• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's why Mo'Nique disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.
so in the end it always loops back to the root of everything: MONEY

she wanted to be paid for OSCAR appearances and promotions it seems.

Maybe it is an unwritten rule in Hollywood that Actors work pro-bono the carpet scene since it's basically the most illustrious of advertising. the mecca of ad impressions.

or perhaps she tried to apply what she learned from the standup comedy scene and found out the hard way the rules don't mix. I read in comments about standup comic sometimes not being paid for their appearances.

Anyone remember this?

iIbN7wDPe1IOo.gif

This was Samuel L after she won.

She definitely pissed some people off, with whatever it was that she did.

Has Sam Jackson ever been close to getting a nomination?

Are you sure it's not jealously or anything to that effect?

DominoKid

Theres something hilarious about getting fucked over by the game you didnt want to play. Shouldve just kissed ass and keep getting them checks.

royalan

Theres something hilarious about getting fucked over by the game you didnt want to play. Shouldve just kissed ass and keep getting them checks.

The thing is if Mo'Nique doesn't want to play the game, she doesn't have to. I'm fairly positive her traditional ways of having her name out there are still available to her. Black folk love Mo'Nique, they aren't going to turn their back on her that easily. I'm sure she could still do successful comedy tours, do some theater shows, maybe even a sitcom.

The problem here is that Mo'Nique had an open window to jump to that "next tier" of celebrity, and instead of jumping through it, she slammed it shut. I'm not altogether sure she truly regrets it, though.

Syriel

What "game" didn't she play?

Gotta play the game or your done ala Game of Thrones.

That was the question I was about to ask as well? What was the game? I almost feel like its gotta be something completely fucked up and soul-destroying.

I don't get it.. What did she do to get blackballed?

Like she refused to endorse Ron Paul so her career is no longer happening?

Refusing to promote her own movie.
Refusing to do interviews.
Refusing to make appearances.

When you headline a film, those types of promotional activities are part of the job.

For better or for worse, by not doing them, it's like refusing to do part of her job.

An actress peaks early by landing a great role then fades into relative anonymity after not being able to capitalize on it?

Shocking, that NEVER happens in hollywood.

Chumly

Refusing to promote her own movie.
Refusing to do interviews.
Refusing to make appearances.

When you headline a film, those types of promotional activities are part of the job.

For better or for worse, by not doing them, it's like refusing to do part of her job.
Yep. Not really hard to understand and not surprising that she got blacklisted.

Meowster

That is her own fault and very selfish of her. She should have promoted her movie, it was an indie film that (potentially) could have underperformed and she should have done her part for it.

He was nominated for Jules in Pulp Fiction, and lost to Martin Landau for Bela Lugosi in Ed Wood.

Considering the large number of movies he's done, I'm surprised only one.

The unions have a monopoly in Hollywood.

If you have anyone in a speaking role who is *NOT* a union member, none of the union members will work with you.

Any stories about this? I didn't know actors had that much control.

kirblar

It's the actor's guild. There are regulations and such in place to protect their interests, much like a Bar/Medical association or other professional organization.

The problem here is that Mo'Nique had an open window to jump to that "next tier" of celebrity, and instead of jumping through it, she slammed it shut. I'm not altogether sure she truly regrets it, though.

paraphrasing here.

Mo'nique:

"hat I understood was that when I won that Oscar, things would change in all the ways you're saying: It should come with more respect, more choices and more money. It should, and it normally does."

sounds like she regrets it a little bit

gdt

Any stories about this? I didn't know actors had that much control.

You know how musicians get fucked out of money all the time...? And you know how you never hear about that and actors/directors? The unions are why. Actors smartened up. But yes you don't fuck with the actors union. Or the writers one.

gdt

I kinda feel like the original paycheck covered any appearances and talk shows and any promoting she had to do. But I guess I can see how a stand up would have a different view on things.

But still, there's no conspiracy going on, it's just why hire her if she was such a huge pain in the ass last time?

You know how musicians get fucked out of money all the time...? And you know how you never hear about that and actors/directors? The unions are why. Actors smartened up. But yes you don't fuck with the actors union. Or the writers one.

Well I know why there are ridiculous stipulation put into entertainment contracts like No Brown M&M's by Van Halen.(make sure people and powers be actually read the contract)

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/vanhalen.asp

I didn't think that actors are able to unionize so effectively.

Toothless

Let's be honest though: it's not like winning an Oscar is that helpful. I mean since Mo'Nique, we've got winning Supporting Actress:

Melissa Leo - taken small roles in dramas (Prisoners) or awful popcorn movies (Olympus Has Fallen).
Octavia Spencer - probably the best; had an Oscar buzz-y role in Fruitvale, appears in other baity movies (Get On Up, Snowpiercer) and took the lead on a TV show.
Anne Hathaway - disappeared for a year and then showed up in Interstellar and has absolutely nothing lined up.
Lupita Nyong'o - She's in Star Wars but as of now, her only post-Oscar release is a cameo in Non-Stop
Patricia Arquette - hasn't won yet, but she's got it locked. That said, she has a gig on CSI Cyber lined up, so it's going entirely to waste anyway.

No one's career except Lupita and Octavia were helped by the win.

He was snubbed hardcore for Django. Best actor in that movie. Hopefully Hateful Eight has a juicy role for him; I love SLJ when he gives an effort (Kingsman and Django are the only recent examples of that sadly).

jred2k

Well I know why there are ridiculous stipulation put into entertainment contracts like No Brown M&M's by Van Halen.(make sure people and powers be actually read the contract)

Thats called a rider and is between the performers and the venues. What the other poster is talking about is how musicians make pennies on album sales.

Let's be honest though: it's not like winning an Oscar is that helpful. I mean since Mo'Nique, we've got winning Supporting Actress:

Melissa Leo - taken small roles in dramas (Prisoners) or awful popcorn movies (Olympus Has Fallen).
Octavia Spencer - probably the best; had an Oscar buzz-y role in Fruitvale, appears in other baity movies (Get On Up, Snowpiercer) and took the lead on a TV show.
Anne Hathaway - disappeared for a year and then showed up in Interstellar and has absolutely nothing lined up.
Lupita Nyong'o - She's in Star Wars but as of now, her only post-Oscar release is a cameo in Non-Stop
Patricia Arquette - hasn't won yet, but she's got it locked. That said, she has a gig on CSI Cyber lined up, so it's going entirely to waste anyway.

All winning supporting actress does, generally speaking, is make sure that you're consistently working (which all of these actresses are). It's winning Best Actress that generally means that you get to star in bigger movies (if you weren't already).

To those of you who don't understand "the game," just listen to Patrice O'Neal break down the Hollywood game:

Really you should just listen from the beginning up until about an hour in, but the real discussion begins at around 19:20 and then stop at around 30:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZcmFeIyZNo&t=19m20s

Aww man. Patrice... Still bums me out.

Great example of a guy who wasn't more famous because he didn't want to play the game.

His appearance on Marc Maron's pod is fantastic. Talks a bit about trying to work in Hollywood and make it. He also talks about looking up to Chazz Palminteri and how he managed to get his dream project, A Bronx Tale made without completely giving into the Hollywood machine. That's at around 1:12:00. It's a great listen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gLWvpHMrf4

h1nch

I agree that promoting a film is part of an actor's job and if she bailed on that part then shame on her.

However, I don't think she deserves any flack or to be blackballed specifically because of her refusal to campaign for an oscar. I find the idea of campaigning for an award to be somewhat distasteful.

Squire

Banned
An actress peaks early by landing a great role then fades into relative anonymity after not being able to capitalize on it?

Shocking, that NEVER happens in hollywood.

That's not the story here though. She could have capitalized on it; she made stupid choices when she should have taken a big bite of the humble pie and made the very obvious choices that would've acted as an investment into her career.

Wanting to be paid to promote a film? Dissing awards culture on the regular? This is career suicide. I'm not even saying I like the culture she was criticizing here; I actually figure most actors don't. But indulging is what let's you keep getting roles and keep getting paid. It doesn't matter if you like it, you grin and bare it. That's the game in question and reading this, Mo'Nique didn't even show up let alone play it badly.

Joni

These things aren't hidden in contracts. They're just a separate list of demands that is given to a concert venue as part of the deal. It is not to make sure the powers in be actually read it, it is to make sure the musicians just get what they want. The brown M&Ms one tests how detailled the venues are, not to trick them.

Bleepey

These things aren't hidden in contracts. They're just a separate list of demands that is given to a concert venue as part of the deal. It is not to make sure the powers in be actually read it, it is to make sure the musicians just get what they want. The brown M&Ms one tests how detailled the venues are, not to trick them.

Actually the bowl of MnMs and similar tests are an ingenious and quick way to to see if safety requirements were being met and followed. The reason for it being, if say Kiss or a band like that had pyrotechnics or other theatrical bullshit like that that may have certain safety requirements; bands would have these ridiculous demands because if the venues were able to follow demands like only blue and yellow MnMs they probably read the part in the contract which specified to check the rigging, pyrotechnics etc.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
She refuses to advertise for her movies, so the studios don't want to hire her. Sounds kind of like how business works, Mo'.

akira28

Has Sam Jackson ever been close to getting a nomination?

Are you sure it's not jealously or anything to that effect?

I doubt Sam needs the recognition of "the Academy" when he has all of Hollywood on his jock. As i recall, that picture he was talking with his wife when he made that face, so maybe it has nothing to do with anything. Or maybe they were discussing something or another.

It set his career down the darkest path possible.

I thought it was Horatio Sanz that did that.

He was snubbed hardcore for Django. Best actor in that movie. Hopefully Hateful Eight has a juicy role for him; I love SLJ when he gives an effort (Kingsman and Django are the only recent examples of that sadly).

The other factor is that Mo'nique is black, which automatically decreases her potential roles. Black and overweight, in fact. I'm not denying that Hollywood cut the lifeline on her career, but to be honest she was always on a short leash anyway due to what she looks and sounds like. Even the roles she missed out on post-blackballing are pretty generic, typecast roles for people who look like her.

Everyone was all over Lupita during the 12 Years A Slave run but she's pretty much gone now. Yea Star Wars will be huge, but is she going to get a starring role in a romance or drama? Or any role that fits her talent? No, because the majority of those roles are specifically written for white actresses. Either an established white actress or an up and coming actress the studios are making into a star. I always bring up Jeremy Renner, and compare him to Jennifer Lawrence. Renner was shoe horned into multiple big films after The Hurt Locker; it was clear he was the next big guy. Yet the films didn't do particularly well and he faded out. If things had gone well for him, he'd probably be the guy in American Sniper, doing the Oscar rounds. On the flip side Jennifer Lawrence got that greenlight and people loved her. Hence why she's still big.

There's a long list of black actresses who won awards and disappeared. Octavia Spencer. Jennifer Hudson. Viola Davis (Golden Globe). Lupita and Mo'Nique. And I'm sure in the next couple years there will be another slavery or Civil Rights era film that garners another black actress buzz and an award. That's the game.

And it's not just black actresses btw. What happened to the lady from Slumdog Millionaire?

The other factor is that Mo'nique is black, which automatically decreases her potential roles. Black and overweight, in fact. I'm not denying that Hollywood cut the lifeline on her career, but to be honest she was always on a short leash anyway due to what she looks and sounds like. Even the roles she missed out on post-blackballing are pretty generic, typecast roles for people who look like her.

Everyone was all over Lupita during the 12 Years A Slave run but she's pretty much gone now. Yea Star Wars will be huge, but is she going to get a starring role in a romance or drama? Or any role that fits her talent? No, because the majority of those roles are specifically written for white actresses. Either an established white actress or an up and coming actress the studios are making into a star. I always bring up Jeremy Renner, and compare him to Jennifer Lawrence. Renner was shoe horned into multiple big films after The Hurt Locker; it was clear he was the next big guy. Yet the films didn't do particularly well and he faded out. If things had gone well for him, he'd probably be the guy in American Sniper, doing the Oscar rounds. On the flip side Jennifer Lawrence got that greenlight and people loved her. Hence why she's still big.

There's a long list of black actresses who won awards and disappeared. Octavia Spencer. Jennifer Hudson. Viola Davis (Golden Globe). Lupita and Mo'Nique. And I'm sure in the next couple years there will be another slavery or Civil Rights era film that garners another black actress buzz and an award. That's the game.

And it's not just black actresses btw. What happened to the lady from Slumdog Millionaire?

Frieda Pinto? *shrugs*

Haven't seen her in anything since rise of the planet of the Apes.

I really hope Chadwick Boseman finds some staying power besides doing those historical drama/biopic roles.

Pluto

Actually the bowl of MnMs and similar tests are an ingenious and quick way to to see if safety requirements were being met and followed. The reason for it being, if say Kiss or a band like that had pyrotechnics or other theatrical bullshit like that that may have certain safety requirements; bands would have these ridiculous demands because if the venues were able to follow demands like only blue and yellow MnMs they probably read the part in the contract which specified to check the rigging, pyrotechnics etc.
That's not ingenious, that's idiotic. Just because someone doesn't pick brown M&Ms out of an bowl doesn't mean the venue doesn't take care of other things like pyrotechnics. Maybe they correctly think that sorting M&Ms is a fucking joke and completely unnecessary, people are able to think for themselves and can set priorities.

This would only work if the band had hired trained monkeys who do everything by the letter or not at all but that's not how it works in real life.

Bleepey

That's not ingenious, that's idiotic. Just because someone doesn't pick brown M&Ms out of an bowl doesn't mean the venue doesn't take care of other things like pyrotechnics. Maybe they correctly think that sorting M&Ms is a fucking joke and completely unnecessary, people are able to think for themselves and can set priorities.

This would only work if the band had hired trained monkeys who do everything by the letter or not at all but that's not how it works in real life.

Look at the NPR link I posted. It makes sense. If the bowl of MnMs are as requested that means they at the very least read the contract properly and not skimmed through it. If there are the incorrect MnMs it's probably the first warning flag that they have not been paying attention and that there aren't trained monkeys looking over everything related to safety.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I'm not saying you're wrong, you are right and I do agree with your larger point, but Viola Davis is starring in a show on ABC and from what I hear it's doing very well (it's got 86% on Rotten Tomatoes). TV isn't quite the graveyard for actors that it once was. Not only that, she had like a movie a year before going to TV. She didn't exactly disappear, you just haven't been watching her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom