• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games o' the Generation (DC/PS2/GBA/GC/Xbox/PC 2000-2005) Voting Closed

rondilivise

Neo Member
1. Skies Of Arcadia ; favorite rpg of all time.
2. The Legend of Zelda : The Wind Waker ; a game that gives you a true sense of Adventure.
3. Kingdom Hearts 2 ; Much better than the first one, getting to play with old Disney characters is awesome.
4. God of War 2 ; Great visuals and the best way to set the standards for the next gen.
5. Dragon Quest VIII ; redefined classic rpgs for this generation .
6. Advance Wars 2 ; greatest local multiplayer game. still playing it with friends to this day.
7. Pro Evolution Soccer 6 ; Countless hours spent playing this game with friends.
8. Final Fantasy XII ; Best Final Fantasy since 6 .
9. Timesplitters 2 ; this is what Multiplayer games should be about : Fun.
10. Grandia 2 ; the second best rpg on Dreamcast.

Bacon

1. Resident Evil 4; My introduction to the Resident Evil Franchise. What an impression it made on me. Spectacular gameplay and perfect pacing. Not much more that I could possibly want out of a game.

2. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker; Possibly my favorite LOZ game of all time. The cel shading was excellent and I had a ton of fun with the sailing and dungeons. The ending dragged too much for my liking, but it was a small misstep in an otherwise excellent game.

3. NFL 2K5; I played this game for years after it was released. Just a spectacular football game and it only cost $20! It still might have the best gameplay of any football game I've ever played, but certain things have gotten too aged and it's a tough game to play these days. That doesn't take anything away from how great and revolutionary it was at the time.

4. Super Smash Brothers: Melee; My favorite entry of the franchise. I played this game for hours and hours when i was a kid. It was the ultimate party game as well.

5. Timespltters 2; Had so much fun with this game with my friends in co op and head to head multiplayer. The amound of customization that was possible was unmatched at the time and possibly still unmatched. It came out a few too many years early. I Imagine this game would have been amazing with online support.

6. Persona 4; I came to this game late but it still became one of my favorite games of all time. The characters are extremely compelling but the gameplay fails to be as interesting. Still an outstanding game and one that I could not put down.

7. Half Life 2; This game was unbelievable at the time. The physics and graphics were mindblowing to my tiny kid brain. Loved it.

8. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas; I didn't personally own this game but my friend did and we played this game for hours and hours whenever I would go over his house. It was a blast to go around and try and one up eachother in the destruction of the city. I can barely even remember the story but the gameplay made up for it.

9. Simpsons: Hit and Run; I bought this game on my gamecube as a GTA clone, but it was much more than that. It has a lot of heart and it s agenuinely funny game. It definitely feels like a love letter to the show.

10. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess; By almost all accounts, this game should be better than Wind Waker. If you made a checklist of all the things that both games do, this game would probably score higher. Graphics are technically better, dungeons are more varied and better, overworld is pretty much a wash, etc. But this game just didn't do it for me like Wind Waker did. Windwaker feels more charming and has more personality. The world and artstyle bore me. Despite all that, this is still and excellent game and I would be remiss to not include it on this list.

tcrunch

I have written out my organizational process going into this, maybe it will help anyone stumped on how to get started. I think I've interpreted the rules correctly...

1. Go through the Wikipedia links given in the OP and jot down the name of every game that appeals to you. The only criteria at this point is that you liked the game and it released to your region that year (aka not in Japan, unless you import and make a note of that and your actual region in your comment on the game).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_in_video_gaming
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_in_video_gaming
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_in_video_gaming
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_in_video_gaming
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_in_video_gaming
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_in_video_gaming
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_in_video_gaming
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_in_video_gaming
  2. Go through your list and pick your preemptive top 10 and any honoraries. Don't worry about looking up info yet, just pick out those 10-12 games and separate them from the rest of your list. DO NOT DELETE the rest of your list, just have it lower down.
  3. Now it's time to return to the OP and look at the qualification rules. Specifically, platforms:
    -Playstation 2
    -Xbox
    -Dreamcast
    -Gamecube
    -Game Boy Advance
    -PC (2000-2005) (no TESIV: Oblivion)
    -arcade (2000-2005)
    -Neo Geo Pocket Color, Wonderswan, Wonderswan Color/SwanCrystal, N-Gage, GP32, Tapwave Zodiac
    -Game Boy Color games are NOT allowed (no Pokemon Yellow or Crystal)
    -Nintendo64 games are NOT allowed (no Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros, or Paper Mario)
  4. Clean out any games from your Top 10 and honoraries that do not meet the qualification criteria. Replace with ones that do.
  5. Now you have a qualified list with a minimum of effort.

Dad

hWD2iLU.png

1. Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos ; I spent too many of my days playing custom games online. The campaign itself is also really great.

TB0IPT9.png

2. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath ; Manages to marry together FPS shootouts with third person exploration and combat into something much greater than the sum of its parts. The faux-western setting is unique and lends itself well to the themes and structure of the game. It still makes me sad to think about how terribly it sold at its launch.

trr0zfh.png

3. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess ; My favorite Zelda game. It's admittedly has some pacing issues, but the dungeons in the game are collectively head and shoulders above any other game in the series.

vXIiMml.png

4. Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy ; One of my favorite 3D platformers and the only collectathon game I've ever bothered to collect everything in. Maybe someday it will get a real sequel.

vWYGVuR.png

5. Final Fantasy XII ; My favorite Final Fantasy. Ivalice is great, the cast is solid, and the gambit system is a lot of fun to mess around with. I really wish Square would get around to making an HD port of the IZJS version.

UDs5siY.png

6. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind ; The combat's archaic, but Vvardenfell might be my favorite setting in any game. I've never had as much fun getting lost in a game as I did with Morrowind.

JnR0JW2.png

7. Age of Mythology ; Another RTS masterpiece from Ensemble. The campaigns decent, but the real meat is in the multiplayer. Spent a lot of late nights with friends playing this one.

aneeiLr.png

8. Halo 2 ; I think I'm one of the few people on here that actually liked having the campaign split between Arbiter and Chief missions. The diversity in missions end up making it a much more replayable game than Combat Evolved's repeating corridors.

IGp8IWO.png

9. Shadow of the Colossus ; I was way late to the party on this one, but it really does still hold up. Fantastic pacing and boss design make it a really hard game to put down. The "more is less" style of storytelling was more effective that the vast majority of cutscene heavy games.

ElQIThE.png

10. Kingdom Hearts 2 ; An improvement on the original in every way (except for the awful story which manages to get even more awful). Timeless River, the Pridelands, and Port Royal were a joy to discover my first time playing through.

Crayolan

Just for clarity, if I played Metroid Prime through the Trilogy and Okami through the Wii version, I can't vote for them?

And Yoshi's Island GBA would be eligible?

1. Resident Evil 4 (GCN); the perfect way to end the generation. Still plays amazing, still paced perfectly, still looks great, still influencing this industry.
2. Soul Calibur (DC); the perfect way to start the generation. Visuals that were so far above anything in 1999 the visions of the future seemed limitless. Never drops a frame; plays like a dream, so much content you'd be satisfied for a long time.
3. Halo (Xbox); I actually didn't really fathom Halo that much at the time, as coming off of other FPS games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark made Halo feel so foreign, Limited. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are games with so many options the joy comes from breaking them. In retrospect, those limits led to inventive, flexible gameplay. So much of Halo was nailed so perfectly on the first go, Bungie appeared effortless.
4. Halo 2 (Xbox); Depending on the time of day I'll switch positions with Halo and Halo 2. The effects of Halo 2 cannot be understated...console online play was a "thing" before it, but it was a novelty, seemingly outside the realm of more casual players. Once Halo 2 came out, if you didn't have XBL you instantly felt left out. Halo 2 propelled online multiplayer to just becoming the de-facto multiplayer. Again, Bungie with the insight to streamline the process of setting up a game, making it simple for anyone to get started. SMG starts still suck though.
5. Burnout Revenge (PS2, Xbox); Many people will love Burnout 3 for leading the change from the relatively quieter games before it. Burnout Revenge is somehow an even more aggro Burnout 3. The only way to play this game is angry, for in anger can you only see the optimal paths, the best jumps, the most dangerous near misses. Only in anger can you be in boost all the time.
6. Super Smash Bros. Melee (GCN); 13 years old, and it still manages to draw 1000+ entrants at Apex. Incredible. The level of depth this game has is insane at the higher levels; mere mortals like myself can only watch in awe. The speed, the fury, the free-form nature Melee make it timeless. At the same time, you and three other friends can just mess around with Pokeballs on Very High on Yoshi's Story. Melee's heights are dizzying; but it doesn't leave anyone behind, The game is what you make it.
7. Persona 3 (PS2); the game to get me into JRPGs. Square Enix games may be more technically accomplished, but they are no where near as stylish, dark, or as engrossing as Persona 3 is for me. Remarkably thematically cohesive, it made me think about how a game is structured and what it does versus what it tells you to feel.
8. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater/Subsistence (PS2); still in my eyes the most cohesive realization of MGS yet. The jungle setting is a perfect fit for the low-tech gear of Naked Snake; MGS3 became less of looking for vision cones and became more "feeling" out the environment. This natural, more free-form approach to stealth created so many more gameplay opportunities. Everything was firing on all cylinders - the story was deep enough, the characters were perfect, the game still looks amazing, the controls expanded.
9. Gran Turismo 4 (PS2); Gran Turismo made the leap to the then next gen perfectly. Polyphony recognized the time requirements and made GT3 a lean and trim game. It's still a great game and honestly I sometimes think I like it more. But GT4 is where Polyphony really came into their own with the series and I respect that. GT4 is where Gran Turismo left being a game and actually became a tome, an encyclopedia of cars. I love cars, so I hold this vison of GT over the more game focused entries, even in with GT5 it did get out of hand. I still play this game, to this day.
10. Shenmue (DC); This was a very tough pick between this and F-Zero GX. But where as F-Zero was the natural evolution of the F-Zero series, becoming faster and more aggressive, Shenmue felt like a step into a whole new world of video games. The level of interactivity and detail at the time was insane at the time. People had their own schedules, weather cycles, trinkets to inspect, games to play, a world to explore. How was so much detail on these disks? How did Suzuki and AM2 even think about incorporating all of this? It wasn't perfect - the actual gameplay is a bit disjointed, fluctuating between visual novel and Virtua Fighter, neither really at a consistent rate to propel the game forward through gameplay alone. But the world is what compelled you to play Shenmue. I feel that Shenmue laid the groundwork for showing other developers "this is how you define a world".

Honourable Mentions:
x. Persona 4
x. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
x. F-Zero GX
x. God of War
x. Guitar Hero
x. Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
x. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
x. Time Crisis 2
x. Mario Power Tennis
x. Shadow of the Colossus
x. ICO
x. Yakuza 2
x. Resident Evil Remake
x. Silent Hill 2
x. Silent Hill 3
x. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 2
x. Metroid Prime (this one hurts to put here, but I can't think of what to lose...)
x. Jet Set Radio
x. Metal Gear Solid 2

Miker

Tentative list

1. Resident Evil 4 ; I don't think there's that much more to be said about RE4 that hasn't already been said, mostly because there seems to be an RE4 LTTP or love thread every other day. It manages to make almost every encounter in its 15-hour playthrough interesting and different, and the slow, deliberate pace of shooting is something that I wish more games copied.

2. Metal Gear Solid 3 ; Post-modernism post-shmodernism. Put me in the group who thinks that Kojima went off the rails with MGS2. Hell, I'd say Kojima is in that group, because MGS3 seemed to be Kojima realizing how absurd MGS2 was, and reigning in his own excessive eccentricities. The result is a more focused game with a comprehensible plot. It doesn't hurt that it has a unique jungle setting, the best boss fights in the series, and one of the best endings ever committed to code.

3. Metroid Prime ; One of the most innovative and aesthetically cohesive games ever. Everything, from the design, the art, the music, the HUD, comes together to form a Metroid experience that captures the spirit of the 2D games and makes other games look like disjointed pieces of crap designed by committee.

5. Halo: Combat Evolved ; The campaign may have been bettered by sequels, and the multiplayer probably has been too, but I spent far too many nights playing Halo with friends for this not to make the list.

6. Ninja Gaiden Black ; Challenging but fair difficulty, great boss fights, fun weapons, and solid level and enemy design (which faltered in the sequels). Part of the holy trinity of action games, and for good reason. It's a crime this isn't available in HD somewhere.

7. God Hand ; My personal litmus test for taste, and my favorite game that I decided to try on gaf's advice. I probably had more minute-to-minute fun with God Hand than some of my higher-ranked games, but it has some problems (enemy variety, less fun on hard than normal) that I can't ignore.

8. Fire Emblem ; A fantastic strategy RPG that hits all the right notes - solid strategy, decent story, good balance, and Hector. My second favorite game in the series after Path of Radiance.

9. Psychonauts ; The only truly modern adventure game, if you ask me. It had SCUMM all over its DNA and design (verbs = powers), and despite the 3D platformer trappings, was as much of an adventure game as Monkey Island. In a perfect world, Psychonauts (okay, minus the floaty platforming) would have served as the template for a new generation of adventure games.

10. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door ; Like Paper Mario, but more. That's why it's on this list, and also why it's so low on the list. As charming and funny and brilliant as TTYD is, I think some of its chapters are a bit too similar to ones in Paper Mario, and I thought the pacing suffered as a result. If all chapters had the same quality as Glitzville, this might've reached #1.

Honorable mentions:

A. Persona 4 ; I was enamored with Persona 4 for months as I played it and after I finished, but looking back, I'm not sure how much fun I had actually playing it. The dungeons were absolutely awful, and I could never bring myself to play the game a second time, which is a huge mark against it, or else it would've made my top 10.
B. F-Zero GX ; Best racing game ever. Makes my eyes bleed in a good way.
C. Viewtiful Joe ;
D. Max Payne 2
E. Jet Set Radio Future
F. Metroid Fusion
G. Unreal Tournament 2004

PS2Top_mgs3_banner.jpg

1. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater/Subsistence;
My third favorite game of all time. Snake Eater is one of the great pillars of video game storytelling. It has a supernatural 60's James Bond feel to it, especially with that opening title song. The game also has the best gameplay out of the main series. I loved hunting, fixing up wounds, and messing with the guards. It also has the best boss fights out of any game I've played. That final boss and cutscene will always sit with me.

OkamiHD_Banner1.jpg

2. Okami;
My 5th favorite game ever, Okami is an excellent combination of graphical beauty and superb game design. The game's combat may be as easy as the Zelda series if not easier, but the atmosphere, music, and level design makes up for it. The game is a lot longer than one would expect, but it's enjoyable all the way through.

Final_Fantasy_XII_Wallpaper_by_Hellknight10.jpg

3. Final Fantasy XII;
I put in some work in Final Fantasy XII. The story was forgettable and so was the music, but gosh damn that battle system was perfection. I clocked 300 hours in that game on one playthrough, with no other game rivaling it except for maybe LittleBigPlanet.

actual_1355165239.jpg

4. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas;
It was between this and Bully, but this won due to sheer content. It is currently the best Grand Theft Auto game and has the second best soundtrack in the series. There was so much crazy shit to do in this game and I think CJ was the first black protagonist I played in a game, which says a lot for the genre because there really aren't many people of color in this medium.

OG Loc said:
"I'm OG Loc!"
Big Smoke said:
"All you had to do was follow the damn train CJ!"

re4banner.jpg

5. Resident Evil 4;
Admittedly the best Resident Evil I've played, but it lead to the downfall of the subsequent games. This game was definitely a surprise treasure. I remember the hype and the massive fun I had with the action in this game. The battles were so tense and I loved the Mercenaries side game. Leon's Mafia outfit is so dope!

6. Half-Life 2;
I was very surprised about the quality of the game. It's ugly as all hell, but there's a charm to it and you have the only Blasian character in all of video games in it and her pet robot named Dog. The level design is excellent. You can figure out where to go by subtle visual cues where as other games either make it too vague or too direct. Those black zombies scare the hell out of me.

dq83jyp9.png

7. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King;
My first only played Dragon Quest game. I remember playing a demo of it somewhere at first that stopped at the waterfall boss, but that was enough for me to get the game when it came out, that, and the Final Fantasy XII demo that it came with. I ended up enjoying it immensely. The music, the characters, the simple story, and the combat. It's a treasured gem.

latest

8. Halo 2;
Loved the first, but this game takes it with the improved gameplay and the addition of online multiplayer. Also check this out. In Halo 1 you could shoot with one gun, but in 2 you can shoot with two guns.

banner_11.jpg

9. Kingdom Hearts;
It was hard to either choose this one or II. II improved the combat and the gummi ship segments a lot, but it also completely abandoned platforming and exploration, made gummi ship building less fun, the Disney worlds didn't feel as well told, their were less optional bosses, and the story got confusing. Kingdom Hearts 1 was a lot more well rounded. It had camera problems, but almost everything else was on point.

tumblr_mn688dwRAs1srkcako1_400.png

10. SSX Tricky;
I put a lot of time into this game as well. My first Snowboarding game and I think the only one I played. The characters were wacky and it played that one good song over and over again. I loved mastering the tricks, reading the character profiles, interviews, unlocking everyone's stuff, and watching the making of videos. Man, I need to play this again so bad.

Runners Up:
x. Beyond Good & Evil
x. Street Hoops
x. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
x. Bully
x. Kingdom Hearts II
x. Def Jam Fight for NY
x.. Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
x.God of War II
x. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
x. Final Fantasy X
x. Soul Calibur II

Edit: Writing this was hard. The first two were a given, but the others I had to fight with myself for.

Elandyll

Banned
1. Half Life 2; To this day, it still is in my opinion a near perfect balance of "cinematic" storytelling, gameplay and level design. Valve at their best.
2. Baldur's Gate 2: SoA; To this day, probably still the best RPG ever made. At least for me. Shame it was so tied to the horrid D&D mechanics though.
3. Homeworld 2; My all time favorite RTS, right after Homeworld (which was a 1999 release)
4. Deus Ex; Legendary Action Adventure game on PC, still holding its own even today (modded)
5. Diablo 2; I didn't care for Diablo to be honest, but Diablo 2 sucked me in and had a revolutionary Lan/ Online gameplay
6. Neverwinter Nights; Still somewhat bound and limited by the D&D mechanics, it was an amazing (and successful) experiment in user created content and adventures. I don't think it has ever been quite equalled since.
7. Dark Age of Camelot; My most memorable PvP battles of all times were with that game, with 3 realms and hundreds of players battling it out in the Frontiers
8. Warcraft III; The most polished Warcraft RTS by far, but not quite as enjoyable as WC2 for me though. Still very highly rated.
9. World of Warcraft; The best MMO ever made? Who could say. But the gold standard by which all other mmos would then be judged, with incredible amount of content, story and gameplay.
10. Knights of the Old Republic; Perhaps the edge on which all western RPGs changed, going from being merely story oriented to fully character story based.

Honorable mentions:
The Elders Scrolls III: Morrowind
Halo
FEAR
Shogun: Total War

Would perhaps be featured if I had been into console games at the time:
God Of War
Ico
Shadow of The Colossus
Metal Gear solid 2
Silent Hill 2
Halo 2

1. Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition ; Not just the best game of the generation, but the best game ever made, as you can tell by my avatar. Amazing combat, amazing bosses, amazing music. Also, playable Vergil! The complete package in every sense of the word.
2. Resident Evil 4 ; Mikami's masterpiece, his magnum opus. Pacing and atmosphere are top notch. Memorable moments, and gameplay that revolutionized an industry. Can't really say much else that hasn't been said.
3. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence ; The best Metal Gear Solid game. A story that makes sense, a worthy antagonist, and stellar boss fights like The End. Subsistence added a free camera that makes the game even better.
4. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Gamecube) ; Zelda games tend to have very predictable areas as dungeons, but this game had some strange but awesome dungeons such as the mansion and city in the sky. An atmospheric world and fun combat make this my favorite Zelda game.
5. Devil May Cry ; Although not as good as DMC3, this is the game that gave birth to an entire subgenre of action games. Got to give it credit for that.
6. Soul Calibur II ;The best iteration of the Soul series. Playing the HD version proves it. Buttery smooth combat.
7. Final Fantasy XII ; Freedom in a JRPG? Say it ain't so! Seriously, this game is huge. The story is the best in the series, and Balthier is an amazing character.
8. Tales of Symphonia ; Yeah, the story is kind of cliche but the combat system is so much fun and I really enjoyed the character interactions.
9. X-Men Legends ; I love X-Men, and this was the best game to play as them. Story is kind of bad but what can you do?
10. Final Fantasy X ; The music, the battle system, the characters. Wow. This was quite the game, even if the voice acting threatened to ruin the experience.

Christ, this is difficult. Yes, you can probably guess the top two from my name/avatar. Most of my all time favourites come from this generation:

1. Deus Ex; My favourite game of all time. OF ALL TIME. Incredible gameplay design, level design, encounter design, pacing, setting, characters, plot, atmosphere. Almost endlessly replayable, even when you feel like you know the entire game inside and out you wind up on some rooftop or in some vent which you had no idea existed. A tone and atmosphere which perfectly straddled the line between dark, serious, thought-provoking and hilariously melodramatic, off the wall and campy. So many brilliant lines of dialogue, random quotable idiosyncratic bits which add such an amazing character to the game and make you seriously wonder if anyone who wrote it had ever had a normal conversation with another human being, or had ever been to any other country. LOVE IT.

2. Half-Life 2; My other favourite game of all time. Stunning art design, atmosphere, graphics for its time too. Great gameplay and physics, incredibly innovative for its time and even now still feels far more interactive in a way than any other FPS since. Great writing, dialogue, characters, facial animation which still holds up today. Best level design of any linear single-player FPS ever, with some of the most memorable levels and gameplay set pieces of any game ever. The most ridiculous last-level-gameplay-switch-up ever. In my opinion, just as important and impactful on the history of FPSs as the first game was, and honestly better, at the very least more consistent. Honourable mention to Episode 1 here too, which was pretty good but not nearly as good as the base game or Episode 2.

3. Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne; Absolutely dripping with atmosphere, perfectly pulpy in the way that anything noir really should be but also astonishingly well written. Some of the best character writing in a game ever, I can't think of a game almost entirely based around a romance plot which has pulled it off nearly close to as well as this has. TPS gameplay perfection, for all intents and purposes, Max Payne 3 is the only TPS which has ever played as well as this, let alone better. My only real complaint is that it isn't long enough, even though it feels perfectly paced.

4. Thief 2: The Metal Age; First person stealth perfected. Stellar gameplay mechanics, open-ended level design, great AI. Methodical and tense, but so satisfying to pull off correctly, and incredibly punishing. Really fun writing and good voice acting, too, an engaging plot and setting.

5. Shadow of the Colossus; An awe-inspiring and emotional experience like no other, a pretty astonishing piece of interactive art and a damn good game too. A unqiuely minimalist approach to storytelling which I feel like the industry has only just started to understand in the last few years. Great example of the power of atmosphere in a game, an amazing world with an incredible sense of scale, shame that the PS2 didn't really do it justice but nonetheless fantastic.

6. Persona 4; Still, to this day, the only (proper, not counting Souls games or something) JRPG I've really clicked and connected with. The combat itself and dungeon design is sorta whatever, but everything around it is so unique and well put together that its difficult not to get charmed by it. Love the setting, concept, plot and characters so much.

7. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic; One of my favourite Bioware RPGs, which happen to be a particular thing I enjoy an awful lot. Has a lot of the negative trappings of those games, but buoyed by a stellar cast of characters, a fantastic plot and excellent use of a rather well-worn license.

8. Max Payne; Only series with two entries on the list, which is something. In some ways more memorable than the second game and almost as good, but not quite. Like 2, very well written, very cohesive tone, great atmosphere, voice acting, etc.

9. Civilization IV; I think, today, V is probably a better game, but this is still deserves a lot of credit for being as good as it was for the time and getting me to spend so many hours in a genre I previously had so little interest in.

10. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines; Man, this game was completely broken when it came out, and sorta still is without mods. Speaks to how good the game is when it works that it made it onto this list, given the competition.

x. F.E.A.R.; How did this not get on the list? Some of the best FPS gameplay ever across the board and a pretty interesting, tense plot, which made up a lot for 2/3 of the game taking place in the same dull-as-hell office building.
x. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City; How did this not get on the list? Still probably my favourite GTA game, a series I maybe don't have quite as much affinity for as some but one I very much enjoy nonetheless.
x. Unreal Tournament 2004; My favourite online FPS from this generation, maybe not the best UT game though. Still excellent, very well designed and fun to play.
x. The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher's Bay; Another fantastic, perenially underrated FPS from this gen, a really great FPS/melee/stealth gameplay mix and a healthy dose of Vin Diesel.
x. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory; One of my favourite stealth game of this generation, mechanically very tight and well designed, pretty challenging too.
x. Hitman: Blood Money; Very late in the generation but another great stealth game, easily the pinnacle of the Hitman formula so far. I really like the mission design and structure of this game, it's wonderfully freeform and reactive to what you do.
x. Psychonauts; I wish this game held up through its entirety, because so much of it is so goooood. Fun concept, great art style, great writing, great voice-acting, largely pretty good gameplay and level design until the last few levels. Still my favourite Double Fine game.
x. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath; I dunno, maybe this game is secretly actually not very good, but it's just so damn stylish. Its so weird and crazy and I don't really know how to describe it, very much in the imaginative-ness realm of Psychonauts.

Dad

x. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath; I dunno, maybe this game is secretly actually not very good, but it's just so damn stylish. Its so weird and crazy and I don't really know how to describe it, very much in the imaginative-ness realm of Psychonauts.

It's actually secretly amazing.

nampad

1. World of Warcraft ; I got into the open beta with some friends. It was my first MMORPG and I never thought I would actually pay for a game subscription. The beta was quite fun and gave me a glimpse of the possibilities in the short time I have played it. After reading up on the game after the beta, I was so hyped that I had to buy and subscribe to the game and my best friend was also hooked after I send him the beta link.
The game was a huge time sink but it was at a time when I could do so. The big world filled with stuff to do was magical to explore for the first time. The amount of player interaction unbelievable. I had such a good time leveling, doing quests, raids or just farm stuff while I hung out with people in voice chats.
I stopped playing shortly after I went to university at the end of WoW: Classic around the time everyone raided Anh Quirai.
2. Tactical Ops ; This game got me into the whole mod scene and was my go to shooter for years. I discovered it on a PC magazine disc and installed it. Surprisingly, I had fun with it considering how early the mod has been back then (first release, still known as SWAT). The mod changed completely several times but I was still hooked playing it competitively in a clan more or less successful. Admittedly, it was a Counterstrike knock off but I enjoyed the gunplay so much more than that of Counterstrike. The game just felt faster and more dynamic. Those patch days were a bitch with a 56k modem ;)
3. Civilization IV ; I don't think I need to say much except one more turn.
4. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory ; One of the best MP shooters of all time and it was free. The classes all had something worthwhile to add to the overall fight and the design offered some nice tactics. The dynamic naturally moving frontline was a genius idea.
5. Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising ; The huge battles of the base game and its addon were just awesome. The vehicle controls were fairly easy and enjoyable as well as the gunplay. Sniping someone over hundreds of meters, crawling through rice paddies or making a sudden cooperated airlifted attack felt so good.
6. Day of Defeat: Source ; Very well balanced class system with great gunplay and great team based game modes with a dynamic frontline, just as I like it.
7. Gran Turismo 3 ; It's my favorite Gran Turismo. I really got into the series with this entry and skipped the 4th one after playing more on the PC. Have quite fond memories of trying to do the licenses even though I still suck at racing games and of course the rally mode, which was just exceptional. Played the rally mode a lot in split screen years later (2007) again against a good friend of mine when I got my PS2 back.
8. Tekken Tag Tournament ; Made my day 1 purchase of the PS2 worthwhile. The graphics stunned me back then. My favorite Tekken game.
9. Pro Evolution Soccer 5 ; People have fond memories of PES5 for a reason. The gameplay was just king so the missing licenses didn't even matter that much anymore.
10. Call of Duty ; I mainly played MP games during this era. The tried the SP of several shooters but dropped the mode early most of the time. Call of Duty was different though as the presentation was so immersive for the time. The whole Russian campaign was somewhat derivative of the movie Enemy at the Gates but I just loved it.

Honorable mentions:
x. Command & Conquer: Generals ; I lost interest in the series after a myriad of releases but Generals got me back with its modern theme and accessible gameplay.
x. Serious Sam: The Second Encounter ; The coop shooter for LANs back in the days, just mindless fun.
x. Postal 2 ; Of course, the overly absurd violence is the reason I played the game but I remember it being quite funny.
x. Knights of the old Republic ; Game had me hooked until that damned Wookie planet. I just don't like Wookies.
x. Warcraft 3 ; I didn't get into the MP much but I enjoyed the SP. Was a big fan of Starcraft and Warcraft 2 so I had high hopes and I wasn't disappointed. Not big on the hero system though.
x. Need for Speed: Underground ; Street racing and tuning was just cool back then and this game got it all right.
x. Return to Castle Wolfenstein ; Good SP and an even better MP. The latter got one upped by Enemy Territory though.

And yes, I mainly played shooters in that era :p

1. Diablo 2; Where to begin? Saying Diablo 2 is a masterpiece would be short and sweet but would not properly explain why this is my #1 game of the generation. Diablo 2 was a massive improvement over the original Diablo's gameplay, scope, replayability, and story. The music and atmosphere matched, and sometimes exceeded, its predecessor. 3 of the 4 acts it launched with were larger, more detailed, and more varied than all of Diablo 1. More character classes, more items, more enemies, more spells, more everything, and it managed to be somewhat balanced and more polished than the original. 15 years later, this is still the king of the genre.

2. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City; improved in every way over GTA 3's open world mechanics. Amazing soundtrack, which I won't go into as everyone already raves about it. The city was big for the time but still a manageable size that you could explore tons of nooks and crannies for hidden items and easter eggs. Even though it may be technically eclipsed by GTA:SA, it had more heart and soul.

3. Half Life 2; While certain parts of Half Life 2 are a bit of a slog, this game took no prisoners when it released. The original Half Life defied convention with extensive scripted sequences and intelligent AI. Half Life 2 did the same but in different ways. A new engine with great (for the time) physics, interesting side characters and plot, and of course the gravity gun. What more could you want?

4. Jedi Outcast; The first of 2 Star Wars games on my list, Jedi Outcast was a great return to the Dark Forces Jedi Knight series. Tight controls, great graphic, excellent (if a bit janky) multiplayer and a surprisingly good story made this one of my favorite Star Wars games of all time.

5. Halo; Endless nights in college dorms playing over the LAN cemented my college experience, and that of many others. There were fun console shooters before Halo (Goldeneye comes to mind) but this one defined the system it launched on and made an incredible mark on the generation it was released in.

6. Champions of Norrath; ARPGs on consoles had issues matching the depth of their PC counterparts up until Champions was released. Snowblind Studios expanded on what they had learned from Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and added online multiplayer, some item customization, as well as 4 player couch coop. A gem.

7. God of War 2; God of War 2 was spectacle distilled into game format. This pushed the PS2 further than anyone thought possible and provided deep gameplay if the player was skilled enough. Like a lot of games on my list, this sequel surpassed its predecessor.

8. Star Wars Battlefront 2; Some folks prefer Battlefront 1 to 2, but this is my list, and I'm going with 2. Battlefront 2 had completely over powered jedi special characters (which in my opinion were fun), and quite a few new maps. Both Battlefront games are great, but Battlefront 2 takes the cake.

9. Super Smash Bros. Melee; 4 player competitive chaos - the defining game for the Nintendo Gamecube (in my opinion of course).

10. Gran Turismo 4; Beautiful graphics, tons of courses, cars, and events. A simulation racer to end all simulation racers in this console generation.

T.O.P

Banned
1. Half Life 2; first experience with Steam was awful, then i actually ended up being able to play this and minds were blown, new standards were set that day
2. Resident Evil 4; still one of the most enjoyable tps of all time, the village at the beginning is something to never forget
3. Metroid Prime; first 3d metroid...and holy shit if they nailed it, unmatched atmosphere
4. Silent Hill 2; still has to be topped as THE horror experience
5. Halo 2;
6. Max Payne;
7. NFS:U2;
8. F.E.A.R.;
9. Max Payne 2;
10.Halo Combat Evolved;

to be edited

LX_Theo

Banned
WOQ1fMb.png

1. Persona 4 ; I've played Persona 4 Golden multiple times and own/have played the rerelease of the PS2 version they put on PSN. The game is amazing, with the schedule system, social link system, and traditional SMT dungeon/fusion mechanics only making the great storytelling and character feel that much more alive. The music is the best in any game.
PqxnSy3.png

2. Shadow of the Colossus ; Shadow of the Colossus is one of those games that really pushed forward the industry as a medium. It truly captured the ability to tell a tragic story through actions and atmosphere. In video games, this is a true accomplishment, as these actions do an amazing job of getting you involved and making you feel invested in the storytelling device itself.
7WpuQ8J.png

3. Kingdom Hearts 2 ; Kingdom Hearts is a weird series to me. I'm a big fan, but the only one I've ever finished was Kingdom Hearts 2 (multiple times). Its the only reason I'm a big fan, and for good reason. Between the combat, charm, and great soundtrack, it simply clicked with me.

And the rest

4. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic ; This was one of my first times playing a game from Bioware. Boy, do they make a good impression with this one. My first real game that made me love stories in gaming.
5. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door ; Its amazing what Nintendo can do when they let their people be original and use their inherent charm to create a world around them.
6. Persona 3 (or Persona 3 FES) ; I own this as the rerelease of the PS2 version for the PS3. In the same vein of Persona 4, it really does capture you and tell a good tales of a great cast of characters. Persona 4 just does it better.
7. Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal ; I did love this series a lot as a kid. Up Your Arsenal was the high point of the original concept being refined and brought to its highest heights. Its also very funny. Oh, Courtney Gears.
8. Ever 17: The Out of Infinity ; I actually got a chance to play this recently on PC. Its one of those games that truly pulls you in with its story and cast of characters. Its purely a visual novel, with a proper mindbending story to give its life threatening situation a great overarching narrative.
9. Sly 2: Band of Thieves ; I love me some Sly Cooper. This one, or 3, were probably the best in the series. Its one of those series that was consistently very good and never disappointed.
10. Guitar Hero 2 ; That first real musical party game hit. "Playing" music, learning of new songs, and just having was a highlight of my time on the PS2. Rock Band later on took over that spot as the best of these, but this was the high point in this generation.

Honorable mentions

x. Luigi's Mansion; One of the unique outing from Nintendo at the time, the game's atmosphere managed well given the Mario style cast.
x. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 - The Sith Lords ; It may have replaced the first game on this list if it was actually done when released.
x. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations ; This has been ported many times (with basically no changes to it besides the general UI), but its still great and the best in the series
x. Tales of Symphonia ; My first Tales game. What did I learn from? I like this franchise. I don't love it, but I certainly want to try a lot more in the franchise now.

Timeaisis

I'm noticing a severe lack of Tony Hawk Pros Skater 3/4 in this thread. IIRC they were some of the highest reviewed PS2 games of all time, and well deserved, too.

LGom09

1. Metroid Prime ; every aspect of this game is incredible from the gameplay to the audiovisual presentation to the level design. It's my favourite game.
2. Shadow of the Colossus ; still unlike anything we've seen in gaming. Perfect amalgamation of mechanics and storytelling.
3. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess ; the most consistently amazing dungeons in the series. Great music, great cast of characters, great sense of adventure.
4. Ninja Gaiden Black ; flawless gameplay coupled with intense and rewarding difficulty.
5. Ikaruga ; beautifully designed game. I just wish there was more of it.
6. Ico ; I don't cry a lot. Ico made me cry.
7. Burnout 3: Takedown ; simply one of the most fun games I've ever played.
8. Pikmin ; I don't think I've played a game with a stronger "just one more turn" feeling than Pikmin and its sequels.
9. Resident Evil 4 ; I need to go back to this game. I think I only played through it once, but I remember being blown away at the time.
10. Guitar Hero II ; I put a stupid amount of time into getting good at this game. I'm pretty much done with plastic instruments, but I can't deny that GHII had its hooks in me.

Honorable Mentions:
x. Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition
x. Metroid Zero Mission
x. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
x. Burnout Revenge
x. F-Zero GX
x. Super Smash Bros. Melee

I'm noticing a severe lack of Tony Hawk Pros Skater 3/4 in this thread. IIRC they were some of the highest reviewed PS2 games of all time, and well deserved, too.

3 was my first PS2 game and I played the heck out of it, yet I always seem to forget it exists until someone mentions it.
Not a game that would make my list but I'd like to think it still plays well.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Resi 4 will probably run away with this, maybe it's just me but I'm surprised with the lack of first placed Half Life 2 mentions.

Timeaisis

It's a really excellent game, I gave it props

Cool, cool. Thank you.

3 was my first PS2 game and I played the heck out of it, yet I always seem to forget it exists until someone mentions it.
Not a game that would make my list but I'd like to think it still plays well.

Yes, I find myself doing the same thing. That's why I thought I'd mention it. I played the crap out of it in my youth. Probably forgot about it because of all those shitty Tony Hawk sequels.

1. We Love Katamari ; While its predecessor was more innovative at the time of its release and equally deserves to make the list, We <3 Katamari is the better game overall. Games like Katamari are the reason why I play videogames. They’re weird, unique games, with crazy visuals and excellent music.
2. Wave Race: Blue Storm ; Really love this game. The weather effects, the bright graphics, the physics, and even the title/loading screens. It’s a shame we’ve really seen nothing like it since.
3. Shadow of the Colossus ; Perfect atmosphere. The best adventure game of the generation.
4. F-Zero GX ; Ridiculously fast racing with excellent graphics and music.
5. Super Smash Bros Melee ; Talk about a sequel done right. Way more characters and stages. Tons of modes and content. Weirder than ever. Really surpassed expectations.
6. Super Monkey Ball 2 ; While I enjoy singleplayer a little more in the original, the party games are better in the sequel. One of those games you always crack out at a party.
7. Super Mario Sunshine ; Mario games are really tough to rank. Sunshine is one of the most flawed entries in the entire series, but also does many things extremely well. Mario controls perfectly. The FLUDD system is fantastic. A brand new setting with plenty of new enemies. Shadow Mario and Mecha Bowser are great bosses. Still, the graphics can be muddy in spots, the difficulty is all over the place, and the camera doesn’t always cooperate the way you’d like it to. It’s the type of game where I equally understand people proclaiming it to be the worst 3d entry or the pinnacle of the series.
8. WarioWare: Twisted ; The best game on the GBA and in the series. The amount and diversity of the minigames is staggering and the gyroscope just adds to the overall enjoyment.
9. Animal Crossing ; There’s no reason for me to ever go back to playing the original Animal Crossing, but I would not feel genuine if I left it off the list. I was addicted to this game when it first came out and so was everyone I introduced it to. Perfect game for relaxation with some NES games to boot.
10. God Hand ; A game with great style that doesn’t take itself too seriously. You’re both punished and rewarded for your skill.

eot

Banned
I'll make a list later, but I'm not seeing enough Deus Ex. Yes that came out in 2000 people!

2. Tactical Ops ; This game got me into the whole mod scene and was my go to shooter for years. I discovered it on a PC magazine disc and installed it. Surprisingly, I had fun with it considering how early the mod has been back then (first release, still known as SWAT). The mod changed completely several times but I was still hooked playing it competitively in a clan more or less successful. Admittedly, it was a Counterstrike knock off but I enjoyed the gunplay so much more than that of Counterstrike. The game just felt faster and more dynamic. Those patch days were a bitch with a 56k modem ;)

I didn't expect to see that. I had a lot of fun with the early versions of the mod, but I think it went to shit later on. There were fun bugs too, like using grenades on barrels to turn them into jump pads. Pretty good on SW-Avail.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
1. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
[I don't think I need to explain myself, this was and still is one of my favourite games of all time, the graphics and cinematic direction of this game was mind blowing, and dat MGS theme]
2. Silent hill 2
[ psychological horror/ tragic love story, and probably the best horror anything made, it is the best in the series and one of the most timeless classics of the generation]
3. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
[I'll have to come back to this to explain why it's not number 1, but if I could I'd tie it with 2 but somethings hold it back from that top spot]
4. GTAIII
[This was the game everyone wanted to make, it had never been done before and was amazing, even today games want to be it]
5. Resident Evil Remake
[Taking a timeless classic that moreorless started the Horror genre and making it bigger better and absolutely stunning, even today it's a bit of a looker, my favourite RE to date]
6. Resident Evil 4
[While I wasn't fond of the direction this has took the series theres no denying the quality of this title, probably one of the best action games made]
7. God of War 2
[When you look the the word "Epic" in the dictionary you see God of War there, this took the PS2 and made it do things people thought wasn't possible, and thats they thought of God of War 1 too]
8. Persona 4
[will update]
9. Zone of the Enders 2: The Second Runner
[will update]
10. GT3 A spec
[will update]

Kai

World of Warcraft (by far most influential)
Halo
Metroid Prime
MGS2
GTA 3
Half Life 2
KOTOR
Smash Bros Melee
Zelda Wind Waker

en0s

Neo Member
I was PC+ps2 only last gen so.... my list:

1) Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines; Atmosphere, ambiance, immersion, these are the things that stand out from VTMB. Rpgs are my favorite and most played genre, and no other rpg I've played has as strong an atmosphere as Bloodlines.

From the electronic and industrial music, to great writing supported by the excellent lore of world of darkness.You play a newly embraced kindred without a sire, thrown in a conflict of vampire clans and gangs warring over Los Angeles, at a time when Gehenna, the prophesied end of the vampires, is rumored to be on the horizon. All this while trying to keep hold of your humanity, avoiding the church and vampire hunters, contending with other creatures of the night, and keeping up the Masquerade! It is dark, sleazy, a bit creepy, some parts outright horror, and there is a pervading sense of doom.

The leveling system encourages the non-fighting paths very well as XP is the same whether you kill a 100 enemies or none. There are 7 clans to choose from and each will significantly change how you experience the game. 2 clans are fighters, 2 are conversationalists, 1 is magic, 1 is stealth, and the last 1 is madness. The Malkavian is the best character I've ever played

2) Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne; the campaign and multiplayer are already good, with the finale of Reign of Chaos being quite memorable, but what makes this an all time favorite is the mod/custom map support. WC3 introduced the "hero" unit on rts games. Units that have to be managed like rpg characters, with skills, stats and equipment. This was the basis for the many mods/maps that followed. I easily spent 1 to 2 years playing nothing but this back in college, either alone or with friends

Some of our favorites maps/modes were dota (which is now a full blown popular genre), there were hero defense maps (basically horde mode on some multiplayer console games), tower defense, a combination of tower and hero (like orcs must die/dungeon defenders), there was a dota like game where we controlled tanks, there are full blown rpg and adventure maps with their own stories, survival maps (night of the dead), there was an "evolve" like map where there was 1 monster and the others were allied against it. A lot of genres today were probably born in the WC3 mod scene

3) Shadow of the Colossus; Just wandering that dead land is very memorable

4) Rome Total War; the 1st Shogun is still my favorite and it was the 1st in the series I've played, but I can't deny Rome is better

5) The Sims 2; I started with the 1st sims, but 2 is again just better

6) Icewind Dale; great leveling system + you create your own 6 party members

7) Baldurs Gate 2; a great adventure, lots of quality quests (not fillers/fetch), and Jan Jansen is one of my favorite Bioware characters :)

8) Final Fantasy XII; I personally think a lot of FF games are overrated, but not the 12th which I feel is still underrated. Great flowing battle system and the plot is actually good.

9) Grand Theft Auto San Andreas;

10) Nexus The Jupiter Incident
; strategic space combat that really felt cinematic

Honorable Mentions sorted alphabetically

x. Ace Combat 5:The Unsung War
x. Arcanum:Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
x. Battle Realms
x. Diablo 2
x. God of War
x. Gun
x. ICO
x. Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark
; Should be in the top 10 but I felt there are too many wrpgs there already
x. Psychonauts
x. Rogue Galaxy
x. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
x. Syberia
x. Suikoden 3
x. Suikoden 5
x. The Longest Journey

1. Deus Ex ; This isn't enough space to speak to all its merits. What I will say is how sad it is 15 years after we don't see developers aim for it.
2. Metal Gear Solid 3 ; This game has one problem and it's 1% of the whole game.
3. Resident Evil 4 ; This is a game best summed up by a scene where its main character throws a knife at an imp Napoleon mid-sentence. That knife is thrown back at you, and it's game over if you can't dodge it.
4. God Hand ; This is a ball-bustingly hard game. It's hard...but fair. Its style is impetuous. Its defense is impregnable.
5. The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind ; This is a game captured wonder like few do. In my mind, it is the harder I've been sold into playing a role.
6. Battlefield 1942 ; This is the multiplayer game I spent the most time with.
7. Grand Theft Auto Vice City ; This is quaint in 2015. Lock-on aiming, clumsy driving, no checkpoints, can't swim. With all its dated gameplay, I can go back and appreciate it for its gaudy 80's theme, a city whose alleys I can navigate blindfolded, and the best characters and missions of the series.
8. Gitaroo Man ; This is the best rhythm game of all time.
9. Halo Combat Evolved ; This is the game that sold me on an Xbox. Despite its crutches to work for a console audience, I adored this game when I played it. I adored it when I bought it again on PC. Some of my best game related memories were in legendary co-op.
10. The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker ; This is here to have a Zelda game on the list. Truthfully, it disappointed me in 2002 and in subsequent playthroughs. If I hadn't played Twilight Princess on the Wii, it would take its place and sit higher.

Being the best time for gaming I attempted to keep it simple by limiting one per franchise and later per genre. Couldn't manage the second one. Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution or Super Smash Bros Melee are missing as fighting game. Project Gotham Racing 2, F-Zero GX, and SSX3 missing for racing. Shadow of the Colossus or Maximo aren't there for platformers. Zelda Minish Cap, Metroid Zero Mission, and Castlevania Aria of Sorrow for GBA games. Plenty more were left out and there's no way to be happy with choosing only ten. I went for a balanced list.

Timeless

1. Super Smash Bros. Melee ; My understanding of SSBM has changed over the years but my enjoyment has not. It went from my single-player game of choice to entirely a multiplayer game for me, but that's only because I played so much of the single player there was hardly anything left to do. I am not heavily invested in mastering the Melee gameplay, neither are my friends. But we play and have fun. Smash on Wii U could learn a lesson from this game. The single-player is fun, unlike Smash 4.
2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence ; I argue that MGS3 and MGS3: S should be counted as the same game. Anyway, Subsistence is the better game. The camera control is the only must-have feature from MGS3: S that isn't in Snake Eater. The rest is just a bonus. Although I finished MGS3 as its HD version and think that is *the* way to play it, MGS3: S is so much fun that the graphics hardly matter.
3. Gyakuten Saiban 3 ; (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations) An imported game. I live in the USA. I only played the Nintendo DS version and a small bit of a fan translation for the GBA game (which was cancelled when the real translation was announced), but I have no reason to believe there are significant differences between the GBA and DS versions, besides sound and graphical quality.
4. Metal Gear Solid 2: Subsistence ; MGS2: S is a game I actually did finish on the PS2 version rather than in MGS HD Collection. MGS2 is one of the smartest game sequels ever. It
does what Bioshock Infinite did, but better, and years before Infinite came out
. The controls are better than MGS1 and the story is insane in all the right ways. Even a mediocre book is better-written than MGS2, but no book lets you stuff guards in lockers or shoot them with tranquilizer darts.
5. Pokémon Emerald ; Refines Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire. R&S have some flaws (30% of the map being water, some badly-designed Pokemon), but I give it the benefit of the doubt for doing its own thing rather than adhering to the Pokemon Red & Blue formula that Pokemon Gold & Silver just copied outright. The initial screenshots blew my mind as a kid - the water had REFLECTIONS! Besides, G&S's defenders refuse to acknowledge what an empty slog the second half of the game is. The Mach Bike and Trick House are fun. Secret Bases are a great idea that are impossible to use.
6. Cave Story ; Cave Story+ is the best way to play this now, but CS is essentially the same game. One can import this over the Internet even though it's from Japan and I'm in the USA. CS's only issue is its difficulty and opacity. Some people like that, but I don't. It needed more save points and more hints. But with a guide it hardly matters.
Hell
is impossible. I only beat it with cheats.
7. Super Monkey Ball 2 ; So much content and a great core game.
8. Pikmin ; A speedrunner's dream. I don't speedrun, but I love playing Pikmin and beating it in under 30 days. It feels like I'm breaking the law.
9. RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 ; Better gameplay than RCT1.
10. We Love Katamari ; Fleshed out the design of its predecessor and most of the levels are fun. The other game had the better soundtrack but this has more variety of missions.
x. Rhythm Tengoku ; Should have made it to the USA. Imported.
x. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance ;
x. WarioWare: Twisted! ;
x. Dance Dance Revolution Extreme ; (Arcade) Kind of a shit game solely because of it being made to make money in an arcade rather than be a fun game. But regardless of its evil game design it's fun to play.
x. Animal Crossing ; No future Animal Crossing game was as good as this one. Better conversations and better things to do. NES games. Come on.

1. Shadow of the Colossus ; It goes without saying, this is one was a marvel for it's use of mechanics, visuals and storytelling. Using the strengths of the medium to tell a story through play and visuals. Compelling, with unmatched spirit and dignity.

2. Morrowind ; A sprawling lore and a truly alien fantasy setting made this one utterly memorable. A game like Morrowind could be played with VR and no combat, because of the virtual tourist attraction it was. An epic

3. Grand Theft Auto 3 ; I had played GTA 2 (and GTA retroactively), preceeding this - but to be the last of my friends to play this game was horrendous. The infinite possibilities the game seemingly offered were beyond anything an open world had demonstrated before. It was also the simplest and most honest GTA, and despite Vice City being amazing too, it offered a really good story with character vignettes, as opposed to a huge sweeping story of retribution.

4. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory ; Looking past the Clancy set dressing, and ultimately the series worst distraction - reveals some superbly charismatic characters and a grimy spy story. It was visually superb, and with it matches a soundtrack that any game could be proud of.

5. The Sims ;

6. Sim City 4 ;

7. Gran Turismo 3 ;

8. Burnout 2: Takedown ;

9. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time ;

10. Rome Total War ;

I'll get back to descriptions soon.

Duxxy3

1. Half Life 2 ; Probably the only game from this era that I would have in my top 5 of all time. The rest of this are great games, but this is the only all time great game.

2. Gran Turismo 3 ; This is still my favorite racing game of all time. By far my most played racing game. GT sequels still have impressed me less than 3.

3. Grand Theft Auto Vice City ; For me this is still the best GTA game. The world wasn't too small or too big. It had a great story with a wonderful cast. Oh yeah, and it has the greatest soundtrack of all time.

4. Halo ; I played FPS games on my PC for years before this game, but this was the first FPS on consoles that I took seriously. I still hold the Halo series as my gold standard for console shooters.

5. World of Warcraft ; 10,000 hours. That is how much time I sunk into this game over many years. No other game compares in terms of hours played. Second place would not even be 10% of WoW's total playtime.

6. Metal Gear Solid 3 ; The greatest MGS game ever made. The final scene still gets to me.

7. Resident Evil Remake ; It is rare for a game to excite me so much that I would buy a console JUST to play it. REmake was one of those games.

8. Diablo 2 ; There is only one game I have played more than Diablo 2. World of Warcraft.

9. Call of Duty ; Lot of PC games on this list. For its time, the original CoD was the greatest WW2 FPS. This sneaks in over CoD 2.

10. Final Fantasy X ; The last good Final Fantasy game that I played.

Wait, wait, wait. They're not counted as the same game?
I believe that they are when it comes down to it based on what AniHawk posted earlier.

for those (and other games with small changes like shenmue ii dc/xbox and updates like skies of arcadia/skies of arcadia legends, mgs 3 snake eater/subsistence, and ninja gaiden/ninja gaiden black), i'll probably make a note when people list the different versions, but count them as one game in the final listing.

ozfunghi

Very difficult for me, because there are a few games i have very fond memories of, and i would rate them close to eachother. Also, depending on my mood, the order will change. I also didn't end up putting the "best" games on top, but rather the games that gave me the most joy to play, or impacted my life in some way.

1/ Animal Crossing: this was such a refreshing experience, it took me by surprise and dominated my life for 5 to 6 weeks non-stop for nearly 24 hours a day. Maybe not the "best" game per se, but the game that had the biggest impact in my life.

2/ Resident Evil 4: What a rush. This may also not be the best game per se, from my list, but it was a definitely the most fun. A real rollercoaster. And because the insane amound of content coming at you at such a fast pace, the game gives the impression of being a lot longer than it actually was. In a good way.

3/ Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door: Funny, charming, refreshing, funny, clever and very very funny. This game was adorable and, just like Animal Crossing and WindWaker, brings a smile to my face, just thinking about it, or hearing the soundtrack.

4/ Metroid Prime: This game blew me away. The atmosphere, the gameplay that just "made sense". From many perspectives, i think Metroid Prime was the best game i played during that generation, but the games i rated higher, just gave me more "joy". And yet... Phendrana's Drift... shivers down my spine.

5/ The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker: I would have thought i would have rated this higher, but looking back, this seems about right. The game is solid, and Outset Island (and its soundtrack) have a place in my heart and memories for the rest of my live, but the game really excells in the visual department. Graphic style, animations, facial expressions... they all made the game much more alive, but ultimately, those other games, are "better" on many gameplay mechanics.

6/ Skies of Arcadia: I only played the Dreamcast version, and while i agree the random battles (which you couldn't avoid) were frustrating, they also made it "feel" a bit like an actual battle. In a good way. It was a real undertaking, and together with Xenoblade, probably my favorite RPG, with interesting settings. Still get the chills when i hear "Uninhabited Island".

7/ Jet Grind Radio: Ooh baby. This was one sexy game. Graphics, music, and it could kick you in the balls when need be. Great fun.

8/ Burnout 2: Granted, i only played Burnout 3 a couple of times on my buddy's PS2, but i prefered and played the crap out of Burnout 2. Nothing beats the feeling of drifting your way around mountaintops while keeping the burnout trigger pulled non-stop.

9/ Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3:
Ok, I only played the second and the third game from the series, but 3 was one solid game and fun to boot.

X/ honerable mentions: Instead of putting up one game in spot 10, i think it's better to just list a bunch of games that somehow deserve to be in the top 10, like Smash Bros Melee, Eternal Darkness, Metroid Zero Mission, REmake, RE Code Veronica, Pikmin 2, Grandia 2, Tales of Symphonia, Super Monkeyball, F-Zero GX, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, REZ, Ikaruga, Time Splitters 2...

Kangi

1. Super Mario Sunshine ; Flawed? Yes. Extremely fun and memorable? Also yes.
2. Kirby Air Ride ; City Trial was local multiplayer perfection.
3. World of Warcraft ; The beginning of an empire.
4. Animal Crossing: Population Growing ; Still the best Animal Crossing.
5. Super Smash Bros. Melee ; Not my favorite Smash Bros. entry, but it holds loads of nostalgia for me.
6. Need for Speed: Underground 2 ; Racers don't get better.
7. Mario Kart: Double Dash!! ; Kart racers don't get better.
8. Tales of Symphonia ; JRPGs are one of my least favorite genres, but every now and again, there's a very notable exception.
9. Goblin Commander: Unleash the Horde ; Nobody remembers this, do they? Regardless, tons of fun and increased my interest in RTS.
10. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door ; Needs no explanation.

x. SoulCalibur II ; Didn't quite make it, but still one of my favorite fighting games.
x. RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 ; A blast to play, but so many things were a step down from the previous entries.
x. War of the Monsters ; Justified owning a PS2. A bit wonky, but fun.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
1. Sid Meier's Civilization IV ; Best version of possibly the best strategy game of all time.

2. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess ; While the Wii-version in my eyes is better, this one is still amazing and one of the best games ever.

3. Shadow of the Colossus; Best Sony-made game ever. Have no filler, just amazing and unique fight after fight.

4. Metal Gear Solid 2 ; The best Metal Gear with the best realization of the Metal Gear-gameplay so far, and also the most crazy story.

5. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory ; Mechanically better than MGS2, but lacks its flair. The gameplay is the best in the genre though.

6. F-Zero GX ; Fastest and hardest racer ever.

7. Metroid Prime ; Perfect realization of Metroid in 3D

8. Wario Land 4 ; Very underrated game that in my opinion is one of the all-time greatest plattformers. Got a huge book written about its mechanics.

9. Yakuza ; A great jrgp set in modern tokyo with very fun and challenging gameplay, and also decent story.

10. Super Mario Sunshine ; Almost plattformer perfection. Has a few boring tasks, but most of the game is stellar.

x. Metroid: Zero Mission ;
x. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker ;
x. The Longest Journey ;
x. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind ; .
x. ICO ;
x. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow ;
x. Metroid Fusion ;
x, Resident Evil 4 ;
x. Metal Gear Solid 3
x. Pikmin
x. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
x. Okami
x. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
x. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
x. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent
x. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
x. Half-Life 2
x. Beyond Good and Evil
x. Halo: Combat Evolved
x. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
x. Europa Universalis II
x. Diablo II
x. The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
x. Victoria: An Empire Under the Sun
x. Deus Ex

Schryver

1. Metroid Prime ; Slightly cheating since I have only played the Wii version but since the controls are the only real difference...Wow such an amazing gaming experience. I am actually planning to replay this and then get around to the sequels very very soon. I haven't even played a 2D Metroid before but the sense of exploration and environment/puzzle design in Prime is second to none. My dream is to emulate/pay homage to it all in a videogame of my own someday.

2. Shadow of the Colossus ; Amazing. I played this well after it came out so the insane sense of scale wasn't quite as astonishing as it would have been but this is still one of the greatest games I have ever played. The minimalist story and mechanics work so wonderfully when combined with the world and colossus design.

3. Half-Life 2 ; Great level design and the gravity gun introduced some fun and awesome mechanics.

4. Halo 2 ; The campaign isn't nearly as good as in Halo:CE but the multiplayer was amazing and I played waaaay too much of it when I was in high school.

5. Halo: Combat Evolved ; I could replay this game's campaign forever. Never got around to playing a whole lot of multiplayer but I know how much fun it was.

6. Splinter Cell ; This game blew my mind back when it came out. The graphics and lighting were so good and the fact that you could affect the lighting was mind-blowing to me. Was the first stealth game I played as well. I really need to try Chaos Theory one of these days.

7. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic ; One of the few RPGs I have played and actually beaten. I'm not even a Star Wars fan but this game had such a good story/ writing and I loved visiting the different planets.

8. World of Warcraft ; Came a little later to the bandwagon but since the game was still fundamentally the same then as it was when it came out l will include it. Spent so much time playing that I had to finally quit a year ago. So much to do and the zones are all so unique and beautiful.

* I really haven't played the vast majority of the titles that most people will be putting on their lists but I am slowly and steadily working on correcting that this year. Can't wait to see the results so that I can prioritize those games better. Metal Gear Solid 2/3...soon

With so many great games, I decided that the way to make my list would be to list the games that still are the best of their kind, at least in some aspect. The games that I can point to today and without hesitation say to play them before any other games in their series or maybe even genre.

Also: In this ballot there be spoilers

Without further ado, the definitive, disagree-and-you're-wrong best of the generation:

1. Resident Evil 4 ; In it's genre, it's still better than anything before it or after. It has better pacing, better game mechanics, better variety, better just about everything. When this was playable at E3, I played it every day. On the last day, they literally had to pull the plug from the machines before I stopped. Today, it still stands as a monument, a challenge that has yet to be overcome. Games like The Last of Us may have surpassed it in presentation, but when it comes to play, they're honestly not even in the discussion. Then it went and included Mercenaries mode, a side game that was still better than the vast majority of games released that generation or even last generation.

2. Silent Hill 2 ; BioShock. Portal. Dead Space. Gone Home. The topic of environmental storytelling has been a hot topic since at least the days of Myst. But to this day it still hasn't been done as well as Silent Hill 2. More effectively than any other game, even in its own series, Silent Hill 2 captured the psyche of the main character and told us a story through his environment. Every room told a story about James, about his guilt, his conscience, and his relationship with his wife. Nowadays, to get the point across, games will typically stick you with a sidekick NPC that might as well be named Morgan Freeman with how baldly "the point" and the significance of everything is said to you. That, or they litter audiotapes of characters recording messages to the player in a way that is completely incoherent with the game world. Silent Hill 2 was all about everything fitting in place and ultimately respecting the player. Something that games all too often fail to do these days.

3. Metroid Prime ; Speaking of environmental storytelling, here's another game that exhibits incredible mastery of it. The main difference between this game and Silent Hill 2 is the sense of empowerment you get as you familiarize yourself with the world. The intruder becomes the hunter. With some of the best music ever composed for a videogame, incredible visuals designed to immerse you (the visor effects are still cool as hell), and elegant solutions to platforming in first-person, and shooting in what is really an exploration/puzzle game, Metroid Prime set the bar for first person exploration and still hasn't been matched. AniHawk, my apologies.

4. Sid Meier's Civilization IV ; The best Civ game.
formerly: Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri ; The recent release of Beyond Earth really made me appreciate even more how special Alpha Centauri was. The worldbuilding in this game is stunning -- one of the best works of science fiction, including novels, films, and so on. The tweaks to the standard "Civ" formula worked out to be even better than Civ itself and encouraged a diverse set of playstyles. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back. The drones need me. They look up to me.

5. F-Zero GX ; Simply put, there isn't a better futuristic racer on this earth. For my money, it's actually the best racer ever, bar none. In a way, it actually reminds me of Punchout in the later rounds. This is a game that demands perfection at every moment, that pushes you to get better. And when you climb that summit, when you attain it, it's all due to your own will and skill. This game gives you nothing; you must take it. And when you finally do, you truly feel like a god.

6. Shadow of the Colossus ; One of the few truly majestic games out there. It takes a simple concept -- take down giant bosses -- and makes the whole game about it, and it's better for it. By shedding all the other meaningless crap, time is created; Time for the creators to focus on making those monstrous battles as impactful as possible, and time for you between battles to wander, to explore, to reflect. This is a game that revels in wilderness, that feels so melancholic and empty that it seeps into your soul. The central mechanic of this game -- holding on, against impossible odds -- is a perfect metaphor for what the character is going through emotionally, and what sets this game apart from the rest. The finale strikes hard with that metaphor, in a moment of pure beauty.

7. Beyond Good and Evil ; A little uneven (the insta-fail sections are still kind of bogus to me) but the characters and world is sublime.
formerly: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess; A slow opening is made completely worth it by the best side character in the Zelda series, and the best collection of dungeons in the series on top of it. It doesn't reach the heights of the Zelda greats -- the ending isn't as good as Ocarina's, the mood isn't as good as Majora's, and so on -- but at least in dungeons, this game is on top. Combine it with a fantastic soundtrack and a nod to westerns that made me grin ear-to-ear, and this deserves a spot on the list.

8. F.E.A.R. ; For some reason, shooters today still haven't figured out how to make combat feel as good as this game. Shooting guys never felt so fucking awesome as it does in this game. Hearing troops flank you, hearing the chunky sound of bullets and explosions in slow-motion, and the clean, functional arenas make playing this game a joy. Everything is so weighty that it feels practically tangible. And there's still no better feeling than pinning dudes to the wall with your nail gun. I don't know why more games can't get the feedback right, but damn does this game feel amazing.

9. Grandia II ; This game made a constant companion to my Dreamcast for the entire time I had it. With its likable cast of characters, its big, clean graphics, and the best battle system ever put in a RPG, this game charmed the hell out of me. Yes, the story is generic, but the rest was so good that I didn't care.

10. Katamari Damacy ; One of the most joyful experiences of the generation, and there was really nothing else like it. The mechanics are simple and inviting, and they're something anybody can understand and get into. Everything from the visuals to the music is infectious, you want to roll it all up into your life. The later games lost the magic charm for me, but this game will always hold a place in my heart.

x. Civilization IV ; It's a fantastic game, and realistically it's number eleven on my list, but I had to bump it because I'd still rather play Alpha Centauri.

x. Animal Crossing ; I have such damn fond memories of this game, playing with dormmates. It pretty much invented its own genre, which can't be dismissed. But it was also surpassed with later entries. I can't say to play it today, which bumped it down to honorable mention.

x. Battlefield 2 ; The last time Battlefield was truly incredible to me. Every game is trying to recapture the lost magic of this game.

x. Super Smash Bros. Melee ; I really wanted to keep this up there, but it's been surpassed by Smash 4. And it didn't invent the genre like Smash 64 did.

x. Killer7 ; Incredible but ultimately too flawed for the Top 10. Still, it's Suda51's second-best game, right behind No More Heroes. This game should be ported to Wii or Wii U already with updated controls. Come on.

x. Halo 2 ; There was a lot of online bullshit with this game, but that almost added to the thrill. I loved the ranking system, I loved the map designs. This was Halo when it still felt somewhat raw, when things could be abused in a way that was still fun, and was still a complete thrill ride. Landing a sticky on a guy's face is still as fun as it is a double entendre.

x. Mother 3 ; One of the most beautiful stories ever told in a game. Proof that you don't need the fanciest graphics to leave a huge impression or tell a good story.

x. Shenmue ; It's hard to think of worlds I'd rather get back to than this one. This was an eye-opening, immersive experience. It somehow made the mundane feel magical.

Top Bottom