• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light PC Performance Thread

The Cowboy

Can someone confirm this.

Before the patch when the view slider was at 100% in the video config file is read "VisRange(8.26, 8.26)", however after the patch mine at 100% now reads "VisRange(2.60, 2.60)".

Anyone else's like that?, its making me wonder if the fix was to adjust the distance slider scale making it a lot shorter - i could be wrong, but the number change in the video config file is weird.

File is in Documents > DyingLight > out > settings - video (you need to use notepad to open it).

MaLDo

Can someone confirm this.

Before the patch when the view slider was at 100% in the video config file is read "VisRange(8.26, 8.26)", however after the patch mine at 100% now reads "VisRange(2.60, 2.60)".

Anyone else's like that?, its making me wonder if the fix was to adjust the distance slider scale making it a lot shorter - i could be wrong, but the number change in the video config file is weird.

File is in Documents > DyingLight > out > settings - video (you need to use notepad to open it).

Interesting. This is easily testable looking at the results in screen.

The Cowboy

Right, the new patch default 50% view distance is lower than the pre-patch default 50% setting, the new patch 100% setting is actually the pre-patch 55% setting.

Vuze

lol yeah, I just saw the lowered view distance thing on the steam forum just now as well.
Could've just added more values on the slider, but I guess most people would just whine because they have to turn down their slider even more then. So I understand their decision somewhat.

abracadaver

No performance improvement for me with this patch. At least I don't notice anything.

Still choppy as hell with like medium settings. Very annoying

i5 3550 (3.3 Ghz)
R290
8GB RAM

Gbraga

well this is some cheating bs if you ask me.

If only people listened to Durante before testing a game maxed out, not getting 60fps and then saying it's poorly optimized and that they should've bought it on PS4...

I saw people with way better cards than me saying they regret getting it on PC, and yet I was ok with how the game ran here compared to consoles, even with the fucked up CPU thing.

c0Zm1c

If only people listened to Durante before testing a game maxed out, not getting 60fps and then saying it's poorly optimized and that they should've bought it on PS4...

I saw people with way better cards than me saying they regret getting it on PC, and yet I was ok with how the game ran here compared to consoles, even with the fucked up CPU thing.
I'm not sure that applies here when the game has questionable performance even on low settings, for some people at least.

Gbraga

I'm not sure that applies here when the game has questionable performance even on low settings, for some people at least.

You're right (though it's not my experience with it), but at least the view distance option, where even 0% was better than consoles, that was definitely the reason.

Too many people who can't run at 100% saying they'd rather have it at less than 0.

knerl

Fuck off with the draw distance change if true.
On a side note. Booted the game up with patch 1.2.1.
If I just stood still I'd see my framerate drop without anything happening from ~50-60 to 40. Not randomly, but rather with a few seconds apart. Let's say every 4-5 seconds. I changed the processor priority from normal to high in the task manager and the frame drops were gone! Might help some of you.

Come one Techland! You can do better than this.
Get rid of the frame drops and get some better multi-threaded support in there.

Kezen

Banned
Instead of trying to optimize they simply nerfed the draw distance.

That's cheap. No wonder even 100% draw distance runs very well since it's equivalent to the 50-55% pre patch.

Instead of trying to optimize they simply nerfed the draw distance.

That's cheap. No wonder even 100% draw distance runs very well since it's equivalent to the 50-55% pre patch.

lol,
well... that is one way to shut up people about "optimization."

Faith

Well the patch "worked" for me. I've maxed out everything (disabled Nvidia DoF) and get a better framerate now than before with 50% draw distance.

No more sturrering, but still framedrops to 40fps when I'm on a roof.

MaLDo

They are reading then... :)

2 days ago

I think they can change that slider doing 50% the max value and a lot of people will be happier
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=149500457&postcount=470

Oh, and this looks like one of those games that would have gotten a massively better reception for its technical quality if they had maxed out the view distance slider at their current 50% setting, called that "ultra", and only allowed higher settings in some .ini file.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=149501585&postcount=476

So if the new 100% is actually the old 50%, what's the new 0%?

Can it even brought that much lower? I imagine you'd have shadow pop in right in front of you at that point.

The Cowboy

So if the new 100% is actually the old 50%, what's the new 0%?

Can it even brought that much lower? I imagine you'd have shadow pop in right in front of you at that point.

No, they basically cut off every notch after 55%, as such the new 0 to 100% scale now has a lot less notches in it - so in game we now have the original pre-patch 0 to 55% scale as a 0 to 100% scale.

Buburibon

Right, the new patch default 50% view distance is lower than the pre-patch default 50% setting, the new patch 100% setting is actually the pre-patch 55% setting.

I haven't had the opportunity to check it out myself yet, but I had a feeling they were going to do exactly what you've described. I mean, a proper optimization patch would take much longer to cook, wouldn't it? Oh well, I'm afraid we can't do much other than to hope they'll keep working on it.

shiyrley

Banned
The patch helped me a lot. I have:
660ti 2 GB (actually 1.5 GB, typical nvidia :) )
Intel i5 2500
8 GB DDR3

This config:
Vsync: on
Shadows: medium
Grass and stuff: high
View distance: 0 (makes 0 difference tbh)
Ambient occlusion: on
HBAO+: on
depth of field: off (hate it)
motion blur: off (same)
AA: on

I'm getting generally 50-60 FPS constantly, with some temporary drops in certain areas but nothing too horrible. Before the patch I was getting 30-45 FPS at most.

Also before the patch CPU1 was always at 100%, now every core is working.

I have to try setting the grass to medium and check if it helps with the occasional drops.

H4r4kiri

But this is not optimation. This is creating an illusion of making a Patch, that now, you are able to play game more smoothly with the same settings, when it is not the same setting, because the LOD gets reduced a lot. So this is kind of cheating. Dont you think so ?

The Cowboy

I haven't had the opportunity to check it out myself yet, but I had a feeling they were going to do exactly what you've described. I mean, a proper optimization patch would take much longer to cook, wouldn't it? Oh well, I'm afraid we can't do much other than to hope they'll keep working on it.

They did improve CPU load along with it, its a lot more even now.

Czigga

i54690k
16gb ram
2 x 970s

same as you, all maxed with half distance, 60 with drops to 40s etc. completely playable of course (and then some) but yeah, patch did nothing

I have exact same system as you - you haven't been able to run it at 1440p? Thinking about getting the game but if it's that bad will probably pass.

shiyrley

Banned
But this is not optimation. This is creating an illusion of making a Patch, that now, you are able to play game more smoothly with the same settings, when it is not the same setting, because the LOD gets reduced a lot. So this is kind of cheating. Dont you think so ?
But as I said in my post, I have more FPS post-patch at 0 LOD than pre-patch with 0 LOD! (and it seems the downgrade is only at 55%+) And the CPU1 is no longer at 100%! Yes, they seem to have downgraded the LOD, but at the same time the game is more optimized now :/

I have exact same system as you - you haven't been able to run it at 1440p? Thinking about getting the game but if it's that bad will probably pass.

What do you mean by that bad? With that configuration the game runs well enough and if you really want stable 60 you can sacrifice some minor settings and get there easily. Not playing a good game because it has dips to 40 at max settings is beyond me.

c0Zm1c

It explains why I saw no improvement. I've been playing at 0 view distance. I can now increase it to around 50% for the same 40-60fps performance. Perhaps that's the best I can expect from this game with my current hardware.

Alan Smithee

Neo Member
Had a question about processors, is anyone running the less than minimum Intel i5 3.3 Ghz/Amd 3.5 Ghz?

Right now my graphics card is not where it needs to be (GTX 285) and while I could upgrade to the 560, my processor is an i7 3.07 Ghz and I don't even know if I should bother if that means I have to upgrade that as well (I might as well get a new damn rig)

I should be exceeding memory requirements anyway

man this is such a shit show

The patch is...weird. I went into options and changed the shadow size to High, down from Very High. Instantly I went from hovering around 30fps in some shots to 60 everywhere (got a 970). Go into Nvidia optimization whatever, and it says that the shadows are now set to medium. I optimize it and it says back to high, then go back in game and it's set to very high, but most of the performance boost has retained. What a fucking weird game.

The patch is...weird. I went into options and changed the shadow size to High, down from Very High. Instantly I went from hovering around 30fps in some shots to 60 everywhere (got a 970). Go into Nvidia optimization whatever, and it says that the shadows are now set to medium. I optimize it and it says back to high, then go back in game and it's set to very high, but most of the performance boost has retained. What a fucking weird game.

I noticed that what was "very low" shadow map size pre patch it's been renamed to "low" now. Can't remember the higher settings but I guess it's just renaming cause there was no difference in performance.

Gbraga

Absolutely. My point is, if the current 100% was the original 100%, much less people would complain about poor optimization, they're just avoiding people who don't know what they're doing bothering them.

The ideal way would be make it clear that 50% is high and more than that is there for futureproofing, but the alternative is to just make 50% max and make people happy because they can max it out.

The Cowboy

I noticed that what was "very low" shadow map size pre patch it's been renamed to "low" now. Can't remember the higher settings but I guess it's just renaming cause there was no difference in performance.

Yep, new patch very high = pre-patch high, new patch high = pre-patch medium and so on.

Buburibon

Nice! My single GTX 980 will now be able to handle "high" shadows without any dips under 60fps at 1080p.
:p

Seriously, they should've reshuffled/renamed settings prior to release.

Anyone on a 780 getting below 30? I'd be fine locking it at 30 and playing.

I got the game, but want to finish Grim Fandango before I start.

Klyka

Banned
Yep, new patch very high = pre-patch high, new patch high = pre-patch medium and so on.

weirdly enough when i am looking at fire or smoke with shadows on "very high" now I get MASSIVE framerate drops, like we are talking from 60 down to 20 or less.
When I turn it to the new "High" it runs fine without a hitch.

Top Bottom