• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Face-Off: Batman: Arkham Knight

MMaRsu

Banned
tumblr_mq3vmo0WuE1r4orq1o4_500.gif

I want that shit you're smoking

Hes smoking the devils lettuce

thelastword

Banned
Good to see the XB1 still keeping the PS4 in arms distance and with the slight boost DX12 will give the XB1 in the next few months i think we'll see parity between the PS4 and XB1 on Multiplatform games.....i think the PS4 will still be more powerful but not enough where well see games being 1080p and not 900p on the XB1 anymore the DX12 will be just enough to push the XB1 to 1080p for games that are 1080p on the PS4 also

But man sucks to own the game on the PC atm, hopefully a patch is incoming quickly!
Lettuce you clearly don't believe that..... come on now....

Some said it wasn't going to be released again until the fall. Maybe rework is the wrong word, but it doesn't sound like a simple fix.
Who are those persons who said that? Was it the developer? Remember when USF4 PS4 came out...., some people were saying it would never be fixed, it would take months, such hyperbole...... The port is bad, but I think it will fixed in quicker time than Witcher 3 on PS4......

This is utter bullshit and I wish people would stop spewing numbers out of their ass. Take a look here https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/list-of-rendering-resolutions.41152/

While of course there were a number of sub 720p games, the vast majority were in fact 720p. So it was more common games WERE 720p, than not.
Man you're wasting your time, this has been argued time and time again, it's been proven beyond a reasonable doubt that the majority of games were 720p. You will get the facts, post it, and yet he'll come next time spewing the same nonsense. I just don't understand how such posters think this is engaging, arguing against facts and better logical stances/conclusions all the time.....

You're not the only one baffled... but that's mostly just because you're not the only one that projects what you care about onto everyone else, and assume any other view is objectively incorrect.

Someone may want to buy a single player game on XB1 even if they own a PS4 because it's the console they use by default, so they're more likely to play any game that's available on it, than they would be if they had to switch console to do so (this can even happen with something as simple as disc vs digital). They also may be the type that regularly sits in cross game party chats whilst playing single player games.. especially if those games have plenty of non-story optional content. They may also be the type that regularly posts activity updates (screens, videos) or streams to others.

They may have all sorts of reasons valid to them, that they consider more important than a visual difference they may well not even consciously notice. I don't get why people such as yourself have such a huge stick up your ass about other people's choices.
This thread is not "Why I prefer to play inferior versions of games when I have a choice". This is a technical thread about the differences between platforms, having friends on the XB1 or PS4 has no bearing on how AK looks or performs.

The assets hadn't finished streaming there it gets clearly 2-3 seconds in but you can still see it's blurrier than the PS4 version, The main difference I could see from that video was big difference in pixel crawling between the two.
Does that mean texture streaming may be slower on the XB1? The faceoff at DF was pretty short and barebones, that's why I'm waiting on NXgamer, he will tear it down much more for us.

Synth

Doesn't PS4 have twice the install base of X1? How come you dont see people bring it on DF threads?

Because its off-topic and always comes off as an excuse "yeah I can settle for lower resolution and framerates But my friends..... Etc"

Well good for you, I'm glad you are happy with your console choice, just stop doing it in DF threads.

Because they're not making the choice in spite of something else. So they'll probably just say "PS4 it is!" even if that really just encapsulates both. If the PS4 routinely performed worse they may still be making that choice, but then it becomes a result of something other than the performance, which they'd then state instead.

Most of the people saying they're going with the Xbox version are acknowledging the technical differences and saying that they're happy enough with the performance for it not to change their console of choice for playing it. Sometimes this isn't the case, and a DF article will actually cause them to pick up the other version (as was the case with me and Ground Zeroes... which I haven't played yet... partially because it's not on the console I'm usually on).

This thread is not "Why I prefer to play inferior versions of games when I have a choice". This is a technical thread about the differences between platforms, having friends on the XB1 or PS4 has no bearing on how AK looks or performs.

You're right it isn't. The thread isn't about which console you choose to play on at all... so why would this only apply to X1 users, and not PS4 users also stating which console they're buying it on? The degree of inferiority is a topic for this thread, and is what these users are addressing when they say they're fine with the X1 performance.

We can see how blurry the 900p is over the PS4 version here, erk :

9d0dc5d146da5db4b823e22f67496b96.jpg

That is a really blatant and noticeable difference. I'm shocked considering many outside of gaf have gone to great lengths to create a narrative that there is no noticeable difference when in actual practice the difference seems huge, apparent, and pronounced.

While 40% may initially seem like a big advantage you also have to take into account the size of the display the distance you are from it and limitations of what the human eye can process.

Concerning the friend argument on single player games as someone else brought up cross game party chat, streaming, achievement/trophy competitiveness, activity feeds or even the game hub leaderboards like the x1 added a bit ago give you good ways to compete against people on your friends list.

Another reason could be account/game sharing on X1 or share play options specifically for PS4. Maybe you have friends you take turns purchasing games with or just have someone specifically you would like to share said game with that could possibly persuade you to purchase it in the first place.

All more than valid reasons to pick a certain game on a certain platform especially when the performance is comparable.

KAOS

Having both versions I have to agree that Rocksteady did an amazing job on the console versions. On the PS4 the visuals have a cleaner/sharper look because of it's resolution. Where the X1 version really shines and I feel it's not mentioned enough is in it's gameplay controls. Maybe it's my control preference but I had a very difficult time controlling the batmobile on the ps4 where as on the X1 it felt more intuitive and fun!

d9b

Banned
You're not the only one baffled... but that's mostly just because you're not the only one that projects what you care about onto everyone else, and assume any other view is objectively incorrect.

Someone may want to buy a single player game on XB1 even if they own a PS4 because it's the console they use by default, so they're more likely to play any game that's available on it, than they would be if they had to switch console to do so (this can even happen with something as simple as disc vs digital). They also may be the type that regularly sits in cross game party chats whilst playing single player games.. especially if those games have plenty of non-story optional content. They may also be the type that regularly posts activity updates (screens, videos) or streams to others.

They may have all sorts of reasons valid to them, that they consider more important than a visual difference they may well not even consciously notice. I don't get why people such as yourself have such a huge stick up your ass about other people's choices.
Welcome to the "Digital Foundry thread"... Grab a drink, sit by the hearth and tell us all about your friends and preferred controllers, lol.

Teletraan1

Banned
Having both versions I have to agree that Rocksteady did an amazing job on the console versions. On the PS4 the visuals have a cleaner/sharper look because of it's resolution. Where the X1 version really shines and I feel it's not mentioned enough is in it's gameplay controls. Maybe it's my control preference but I had a very difficult time controlling the batmobile on the ps4 where as on the X1 it felt more intuitive and fun!

The controllers have the exact same button layout sans the touch pad and the stick that controls movement is in a slightly different place. How can one be more intuitive? My thumbs are opposable, thankfully. I hope this is a parody post.

geordiemp

This thread finally delivers - I prefer the controller.

720p tv - check lol
distance from screen - check
friends - check
controller preference - check

That is a really blatant and noticeable difference. I'm shocked considering many outside of gaf have gone to great lengths to create a narrative that there is no noticeable difference when in actual practice the difference seems huge, apparent, and pronounced.
That drop in clarity would be completely swallowed up in motion by blur on an LCD screen anyway. You'd only notice it stood still with your nose close to the screen.

haikira

We can see how blurry the 900p is over the PS4 version here, erk :

9d0dc5d146da5db4b823e22f67496b96.jpg

That's a pretty big difference. Perhaps it's a texture streaming issue here? I know there's detail loss due to the lower resolution, but going from direct captures of the X1 version I've seen, this looks more than just that. I'm probably wrong though.

EDIT: Just clarified that i meant texture streaming, in case anyone thought I was talking about the youtube stream, and added me to the crazy list along with "Distance from screen" crowd, and so on.

Noobcraft

That's a pretty big difference. Perhaps it's a texture streaming issue here? I know there's detail loss due to the lower resolution, but going from direct captures of the X1 version I've seen, this looks more than that. I'm probably wrong though.

EDIT: Just clarified that i meant texture streaming, in case anyone thought I was talking about the youtube stream, and added me to the crazy list along with "Distance from screen" crowd, and so on.
Same video like 2 seconds later.
snip013krd0.png

Stillmatic

Only thing I noticed other than resolution was that there aren't actually any (or very little) heavy rain effects on the XB1 car during the chase sequence, and some texture streaming issues (like the cops face being posted a bit earlier in the thread).

https://youtu.be/IirWOjgxOwk?t=2m18s

Heavy rain texture:

It's like that the whole chase.

Other texture streaming spots (sign in back and car in 1st pic, car and Gordons clothes in 2nd pick):
https://youtu.be/mHj-WqkzMp8?t=4m10s

Just started the game myself, and I'm blown away. It really looks amazing.

Stacey

Banned
So now we have

PS4
Better resolution
Better overall framerate
Better texture streaming

Xbox One
Better controller
Better looking on 720p TV's
More friends play on Xbox live
More fun
More intuitive
Phil Spencer is Bruce Wayne

Noobcraft

Since a few seconds later, both sides are much comparable now, that's pretty much in line with what I was saying, isn't it? The textures hadn't fully loaded yet for the X1 version?
Yeah. Likely texture pop-in which is noted in the article. People just want to "lulz the Xbox is blurry compared to PS4" which isn't an entirely genuine statement. I'd be curious to see if faster hard drives alleviate the streaming issues.

Only thing I noticed other than resolution was that there aren't actually any (or very little) heavy rain effects on the XB1 car during the chase sequence, and some texture streaming issues (like the cops face being posted a bit earlier in the thread).

Heavy rain texture:

Other texture streaming spots:

Yeah, seems XB1 has texture streaming issues. Happens on PC a lot, but I think I've only seen it once on PS4.
Not sure what's up with the rain effect on the car.

nOoblet16

You definitely played a different Witcher 3.
He is correct, Witcher 3 has one of the worst animation blending in a modern game plus the bad framerate on top only makes it worse in motion. If anything Witcher 3 is a prime example of a game that looks great in stills but not in motion. Then you have things like really low res water shaders, little to no motion blur to smooth out the camera and character movements (the game only has camera motion blur that is only applied to specific areas/objects..say you look at Novigrad from the temple island the backdrop of Novigrad will receive a hideous amount of camera motion blur but other things won't receive any motion blur at all creating this inconsistency in motion...and low framerate again makes this transition more jarring)

Jomjom

Banned
Same video like 2 seconds later.

Still looks blurrier but definitely not as bad as that other comparison. Then again this is on my 17 inch laptop screen. On my projector this is going to be a huge difference.

Oh wow. That batmobile comparison is worlds apart...

thelastword

Banned
Well now there's been a few more replies, I get it now, but the person who I was referring to confused a few of us here considering this being an SP game and him bringing up XBL without the proper reasoning I felt was a tad arbitrary.

But now others have helped me put it into perspective, I understand the reasoning behind it, and no longer am baffled. I completely 100%, understand his point.
Don't be so sure, you got it right the first time, there are always going to be people who defend such stances in a DF thread, "where such arguments are not being discussed and clearly do not belong", because they have the same bias themselves.

Just look at the person you were referring to, did he/she comeback to the thread to respond? Clearly a driveby to rustle some feathers no?

Yup, always had great eyesight. My family all wear glasses too. :p

The first thing I noticed when I put Batman on was how blurry it was compared to just about every other game I own. I started to doubt if it was even 1080p before the DF article was written. I think I've just grown good at spotting the dreaded FXAA after putting up with it for so long on the 360. XD
FXAA? That's nothing, try oodles of Quincunx AA on the PS3, that will give you an eye. It had less artefacts and noise compared to shitty FXAA, but boy did it blur the image.

Wait, so 1.02 patch fixed the framerate disadvantage that Xbox One had? So now it really is just resolution vs. controller for me...hmmmmmmm.
Like clockwork.......

If course it will look the same on a 720p tv, that's what is so funny. Go the whole hog eh, game looks the same when I play on my 12 inch portable...lol

Yes many don't care, does not mean differences don't exist.
Money.....who cares if you can't tell a difference, that not the point of these threads. The thread is for persons who can tell and will note a difference. That's why it's so suspect reading all these "my friends, my controller, can't tell a difference people". Go play the version that you have and enjoy it despite it being technically inferior.

Varjis

Seriously? As others have posted above, that same shot a second later looks totally different and similar to the PS4 version. Are people trying that hard to console champion their choice? Pathetic.

That drop in clarity would be completely swallowed up in motion by blur on an LCD screen anyway. You'd only notice it stood still with your nose close to the screen.
You heard it here folks, HD is pointless because of Lcd motion resolution. May as well pack up our bags and go back to playing SD games.

Yeah. Likely texture pop-in which is noted in the article. People just want to "lulz the Xbox is blurry compared to PS4" which isn't an entirely genuine statement. I'd be curious to see if faster hard drives alleviate the streaming issues.

Well, texture streaming issues aren't a good thing. Even if it is blurry for a second, it is still noticeable when the textures actually pop in.

I wonder if the rain effects absent on the batmobile on the X1 version are streaming issues or effects that were cut from the game?

Seanspeed

Banned
Resolution differences are highly dependent on both screen size and distance to screen. That is a fact, not something that should put you on a crazy list...

Don't be so sure, you got it right the first time, there are always going to be people who defend such stances in a DF thread, "where such arguments are not being discussed and clearly do not belong", because they have the same bias themselves.

Just look at the person you were referring to, did he/she comeback to the thread to respond? Clearly a driveby to rustle some feathers no?
They were talking to another XB1 user.

Sad that you feel the need to resort to some paranoia-based argument to justify your mocking.

etta

my hard graphic balls
So What You're Saying Is You'll Buy The Game With Less Performance And Less content. Because you're friends have Xbox? Multiplayer games I can understand,But that makes no sense for a single player game.

Leaderboards and cross-game chat are the reasons I sometimes do it.

d9b

Banned
That blurry face is a texture issue not the game's resolution, give me a moment and i'll get a video for you.
So on top of significantly less pixels on screen (inferior IQ/ pixel crawl) and less stable frame rate, there's also texture loading issues on Xbox One.
Oh my, well that's not good now is it?

Jomjom

Banned
Resolution differences are highly dependent on both screen size and distance to screen. That is a fact, not something that should put you on a crazy list...

You left out one very important thing: the individual's eyesight. It's not like distance and screen size automatically determines if you can see the difference or not and that's somehow fact.

Resolution difference is the most dependent on a person's eyesight as that can overcome any general estimations of when such and such resolutions start to "matter".

You left out one very important thing: the individual's eyesight. It's not like distance and screen size automatically determines if you can see the difference or not and that's somehow fact.

Resolution difference is the most dependent on a person's eyesight as that can overcome any general estimations of when such and such resolutions start to "matter".
IGN.gif :p

thelastword

Banned

Heavy rain texture:

Other texture streaming spots (sign in back and car in 1st pic, car and Gordons clothes in 2nd pick):

Good observations, I noticed some disparitites myself, but I was waiting on Nxgamer to chime in first. DF never really do a proper comparison anymore, everything is mostly always like for like save for rez and performance to them.

I haven't heard this one yet, is it a meme I missed?. I am waiting for the chart that takes prescription strength into account for how far you should sit from your TV and what size the screen should be. You are also taking out of account that a majority of people with eyesight issues have some type of correcting measure in place (contacts, glasses).

You heard it here folks, HD is pointless because of Lcd motion resolution. May as well pack up our bags and go back to playing SD games.
Well, the whole time anything is moving on LCD you are most certainly playing in SD. 100p is nothing compared to the kind of dropoff you see on a sample-and-hold display. I challenge anyone to spot the difference between 900p and 1080p in motion on an LCD.

haikira

Well yeah, it's fact that the ability to perceive the difference in image quality is of course limited by your distance from the screen. I wasn't arguing that. I meant to imply that using it as some sort of argument to nullify the better image quality of the PS4 version is a little crazy, and doesn't really belong in here, same as controller preference, and any other irrelevant facts.

I only mentioned it, because I'd seen a list higher up on this page listing the irrelevant and weird arguments people were voicing, and when I mentioned streaming, I didn't want anything thinking I was implying the streaming quality of the YT video was somehow giving the PS4 an advantage and adding me to the cray cray list.

yup,thats funny i still remember 360 owners comments past gen,how things have changed,before when the ps3 version got some differences was worst version ever lol

you can see that on podcast like cag,when someone asked why they dont play ps3 versions their answer was..we prefer the best version...now they still got the xbox one versions because..reasons

etta

my hard graphic balls
Well, you said it actually annoyed you to see such posts... so yea, you kinda do have a stick up your ass about it.

Everything I listed their can be summed up by "my friends are on therw". That would be an honest reply for each of those scenarios (I specifically ignored other valid reasons like controller preference for this reason). I don't think they should have to detail that further, breaking it down to all the use cases they have for playing a single player game, yet not cutting themselves off from the social base, just because you can't stand to read that someone isn't going for the more Ps. You're basically calling their reasoning BS, not enquiring for more detail about it. You're not owed a "full story" any more than someone who simply reads "it runs better" is.

Maybe you should be honest with yourself and figure out why you find yourself so concerned over this.

The person wasn't grasping at straws, wasn't downplaying the PS4 version, wasn't trying to make the XB1 sound better, nothing. His comment was in response to another XB1 user, in fact. There was no 'trying' to justify his purchase in that situation. Let it go.

I like you guys. Solid work. I agree on all points.

Jomjom

Banned
I haven't heard this one yet, is it a meme I missed?. I am waiting for the chart that takes prescription strength into account for how far you should sit from your TV and what size the screen should be. You are also taking out of account that a majority of people with eyesight issues have some type of correcting measure in place (contacts, glasses).

No I'm merely saying that even if the general wisdom is that "You can't see the difference until blah blah screen size and blah blah distance", someone with good eyesight will still be able to see a difference at a much smaller screen size and at a much longer distance.

I can see a difference between 1080p and 900p on my tiny Playstation 3D monitor from 8 ft while sitting on my bed. It doesn't mean everyone can, but that's far smaller of a screen and far larger of a distance than people like to claim you can still tell a difference.

Seanspeed

Banned

That is an additional factor, yes, but not the main one.

Another, as somebody said earlier, is sensitivity. You can 'learn' to see these things, so even two people with the same exact eyesight, distance to screen and TV size could *still* perceive things differently.

This is why it gets so ridiculous when people try to tell others what they should or should not be able to see. And that goes both ways. People who say 'there is no difference' or whatever should understand it might be more noticeable for others. And likewise, people who insist that there's some huge difference between 900p and 1080p should understand that not everybody will agree with that, depending on their own situation.

wachie

So now we have

PS4
Better resolution
Better overall framerate
Better texture streaming

Xbox One
Better controller
Better looking on 720p TV's
More friends play on Xbox live
More fun
More intuitive
Phil Spencer is Bruce Wayne
bueno

This thread delivered.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Pity there is not a WiiU version available. It would make me feel better about my PC version.

Maybe...

Top Bottom