• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's why Mo'Nique disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

norm9

All she has to do is do a low budget indie and hope she strikes gold again. Not impossible, but improbable.

benjipwns

Banned
Yeah, not doing basic promo is unforgivable. I don't know how Jim Carrey got away with badmouthing and distancing himself with Kickass 2.
Jim Carrey's like ten thousand levels above a property like Kickass. He's his own brand.

Mo'Nique didn't have that kind of clout despite The Parkers and Soul Plane. She's effectively "replaceable" in terms of how it affects a movie's money making. Jim Carrey's name alone probably makes a lot of movies viable.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Makes a bit of sense. You're a big part of a movie and parading around mentioning the movie everywhere keeps the movie in peoples' minds and that helps with DVD sales and word of mouth and helps everyone make more money. Not doing that makes you not part of the team.

Precious, based on the novel Push by Sapphire, did not suffer lack of exposure due to Mo'Nique. Fuc* the politics.

Dabanton

Yeah, not doing basic promo is unforgivable. I don't know how Jim Carrey got away with badmouthing and distancing himself with Kickass 2.

I don't think he got away with that as cleanly as he'd like. A look at his IMDB page shows his last movie was Dumb and Dumber Too and he has no other films in production. Doing what he did to KA2 would have had producers everywhere saying fuck him. His probably seen as a liability.

Yeah this happens in any industry that is small enough to allow it. Basically she has to wait for the people blacklisting her to die off or "Forgive" her/forget her

Fight/feud with people on your level but don't badmouth/expose the higher ups.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The job demands that you do various promotion and marketing for the studio and other players involved in the industry. She did not want to do that. You might be able to get some leeway with that kind of thing if you are an established big name, but that's not the case here.

Yup, and while it's unfortunate, it's actually quite reasonable. And a contract is a contract.

That's a general observation, since I have no idea what her contract or circumstances are.

Edit. Obviously blacklisting is objectively bad. Just mean the initial expectation.

Dabanton

Looking at her IMDB page is sad as hell. She's been throughly blackballed.

Someone should have forewarned her play the game or kill your career. Now when you see actors looking bored as fuck at those 2 hour press conferences or even worse those all day one on one magazine and TV interviews you know whats up.

benjipwns

Banned
or even worse those all day one on one magazine and TV interviews you know whats up.
I've seen some raw footage of those where you see each "reporter" come in rather than just their individual snippet and it almost makes you suicidal. Especially whenever Byron Allen shows up.

Some of the actors were actually happy when the fake joke character guys would come in because it was different lol

Networking really matters. When she wanted to do it the honest way without influencing people, she screwed up. The influencing is what counts more, performance is only part of the equation to becoming a successful Hollywood actor/actress.

Had to bold for emphasis. In this town, that truth doesn't just apply to actors/actresses, but EVERY entertainment-based thing in Los Angeles. It's ugly and disgusting but it is what is is.

ElyrionX

Doesn't this apply to many high power jobs? Politics exist everywhere and it's a very hard climb up the ladder if you don't play the game.

Joni

Precious, based on the novel Push by Sapphire, did not suffer lack of exposure due to Mo'Nique. Fuc* the politics.
She created a huge set of 'what if' by not doing any promotion
What if her next movie does need exposure?
What if she isn't good enough to win her next nomination?
What if she is good enough to win next time but another nominee was equally good?

Dabanton

What's also very interesting is how other black producers,Directors and actors seemingly have no work for her either.

They've probably been told the same thing, if they suggested her for roles.

I feel bad for her, but she pretty much showed her willingness not to play by the book for something that would give her movie a lot more promotion. This kind of business 101 when you are trying to sell a product.

Log4Girlz

Doesn't this apply to many high power jobs? Politics exist everywhere and it's a very hard climb up the ladder if you don't play the game.

Acting is just playing pretend. Its all about personal power and charisma. Don't network or play nice with the people putting in millions to put a movie together and make a return on their investment, and out you go.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
She didn't do part of her job, I can understand why people would be angry. I don't see it as some great affront that an actor has to do promotional work for the film they are in, everyone knows that is the way it is for Hollywood.

Corpekata

Banned
I don't know if it's "part of her job" to be part of a PR machine for a really small movie like Precious. Unlikely anyone making that movie got paid a lot and they probably didn't expect it to blow up.

Someone that took a 20 million dollar check for a superhero movie, yeah, that person probably should be doing PR, and probably even is contractually obligated to.

Dabanton

I don't know if it's "part of her job" to be part of a PR machine for a really small movie like Precious. Unlikely anyone making that movie got paid a lot and they probably didn't expect it to blow up.

Someone that took a 20 million dollar check for a superhero movie, yeah, that person probably should be doing PR, and probably even is contractually obligated to.

I think from their POV a smaller film does need that extra visibility and PR and of course the film was nominated at a lot of high profile award shows.

The most sobering thing to take from all of this is Mo'Nique won a Golden Globe, a SAG Award, a BAFTA and an Academy Award for her role.

And now she can't find film work lol.

rakhir

Well, everything looks like she's just not a person you'd like to work with, so it shouldnt be a surprise that everyone doesn't want to give her roles.

But isn't there a clause in actor's contracts that states that they have to promote their movies? I don't know if it was there in such a small movie like Precious though.

Joni

It is not only part of her 'current' job but also part of her 'next' job. It is promoting the movie and your own personal brand.

andthebeatgoeson

So, the sexism and racism game? Didn't shave her legs and look a certain way, acted like a 'primitive' and most of all, didn't kiss ass before becoming established, so everyone will ignore the inherent sexism and racism.

Oppo

I feel bad for her, but she pretty much showed her willingness not to play by the book for something that would give her movie a lot more promotion. This kind of business 101 when you are trying to sell a product.

I don't feel bad for her. promotion is a huge part of a performer's job. she proved difficult to work with. actors get "blackballed" all the tine just for being dicks on set. word gets around.

she almost certainly broke a contract.

(the VF comment is totally gross however.)

getting an oscar noms/wins will increase your BO intake and overall sales, having actors campaign for oscar noms/wins will make it more likely to get them.
she refused to do so and thus hurting the business. i see no problem here. it's part of the game.

this time she was a lock for the win but in the future she maybe not and that might cost them millions, i wouldn't work with her again if i had good alternatives.

Bleepey

Hell didn't Megan Fox get blackballed for a while till she rewashed Michael Bay'a car or something. I thought Hugo Weaving would be at risk of this because he talked shit about Marvel and playing the role of the Red Skull as well as hating doing the voice for Megatron. But it seems according to his IMDB page no fucks were given and he still gets work.

Foffy

Banned

His views didn't really seem to no longer mesh with that kind of product. He seems far more interested in Eastern philosophy and spirituality than the typical Western game of egoic showmanship and flaunting violence.

I'm not saying which of the two is more "valid", but he's very obviously tried to take a more peaceful role with his life, and has started to do things beyond movies.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member

What movie needs promotion more: The small budget film or the multi-million dollar super hero movie starring actors people know and want to see?

BowieZ

Banned
I suspect it's more complex than it seems. It could be simply that various higher-up producers just don't like her. From what I've seen, she seems to have a somewhat arrogant, annoying persona... and so maybe her lack of campaigning sort of solidified that? ... Maybe I'm way off here?

But, still, if her performance really was that good, surely it's not that much of a risk that her next performance will be somewhere close to being just as good, and that it will help spur levels of publicity similar to that which Precious enjoyed?

Corpekata

Banned
What movie needs promotion more: The small budget film or the multi-million dollar super hero movie starring actors people know and want to see?

What does a movie's needs have to do with anything? There are probably dozens of movies with "stars" a year that don't have their actors stumping for them in public. If every indie movie an actor makes would require a big press tour we'd probably be seeing a lot of them in less movies. The big budget affairs pay for that time so they don't go off making another movie or taking a vacation. If you're working for scale on a low budget picture I can very easily see why someone would not want to dedicate the next 6 months of their lives promoting it.

Hell didn't Megan Fox get blackballed for a while till she rewashed Michael Bay'a car or something. I thought Hugo Weaving would be at risk of this because he talked shit about Marvel and playing the role of the Red Skull as well as hating doing the voice for Megatron. But it seems according to his IMDB page no fucks were given and he still gets work.
when did he do those things?

Joni

Hell didn't Megan Fox get blackballed for a while till she rewashed Michael Bay'a car or something.

The funny thing is: Michael Bay still liked Fox after her outbreak. He just had to work together with Spielberg for Transformers who is the wrong person to piss off.

Doesn't surprise me at all. For all its pretenses of inclusiveness and progressive thinking, the Hollywood industry is really quite racist/prejudicing and a depressing mix of nepotism and stark greed. It really tempered my interests when I was younger of trying to pursue the business.

Sounds like she took a naive notion of relying on the strength of her performance to speak for itself.

she tried to make the whole process of movie recognition be based on the aspect of art for sake of art. that's why she did few interviews and the whole not-shaving-her legs thing. To promote the idea that you don't need glam and glitter and all this superficial aspect to the Hollywood cog machine.

and that bit her in the ass. She forgot she is in the entertainment industry. this ain't a necessity like food or medicine. This is a business built on impressions and eyes looking at you. And to get more eyes looking at you you HAVE to do the promotion tour.

Because it's not just you that's relying on impressions. it's every actor, set designer, director, and yes even the "greedy and evil" studios. 10 million dollar indie film might not seem like a big deal. but that's 10 fucking MILLION dollars that didn't come out of your pocket and you have an obligation, if not outright legal obligation, to make sure at least the investment is returned.

She was not a big name star who had pull on her name alone. She could have with one or two more movies under her belt. but she jumped the gun.

Yup, and while it's unfortunate, it's actually quite reasonable. And a contract is a contract.

That's a general observation, since I have no idea what her contract or circumstances are.

Edit. Obviously blacklisting is objectively bad. Just mean the initial expectation.

Why would it be? If someone is particularly difficult to work with, why would companies that have to run entire crews have to accommodate for an individual, regardless of talent? Unless I'm misunderstanding what "blacklisting" actually means. I guess it's putting somebody in a "black list" i.e. "don't call this person"?

I honestly don't see how it is "objectively bad". Would you say an actor/actress who's been an unrepentant (key word) racist/homophobe shouldn't be blacklisted?

edit: I'm not saying that Mo'nique should have been blacklisted, by the way. I'm just addressing what I bolded in your quote. I find it sad that she was blacklisted because she wouldn't dance the corporate song (if this is indeed what happened).

Zaptruder

Banned
The game is playing it up like motion pictures are a higher art form, and that acting is a higher calling.

The reality is its an industry, and there are customers and products. Actors and their cachet are part of that packaging.

If you don't engage in the work to ensure that you're a part of the marketable package, you'll be replaced with someone else that does. It's that fuckin' simple.

Why would hollywood want to offer roles to you when they can find someone else they think will generate better returns for them*?

*especially if they can establish a good working relationship where they know you'll do the work to ensure that your cachet is relevant, and that you maximize the opportunities given to you.

Oscars are a freakin' marketing tool. You're given the opportunity to use this marketing tool to solidify your popularity among the customers. And what do you do? You ignore it... well, you might as well not have won the damn thing from the perspective of people trying to sell you as part of the packaging for their products.

If you want to act, go to broadway.

As great as her performance was in Precious, where did she think she was gonna go afterwards if she chose not to be a part of the hype machine?

Not doing promo and PR for the movie that allowed you to be in the running for the Oscar just screams irresponsible to me.

As much as show business pretends to be all about high art and great storytelling and blah blah blah, it's still a business and people need to make money in order to make more films.

It really sucks to hear this about Mo'Nique as well. She's one of the funniest comediennes in Hollywood when she's on her A Game. She deserved many more roles that would give her more money or bigger clout in Hollywood.

I'm still not convinced not being nice at the Oscars or attending events/tv shows is part of it.

The only reason I say this is because I thought promoting a film by attending whatevers and smiling etc. is part of the contract and not simply a goodwill gesture by the actor/ess. Plus it's not like you don't get paid to be on some Oprah/Leno whatever anyway.

akira28

I don't feel bad for her. promotion is a huge part of a performer's job. she proved difficult to work with. actors get "blackballed" all the tine just for being dicks on set. word gets around.

she almost certainly broke a contract.

(the VF comment is totally gross however.)

you break contracts you don't get paid. She likely turned down someone's "implied" invitation. I mean, doing promos is part of the biz, but they literally don't give a fuck about your time, and some people don't have time for all that, especially when they're trying to get work elsewhere after working on your movie project.

It seems more like they just decided to put Monique in her place. She's a tv star from black television shows. Those people don't get to fool with the forces of nature.

Monique needs to go holler at Tyler, or needs to go do some more television. She's gotta hustle now, instead of waiting for the industry to come to her, because the industry has a bug up it's ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom