• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games o' the Generation (DC/PS2/GBA/GC/Xbox/PC 2000-2005) Voting Closed

Grief.exe

Easily my favorite period in gaming, condensing this down to 10 is just
i0UGYLxYPJmIU.png

My favorite period of gaming as well, going to be difficult.

Wait... GAF never voted for 6th gen GOTGs?

Why are we only just now getting around to this?

It's good to let these things digest for a few years. Subsequent replies and newer games in the genre can really shed light on whether a game is truly great or a flash in the pan.

I use Skyrim as a good example of this. The year it launched the game premiered in the top five of GAF's essential RPG list, since that point it has fallen out of the top 30.

Floridian

My Definitive 6th Gen List;
1. Super Smash Bros Melee (Gamecube); My favorite fighting game of all time, released in the golden year of 2001, this was my first game that I played on the gamecube, and I couldn't be anymore lucky to experience it. I still play it to this game, and proven how popular it is with the EVO competitions, it has the most replayability out of the games I've played. Pikachu, Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, Bowser, Fox, Peach, Samus, Falcon,etc, all these playable characters were like a dream to me. It hasn't aged a bit for me, the mechanics are near perfect and polished, and it was my first multiplayer experience.
2. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (Gamecube); My favorite RPG of all time, released in another golden year; 2004, made me actually interested in the story elements that it offered. It's one of those rare games where both Story and Gameplay were captivating for me. The entire cast of playable characters are likeable, and the game has tons of unexpected humor and clever dialogue. It's the best game in the series, and no other JRPG has come close in giving me that experience. Divided into 8 chapters, the adventure and twist-n-turns that occurred throughout was very fun to experience.
3. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 (Playstation 2); My favorite extreme sport game of all time, another 2001 golden release, was the peak of the tony hawk proskater series in my opinion. The mechanics and gameplay I heavily enjoyed and with that combined with one of the best soundtracks, It's the definitive skating game.
4. Burnout 3: Takedown (Xbox); My favorite racing game of all time, another 2004 golden release, *notice the trend here with these being my favorites of its genre and years it released in*, was sort of a similar experience with my no.3; Awesome soundtrack, polished racing mechanics. Road Rage and Crash mode is what separates the other racing games for me as it's just pure fun and chaos. The graphics/physics for its time still looks great to me, and makes crashing even fun to witness.
5. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (Playstation 2); Released in the golden year of 2004, for its time it was the definitive GTA game for me. Rockstargames is one of my favorite developers, and it's because of their ability of creating open world games. The adventures of C.J and his struggles were very relatable, and the emphasis of gang culture was spot on imo. Compared to vice city and III, the map was very huge. It's to be recognized as the best open world game of the 6th generation.
6. Pokemon Emerald Version (Gameboy Advance); The definitive version of the 3rd generation of Pokemon, the emerald version surprisingly had more than just a few twists and additions compared to the ruby/sapphire version. It introduced to us the Battle Frontier, an upgraded and more competitive version of the previous Battle Tower. I chose this version because it did a better job of emphasizing double battles, gave more of a backstory for the Legendary Pokemon Rayquaza, and included gym rematches. It influenced later titles in the series with gym rematches and the installment of the battle frontier. It's in my top three most favorite Pokemon games of all time.
7. Super Mario Sunshine (Gamecube); The 2nd installment of my favorite series of games; 3D mario, created a tropical adventure for mario. I enjoyed the hub world of Isle Delfino and the open space that it offered. It had the best 3D platforming of its generation, especially in levels where Fludd wasn't available, and the inclusion of FLUDD didn't hinder the game experience for me. Although it does have its moments of awkward camera angles, it didn't overall detract the game experience for me. The graphics and water physics are still exceptional for this time, and I feel it's underrated as far as platforming goes.
8. Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 (PC); When I was younger, I had a fascination with roller coasters. When I played the original roller coaster tycoon, it was fun for a bit, but I wasn't really interested in sticking around for it. That all changed when the 3rd installment came in, when it became 3D, allowing a more immersive experience for me. I was really addicted in making attempts to make the most realistic theme parks possible. I was dedicated in looking up other ideas and projects that others created. This game made me feel like a game designer in a kind of way. I got to control what rides were made, when they were open, what merchandise, food, and outlets were available for my visitors. The first person mode option allowed me to be immersed in my own theme park creation, so that when I played it, it felt incredible.
And crashing roller coaster parts into visitors is still very fun. lol, don't judge me it's a videogame. look at the gif.
9. Call of Duty 2 (Xbox); I personally love the WWII era of shooters, and i'm a bit disappointed by the trend being dead now. I struggled between this and Big Red One as my no.9 because I love them both, but I went with 2 , because in the end, it felt more than an expansion pack. I enjoyed each of the campaigns, and the single player has never gotten stale with me. The multiplayer was also stellar, and is the 2nd best game in the series.
10. Wave Race: Blue Storm (Gamecube); This last entry was edited like 5 times, but I'd regret it if I didn't include Wave race in my top ten. Although it was a launch title, it succeeded in giving me an immersive racing experience. I was impressed with how different weather conditions affected the environment, and the water physics was ahead of its time.

Honorary mentions;
x- Call of Duty 2; Big Red One
x- Luigi's Mansion
x- Tak 2 and the Staff of dreams
x- XGIII; Extreme G Racing
x- Enclave
x- Resident evil 4
x- Destroy all humans 1 and 2
x- Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
x- World of Warcraft
x- Tony Hawk Pro skater 2

Jamix012

I'd have at least 20-30 honourable mentions, so I'm going to hold off. Here's my preliminary list, subject to lots of change.

1. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker ; I don't think I could justify anything else at number one. It really is one of the greatest looking and most fun games to just enjoy. It's not perfect, by any means, but it's definitely my top choice. The Wii U version is better, but this game has it's own charm with it's style and the tingle tuner.
2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence ; It's a shame, to me the PS2 is pretty redundant these days. All of my favourite games from it were ported and look and play far better. MGS3 is no exception, but that doesn't stop it from being an absolutely incredible experience from begginning to end, perfectly blending story and revolutionary stealth gameplay.
3. Persona 4 ; Again, like MGS3 this game is substantially better on another system, but it's still a masterpiece here. The characters and mechanics of the game blend so god damn well that it'd be a crime to not put it on here.
4. F Zero GX ; And now for something completely different, this is the first game on the list that hasn't yet received an improved port somewhere else. Still waiting on that Nintendo! A bloody hard game that feels more rewarding than any game I've ever played.
5. Baten Kaitos Origins ; Fuck Xenoblade (ok, don't. It's still an amazing title), this game is Monolith soft's best game. It's incredible from beginning to end and has my favourite battle system in any RPG ever.
6. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes ; The second best MGS game was actually a remake. I understand the hate for this one, but it's just better in almost every way for me than the original. They took the goofy humour of MGS1 and amplified it by 10, but I guess that's what people don't like.
7. Sonic Adventure 2: Battle ; I guess I should vote for Battle? IDK, either way, I still don't really get why people hate this game. Sonic controls amazingly and the Chao Garden is addicting fun. The cheesy story is just the icing on the cake.
8. Viewtiful Joe ; Kamiya's masterpiece. This is the best 2D action game ever made and one of the games I feel like I can actually play well after all these years. He'd go onto Bayonetta and Wonderful 101, which were both great games in my eyes, but nothing could top VJ for me.
9. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap ; This is absolutely my favourite 2D Zelda. Maybe it should be higher...I don't know. Still this game introduced the kinstone fusion mechanic! Never, since Majora's Mask, has the game felt more alive to me than with these fusions that really chance the entire game.
10. Metroid Fusion ; 10 Games is really not enough now that I've remembered GBA games existed. Christ, Fusion is the 2nd most tense I've ever been playing a 2D game and it's masterful in its execution.

Grief.exe

Are these games eligible?

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (Dreamcast version)
Resident Evil Remake (Gamecube)

There are stipulations in the rules that should specifically allow for REmake

Ports, compilations, and remakes of games from previous generations may be included.

Beyond that, REmake is not only considered to be one of the best remakes of all time, but also one of the best games. Just played it for the first time last week and I have to agree with the sentiments.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
There are stipulations in the rules that should specifically allow for REmake

Beyond that, REmake is not only considered to be one of the best remakes of all time, but also one of the best games. Just played it for the first time last week and I have to agree with the sentiments.
Yeah, I think it should be, but I'm just making sure. I wasn't certain if "may" here was "is eligible" or "may be eligible", so to speak.

Jamix012

Adding text/images/gifs momentarily. List not final

1. Super Smash Bros Melee;
2. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door;
3. Tony Hawk Pro skater 3;
4. Burnout 3: Takedown;
5. Call of Duty 2: Big Red One;
6. Pokemon Crystal;
7. Super Mario Sunshine;
8. Roller Coaster Tycoon 3;
9. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas;
10. Destroy all humans! 2;

Nice list, but I don't think Crystal is eligible.

yes to both. please state which version of the game it is in your list though, please. added to op.

What about games like Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle which are essentially the same game but with very minor changes?

AniHawk

What about games like Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle which are essentially the same game but with very minor changes?

for those (and other games with small changes like shenmue ii dc/xbox and updates like skies of arcadia/skies of arcadia legends, mgs 3 snake eater/subsistence, and ninja gaiden/ninja gaiden black), i'll probably make a note when people list the different versions, but count them as one game in the final listing.

McNum

McNum's Top 10 Best Games of the 6th Generation

1. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty ; No one was prepared for Metal Gear Solid 2. It is, in my opinion, one of the greatest examples of a video game ever made. This game couldn't be anything BUT a video game. From the very first trailer release, the game starts messing with your expectations. Slowly, it gets more and more "wrong", and makes less and less sense. Until it springs the twist on you: It was all on purpose. It was to show just how powerful a tool the manipulation of information and selective censorship really is. And you just got fooled, big-time, but don't feel bad, you were supposed to.

It is a masterstroke of video game story telling, even if it breaks the rules and plays the player for a fool, the "Raiden is the actual main character" twist was incredibly brave, and pulled off magnificently, no one saw it coming. This theme of censorship and information control remains relevant, even today, perhaps especially today with the reveal of just how much we are being monitored thanks to Snowden. And all of that is not even mentioning how the gameplay was a massive upgrade over the Playstation Metal Gear Solid. First person aiming, no-kill playthroughs, smarter enemy soldiers, sometimes dangerously so, and a ton of new moves for Snake and Raiden to do.

I cannot in good conscience, call any other game the game of the generation. This is THE game. Best ever? Probably not, a few of the others on the list play just as well or better, but it has to be Metal Gear Solid 2. It's not even a close contest for me.

2. Super Smash Bros. Melee ; "Super Smash Brotheeeeersss MEEELEEE!!!" And this one actually DOES shout it out. As it SHOULD. An all out upgrade from Super Smash Bros on the Nintendo 64, it had more characters, more stages, more moves per character, a great soundtrack and a snappy movement engine, which has been broken to pieces by now, allowing for a super-fast paced game. It is broken, really. But it broke right. When Melee gets going, it's amazing to watch. It's not my favorite to play in the series, but it is an amazing game, both by design and by accident. Melee is Melee. There was nothing like it, and there will never be another. You just can't do a game like that on purpose.

And it's at EVO again this year. A testament to just how stubborn this game is. Two sequels later, and it's still getting headlines, it's the Street Fighter 2 of its series.

3. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker ; Featuring the cutest Link ever, and a vast open sea full of dangers and treasure, the Wind Waker is a strange departure from the Zelda formula, but a fun one. The art style looked like a moving cartoon, the draw distance was extremely far, thanks to some clever trickery, and the story surprisingly dark compared to the cheery look. This is post-apocalyptic Hyrule, and you don't even get to save it. Some people don't care much for the sailing, but personally, I loved it. Pull out the spyglass, see a spot on the horizon, set sail and investigate. Such a wonderful exploration focused game.

It a divisive entry in the Zelda series (then again, which one isn't?) but I'm a fan of it. It still looks decent enough, the art style was so well chosen compared to the power available in the GameCube.

4. Metroid Prime ; When 3D began to become the thing in gaming, one Nintendo franchise seemed to just vanish. Metroid. A series so dependent on exploration and visual trickery to hide secret passages and items, it seemed like an insurmountable task to make one in full 3D. And then Metroid Prime blasted on to the scene, a first person 3D Metroid and we wondered why we never thought of it, because it just worked. A big interconnected area full of nooks and crannies, different visors to show sneakily hidden passages, different guns and tools to get through, and wonderfully designed boss fights to show off that Samus, while slowed down a bit from her Super Metroid self, was still a force to be reckoned with.

That it came from otherwise unknown new Nintendo acquisition Retro Studios, and looked, played, and sounded so well just added to the surprise. No one expected Metroid Prime, and especially not that it would be THAT good.

5. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance ; This game introduced me to Fire Emblem. And Ike, who is still my favorite Lord of the series. It's fairly standard coming-of-age, defeat the evil empire kind of story, but thanks to a whole host of likable characters it's an enjoyable ride there. Being introduced to Fire Emblem's harsh reality of permadeath the hard way was also quite the eye-opener. Fire Emblem does NOT mess around. Speaking of characters, there is the matter of the Black Knight, who is easily one of the most awesome antagonists in video game history. I mean he calls himself "The Black Knight" and people don't mock him for it. That's how you know he's legit. I actually failed to beat him the first time through, wasn't until a replay last year that I won that fight. Played the entire game just to power up Ike enough that he theoretically COULD win that fight.

Path of Radiance is a nice and simple game, it knows what it is, and uses that to its advantage. But for introducing me to Fire Emblem, it was a great game, and I'm glad I took a chance on it.

6. Skies of Arcadia Legends ; Airships, air pirates, oodles of optimism and fighting spirit enough to power the Gurren Lagann twice over. This is Skies of Arcadia. When most JRPGs took note of Final Fantasy 7 and steered towards more brooding and serious protagonists, Sega gave us Vyse. "Impossible is a word people use to feel better about themselves when they quit." The man who broke out of an inescapable prison... twice. Following him is an endearing cast of characters, notable the Pippi Longstocking look-a-like Aika and the mysterious girl Fina. And it's really this dynamic that keeps the game rolling along, as mechanically the game isn't that interesting. the battle system is passable, but it's somewhat easy to break. Aika's Delta Shield nullifies all magic, which trivializes some fights (and is a requirement for a few optional bosses). the ship to ship fights are interesting, though, and despite you getting a nigh-invincible ship midway through the game, it's still fun to got up against the gigantic ships and monsters you face.

Skies of Arcadia was a sorely needed dose of a high adventure in the skies, it might not be the greatest JRPG, but it was the right game at the right time.

7. The Sims 2 ; The Sims was never supposed to be big, but it was and its sequel took the concept of an everyday life simulator and expanded heavily on it (pun intended). Sims now lived a full life, the got born, they grew up, the had children themselves, they grew old and they died. Sometimes of old age, too. The Sims 2 was a dramatic improvement over its predecessor, more stuff to do, a fully customizable neighborhood (even if you had to make the terrain in SimCity 4) and you were free to try to play the perfect lives, be a cruel god, or make the craziest soap opera plot you could think of. It was your wide open playground, and the lives of these little computer people were yours to make or ruin. All in all, a fun quirky game.

It's just a shame about that inevitable save corrupting bug that never got fixed. Free tip: Do NOT under any circumstance move a Sim from one neighborhood to another.

8. Final Fantasy X ; Honestly, Final Fantasy X is one of m favorite Final Fantasies of the entire series. I just love the world of Spira. I know the common complaints about this one, it's linear, the voice acting could be better, Tidus is annoying in general and so on, but it just does so much right, too, that I'm willing to look past that. Besides, I've heard MUCH worse voice acting. I like the battle system, it's rigid enough to know what's coming, but flexible enough to be creative with it, which a few bosses nearly require you to be, the Sphere Grid is a nice way to level up, and can make your characters super-powerful as well, and the game looked really pretty for its time. The soundtrack was also pretty good, but back then, Final Fantasy soundtracks were always pretty good.

It did suffer from a horrible PAL conversion, though. Like all the Squaresoft games before the Squre-Enix merger did. That Final Fantasy X is STILL in the top ten despite this just shows how good it is.

9. Civilization IV ; Civilization IV is a fantastic 4X game, and the Civ game that finally made the whole 4X thing click for me. It also came with a wonderful manual, as thick as the DVD case, which is just not done anymore. I could go on and on about the depth, the wonderful scope of it all, and how getting nuked by Gandhi never gets old, but to be honest, the biggest reason this game gets the spot over so many worthy candidates vying for these last few spots... is a song. The first Grammy awarded to a video game soundtrack. You all know it, you all love it! All together now:

The Lord's Prayer in Swahili was an inspired choice for a theme song, especially considering Civilization IV's big new feature: Religion.

10. City of Heroes ; Welcome to Paragon City, where YOU are a hero. I had to include this, I spent so much time in Paragon City before the game was shut down. It was a flawed game, but it did a lot of awesome things that was unheard of in MMOs at the time. The sidekick system was a big one, letting players play together despite big level differences by temporarily letting the lower level player have the stats (but not the powers) of a character one level lower than the high level one. Later additions had "Create a story" mode, casual friendly raids, and lots of new powersets. I miss City of Heroes, I would most likely still be playing it if it was still there. I miss my characters, I miss the few vs. many style of combat, I miss the community... and I miss flying.

City of Heroes is not the best game of that generation, but it's the one I miss the most. And that's why it gets the 10th spot here.

Honorable mentions

x. Half-Life 2 ; Does it even need an introduction? You all know Half-Life 2, it's one of the greatest singleplayer FPS games ever... but that was only still enough for an honorable mention.
x. Dragon Quest VIII ; Soooo pretty. This game looked so good, had a great soundtrack, and is a perfected classic JRPG.
x. Viewtiful Joe ; JUST GO FOR IT!!! Sorry, Joe, despite all your Viewtiful-ness, I can't give you more than an honorable mention.
x. Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader ; Could it be one of the best looking games in the generation was actually a launch title? Why, yes, indeed. And that's why it's getting an honorable mention... it STILL looks pretty good.
x. Kingdom Hearts ; Disney crossed with Final Fantasy in one heck of a strange mix. But it just missed the list. Sorry, Donald and Goofy. Might have made it onto the top ten if it had a decent PAL version, but nope.
x. Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast ; Best Jedi game ever. Also a decent shooter, but the lightsaber steals the show.
x. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City ; It opens with a Commodore 64 load screen. How can you not love that?
x. SimCity 4 ; The last great SimCity. What a shame it never got a proper sequel since there was so much promise.
x. Rome: Total War ; Honestly, it's here because I loved the pre-fight speeches the generals did. From the crazy "I want to see blood! I want to BATHE in their blood! I wanted to bathe in their blood for a WEEK!!!" to the smugly confident "I have never lost a defensive fight and I do not intend to start today." it was all good fun.
x. Pokémon Emerald Version ; My first real Pokémon game. I actually still have a few of the Emerald Pokémon on their way from Emerald and into the latest generation. Gardevior lives on!

And I think that's it. Ten entries, ten honorable mentions. I could most likely add another ten honorable mentions to this list, but there has to be a cut-off point somewhere. This was not easy to narrow down this much, though, but here it is. I almost felt bad having to give Half-Life 2 an x, but it came 11th after sorting, so... too bad Gordon.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
q6t20Z1.jpg

1. Metal Gear Solid 3 - Subsistence ; Not only it is the best Metal Gear, not only it is the best stealth game, not only it is the best game of its generation, it is the best game of ALL TIME. Kojima's masterpiece, the story of Big Boss and The Boss is wonderful, its bosses while cheesy are superb. The camouflage system is unique and works extremely well and fits the stealth genre. The voicework is fenomenal, people criticize David Hayter a lot these days, but in this game he really nailed it.

world-of-warcraft-logo-i19.jpg

2. World of Warcraft ; To this day its still the best MMO ever created. Its scale was unlike anything ever seen in the market.

revan_news_top.jpg

3. Star Wars - Knights of the Old Republic ; The supreme Star Wars game, one of the best RPG's of all time.

4. Devil May Cry 3 - Special Edition ; The best stylish action game of its time. The inclusion of Vergil made it even better.
5. Grand Theft Auto - San Andreas ; Still the best GTA game. The scale of the world its just astonishing.
6. Silent Hill 2 ; The best horror game ever created.
7. Resident Evil REmake ; The second best horror game ever created.
8. Call of Duty 2 ; An amazing FPS, its multiplayer was excellent.
9. Star Wars Jedi Knight II ; Solid campaign, amazing lightsaber combat, good multiplayer.
10. Capcom vs SNK 2 ; An amazing cast from both companies. This is the best fighting game i ever played.

AniHawk

Is pokemon crystal eligible?

it's not. i was juggling between having the gbc count and not and figured it was mostly an extension of an earlier era, even though crystal came out in 2001. it's sort of in the same spot final fantasy ix or paper mario would be in.

if we ever do a fifth gen vote, it would definitely be in.

Thanks. Do we have to put the version in our comments, or in the game title (e.g. after the semi-colon or before)?

you can do either or. as long as it's mentioned, it's fine.

Still early but MGS3 seems like it's going to be hard to beat.

Not even sure it would make my ten anymore like it would have a few years ago.

Floridian

it's not. i was juggling between having the gbc count and not and figured it was mostly an extension of an earlier era, even though crystal came out in 2001. it's sort of in the same spot final fantasy ix or paper mario would be in.

if we ever do a fifth gen vote, it would definitely be in.

Ah ok, will edit out then.

McNum

Probably should have asked before doing that post, but Civilization IV is eligible, right? It came out October 25th 2005 for PC.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
1. Halo: Combat Evolved ; Legendary.
2. Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising ; Pretty much perfect. The gameplay, difficulty, characters, balance, music, multiplayer. My only big complaint is that there's only a few save slots for custom maps, lol.
3. Metroid: Zero Mission
4. F-Zero GX ; I want a sequel so bad.
5. Guitar Hero ; Not the best in the series probably, but it was the one I played the most.
6. Final Fantasy XII
7. Metroid Prime
8. Zelda: Wind Waker ; The first 3D Zelda I really loved.

PS: If this doesn't meet the commentary requirement, please give me a heads up. Thanks!

Bakkus

Damn when i make my list it's gonna make me look like a huge Nintendo fanboy. I have lots of games on the PS2 and Xbox aswell, but i've yet to play and/or finish most of the classics on those consoles.

By the way, AniHawk, how many games are gonna be ranked in the results thread?

Grief.exe

Remakes of games from this generation cannot be the basis for a vote either (so no voting for The Wind Waker if your only experience with it is The Wind Waker HD).

Seems arbitrary.

256px-Cod2bre.jpg

5. Call of Duty 2: Big Red One

You sure you didn't mean this? Call of Duty 2 is actually considered to be pretty good, larger world, 64 player online, etc.

Call_of_Duty_2_Box.jpg

I've actually trying to track down a steam copy for ages so I can replay the game. Activision doesn't accurately discount their older Call of Duty titles as they consider them to be competing products with their newer line. Just not enough differences between the titles. For example, Call of Duty 4 still has a massive population on PC, but the newer entries are consistently selling worse and worse. To the point where the next entry will likely be irrelevant.

inner-G

Banned
1. Final Fantasy X ; showed off what the PS2 could do, and holds up well today
2. Dragon Quest VIII ; a classic, beautiful game
3. Persona 4 ; I don't need to tell GAF anything else about it
4. Kingdom Hearts 2 ; improved gameplay, great story/graphics
5. Persona 3 ; really got my interest, my first SMT-ish experience
6. Katamari Damacy ; a BALL of fun
7. Final Fantasy X-2 ; a great threesome
8. Metal Gear Solid 3 ; /salute
9. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker ; gorgeous
10. Gran Turismo 3 ; mind-blowing for an early PS2 game
x. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess ; almost made it
x. Okami ; /hoooooooowl

Floridian

You sure you didn't mean this? Call of Duty 2 is actually considered to be pretty good, larger world, 64 player online, etc.

I played both, but it's been such a long time since i've replayed 2, the closest I've recalled was Big Red One. I actually liked both of them the same.

Edit: I would agree though that 2 is more of the complete version, Idk what happened to my copy of it =/

Violet_0

Banned
1. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn ; Best RPG of all time, Game of the Forever, a freak accident as a result of Bioware/Black Isle being struck by lightning ect.
Infinitely replayable, side content the length of some full-budget titles, over a dozen memorable companions to join your party, writing ranging from decent to great, engaging tactical combat system and superb encounter design. Yeah, this game is good.
2. Metroid Prime ; A first-person shooter slash puzzle adventure slash exploration game based on an established Nintendo franchised created by a a new and inexperienced developer had no right to this good.
3. Neverwinter Nights 2 ; Well this might look strange to some but considering the hundreds of hours I've spent in the NWN2 toolset working on various (never finished) modules it certainly has deserved it's place. Since the toolset is in an integral part of the game I think it's fair to list it on that merit here. Oh, and the original campaign was pretty nice too.
4. Gothic 2 ; Fantastic German 3rd person RPG with a focus on exploring a large, beautifully realized, hand-crafted world.
5. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker ; One of my favorites in the Zelda series, brilliant art style and an all-around really enjoyable experience. Dungeons ain't everything in a Zelda game.
6. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War ; Spent a lot of time with online multiplayer skirmishes, easily one of the best RTS I've played and certainly the one I was the most invested in.
7. RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 ; Amazing amusement park simulation in full 3d, building insane and potentially lethal roller coasters with highly ambitious theming decoration never was this much fun.
8. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
9. Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
10. F-Zero GX ; Just one of the best split-screen muliplayer racing experiences (and a great-looking one at that), I'm still waiting for the sequel Nintendo.

Daaaaaamn!
Ok, let's do this!!!

1. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater; As a metal gear fan, this game delivered on everything I wanted from it. Its story and characters were so memorable they'll be ingrained in my memory forever.

2. Shadow of the Colossus; I'm not even sure if I can describe the journey this game took me on. It truly placed me into another world.

3. Silent Hill 2; The formula perfected. I give every SH game a chance based on the strength of this entry alone. Its greatness has truly clouded my judgement :/

4. Resident Evil 4; This wasn't the survival horror I expected or wanted, but damn was it fun!

5. Metal Gear Solid 2: SOL; I know the item and enemy layout for every area in this game almost by heart. It fucked with my brain at the end and I thank it for that.

6. Suikoden 3; This is an odd one because I on first play I actually enjoyed 5 more, but the characters and story in 3 continues to resonate with me today so it gets the nod here.

7. ICO; I loved this world so much. I wish the game was longer.

8. SOCOM: US Navy SEALS 2; I lost so much time to this game and made dozens of friends along the way.I'm pretty sure the map layouts Night Stalker, Desert Glory and Crossroads have permanently replaced names and dates in my memory

9. Final Fantasy X; I literally did everything you could in this game. Do I regret it? Nope.

10. God of War 2; I once had a conversation regarding which of the first two GOW's were better and we couldn't remember which game had some of the segments. Later I replayed the HD collection and it turned out all the sections I hated were in the first game and all the ones I remembered fondly were in the second. Such a great sequel.

Honourable Mentions
Resident Evil Remake
Suikoden 5
Godhand
Shadow of Destiny (I really wanted this in my top 10, but alas)
Kingdom Hearts

I didn't vote in the RPG one because I didn't think I had played enough. The only one of these consoles I owned was the Gameboy Advance. I was still mostly playing Nintendo 64 and Gameboy Color during these years. Also, on PC, these years were some of the worst for PC adventure gaming so I don't look back on this time very fondly.

1. The Longest Journey (PC, November 16, 2000) ; The number one choice is an easy one, it's also related to my namesake. This is one of my favorite adventure games of all time! It has an amazing story and characters and puzzles. Crow is the best sidekick ever and April Ryan is one of my favorite protagonists. After the release of The Longest Journey, the point and click adventure genre basically died off (until recently) so it's great that it ended on such a high note.

2. Syberia (PC, January 9, 2002); I loved the adventure and steampunk setting. Kate Walker was a great character and I liked how it went into the background with her fiancé via telephone calls. My only complaint was that some scenes had zero interactivity and it can take awhile to traverse the setting. It also takes awhile to get going but after that it is a great ride.

3. Mother 3 (GBA, April 20, 2006); Earthbound was my favorite RPG of the SNES era so I was excited when this game came out and was translated. A great sequel and one that I will play again someday, hopefully when it is released on the virtual console.

4. Psychonauts (PC, April 19, 2005) ; Psychonauts is a great platformer. Lots of stuff to collect and interesting NPC's. I loved the brain mechanics. However the Meat Circus ending was one of my most frustrating gaming experiences.

5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (GBA, December 2, 2002); This was my first experience with this game since I never had a SNES. It is probably my favorite 2D Zelda and I'm glad that it exists in handheld form. Now I just need to play A Link Between Worlds!

6. Syberia II (PC, March 30, 2004) ; Syberia is really a two part story and Syberia II gives a great ending to the story. It is really rewarding getting to the end of the journey. Yes to Oscar. I'm not sure what will happen with Syberia III but I look forward to it.

7. Escape from Monkey Island (PC, November 8, 2000) ; This one is my least favorite Monkey Island but it is still Monkey Island which is why it gets a place on this list. At the time I enjoyed it but I can't remember it very well now. Hopefully it gets re-released on GOG soon so I can replay it.

It's sad that I couldn't even come up with 10 games. There are still a few from this era that I would like to experience but for the most part, the lack of adventure games and all the games from the PS2 and GC I would like to experience being ported to other consoles makes these consoles less appealing to me.

Grief.exe

Are System Shock 2 and Deus Ex inside that 2000-2005 period? I can't remember if they are 1999 games.

System Shock 2 - 1999
Deus Ex - 2000
Thief II - 2000

According to Wikipedia, only Deus Ex squeaks in. Unfortunate, as System Shock 2 may have just topped out my list.

HTupolev

2. Half-Life 2 ; Halo may have gotten me into games, but Half-Life 2 showed me just what I was missing by living through an Xbox.
Half-Life 2 actually did receive an oXbox release, in 2005.

9. Halo 1- Pioneered online FPS on consoles.
Halo 1's original release doesn't have any online functionality; Xbox Live launched a year after Halo 1 did.

...It was technically possible to use tunneling to trick the console into thinking that an online connection was LAN, but that's clunky and obviously never officially supported, and was never popular enough to constitute "pioneering" anything.

AniHawk

Seems arbitrary.

it's actually consistent with other games counting. for example, donkey kong country would actually count, but the gba version in particular. it has to be that version that you played and appreciated though.

remade and ported games can be better or worse than what they were based on. hardware and the limitations or new features inherent in their design also influences the experience.

1. Final Fantasy X ; My personal favorite game of all time. I've never been as lost in the world, the story, and the characters of a video game the way I was during my first time through FFX, and the gameplay is phenomenal at well.

2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic ; The first western RPG I ever played, and it remains one the best. Also features the best plot twist in any game I've played.

3. Metroid Prime ; All the prime games are great, but the original is hands down the best. Exploring the world of Talon IV to find all the secrets and the true sense of isolation are the highlights of this game that I'll never forget.

4. Ico ; Amazing how much this game said with so little actual dialogue.

5. Okami ; Best Zelda game I've played since Ocarina of Time. (Admittedly, I did not have a Gamecube, and so I've never played Wind Waker. Don't hate me.)

6. RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 ; Who doesn't want to build the world's most amazing theme park? Or, to gather as many guests as possible and try to come up with new ways to murder them?

7. God of War II ; The drastic improvements to the gameplay earn this game a spot on my list over it's predecessor. Unfortunately, it's story took a dramatic turn for the worse, turning Kratos from a tragic figure, to the raging death-machine that he's known as today.

8. Persona 3: FES ; Who knew that a dating simulator and a dungeon crawler were a match made in JRPG heaven?

9. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II ; Would probably higher than the original KOTOR had Obsidian been able to finish the damn game. The fact that it's included on my list at all is a testament to the drastically improved cast from the first game, most notably the villains.

10. Mario Kart: Double Dash ; My favorite entry in one of my favorite series. Yoshi/Paratroopa FTW.

Jamix012

it's actually consistent with other games counting. for example, donkey kong country would actually count, but the gba version in particular. it has to be that version that you played and appreciated though.

remade and ported games can be better or worse than what they were based on. hardware and the limitations or new features inherent in their design also influences the experience.

Still honestly seems very arbitrary to me.

Will there be stats and such like in the GOTY votes?

CJCW

1. Resident Evil 4 ; I don't believe any game is perfect, but I can't think of a thing I'd change about RE4. It is the pinnacle of its genre, a massive influence today, and still more fun than (almost) any game released since.
2. Shadow of the Colossus ; A game that totally nails atmosphere, tone, and minimalism, with some of the best boss fights in the history of gaming.
3. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 ; A damn good RPG made far better by its excellent cast of characters and interesting murder mystery plot.
4. Silent Hill 2 ; Possibly the best horror game ever made. If the combat were less frustrating it might be higher on my list.
5. Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy ; One of the 3D platforming genre's underrated gems. Mechanically sound, with a perfectly put together open world. Too bad about that sequel...
6. Metroid Prime ; A perfect translation of the series' mechanics and world design into a 3D space, with the added twist of first-person combat and platforming.
7. Final Fantasy X ; The RPG with my favorite battle system of any I've played, as well as a great story.
8. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater ; Maybe the best entry in one of gaming's best series. Great controls, story, graphics (for its time).
9. Need for Speed: Underground 2 ; Probably my favorite racing game ever, with an engaging career mode.
10. Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening ; Very fun and very challenging, and the best in its genre.

1. Wolfenstein Enemy Territory ; Free to play when that meant literally free to play. Best use of class based, team based gameplay ever. Excellent shooting mechanics, fantastic level design, incredible support. The best videogame ever made.
2. Return to Castle Wolfenstein ; One of the best multiplayer experiences ever made. Objective, class based multiplayer that was highly addictive and challenging without resorting to persistent stats. And a voice chat system using keystrokes that was incredibly innovative.
3. Psychonauts ; Clever, charming, platformy. A psychic adventure from the mind of Tim Schafer indeed.
4. Half Life 2 ; Highly influential, a masterpiece
5. Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door ; Clever mechanical changes, great writing
6. No One Lives Forever ; Ahead of its time in many ways. Excellent atmosphere and mechanics, fantastic heroine
7. F.E.A.R. ; How can modern A.I. still trail what Monolith was able to achieve in 2005?
8. Call of Duty ; Talk about starting big franchises... shooting mechanics and sound design that were unparalleled at the time.
9. Battlefield 1942 ; Big dumb fun that birthed one of gaming's biggest franchises
10. God of War ; Epic sense of scale on a console

AniHawk

Still honestly seems very arbitrary to me.

well it's the only way i can have it make sense. the hd release of beyond good & evil is not the same as the ps2 release. the ps3 release of silent hill 2 isn't the same as the ps2 release, so on and so forth.

Will there be stats and such like in the GOTY votes?

i will have to ask cheesemeister for his parser for that.

Santiako

My list. If I did this tomorrow I might write it differently, but whatever:

1. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind ; Up until Dark Souls, this was my personal GOAT, such an amazingly alien world to get lost in, I played this for hundreds and hundreds of hours. Puts the next Elder Scrolls games to shame.
2. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn ; Best party rpg of all time, so big and full of content. Incredible.
3. Diablo 2 ; THE loot game, it still is, playing this online back in the day where everyone had all the equipment hacked to hell was so memorable and fun.
4. Deus Ex ; Still the best branching game, the first game I remember where my choices affected the outcome of the game.
5. Gothic 2 ; This game nails the worldbuilding and the character progression. I still remember transforming into a bug to sneak into the orc camps to steal some weapons to then sell and running out of scrolls on the way, dragging some orcs to the main camp; that ended in a bloodbath of guards and orcs lol
6. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker ; My favourite 3D Zelda and still one of the best looking games of all time.
7. Arx Fatalis ; It's a smaller but still unbelievably good Ultima Underworld successor.
8. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic ; Pressing the X key to twirl my lightsabers will always be one of my favourite details to do in a game.
9. Ninja Gaiden Black ; Still the best of its genre, the city hub model was very novel for its time.
10. Super Smash Bros. Melee ; MELEEEEEEE, most played game in multiplayer in that generation for me.

Let me know if I have some formatting or naming errors.

So looks like the original Paper Mario is not allowed right? That game came out so late that I always believe it's part of the 6 gen

Fuck this thread! Do you know how great this generation is? You had MGS3, RE4,Three FF games, Paper Mario TTYD, Persona 3 & 4, Tricky, Halo 1 & 2, Half-Life 2, Baldur's Gate II: Dark Alliance, Soul Calibur II, Tekken Tag, Street Hoops, Mario Kart Double Dash, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, DQ VIII, The Grand Theft Auto series, God of War 1 & 2, Okami, and Bully!

How in the hell is someone supposed to fit all those in top ten?

Santiako

Fuck this thread. Do you know how great this generation is? You had MGS3, RE4,Three FF games, Paper Mario TTYD, Persona 3 & 4, Tricky, Halo 1 & 2, Half-Life 2, Baldur's Gate II: Dark Alliance, Soul Calibur II, Tekken Tag, Street Hoops, Mario Kart Double Dash, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, DQ VIII, The Grand Theft Auto series, Okami, and Bully!

How in the hell is someone supposed to fit all those in top ten?

Only two of those are in my top 10 lol. SO MANY GOOD GAMES.

Blobbers

1. Shin Megami Tensei 3 Nocturne/Lucifer's Call ; The very best JRPG I've ever played and my favorite game of Gen 6. This game is in many ways the antithesis of usual JRPG design sensibilities. It is a relentless experience through and through and it never lets go. There is no point in grinding for levels most of the time. On the contrary, your skills and your demons' skills and weaknesses are your main concern. You want to make use and abuse the turn press system. Every boss can appear too hard and insurmountable if you're not on the top of your game. The game wants you to feel uncomfortable and scared for your life at every moment. The genius of Nocturne is that these design choices fit so well with the game's story and world building. The world is overrurn by demons and deities who are waging wars on one another and you never feel safe. There is danger at every corner. Every part of the game is fun and addictive: demon recruting, demon fusion, Labyrinth of Amala and fiend hunting. Not to mention the incredible OST.

2. Final Fantasy X ; I probably have over 500 hours clocked in this game. Excellent battle system, great grinding tactics for grind fiends like myself, great sidequest and superboss portfolio, great characters and a good story. And man, getting that first 99999 hit. Just pure, clean fun.

3. Persona 4 ; The whodunit story and great characters and setting were enough to hook me in, but the usual Persona S.Link fusion system really sealed the deal. A great example of a game with great story AND great gameplay.

4. Persona 3 FES ; Really, it is only slightly inferior to Persona 4 because Tartarus is a crime on gaming and I have a thing for murder mysteries. But other than that, this game's got the usual: great characters, great story, great setting and the fusion system.

5. Dragonball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 ; A 3D plane fighting game that is near and dear to my heart because I used to play it all the time with my friends. 5 vs 5 randomized was the shit. I loved unlocking all the characters, unlocking the secret sagas and finding the dragonballs on the overworld.

6. Resident Evil REmake ; Classic survival horror and a staple of the RE series. The updated pre-rendered backgrounds were mindblowing and along with brand new areas really elevated the spookiness factor of the Spencer mansion. A game I'll gladly replay every so often.

7. God of War 2 ; The best God of War game filled with memorable and varied areas and mythological creatures. Kratos is still a dick but is driven by the desire to get vengeance on every God of Olympus. You knew from the beginning that shit was about to get real.

8. Kingdom Hearts 2 ; The batshit insane story has grown on me at this point, and the battle system and the setting and the overall genius of the premise of the series itself cannot be overstated. Fighting baddies in various Disney worlds, aided by various Disney characters, with cameos from various Final Fantasy characters and the updated and streamlined battle system make this one of the most enjoyable experiences in gaming today.

9. Metal gear Solid 3: Snake Eater ; As soon as that Bond-esque opening theme started playing, I knew I was in for a treat. Classic Kojima game design, filled with little secrets and alternative ways to tackle every situation, funny moments and sad moments which sometimes don't mesh together as well as you'd like, but I wouldn't have it any other way in a Kojima game. Melodramatic dialogue, colorful backstories, there's just no other experience out there. There's something haunting about Kojima's games, something that never leaves you.

10. Jack and Daxter ; I was never a big collectathon fan, but this game was just fun and engaged me from the very beginning. Before I knew it, I was going for every precursor orb, and while I did give up going for that 100% after about halfway through the game, I finished the game in not that many sittings. One of the best Naughty Dog creations.

X. Rogue Galaxy ; Action RPG goodness from Level 5. Wasn't a fan of the factory system, but I liked fusing weapons and uncovering new skills by collecting various herbs and other items. The dungeons could get stale and copy/pasta-ish but the fun attack skills and powers made them bearable.
X. Dragon Quest VIII ; Great overworld and great DQ gameplay. And that tweest ending. The OST I feel is a little underrated too. I'd just like to mention the game's world again, as I think it's one of the best JRPG worlds out there. Really pretty.
X. Resident Evil: Code Veronica X ; This game gets shat on for Matrix Wesker and stuff but I found the craziness pretty tame in this one. Classic RE gameplay and level design, and a joy to play through. Plus, it has the best RE protagonist, Claire Redfield.

1. Half-Life 2 - My GOAT FPS and the only FPS I replay regularly. Fairly timeless graphics and great gameplay.
2. World of Warcraft - ~14,000 hours played. Many pixels slain and real-life friendships forged.
3. Diablo II - Countless hours of fun both solo and with friends.
4. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - My first Elder Scrolls game. I loved the atmosphere, exploration, and music.
5. Shadow of the Colossus - Amazing atmosphere and gameplay.
6. Silent Hill 3 - Top-notch atmosphere and attention to detail. Genuine horror. They don't make 'em like this anymore.
7. Silent Hill 2 - Same as above.
8. Persona 4 - Easily my favorite JRPG from this generation.
9. Metroid Prime - Dat atmosphere tho. Slightly ashamed to say this is the only Metroid game I've ever played.
10. Odin Sphere - My first Vanillaware game. As with most (all?) Vanillaware games, art style is top-tier.

Honorable mentions:
Super Monkey Ball - I had such a good time unlocking and beating the master-level courses in this game
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - It's Zelda.
Kingdom Hearts - Disney + Final Fantasy was a pretty great idea. Fun gameplay.

CrisKre

1. Metroid Prime ; A game ahead of its time. It redefined atmosphere in a game and was simply a class act, from start to finish
2. Super Smash Bros. Melee ; the amount of hours of fun this game provided has been, for me, second to none. That Sakurai polish and exquisite game design shines through on this one
3. The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker ; Possibly the most timeless artstyle ever in a game. This title has incredible personality and was clearly crafted with love and expertise.
4. Pikmin 2 ; EAD took an incredible concept in Pikmin and perfected it. There is literally no game like it.
5. Resident Evil 4 ; Greatest action game of all time.
6. Shadow of the Colossus ; Minimalist and poignant. This title is almost poetry in game form.
7. Eternal Darkness ; This game was special. It did many things so right it has remained with me for over a decade.
8. Okami ; This MASSIVE game draws you in and takes you on an adventure that is as unique as wonderful
9. Baten Kaitos ; An amazing RPG and one of the best of its era.
10. Devil May Cry ; The first of a kind. Kamiya brought style and gameplay to the forefront

1. Metal Gear Solid 3;
It is hard to choose between MGS2 and MGS3, both masterpiece by Kojima. But let it be MGS3 on first place.
2. Metal gear Solid 2;
Same as first.
3. Persona 4;
Big fan of Megami Tensei Series (especially Persona). Fastest ~60h of my life.
4. Resident Evil 4;
It was really cool to see how Resident Evil changed from previous games.
5. Persona 3;
Almost the same as Presona 4, but third I liked a little less than fourth.
6. Silent Hill 2;
Best horror game ever. Great atmosphere and plot.
7. Half Life 2;
My #1 FPS game.
8. Fahrenheit;
Great interactive movie and great plot.
9. Pokemon Ruby/Emerald;
Cant say anything special. I just like pokemon.
10. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne;
One of the greatest Megami Tensei series games, it remindes me of my most beloved SMT game (Persona 2 IS/EP).

sasliquid

1. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty ; Are video games art? What can a game mean? What can any piece of art mean? Does a piece of art being franchised reduce its value? MGS2 is everything it wants to be. Is it confusing, weird and flawed? Yes. I wouldn't have it any other way.

They may not be as memorable as Shadow Moses but The Tanker, Big Shell and Arsenal Gear are all memorable well realised locations. Raiden may not be as lovable or badass as Solid Snake but its his shell is something we 'jack' into (I see what you did there Kojima) and he is the perfect protagonist for this story. The gameplay may not be as expansive as MGS3 or 4 but its more perfect, its never clumsy and ridiculously detailed.

Themes like confirmation bias and memes wrapped up in a meta-narrative about gaming and our expectations of franchises are just as relevant as they have ever been. It is a experience only possible in games. For me this is perhaps the definitive work of art of the 21st Century and is to me the greatest game ever created.

MGS2-metal-gear-solid-2-2346829-1024-437.jpg

2. Persona 4 ; My second favourite game ever constructed I only played less than 2 years ago. Persona 4 is everything I didn't want know I wanted. It let me explore a culture rarely explored in games with a cast and soundtrack up there with the best in all of video games. It's story grips me for hours and its story about growing up made me fall in love with video games again, marked a notable point in my combat with depression, help me establish self confidence and playing it at 20 felt like a point where, in many ways, I grew up.

p4banner580s.jpg

3. Shadow of the Colossus ; I don't think there much I can say about this. Perfect bosses. Perfect atmosphere. Perfect ending. I testament to what alternative game design can do on a large budget.

banner-shadow-of-the-colossus.jpg

4. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater ; It may not be quite as mind-blowing and "deep" as it's predecessor might it may be the definitive Metal Gear. Fun, whacky, twisty and turning with great level and plot design. If it wasn't for that awkwardness of menu's it would probably slot nicely into my third favourite game ever position.

PS2Top_mgs3_banner.jpg

5. Resident Evil 4 ; Honestly I expect either this or MGS3 to win. Perfect pacing, fantastic combat and camp. Defined how a third person shooter should play. The Evil Within was just a fraction as good and that was still great.

re4banner.jpg

6. Halo: Combat Evolved ; Another game that redefined its genre. Halos campaign has never been so creative or just plain great since.

ibtfOQAzG9GlPH.png

7. Timesplitters 2 ; Seriously though, this is what FPS multiplayer should be all about. Fun, whacky, crazy, fun, imaginative, playful, wild, fun, ridiculous, fun and fun.

timesplitters-2-banner274940.jpg

8. Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King ; Oh what a wonderful world. The game that made me fall in love with JRPGs with is beautiful landscapes, series of wonderful short stories and plenty of secrets. Never played Dragon Quest that comes close to how great I found 8.

dq83jyp9.png

9. God of War 2 ; Pushing the PS2 to its limit was God of War 2. Grand in scale and a joy to play. This is the most varied and interesting character action game I've ever played.

banner.jpg

10. Final Fantasy XII ; About a year after Dragon Quest 8 I had the mighty need to play another JRPG and snapped this up. I played it near religiously till I got a PS3 and having played every FF since it holds a special place in my heart. Final Fantasy was still great and can be expansive and beautiful.

banner_462.jpg

Honourable mentions:
x. Jak and Daxter: The Precursor ; Wonder platforming fun and world design.
x. Ratchet and Clank: Up your Arsenal ; Best Ratchet, Best Clank.
x. Persona 3 ; Compliments Persona 4 nicely but isn't quite as well written and the gameplay suffers from AI problems
x. Pokemon Ruby ; The last great pokemon game
x. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne ; That hardcore JRPG experience thats oh so satisfying
x. Medal of Honour ; Frontline

For some reason I feel the need to say that the criteria were (in order importance): How much I love it, How objectively good I thought it was and importance to the industry. The PS2/GC/Etc gen was the gen I grew up in and will always be my favourite.

Crayolan

Awesome that this is finally happening. Gen 6 is the gen I have the most experience with though, so narrowing down 10 is gonna be super fucking difficult.

Rad-

1. Baldur's Gate 2 ; Best game I have ever played.
2. Final Fantasy 12
3. Civilization 4
4. Morrowind
5. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
6. Battlefield 2
7. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
8. Suikoden 5
9. SSX Tricky
10. Deus Ex

1. Power Stone 2 ; The multiplayer game of my youth. I absolutely adored the diverse roster and variety of weapons. There's a staff that turns enemies into penguins!

2. Jet Set Radio Future ; My favorite original Xbox game. Probably my favorite soundtrack of all-time. It looks amazing and I appreciate the gameplay changes from the original. It's now more an exploration based platformer which I love.

3. Killer7 ; An amazing soundtrack, story and look. I loved the gameplay based on shooting and puzzle solving.

4. Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean ; Most will say the sequel is better but I preferred the four corner card system of this one. I loved setting up 1-9 combos. The story is very enjoyable as well.

5. Baten Kaitos Origins ; What I consider to be the best game prequel ever. It delves into everything that makes the world of the original Baten Kaitos while also telling it's own important narrative. The battle system removes the weird defense turn.

6. Gundam Side Story 0079: Rise from the Ashes ; My favorite Gundam game ever in part because you never play as a Gundam. You lead a team of GM'S in 9 varied missions playing from the cockpit. This is the game that captures playing as a giant robot. You only face a maximum of a few enemies at a time as it should be. You prepare for missions before hand and missions change based on your actions. Incredible.

7. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess ; My favorite Zelda and the best example of the classic Zelda formula next to Orcarina. One thing that elevates it though are a variety of NPC'S with meaningful stories that you experience. Especially Midna who is perhaps the best characterized NPC in all Zelda games. The other thing that makes this Zelda the best is the large variety of dungeons which are simply the best in the series.

8. Metroid Prime ; This game perfectly captures the Metroid experience of being along on an alien world. The environments are incredibly well designed and a joy to explore. I love all of the scan entries you find. The way the Chozo are depicted as sort of Eastern in philosophy is great.

9. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time ; I like the platforming puzzles.

10. The Simpsons: Hit & Run ; I don't like the Simpsons anymore but at the time I did. This game perfectly captures the feel of the show and is very fun as well. It's a vehicular combat focused GTA. Do wish there were more on foot sections.

Edit:List up

I'm honestly still playing PS2 and Gamecube games so my list could change (well at least the last few) later if we do this again.

Ultimately it's hard to put games in order because a lot of them are equal in my book. The first 5 can all be considered relatively equal while the last two I feel will be bumped down in time.

It's also hard because it doesn't take into account other series entries. For instance I consider the two Baten Kaitos like the two No More Heroes games as one game entity because b the sequel relies a lot on the former. As for longer series I love Zelda a lot because of the different entries and the different things they bring to the table. I have similar feelings with Metroid to a much lesser extent.

Springy

1. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic ; Arguably the best Star Wars game ever made. Beautifully built worlds, memorable quests, an enjoyable combat and levelling system and an incredible amount of reverence for what makes people love Star Wars.

2. Deus Ex ; An absolutely incredible game that epitomized being more than the sum of its parts. It tied up a bunch of disparate systems and mechanics in a conspiracy theorist's wet dream. Years in, and it's still stuck with me.

3. Mercenaries ; An open world toy box of expensive, explosive military materiel. Exquisitely structured with its "Deck of 52" High-Value Targets to either kill or capture, as well as an entire peninsula to turn to rubble with precision air strikes.

4. Skies of Arcadia: Legends ; SoA stood out to me with its vibrant, gravity-defying world, charming cast and mix of on-foot turn-based battles and ship-based cannon blastin'. Legends tightened up the visuals, added new content and pared down the frequency of random battles. It's the definitive version of a fantastic game.

5. Battlefield 1942 ; When online first-person shooters were still dominated by small-scale arena fights, Battlefield's expansive war zones the and symphony of machines on land, sea and air to conquer them blew my mind. It was battle on a grand scale; charge a tank into the fray, strafe infantry from a Stuka, fling TNT onto a jeep before going on a pleasant drive or just gently cruise your own team's aircraft carrier off the map.

6. Freelancer ; I've played my fair share of space combat and trading games, but none meshes the two in an approachable package quite like Freelancer. Its mouse-driven combat is excellent, the galaxy expansive and enjoyable to explore and the story action-packed. It's even got multiplayer that allowed players to level persistent characters and dick around like nobody's business.

7. SWAT4 ; This is my favorite co-op game. It's is a tense, atmospheric game that feels like playing a SWAT team member than just being a guy with a gun. It takes planning and teamwork and cannot be beaten by trial-and-error thanks to its random objective and enemy placement. Be methodical, be cautious and have reflexes of a damn tiger when you see the suspect you shouted at to drop the weapon suddenly raise it up.

8. Advance Wars ; As much as I love handheld gaming, there are so many occasions where I'm suddenly aware of how much I feel the games I'm playing are constrained by their imprisonment inside a tiny, battery-powered console. Advance Wars is the antithesis of that feeling. Its cartoonish, cunning strategy feels right at home between my palms. Must have stayed in my GBA's slot for a full year.

9. Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne ; The sequel corrected any criticisms I had of the first Max Payne and delivered a super-cool story and balletic Woo-style action to a degree that still feels unparalleled today. This feels like a game that hits every target it aims for, and is still incredibly satisfying to burn through in a weekend even now.

10. Ratchet & Clank ; There were a wealth of platforming, wise-cracking anthropomorphs during the first half of the '00s, but none entertained me as much as R&C. This game had great levels, amusing characters and the most entertaining menagerie of weapons a Lombax could hope for.

X. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
X. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
X. PlanetSide
X. Metroid Prime
X. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
X. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
X. Unreal Tournament 2004

Top Bottom