• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's why Mo'Nique disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rembrandt

Banned
edit: image is way too big, lol.

edit #2: did some googling about her campaigning for Precious to add context:

Mo'nique sparked controversy by refusing to do press for 2009's "Precious" long before Oscar season heated up. The stand-up comedian turned actress appeared at the film's Sundance premiere and then skipped out on Cannes, Toronto and New York festivals. Mo'nique publicly questioned the purpose of Oscar campaigning, with some pundits starting to speculate that, as a relatively unestablished actress, she'd be shut out for the win. In the end, it turned out not to matter. Mo'nique remained the overwhelming favorite in supporting-actress categories throughout that season and took home her statue on Oscar night. "First, I would like to thank the Academy for showing that it can be about the performance and not the politics," she said during her acceptance speech.
(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/25/oscar-campaign_n_4145098.html)

Indiewire's article from 2013 sums it up and even guesses that she's blacklisted:
In the Vanity Fair article, Jeffery Wells was quoted several times, using some of his more caustic attacks on Mo'Nique. Specifically, here's a sample:

As for Mo’Nique herself, she’s a genuine primitive... Or so I think. Did she pretend not to understand the financial benefits of an Oscar race during that talk-show chat or is she really that thick? I thought her [Golden Globe] acceptance speech felt acted and lacked class. I thought her ‘talk to my husband’ reply to Tom O’Neil was major chickenshit. And the hairy legs thing was just astounding. Has an Oscar contending actress ever been on the red carpet with visible Yeti hair on her calves?... Mo’Nique’s spotty campaign and the certainty of her winning the Oscar is proof that you don’t have to campaign as much as most publicists think you have to... IF you’re the only real standout in your category and IF you’ve got every critics group going ‘baaaah!’ and giving you a win almost every time at bat. Plus there was never a strong Mo’Nique alternative choice. I found her performance and personality genuinely unappealing. Which of course makes me a racist. Naturally. END.

Of course, many found his "genuine primitive" line very problematic, to start.

Further, from Mark Olsen's article: "Mo’Nique seems to challenge, consciously or not, the very foundation of how a sleek, supplicating awards-season actress should look or behave."
http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowan...ecalls-moniques-controversial-precious-choice

-----------

Might now be most famously known for her award winning role in Precious. (sorta related thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=919417&highlight=mo+nique)

She wrote an essay for The Hollywood Reporter where she talks about being blacklisted.

Noting that an Oscar win "normally does" lead to "more respect, choices, money" in the business, Mo'Nique writes, "But I got a phone call from Lee Daniels...And he said to me, 'Mo'Nique, you've been blackballed.' I said, 'Why?' And he said, 'Because you didn't play the game.'"

Mo'Nique also writes that she was offered the role of Forest Whitaker's wife in Lee Daniels' The Butler, a part that ultimately went to Oprah Winfrey; a role in the Daniels-produced Fox hit Empire; and the role of Richard Pryor's grandmother [also now set to be played by Oprah] in the upcoming biopic Daniels is working on—but, she adds, "they all just went away."

Lee Daniels (Empire, The Butler, Precious) response - *
he's the one that old her she was blackballed
Lee Daniels said:
"Mo'Nique is a creative force to be reckoned with. Her demands through Precious were not always in line with the campaign. This soured her relationship with the Hollywood community. I consider her a friend. I have and will always think of her for parts that we can collaborate on, however the consensus among the creative teams and powers thus far were to go another way with these roles."

that sucks. she actually had potential and deserved her oscar; would have been a great fit in the butler, too.

http://www.eonline.com/news/626853/...way-lee-daniels-told-me-i-ve-been-blackballed

Giruvegan

After steamrolling the competition throughout the 2009-10 awards season, Mo'Nique famously didn't campaign for her Oscar, going on to say in her acceptance speech that she was grateful to the Academy "for showing that it can be about the performance and not the politics."

Yeah, she fucked up :(

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
What "game" didn't she play?

In the article:
After steamrolling the competition throughout
the 2009-10 awards season, Mo'Nique famously didn't campaign for her Oscar, going
on to say in her acceptance speech that she was grateful to the Academy 'for showing that
it can be about the performance and not the
politics."

"I said, 'Well, what game is that?'" her THR piece
continues. "He gave me no response."

Apparently he didn't feel like sharing exactly what he meant, but it sounds like there's some sort of campaign process you need to do in order to keep credibility among the showbiz crowd? The bit about "the performance bit the politics" is a real shame.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, she fucked up :(

Damn, her performance was good and she deserved the award but if you're gonna say that and expect to keep getting work you've better have put on the best performance of all time. Shoot, I don't think George Clooney could get away with saying that and everyone loves him.

injurai

Banned
So is DiCaprio snubbed because he isn't campaigning to win? What a bizarro world where you campaign for an award that is meant to praise a particular performance.

royalan

I don't get it.. What did she do to get blackballed?

She didn't play the game.

There's a lot of politics involved with Hollywood. When you're up for awards, you go to all the awards shows, you wear the designer outfits for the tabloids. You do all the interviews and kiss all the right ass. You endorse the right things. All to be visible for the industry and for your award bid. That's the "game."

And Mo'Nique didn't do a lot of that, apparently.

norm9

In the article:

Apparently he didn't feel like sharing exactly what he meant, but it sounds like there's some sort of campaign process you need to do in order to keep credibility among the showbiz crowd? The bit about "the performance bit the politics" is a real shame.

Makes a bit of sense. You're a big part of a movie and parading around mentioning the movie everywhere keeps the movie in peoples' minds and that helps with DVD sales and word of mouth and helps everyone make more money. Not doing that makes you not part of the team.

You don't pee in the cheerios of the people who provide the jobs

Eloquently stated.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Damn, her performance was good and she deserved the award but if you're gonna say that and expect to keep getting work you've better have put on the best performance of all time. Shoot, I don't think George Clooney could get away with saying that and everyone loves him.

Yeah, the public statement is likely what did it. It's one thing to not play the politics, but another to outright make a statement against it.

Not that I agree with the way the awards work.

Big-E

A lot of industries and individual offices are like this. You call out bullshit and you get taken. The world revolves around some bullshit and the bullshitters don't like it when someone calls them on it. I have seen complete incompetence and ineptitude get rewarded while questioning of bullshit be severely punished. Have no experience in the film industry, but I think this is just how a lot of things work now.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, the public statement is likely what did it. It's one thing to not play the politics, but another to outright make a statement against it.

Neither do I, it's majorly fucked up. That said, you can't say what she said and not expect to burn every bridge in the room. She burned not only the academy, but the other actresses that were up for the award as well as all the other winners with that one.

She's talented and I hope to see her in another movie, but you can't say that and not expect any backlash.

vikki

I'm confused about these politics and why they matter so much? They are mad at her backhanded compliment, so they show her how the politics work?

Actors can be real dumb sometimes. Only a select few can overvalue themselves and continue to get work.

She played the game wrong and has ended up losing.

Acorn

I'm confused about these politics and why they matter so much? They are mad at her backhanded compliment, so they show her how the politics work?
It's not that confusing. Take office or high school petty bullshit multiply it ten fold with gigantic egos and money.

rude

Banned
Oscars no longer mean your career is set, and haven't for a really long time.
In fact, many actors and actresses turn out worse work after they win one.

And Mo'Nique should have thought a bit harder. You can still remain elusive and distant while not directly biting the hand that feeds you. Lots of people who act aren't very active in campaigning, etc.

Joni

The entire award campaigning is a major boost to the publicity of a movie.

Instro

The job demands that you do various promotion and marketing for the studio and other players involved in the industry. She did not want to do that. You might be able to get some leeway with that kind of thing if you are an established big name, but that's not the case here.

I don't get it.. What did she do to get blackballed?

From what I'm reading in the OP, it seems like she didn't want to be like every other A-list Hollywood star and participate in the established process of becoming "famous". She just wanted her performance to be the only thing that mattered.

Sad fact is... It isn't the only thing that matters. She didn't want to play "the game", as in, she didn't want to have to go through the established motions (attending press conferences, public appearances and such) to earn her way to the top.

Networking really matters. When she wanted to do it the honest way without influencing people, she screwed up. The influencing is what counts more, performance is only part of the equation to becoming a successful Hollywood actor/actress.

jett

D-Member
From what I'm reading in the OP, it seems like she didn't want to be like every other A-list Hollywood star and participate in the established process of becoming "famous". She just wanted her performance to be the only thing that mattered.

Sad fact is... It isn't the only thing that matters. She didn't want to play "the game", as in, she didn't want to have to go through the established motions (attending press conferences, public appearances and such) to earn her way to the top.

Networking really matters. When she wanted to do it the honest way without influencing people, she screwed up. The influencing is what counts more, performance is only part of the equation to becoming a successful Hollywood actor/actress.

More importantly, she didn't want to promote the movie by making said appearances. Everyone does that. Even the Wachowskis, known media recluses, started doing it after their strings of bombs.

Exactly. Don't screw with the System or you will get screwed by it... Really sad, to be honest...

Shadownet

Banned
She didn't play the game.

There's a lot of politics involved with Hollywood. When you're up for awards, you go to all the awards shows, you wear the designer outfits for the tabloids. You do all the interviews and kiss all the right ass. You endorse the right things. All to be visible for the industry and for your award bid. That's the "game."

And Mo'Nique didn't do a lot of that, apparently.

I feel bad for her cause that's really fucked up. I'm sure she's a nice person to work with and if she performed well. Then those two things should be the only thing that matter.

I guess she's just one of those person who doesn't wanna do all the unnecessary shits.

Kinda like Super Bowl winning teams have their most recognizable players do commercials and stuff. Just part of the "politic" its BS. But its the sad real world.

Gorillaz

I can go forever on Wire quotes to fit the "she played the game wrong" quote lol

but, yea I assume the entertainment industry especially is very fickle with people saying some smart shit about behind curtain politics, probably could be said for alot of industries

kirblar

I can go forever on Wire quotes to fit the "she played the game wrong" quote lol

but, yea I assume the entertainment industry especially is very fickle with people saying some smart shit about behind curtain politics, probably could be said for alot of industries
This isn't even behind the curtain stuff- this is just standard visibility/promotional stuff for movies. All those talk show appearances and such are advertising.

norm9

This isn't even behind the curtain stuff- this is just standard visibility/promotional stuff for movies. All those talk show appearances and such are advertising.

Yeah, not doing basic promo is unforgivable. I don't know how Jim Carrey got away with badmouthing and distancing himself with Kickass 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom