• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix reveals new arcade game 'School of Raganarok'

Game's logo:

School-of-Ragnarok-First-Details.jpg

Famitsu this week has first details on Square Enix’s newly announced arcade game School of Ragnarok.

The game, an “online 1-vs-1 tactical 5D action” title developed by Dimps, puts players in the role of a transfer student summoned to another world. Set during the Warring Schools Period, players team up in fights alongside deities known as “School Spirits.” Players will be able to customize their avatar to some extent.

On the gameplay front, buttons are laid out in an N-shaped formation. Your perspective changes depending on distance, with long distance shifting the gameplay to a three-dimensional perspective, while closer ranges yield a two-dimensional perspective similar to classic fighting games. Your weapon loadout depends on the Academy Spirit you equip.

The following School Spirit player partners have been announced:

- Ivor de Dacart of Claudia High School (voiced by Natsuki Hanae)
- Magical Girl Smileheart of Mamodoru Magic School (voiced by Nao Toyama)
- Valhallades of Ashrubanipal Academy (voiced by Fumihiko Tachiki)

The magazine also confirms that this is the new title Square Enix plans to introduce at Tokaigi 2015 this weekend. Following, it will be playable for the first time at the Japan Amusement Expo on February 14.

School of Ragnarok‘s staff includes:

Producer: Takamisa Shiba (Lord of Vermillion, Drakengard)
World Setting & Scenario: Kazutaka Kodaka (Danganronpa)
Character Design: Kimihiko Fujisaka (Drakengard, Terra Battle)
Main Theme: Yoko Takahashi
Composer: Keiichi Okabe (Nier)

Finally, the following comments come from the magazine’s interview with the producer, scenario writer, and composer:

- Since the number of multiplayer titles in arcades are increasing, they wanted to do a one-versus-one game.
- The reason it’s an action game is that achieving success would be more difficult as a traditional 2D fighter.
- Okabe ended up on board as a result of his work on Drakengard 3 and other games. He wanted to prepared individual songs with vocals for each school.
- The development team wanted the game to have tactical elements in its gameplay, such as adding the number of skills that can be used to dominate battles, or making players choose between aiming for other players or their Academy Spirit.

Development is currently 60 percent complete. The game will hit Japanese arcades later this year.

Source: http://gematsu.com/2015/01/school-ragnarok-detailed-famitsu#5yfBY20w8DCLO2dA.99

Razzorn34

I'm sure it'll be amazing, just like Gunslinger Stratos. Don't expect a western release any time soon folks.

I'm sure it'll be amazing, just like Gunslinger Stratos. Don't expect a western release any time soon folks.

The west still gets Arcade games? Or is it just fighting games? (actual question)

Anyway, I want to see how this is, it seems to be fun at least...

Reknoc

There's a lot of names there that makes this really interesting to me. I might not be able to play it ever but they can't take the art and music from me.

Edit: I don't think 5D action is a thing.

Reknoc

Oh wait it's like what they showed of Pokken? 3D arena fighter long range and 2D fighter close range. So 2+3 = 5D

Reveirg

"Online 1-vs-1 tactical 5D action arcade game" is the new "f2p iOS card game" confirmed?

Okabe and Fujisaka are working on this... =(

"Online 1-vs-1 tactical 5D action arcade game" is the new "f2p iOS card game" confirmed?

Okabe and Fujisaka are working on this... =(

How is it a f2p iOS card game if they are saying it's an arcade game?

Arcades are those big-ass machines. Lots of fighting games get them still. But in Japan they live (probably more than console games).

Which always confused me. Japanese people usually prefer mobile games because they're always moving around. So why are arcades, the most unportable games ever made, still super popular over there? >.>

What do you mean? If you mean the PS4 one, I think not since this is an arcade game.
I was just asking because of this in the OP:
The magazine also confirms that this is the new title Square Enix plans to introduce at Tokaigi 2015 this weekend. Following, it will be playable for the first time at the Japan Amusement Expo on February 14.

Hexa

That looks pretty cool actually. How does it actually play though?

Do arcades in Japan play like standard arcade games did back in the day in the west? Like pop in a quarter, and then play until you die. Regardless do you think with the rise of micro-transactions a model exactly like that could work on consoles?

I was just asking because of this in the OP:

In the other thread wasn't it confirmed that this and the website weren't the same thing, that there was nothing that said that SE would only be announcing one game, and that that was just a misunderstanding (or am I misunderstanding?)
Also, the teaser looks nothing like this so that would be confusing. :/

Dark_castle

The new title to be announced in Tokaigi is not an arcade game, so it can't be this, unless of course a PS4 console port.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Do arcades in Japan play like standard arcade games did back in the day in the west? Like pop in a quarter, and then play until you die. Regardless do you think with the rise of micro-transactions a model exactly like that could work on consoles?

Replace quarter with card and it depends on the game. But for when "play until you die" is a possibility, then yes.

In the other thread wasn't it confirmed that this and the website weren't the same thing, that there was nothing that said that SE would only be announcing one game, and that that was just a misunderstanding (or am I misunderstanding?)
Also, the teaser looks nothing like this so that would be confusing. :/

I see, but I still don't think this is the same game since the other one is being hyped by SE, while this one was just announced.
Yeah, you're right.

School of Ragnarok‘s staff includes:

Producer: Takamisa Shiba (Lord of Vermillion, Drakengard)
World Setting & Scenario: Kazutaka Kodaka (Danganronpa)
Character Design: Kimihiko Fujisaka (Drakengard, Terra Battle)
Main Theme: Yoko Takahashi
Composer: Keiichi Okabe (Nier)

Finally, the following comments come from the magazine’s interview with the producer, scenario writer, and composer:

- Since the number of multiplayer titles in arcades are increasing, they wanted to do a one-versus-one game.
- The reason it’s an action game is that achieving success would be more difficult as a traditional 2D fighter.
- Okabe ended up on board as a result of his work on Drakengard 3 and other games. He wanted to prepared individual songs with vocals for each school.

49c99729-9753-4345-8f69-623d6f259cb5.img

Top Bottom