgrade ram if you like to some 8gb 1600/1866 kit.

Otherwise
Corsair 350D
Gigabyte Z97 Gaming mATX
i5 4670k/i7 4790k
MSI GTX 970 Gamer (quieter than Windforce)
8/16Gb 1600/1866 Ram
1/2TB Toshiba ACA
Crucial MX100 128/256Gb
Seasonic G550 PSU

No Z series motherboard here unfortunately, but this other build you've proposed looks great, especially that case. Everything's available at my preferred vendor too. How does this look?

ku1UzRt.png

Moobabe

Ok so I'm still getting hard locks occasionally

I'm only using 3/4 RAM slots - is that a problem?

Now Christmas has been and gone though I can afford to upgrade a couple of bits. This is what I have currently:

CPU: NEW! AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Included
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Included
Premium 64-bit
Motherboard: NEW! Asus M4A87TD USB3 Included
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1333mhz (4x 2GB) Included
Hard Drives: 1TB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s Included
Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA Included
Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB Included
Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio Included
Internet: Wireless 802.11G PCI card £10.99
Keyboard and mouse: Keyboard, mouse and speakers £12.19
Accessories: DVI to HDMI cable £8.09
Case: Xigmatek Asgard Included
PSU: 700W OCZ £33.90

Since then I'm down to 6bg RAM across 3 slots and I've upgraded my card to an R9 280. I'm guessing I need to fill out my RAM slots - and then I'm looking at upgrading my HD to see if that's causing me any errors too.

Can anyone recommend some good components (maybe even a CPU as well?) I guess I can spend 200/300 on stuff depending on what it is.

RGM79

Thanks for the input and clearing up my RAM question. As for SLI, I should have mentioned that I am not interested in an SLI system because of the potential lack of effective SLI profiles and supposed microstutter issues.

The new RAM, power supply and motherboard you chose seem fine, but I'm not sure about the GPU and case. Would the EVGA card be as quiet as my current 670 Windforce? The main reason I chose the 970 Windforce is because I was so impressed with how silent my current card is. The concern I have about the case is that it's the same size as the one I have now (CoolerMaster Elite 334U) and I had a really hard time installing my Noctua cooler in that thing. The Noctua site said it was compatible (and it was, I guess) but it just barely fit. Ideally I would like to get a roomier case just so I don't have to worry about that again.

One last thing to do with the actual purchasing of the parts. I would prefer to buy all my parts from the same shop so I can minimise any staggered shipping or other problems that may crop up from dealing with online stores I've never used before. However, if any other Australian users can vouch for the places that PC Part Picker uses then I would be a bit more comfortable buying the parts from multiple stores. I've only used MSY (local) and PC Case Gear in the past.

I wasn't aware about those things, sorry. As for whether you should go with Gigabyte or EVGA, I saw that the EVGA model was slightly faster for a cheaper price. You can go with the Gigabyte for lower noise levels. I did not find many reviews for the Windforce GTX 970 as the Gigabyte G1 edition was much more popular and has all the reviews, but reviewers did note that the EVGA model I suggested was not too quiet. Also, each review site uses different practices for measuring sound - it'd be hard to compare noise levels from different reviews, and not one review site seems to have reviewed both the Windforce non-G1 GTX 970 nor the ACX 2.0 Superclocked. The Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980 ($750) will fit within your $2000 budget, so it's the option to go for, I guess. I personally don't think the extra $250 is worth it.

Your NH-D14 has a height of 160mm. Larger (wider) cases that I can recommend at $100 or less are the:
Corsair 300R ($99) with 170mm clearance
Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ($95) with 175mm clearance
NZXT Source 530 ($98) with 183mm clearance

You may also want to look at sound absorbing cases if you want to reduce noise levels. They will cost more, but I can recommend the following:
Corsair 330R ($129) also with 170mm clearance, sound absorbing version of the 300R, alright at noise levels but otherwise average according to Anandtech's review
Fractal Define R4 titanium grey ($129) with 170mm clearance, comes with fan controller and excellent noise containment according to Tweaktown
Fractal Define R5 Black ($143) with 180mm clearance, lots of features and improved over the earlier Define R4

Sorry but I'm not Australian, I can't really give you any info on the retailers these parts lists get prices on.

Anyway, here's a revised build incorporating your requirements and some further changes I made. You have no interest in SLI, so a cheaper motherboard and PSU can be considered.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.00 @ CPL Online)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($140.00 @ Scorptec)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($189.00 @ PLE Computers)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($61.00 @ Centre Com)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($749.50 @ Centre Com)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.00 @ Centre Com)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($89.00 @ PLE Computers)
Total: $1765.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-28 23:56 EST+1100

You are free to choose whatever case and graphics card you want. LilJoka's recommendation of the MSI GTX 970 is a good idea, that card and the Asus GTX 970 both have idle modes that shut off the fans when not at high temperatures for completely silent 2D/idle operation. The MSI GTX 970 is the same price ($519) as the Windforce GTX 970 you preferred, but the Asus Strix is $539.

I've bought two copies of Win 8 on the B/S/T thread. Both worked fine for my wife and I.

Thanks but can you post a link to this thread?

I'm based in the UK and I'm thinking of getting Windows 7 for £35 off Ebay, then upgrading to W8 or W10 in a couple months when my wallet has recovered (as the build I am making is going to stretch my budget to the limit!).

Schlocky

hi gaf! can anyone tell me the cheapest graphics card I can get that will output video and audio over hdmi, and be good enough to work as a Steam streaming client? is any old rubbish going to do the job? Cheers!

Howdy gents. After a year on the rig I had built last year, I decided I want upgrade the GPU to this fancy GTX 970 that's all the rage. This will be my first time changing any parts so I was wondering if I could get some advice.

My current PC:

CPU: AMD FX-6350 3.9GHz 6-Core Processor ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($87.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($168.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)

Could someone tell me if there will be any issues swapping the video cards? I'm expecting I'll have to get a new power supply alongside the 970.

Will I be significantly bottlenecked with my CPU?

Lastly, what's the next upgrade you would recommend, SSD or better CPU?

Thanks guys, any help is much appreciated.

I don't know about collecting, but considering value and price-to-performance the A10-6800K isn't worth it. For Newegg's price of $180 it's disgustingly overpriced, it's available elsewhere for $120. Considering the performance, It's only slightly better than the A8-6600K, and that APU costs only $90, half of the Newegg price.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but you can pick up an Intel i5 4460 quad core for $180 and it will be much stronger than APU systems for gaming and multi-tasking.
Yeah... I know it's not the best price performance thing. I'm getting it because of collecting.

One time I bought another AM3 Motherboard and a Thuban X6. Because I wanted to collect.
I've started collecting some classic computers, too. Like I want an MSX and a Sharp X68000. I feel like I'm collecting a part of history.

RGM79

Howdy gents. After a year on the rig I had built last year, I decided I want upgrade the GPU to this fancy GTX 970 that's all the rage. This will be my first time changing any parts so I was wondering if I could get some advice.

My current PC:

CPU: AMD FX-6350 3.9GHz 6-Core Processor ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($87.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($168.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)

Could someone tell me if there will be any issues swapping the video cards? I'm expecting I'll have to get a new power supply alongside the 970.

Will I be significantly bottlenecked with my CPU?

Lastly, what's the next upgrade you would recommend, SSD or better CPU?

Thanks guys, any help is much appreciated.

How much do you have to spend? A new power supply and GTX 970 will run about $400, maybe less. You can get the EVGA 600B power supply for $20 after $20 rebate at NCIXUS - it's a decent power supply and will handle just about any single graphics card easily, including the GTX 970. If your case can fit it, NCIXUS also has the Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 for $330 after $10 rebate. However, it's an extremely long card (312mm) and might not fit. The MSI GTX 970 Gaming is $340, that's your next best deal and is a more manageable 270mm length.

Bottlenecking depends on what games you play - some games have framerate limited by CPU, others more limited by GPU. For example, refer to these two below graphs for MGS Ground Zeroes. I know the example isn't perfect, but it is close enough.
Assuming the GPU isn't being bottlenecked by the CPU, the GTX 970 is more than enough to attain 60 frames per second.
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Metal_Gear_Solid_V_Ground_Zeroes_-test-mgs_1920.jpg

However, the FX-6300 here is only capable of an average framerate of 43 frames per second, even when paired with the stronger GTX 980.
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Metal_Gear_Solid_V_Ground_Zeroes_-test-mgs_proz.jpg

I'd recommend a better CPU over getting an SSD. While an SSD can make the OS feel more responsive, it doesn't affect anything much other than load times - you won't get better framerate with an SSD. However, if you were to upgrade to a better CPU for your current motherboard, not even the FX-83XX CPUs are good enough for 60 frames per second in quite a lot of games, so for better gaming in the future, you should aim for Intel. Your current motherboard is basically EOL - it's still being sold, but AMD has no plans for future processor upgrades for that motherboard.

Moldiver

Buying some parts for my new build and I'm stuck on what ram to get, clock speeds are lost to me. With the black and red case I would like to keep everything else black and red.

what I've got so far

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00GHz (Devil's Canyon)
Asus Vii Hero
NZXT H440
Needed 16Gb ram

Once i decide on ram I can move on with cooling and more ssd's

also would buying two 512 ssd's and sticking them in Raid 0 be worth it?

RGM79

Buying some parts for my new build and I'm stuck on what ram to get, clock speeds are lost to me. With the black and red case I would like to keep everything else black and red.

what I've got so far

Asus Vii Hero
NZXT H440
Needed 16Gb ram

also would buying two 512 ssd's and sticking them in Raid 0 be worth it?
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1866 for $143
16GB Patriot Viper 3 DDR3-2133 for $159

Raid 0 won't do anything for speed for SSDs, and others more knowledgeable than me about RAID in this thread say the hassle isn't worth it. You can get the 1TB Samsung 840 Evo for $400. Two of the 500GB Samsung 840 Evos would cost $438 anyway ($219 each), while two 512GB Crucial MX100 drives would be $400 ($200 each).

You can probably save money on the motherboard while still maintaining a red and black motif. The Gigabyte Z97X-SLI is only $120. It'll likely still be enough for what you need the PC to do.

ricki42

what I've got so far

Asus Vii Hero
NZXT H440
Needed 16Gb ram

Some CPU coolers are fairly large and require low-profile RAM, so it's good to keep that in mind when choosing RAM.

How much do you have to spend? A new power supply and GTX 970 will run about $400, maybe less. You can get the EVGA 600B power supply for $20 after $20 rebate at NCIXUS - it's a decent power supply and will handle just about any single graphics card easily, including the GTX 970. If your case can fit it, NCIXUS also has the Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 for $330 after $10 rebate. However, it's an extremely long card (312mm) and might not fit. The MSI GTX 970 Gaming is $340, that's your next best deal and is a more manageable 270mm length.

Bottlenecking depends on what games you play - some games have framerate limited by CPU, others more limited by GPU. For example, refer to these two below graphs for MGS Ground Zeroes. I know the example isn't perfect, but it is close enough.

I'd recommend a better CPU over getting an SSD. While an SSD can make the OS feel more responsive, it doesn't affect anything much other than load times - you won't get better framerate with an SSD. However, if you were to upgrade to a better CPU for your current motherboard, not even the FX-83XX CPUs are good enough for 60 frames per second in quite a lot of games, so for better gaming in the future, you should aim for Intel. Your current motherboard is basically EOL - it's still being sold, but AMD has no plans for future processor upgrades for that motherboard.

Thanks a bunch for the helpful input.

I always planned on getting an intel CPU eventually. It all comes down to money though. I'm in Ireland and there is a hefty premium on PC parts. I'd be looking at €360 (roughly $440) alone just for the 970. I am willing to spend that much as well as the power supply but it wont be until around June that I'll be putting in a new motherboard and CPU.

So what you're telling me is basically, a 970 will perform a fair bit better but will be held back a fair bit when it comes to CPU intensive games? And I guess I should move the SSD to the bottom of my scheduled upgrade list for this year.

Appreciate it

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Guys, let's say I'm not expecting to push 60 FPS in Ground Zeroes, in fact I'd settle with 30, would the FX-6300 be OK? I can get one+mobo+high speed ram for not much money.

I'm not considering this an upgrade, my motherboard went up and died yesterday so I figured I'd at least get myself a quadcore when I have to replace it.

I looked at some videos and it seems to run BF3 at pretty great framerates compared to the 22-30 average I get with my old C2D ;P.

So again to clarify, I don't consider this as much as a beefy upgrade as much as a stopgap until I find myself a proper job and a steady income.
As far as I can tell with my HD5870 there wouldn't be much bottlenecking going on either.

Edit: So like, I expect late last gen games to run pretty great on the thing, and I'm very much aware that I'll have to sacrifice a bunch of stuff to get games like Ground Zeroes to run at acceptable framerates. That's pretty much what I've been doing for the past few years with the E8500 :lol.

And for a bit more info:

Corsair 4GB (2 X 2GB) DDR3 1333MHz
Asus M5A97 970 R2.0
AMD FX-6300 6-Core @ 3.5 Ghz (3 physical cores)

From various forum posts I've read this particular CPU/Mobo combo can safely and easily overclock to 4.2-4.5 Ghz (varying between individual cpus)

So that package for about 19-20 Euros. It's about as high I can go, really and it'll be a decent boost from my currently (broken) setup.

RGM79

Thanks a bunch for the helpful input.

I always planned on getting an intel CPU eventually. It all comes down to money though. I'm in Ireland and there is a hefty premium on PC parts. I'd be looking at €360 (roughly $440) alone just for the 970. I am willing to spend that much as well as the power supply but it wont be until around June that I'll be putting in a new motherboard and CPU.

So what you're telling me is basically, a 970 will perform a fair bit better but will be held back a fair bit when it comes to CPU intensive games? And I guess I should move the SSD to the bottom of my scheduled upgrade list for this year.

Appreciate it

Sorry about assuming you were in the US. Most people who don't mention their nation in this thread are probably looking to buy parts from the USA, so I assumed you were.

Wait until you have the money before looking at prices, there's always the chance that graphics cards and power supplies will drop in price. AMD's new flagship models are expected to launch by the middle of 2015, so there might be some competition to drive prices down a bit. A cheaper alternative might be the AMD R9 290. The price could be somewhat lower while offering ~90% of the performance of the GTX 970.

The FX-6350 isn't awful, but it would hold back the GTX 970 a bit. If you're interested in as much framerate performance you can get for the money, then yes, an SSD would be low on the list of upgrades to get, as it only really improves loading times.

Guys, let's say I'm not expecting to push 60 FPS in Ground Zeroes, in fact I'd settle with 30, would the FX-6300 be OK? I can get one+mobo+high speed ram for not much money.

I'm not considering this an upgrade, my motherboard went up and died yesterday so I figured I'd at least get myself a quadcore when I have to replace it.

I looked at some videos and it seems to run BF3 at pretty great framerates compared to the 22-30 average I get with my old C2D ;P.

So again to clarify, I don't consider this as much as a beefy upgrade as much as a stopgap until I find myself a proper job and a steady income.
As far as I can tell with my HD5870 there wouldn't be much bottlenecking going on either.

Edit: So like, I expect late last gen games to run pretty great on the thing, and I'm very much aware that I'll have to sacrifice a bunch of stuff to get games like Ground Zeroes to run at acceptable framerates. That's pretty much what I've been doing for the past few years with the E8500 :lol.

And for a bit more info:

Corsair 4GB (2 X 2GB) DDR3 1333MHz
Asus M5A97 970 R2.0
AMD FX-6300 6-Core @ 3.5 Ghz (3 physical cores)

From various forum posts I've read this particular CPU/Mobo combo can safely and easily overclock to 4.2-4.5 Ghz (varying between individual cpus)

So that package for about 19-20 Euros. It's about as high I can go, really and it'll be a decent boost from my currently (broken) setup.

How much do you have to spend and where are you buying? 19-20 euros, that doesn't sound right? Overclocking is possible, but you'll need a decent CPU cooler, the stock cooler won't cut it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Sorry about assuming you were in the US. Most people who don't mention their nation in this thread are probably looking to buy parts from the USA, so I assumed you were.

Wait until you have the money before looking at prices, there's always the chance that graphics cards and power supplies will drop in price. AMD's new flagship models are expected to launch by the middle of 2015, so there might be some competition to drive prices down a bit. A cheaper alternative might be the AMD R9 290. The price could be somewhat lower while offering ~90% of the performance of the GTX 970.

The FX-6350 isn't awful, but it would hold back the GTX 970 a bit. If you're interested in as much framerate performance you can get for the money, then yes, an SSD would be low on the list of upgrades to get, as it only really improves loading times.

How much do you have to spend and where are you buying? 19-20 euros, that doesn't sound right? Overclocking is possible, but you'll need a decent CPU cooler, the stock cooler won't cut it.

2090 SEK -> 219 Euros from a reputable site :p. And yeah I'll be looking into some better cooling before I even dare touch the clocks, the last thing I'd want to do is burn out a brand new CPU

Edit: If you meant it sounds too expensive it's actually the cheapest I've been able to find, if you buy them all separately it costs like 20-30 euros more.

This might sound silly, but I'm seeing conflicting answers on The Googles, and so I thought I'd ask here.

For Christmas, I wishlisted on Amazon a 2x4GB set of RAM for my Windows 7 64 Bit PC (specifically), to pad the 8 GB already in there (Samsung 2x4GB). A relatively kindly got it for me, but before I opened it, I realized they got me 1x8GB instead.

My original plan was to move my Samsung memory to the second pair of slots, and use the first pair with the new memory. I assume I'd still do this so the system ran on the faster new memory first. Can I have a single stick in one pair of slots, and the 2 sticks in the other pair? Will that cause speed issues? Should I return the 1x8 stick to get 2x4?

Bonus question: Even if I get the 2x4 GB, will the slightly slower Samsung sticks slow down the G.Skill? I doubt I'll notice the difference, but I saw some hints of that, and I'm curious. Or does that only happen when you try to use two different memory types as a pair?

knitoe

This might sound silly, but I'm seeing conflicting answers on The Googles, and so I thought I'd ask here.

For Christmas, I wishlisted on Amazon a 2x4GB set of RAM for my Windows 7 64 Bit PC (specifically), to pad the 8 GB already in there (Samsung 2x4GB). A relatively kindly got it for me, but before I opened it, I realized they got me 1x8GB instead.

My original plan was to move my Samsung memory to the second pair of slots, and use the first pair with the new memory. I assume I'd still do this so the system ran on the faster new memory first. Can I have a single stick in one pair of slots, and the 2 sticks in the other pair? Will that cause speed issues? Should I return the 1x8 stick to get 2x4?

Bonus question: Even if I get the 2x4 GB, will the slightly slower Samsung sticks slow down the G.Skill? I doubt I'll notice the difference, but I saw some hints of that, and I'm curious. Or does that only happen when you try to use two different memory types as a pair?
Most likely you are running dual channel. This, need to use ram sticks in pairs. If you run odd amount, you memory bandwidth will be cut in half. So, best to run them in even numbers.

And, if the ram are different specs, you need to make sure they run at the slowest ram specs in the Bios.

nasty mcpain

Neo Member
Hi I've been reading this thread for a while and finally decided to try and make a list.
This will be my first gaming pc. I'd appreciate any feed back on what could be changed to improve it whilst staying under £1000. I plan to buy the parts within the next few weeks unless there's anything coming up I should be waiting for?
I'd be playing at 1080p and would like to run skyrim with mods and hopefully any new games this year such as the witcher 3,
I'm in the UK and plan to buy all the parts online.
This will be used in the bedroom hence the reason I picked the fractal R5

Here's what I came up with so far.
[PCPartPicker part list](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MmLY8d) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MmLY8d/by_merchant/)

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54690k) | £167.50 @ Amazon UK

**CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2) | £25.34 @ Scan.co.uk

**Motherboard** | [Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97xsli) | £89.99 @ Novatech

**Memory** | [Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-memory-hx318c10fbk216) | £123.84 @ Amazon UK

**Storage** | [Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-internal-hard-drive-ct256mx100ssd1) | £77.98 @ Amazon UK

**Storage** | [Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st3000dm001) | £69.98 @ Aria PC

**Video Card** | [EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp42974kr) | £269.98 @ Amazon UK

**Case** | [Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-case-fdcadefr5bk) | £80.40 @ CCL Computers

**Power Supply** | [Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx600m) | £54.12 @ CCL Computers

**Wireless Network Adapter** | [TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/tp-link-wireless-network-card-tlwdn4800) | £26.39 @ Aria PC
| | **Total**
| Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | £985.52
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-28 23:40 GMT+0000 |

Thank in advance

The Judge

So I'm building right now my first gaming PC. I've been reading a lot here lately (because I'm completely new to this) and came up with a build that I would like you guys opinions.

First, the basic questions:

Your Current Specs: Macbook Pro from 2011. Also known as, not really a decent gaming machine.
Budget: Country is Brazil, so giving a price range won't really help much. Using PCPartPicker gave me around 1300 USD, which I find a comfortable range. Would prefer a bit less, but I'm okay with it.
Main Use: 5 Gaming, and preferably at high specs on recent games. 4 Emulation such as Dolphin is also an interest. 3 General use for work also (heavy Excel use). 2 Music editing software.
Monitor Resolution: I plan on hooking the machine up to my tv (47"). I presume at this size, 1080p would be the minimum acceptable (tv is about 5 feet from the sofa).
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I would like 60FPS on new releases, but 30 is acceptable for really demanding games. I have no idea what PhysX or CUDA mean.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Nope.
When will you build?: Still in January.
Will you be overclocking?: No.
Other relevant issues: I will be getting a wireless keyboard, mouse and headphones, so bluetooth is sort of a necessity.

After researching some I got that narrowed down. Im pretty satisfied with the Intel Core i7 4790 and the GTX 970 settled down, but if you guys have better suggestions I'm all ears. The case is just there as a set-up, not decided if I'll go with that one. Same with motherboard.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($155.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.85 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($359.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Phantom 820 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($216.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: BitFenix Fury 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($91.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1325.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-28 19:12 EST-0500

All help is appreciated, thanks!

RGM79

Most likely you are running dual channel. This, need to use ram sticks in pairs. If you run odd amount, you memory bandwidth will be cut in half. So, best to run them in even numbers.

And, if the ram are different specs, you need to make sure they run at the slowest ram specs in the Bios.

Actually, I believe you can run dual channel with three RAM modules.

Source: Intel's website
LeFI3g0.png

Not sure if that only applies to Intel branded motherboards or other manufacturer's models as well. Worth a try if you don't want to go through the hassle of returning and getting different RAM.

Hi I've been reading this thread for a while and finally decided to try and make a list.
This will be my first gaming pc. I'd appreciate any feed back on what could be changed to improve it whilst staying under £1000. I plan to buy the parts within the next few weeks unless there's anything coming up I should be waiting for?
I'd be playing at 1080p and would like to run skyrim with mods and hopefully any new games this year such as the witcher 3,
I'm in the UK and plan to buy all the parts online.
This will be used in the bedroom hence the reason I picked the fractal R5

Here's what I came up with so far.
[PCPartPicker part list](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MmLY8d) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MmLY8d/by_merchant/)

Thank in advance

Nice build. I can only recommend a different power supply, like the Antec HCG 750 watts for £58, that will allow you the option of SLI in the future for an extra £4. For £11 more, you can get this Intel 7260 wifi adaptor for £37 - it comes with wireless AC support and a wired external antenna for better signal reception.

So I'm building right now my first gaming PC. I've been reading a lot here lately (because I'm completely new to this) and came up with a build that I would like you guys opinions.

First, the basic questions:

Your Current Specs: Macbook Pro from 2011. Also known as, not really a decent gaming machine.
Budget: Country is Brazil, so giving a price range won't really help much. Using PCPartPicker gave me around 1300 USD, which I find a comfortable range. Would prefer a bit less, but I'm okay with it.
Main Use: 5 Gaming, and preferably at high specs on recent games. 4 Emulation such as Dolphin is also an interest. 3 General use for work also (heavy Excel use). 2 Music editing software.
Monitor Resolution: I plan on hooking the machine up to my tv (47"). I presume at this size, 1080p would be the minimum acceptable (tv is about 5 feet from the sofa).
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I would like 60FPS on new releases, but 30 is acceptable for really demanding games. I have no idea what PhysX or CUDA mean.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Nope.
When will you build?: Still in January.
Will you be overclocking?: No.
Other relevant issues: I will be getting a wireless keyboard, mouse and headphones, so bluetooth is sort of a necessity.

After researching some I got that narrowed down. Im pretty satisfied with the Intel Core i7 4790 and the GTX 970 settled down, but if you guys have better suggestions I'm all ears. The case is just there as a set-up, not decided if I'll go with that one. Same with motherboard.

All help is appreciated, thanks!

Parts look fine and compatible. Not much else I can say because I don't know what product availability and pricing is like in Brazil. Unless you want the hyperthreading, you might want to consider a cheaper processor like the i5 4460 or 4590, it could possibly cost less while still giving you 90% of the same performance. Because you're not overclocking, you should get a H97 motherboard, that should cost less as well.

kennah

That Samsung ram will overclock to higher speeds than that gskill can handle, just run them all at 1866, there is some difference between dual and single but you probably would never notice the difference.

Qwyjibo

I posted this on Reddit as well but wondering if I could get some opinions on here:

I bought a PC in July-2010 from NCIX here in Canada (parts+assembly). I'm totally out of the loop in terms of how things work together these days. I've been thrilled with the system and the only change I've made since was increasing the RAM to 8 GB. I want to be able to play games at reasonably high quality levels and am finally noticing drops in that with recent games where I have to change many settings to "medium" levels.

1) Does it make sense/is it a good value to simply upgrade my GPU and leave everything else intact? Will I be limited by my CPU? If so, any specific features/cards that I should be looking at?

2) What kind of other things do I need to worry about? Power supply? Would I need extra cooling for a new GPU? Will some of these recent behemoths even fit in my case?

My current PC:
Intel Core i5 750
Gigabyte P55A-UD3
XFX Radeon HD 5850
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Antec Earthwatts 750W Modular Power Supply
Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced ATX case

I don't have a set budget but I doubt I'd want to spend more than $400 total. But again, I'm not sure what would be a good value (if anything). I appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks.

kennah

You'll be a little limited by the CPU. But would see a substantial improvement from an upgraded gpu. Your power supply is fine. The 970 can be found in. Canada for under 400 finally. Check the last couple pages of the Canada thread for links

RGM79

I posted this on Reddit as well but wondering if I could get some opinions on here:

I bought a PC in July-2010 from NCIX here in Canada (parts+assembly). I'm totally out of the loop in terms of how things work together these days. I've been thrilled with the system and the only change I've made since was increasing the RAM to 8 GB. I want to be able to play games at reasonably high quality levels and am finally noticing drops in that with recent games where I have to change many settings to "medium" levels.

1) Does it make sense/is it a good value to simply upgrade my GPU and leave everything else intact? Will I be limited by my CPU? If so, any specific features/cards that I should be looking at?

2) What kind of other things do I need to worry about? Power supply? Would I need extra cooling for a new GPU? Will some of these recent behemoths even fit in my case?

My current PC:
Intel Core i5 750
Gigabyte P55A-UD3
XFX Radeon HD 5850
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Antec Earthwatts 750W Modular Power Supply
Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced ATX case

I don't have a set budget but I doubt I'd want to spend more than $400 total. But again, I'm not sure what would be a good value (if anything). I appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks.

You'll be a little limited by the CPU. But would see a substantial improvement from an upgraded gpu. Your power supply is fine. The 970 can be found in. Canada for under 400 finally. Check the last couple pages of the Canada thread for links

Kennah is right. I have a very similar system (i7 875K upgraded from i5 750, Gigabyte P55A-UD4P with 9GB RAM, R9 270X crossfire upgraded from 5850 overclocked) and I agree that you'll see an improvement from a graphics card upgrade. Your current case and power supply is good as it is. Gigabyte Windforce graphics cards won't fit, but pretty much everything else will. Is that $400 budget including tax?

Qwyjibo

Is that $400 budget including tax?
Ideally I'd like to stay below that in total but that's really just an arbitrary number I picked. If it turns out that the best value card for me ends up being $415 or 420 total... well then sure. I won't let that stop me.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

clem84

Gold Member
This is probably isn't the best place to ask this but I couldn't think of a better one.

I'm looking into buying a micro-SD card for my tablet. Are some brands supposed to be more reliable, or just better, then others?

Pandemic

I thought it'd probably time to clean the inside of my year old yet expensive PC before it explodes... Should I just use canned air, a small paint brush, a screw driver, microfibre cloth, anything else??

Should that suffice?

Cheers!

RGM79

Ideally I'd like to stay below that in total but that's really just an arbitrary number I picked. If it turns out that the best value card for me ends up being $415 or 420 total... well then sure. I won't let that stop me.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Well in that case, you could get something like the Asus R9 290 for $280 after $30 rebate, and it'll give you performance similar to the GTX 970, just a little less performance for a lot less money.

I don't suppose you're in Vancouver, are you? NCIX sells graphics cards as well as other parts locally through clearance ads, pickup from their main office. You could get an R9 290 for $200-270, or even an R9 290X for $280. Availability is somewhat limited, though.

I thought it'd probably time to clean the inside of my year old yet expensive PC before it explodes... Should I just use canned air, a small paint brush, a screw driver, microfibre cloth, anything else??

Should that suffice?

Cheers!

All of those things, plus I use tweezers, cotton swabs, and toothpicks for harder to reach areas or tight spots.

stanley1993

Neo Member
I don't know if this thread is also a laptop thread but I need help with finding the right laptop for my needs. The laptop is going to be used mainly for the internet and business applications. I want the fastest laptop for my budget price
Budget: $600
HDD: want SSD
Resolution: want 1080p (~14-15 inch screen~)
Can anybody help?

Gruso

I don't know if this thread is also a laptop thread but I need help with finding the right laptop for my needs. The laptop is going to be used mainly for the internet and business applications. I want the fastest laptop for my budget price
Budget: $600
HDD: want SSD
Resolution: want 1080p (~14-15 inch screen~)
Can anybody help?
There is a thread :) It's aimed at gaming laptops, but you'll get help. Just have a quick read of the OP to make sure you're formatting your question correctly.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=745783

Reg

Banned
Friends, help me decide on one of these three drives? (prices are in Canadian $)

SAMSUNG 850 Pro 256GB $190
or
Crucial MX100 512GB $225
or
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB $260

Currently I'm using an Intel 320series 120GB drive and I do like the idea of stepping up to 500GBs. But also, from one of the benchmarks I have seen the crucial drives seem to have a significant drop in performance after the drive has been filled to the 50% mark. Any idea if these new Samsung 850series have similar issues? And if I'm completely off the mark then please suggest a drive I should be looking at. Thanks.

demolitio

So my motherboard has been acting up after installing my 970 (can't access bios, takes a long time to boot, corrupted windows, etc. so I'm assuming that would be a mobo issue). I was lucky just to get the 970 so is there a motherboard that's cheap but decent enough to replace my current one? I have an i5 2500k and the 970.

Just sucks that a joint Christmas present with some of my own money ends up setting me back more than anything else...lol

RGM79

So my motherboard has been acting up after installing my 970 (can't access bios, takes a long time to boot, corrupted windows, etc. so I'm assuming that would be a mobo issue). I was lucky just to get the 970 so is there a motherboard that's cheap but decent enough to replace my current one? I have an i5 2500k and the 970.

Just sucks that a joint Christmas present with some of my own money ends up setting me back more than anything else...lol

It's probably better to try some troubleshooting first. Try removing the GTX 970 and see if it still acts up. Maybe put the old graphics card back. If you still have issues, then it's not the graphics card.

You will not be able to find a new P67/Z68/Z77 motherboard for less than about $100 which already costs as much as a new Z97 motherboard, and I don't recommend buying used socket 1155 motherboards unless it's really cheap and you don't plan to use it for a long time. If it turns out to be a broken motherboard but you don't have $100, then there are compatible budget H61 motherboards for $40 and less brand new, although I can't vouch for reliability nor quality.

Newegg's got the 16GB DDR3-2400 kit for $129. Just picked 'em up for my own system.

Thanks, I missed that because I filtered everything except 1866MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom