• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's why Mo'Nique disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikki

I'm still not convinced not being nice at the Oscars or attending events/tv shows is part of it.

The only reason I say this is because I thought promoting a film by attending whatevers and smiling etc. is part of the contract and not simply a goodwill gesture by the actor/ess. Plus it's not like you don't get paid to be on some Oprah/Leno whatever anyway.

I was thinking this too. They say she didn't play the game, but what is the game? Sure you want your stars promoting the film, but I thought they were contractually obligated to promote the film.

So she was blackballed because after her contractual agreements were fulfilled she didn't go on another press tour for the film during the award season?and for studios looking for Oscars it is a cardinal sin not to do this even though they are not contractually obligated? That's the game?

If that's the way things are then I don't think Monique should be surprised at the results. To tell someone they are blackballed is a real ballsy move, though. I could see that biting someone in the ass.

shuri

Banned
  • Bruce Willis started doing this. Not giving a shit about promo, being an ass to the entire planet. What happened to his career? He's starting to show up in direct-to-dvd stuff..
  • Jim Carrey did this, what happened to his career? Check his imdb.. Slowing down and losing star power
  • Val Kilmer did this, what happened to his career? Check his imdb, he has been doing direct-to-dvd movies for more than a decade now (well he has health problems too now..)
  • Wesley did that too. What happened to his career (before his jail stint)?
  • Cuba Jr did the same.
  • JVCD started showing up half dead on drugs to interviews and started fucking around with his agents and it killed his career.
  • That Katherine Something actress that was in Nip and Tuck suffered a similar fate after dissing the crew

When you start pulling stuff like this, it just KILLS you career. Nobody wants to work with you after that, because you are seen as a potential liability. Those people had massive star powers and starred in the biggest franchises of their era. If the industry insiders drama managed to kill their careers, what do you think will happen to a smaller act like Monique?

I was thinking this too. They say she didn't play the game, but what is the game? Sure you want your stars promoting the film, but I thought they were contractually obligated to promote the film.

So she was blackballed because after her contractual agreements were fulfilled she didn't go on another press tour for the film during the award season?and for studios looking for Oscars it is a cardinal sin not to do this even though they are not contractually obligated? That's the game?

If that's the way things are then I don't think Monique should be surprised at the results. To tell someone they are blackballed is a real ballsy move, though. I could see that biting someone in the ass.

It's pretty much explained right in the OP. "The Game" is not just showing up for the press tour but it's "campaigning" by being super positive, happy, polite, and maintaining an expected outward image. Mo'nique, apparently, didn't do that. It seems a lot of Hollywood is offended when someone doesn't placate to the pageantry involved in the awards shows.

entremet

• Bruce Willis started doing this. Not giving a shit about promo, being an ass to the entire planet. What happened to his career? He's starting to show up in direct-to-dvd stuff..
  • Jim Carrey did this, what happened to his career? Check his imdb.. Slowing down and losing star power
  • Val Kilmer did this, what happened to his career? Check his imdb, he has been doing direct-to-dvd movies for more than a decade now (well he has health problems too now..)
  • Cuba Jr did the same.
  • JVCD started showing up half dead on drugs to interviews and started fucking around with his agents and it killed his career.
  • That Katherine Something actress that was in Nip and Tuck suffered a similar fate after dissing the crew

When you start pulling stuff like this, it just KILLS you career. Nobody wants to work with you after that, because you are seen as a potential liability. Those people had massive star powers and starred in the biggest franchises of their era. If the industry insiders drama managed to kill their careers, what do you think will happen to a smaller act like Monique?

It just seems these people started getting old and had box office failures.

Wesley was doing well but his notorious antics caught up with him, plus tax issues.

Well I understand their reasoning. All they are saying is she didn't pitch in for the campaign, didn't work the media, etc. It was unfair to rest of the Precious crowd. And the girl who played Precious, she's actually doing alright for herself. Mo'Nique wanted stuff on silver platter, and she can't expect that. She isn't Daniel Day Lewis.

• Cuba Jr did the same.

Some of the stars you listed were also mismanaged and had problems beyond being "blacklisted". They also started sucking at the box office, which is what those businesses care about.

But yes, the business of show business will chew up and spit out people like nobody's business. It must be soul crushing to work and become a name, only to have it taken away from the same people that they had to gladhand and brown nose to.

Slayven

Yeah you are suppose to just smile and nod. You are always walking a thin line between getting work and not. Got to play the game especially as a woman and being black.

Sad really

riotous

Banned
Always just sounds like brats not wanting to do part of their incredibly well paid job to me.

I mean, if her treatment is worse because she's black and/or female I feel bad; but in general I don't for actors in her position.

If all you care about is your performance art there are plenty of acting venues that don't include PR as part of the job; often written right into your contract you sign.

Oppo

you break contracts you don't get paid. She likely turned down someone's "implied" invitation. I mean, doing promos is part of the biz, but they literally don't give a fuck about your time, and some people don't have time for all that, especially when they're trying to get work elsewhere after working on your movie project.

It seems more like they just decided to put Monique in her place. She's a tv star from black television shows. Those people don't get to fool with the forces of nature.

Monique needs to go holler at Tyler, or needs to go do some more television. She's gotta hustle now, instead of waiting for the industry to come to her, because the industry has a bug up it's ass.

Well there is a place where actors can go to rely on pure performance and very little promo/junket time. It's called stage acting. She could probably get a Broadway gig. Of course, what those gigs lack in press tour time, they more than make up for in sheer number of performances.

JCX

I'm surprised she didn't just go back to standup. That's a perk of being a comic. There are far less comedians turned actors who still tour standup now that their star has faded. I bet she could still pack a club or small theater.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Honestly, this is the way it works in pretty much every industry. Networking is a huge part of anyone's career. I find it funny how actors get all high and mighty sometimes as if they are above the peasants and don't have to actually work.

Well I understand their reasoning. All they are saying is she didn't pitch in for the campaign, didn't work the media, etc. It was unfair to rest of the Precious crowd. And the girl who played Precious, she's actually doing alright for herself. Mo'Nique wanted stuff on silver platter, and she can't expect that. She isn't Daniel Day Lewis.

I think there's a difference between wanting things on a silver platter and wanting to be recognized for the work you did and not the ass kissing you do. That was Monique's gripe. She put in her work when she gave her great performance

Always just sounds like brats not wanting to do part of their incredibly well paid job to me.

I mean, if her treatment is worse because she's black and/or female I feel bad; but in general I don't for actors in her position.

If all you care about is your performance art there are plenty of acting venues that don't include PR as part of the job; often written right into your contract you sign.

Look at her IMDB page and the movies and shows she was featured in.

Most of them were either taking losses or barely broke above their value.

I'd hardly say she was "incredibly well paid".

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I think there's a difference between wanting things on a silver platter and wanting to be recognized for the work you did and not the ass kissing you do. That was Monique's gripe. She put in her work when she gave her great performance

Try to get ahead in any industry without networking. It's pretty hard. Her job is also to promote her work. To speak with people. To get others to see her work. To get the public to see her work. To make money for the people that are paying her.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual

She probably didn't earn millions outright for the film, but I bet there was some sort of backend deal based on box office returns and a bonus for award wins. According to Wiki, Precious made a profit of $53+ million (budget vs box office), so I'm guessing she made a decent paycheck in the end.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yeah, not doing basic promo is unforgivable. I don't know how Jim Carrey got away with badmouthing and distancing himself with Kickass 2.
Dumb and dumber to?
You call that getting away with it?

riotous

Banned

Even the bare minimum is thousands per week of work. There are no actors who aren't incredibly well paid (well Hollywood actors and any production that works with SAG actors).

Guys, she did the press she was supposed to do. She promoted the film. She just didn't do it in the way that they wanted her too. She's a comic at heart and her brand of comedy is on the harsher side. So to her, she didn't want to be this fake image in order to garner votes. She was herself. Which meant not kissing a ton of ass and not trying to fit the image that Hollywood prefers.

vikki

It's pretty much explained right in the OP. "The Game" is not just showing up for the press tour but it's "campaigning" by being super positive, happy, polite, and maintaining an expected outward image. Mo'nique, apparently, didn't do that. It seems a lot of Hollywood is offended when someone doesn't placate to the pageantry involved in the awards shows.

So really it's her own fault why she's not getting work.

what's the difference between being blackballed and blacklisted

Is it James Woods or James Spader?

riotous

Banned
Maybe if she's a unionized actress? I don't know how the payscale is in that business.

She's been in the industry for almost 2 decades; she almost surely is a member of SAG. Hell, she won a SAG award for her role in Precious.

Many SAG actors struggle to make a great living but they are all paid very well for their time they are actually working.

BkMogul

If you act a certain way, expect to be treated that way in kind. Especially with fickle Hollywood bigwigs. I'm surprised she was offered those roles by Daniels, but I guess the powers that be have the final say and when you've cemented a certain kind of reputation, it's tough to find high-profile work. You reap what you sow.

She's been in the industry for almost 2 decades; she almost surely is a member of SAG. Hell, she won a SAG award for her role in Precious.

Many SAG actors struggle to make a great living but they are all paid very well for their time they are actually working.

I believe you must be a member of SAG to even have a speaking role in most productions.

I am a physician, currently in residency. The program I am in is generally very chill. We have conferences every week, but they are pretty relaxed. You can come in scrubs, jeans, whatever, unless you are presenting. If you are presenting something, you are expected to clean up, dress nice, and act professional. The same goes with any important meeting. You can feel free to not follow the expectations, and some people have done that, but don't be surprised when you are treated differently by faculty regardless of how smart you are or how good of a physician you are.

Every industry has its expectations. Networking and being able to function within those expectations is part of the game you have to play in order to function within a given industry. If you don't agree with those expectation you can feel free to try and change them but don't be surprised if it backfires on you. Also don't be surprised if the people you offend don't want to work with you at a later date.

I'm not disagreeing in that previous post, just pointing out that she did fulfill her obligations as many people seem to think she didn't.

It's important to note that the fact that no one noticed anything out of the ordinary with Mo'niques press appearances suggests that she probably didn't quite hit the extremes that some of the earlier listed actors did. I mean the OP criticizes her for not shaving her legs, as if anyone not standing immediately next to her would even notice, let alone care about. Every industry has expectations for presentation, sure. The question I would pose is, are the expectations for Hollywood actors on the extreme side?

The question I would pose is, are the expectations for Hollywood actors on the extreme side?

Absolutely. For TV and Movies, a business where people are the product, yes.

But, that's why they are rewarded with either well paying work or influence/clout in said business.

Seems to me some people are confusing networking with pageantry (which is somewhat understandable as the person quoted in the OP seems to be referring to both somewhat interchangeably). They're two very different things. One is unfortunately necessary as in most industries, the other is superficial pablum only the adolescent narcissists who run Hollywood would consider normal standards for job performance.

And what's he doing now?

IIyPaRl.gif

I doubt not doing press for an indie production is what got her blacklisted.

Questioning the Oscar campaigning process publicly probably isn't enough either--see: Joaquin Phoenix, Michael Fassbinder, etc. But doing so on-stage and especially while accepting the award itself is probably what got her in the cross-hairs of Hollywood studios.

And it sounds like Lee Daniels still wants to work with her, so she could always wait until he has enough clout to push her back in, or somehow find another director who's casting older black women in their indie films.

I doubt not doing press for an indie production is what got her blacklisted.

Questioning the Oscar campaigning process publicly probably isn't enough either--see: Joaquin Phoenix, Michael Fassbinder, etc. But doing so on-stage and especially while accepting the award itself is probably what got her in the cross-hairs of Hollywood studios.

And it sounds like Lee Daniels still wants to work with her, so she could always wait until he has enough clout to push her back in, or somehow find another director who's casting older black women in their indie films.

they do find other black women, the problem seems to be they are not hiring HER

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Why would it be? If someone is particularly difficult to work with, why would companies that have to run entire crews have to accommodate for an individual, regardless of talent? Unless I'm misunderstanding what "blacklisting" actually means. I guess it's putting somebody in a "black list" i.e. "don't call this person"?

I honestly don't see how it is "objectively bad". Would you say an actor/actress who's been an unrepentant (key word) racist/homophobe shouldn't be blacklisted?

edit: I'm not saying that Mo'nique should have been blacklisted, by the way. I'm just addressing what I bolded in your quote. I find it sad that she was blacklisted because she wouldn't dance the corporate song (if this is indeed what happened).

I think any of us could think of a million good reasons to exclude someone - maybe they're a psycho, a racist or whatever, the thing I think is objectively bad is the idea that a secret unappealable list can destroy your career (communism in Hollywood in the 50s and 60s for example).

Absolutely. For TV and Movies, a business where people are the product, yes.

But, that's why they are rewarded with either well paying work or influence/clout in said business.

This is the crux of the issue, I think. There are those that feel that for TV and Film, like Books, the content should be the product. The story, the plot, the acting, etc... The people themselves shouldn't be the product. However the movie industry has, for a long time, realized that people can sell the product nearly regardless of the products quality and that's then made the industry one of selling people rather than stories.

To tear someone down or blacklist/blackball them for saying "pay attention to the content rather than the packaging" seems more mean spirited than anything else. People will pay for good content, it's just harder to create good content and I think Hollywood likes it's easy paint-by-numbers tent poles and would rather no one bring attention to it.

they do find other black women, the problem seems to be they are not hiring HER

I'm talking about her finding a role in an independent film, not a studio production. But I guess if you were the director, then you might be worried casting her would destroy your chances of securing traditional distribution (i.e. Lee Daniel's The Butler).

I think any of us could think of a million good reasons to exclude someone - maybe they're a psycho, a racist or whatever, the thing I think is objectively bad is the idea that a secret unappealable list can destroy your career (communism in Hollywood in the 50s and 60s for example).

Oh, ok, that makes sense. I was being naive in thinking that the list would only be used "for good". You're right then. Thanks.

I'm talking about her finding a role in an independent film, not a studio production. But I guess if you were the director, then you might be worried casting her would destroy your chances of securing traditional distribution (i.e. Lee Daniel's The Butler).

true

To those of you who don't understand "the game," just listen to Patrice O'Neal break down the Hollywood game:

Really you should just listen from the beginning up until about an hour in, but the real discussion begins at around 19:20 and then stop at around 30:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZcmFeIyZNo&t=19m20s

holy shit.

it goes to show this transcends race and gender and social status. scratch my back or i fuck up yours. i didn't expect much from spike lee, but this is telling.

i wonder who Dane Cook pissed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom