• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lots of New Super Mario Maker Footage Round-Up

maxcriden

Some of the levels he made were conceptually flawed but the dude is not an expert level designer nor did he ever claim to be. Also the commentary in the video really does explain that he is aware of some of the problems like not being able to get the fire flower to fall down. I thought it was a good level as well.

Level could have been made easier with 2 additions. One is warp pipes that take you to the sub world then back to the main world in the cages so if you messed up you would not have to kill yourself and everything would reset. That would solve the big issue of havingto kill yourself.

If he used the Super Mario Bros 3 theme he could have made fire flowers super leafs so they gently fall to the ground solving that issue. He would have to design aspects of the make yourself small mechanic there but they wouldnt be difficult changes.

Most of his levels suffere from the lack of checkpoints in the game. I think the actual challenge and uniqueness of the levels will make people still wanna play through them though.

Just wanna be clear, and not sure if I was, but--everything you said in your post, I 100% agree with. It's pretty much what I was trying to say in mine. :)

MrBadger

that's disappointing. Mario has slowly started to control worse with every new iteration in both 3d and 2d. He used to be agile and snappy but in the nsmb series and 3d land/world he feels more like a lump. jumps that would have otherwise been easy in older games are now butthole clench inducing because it feels so stiff. I don't understand why they've done this to the controls.

I'm the exact opposite. I've not played 3 in so long that I can't say anything fair about how it controls, but I dislike how stiff 1 feels and World always takes me a while to get used to, whereas the NSMB games control like a dream. I always find it confusing when I see people lament on the good old days of Super Mario World's controls because while there's nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't feel as good as NSMB to me.

AdanVC

Been catching up watching some of the new levels in YT and they all great! Hope Gamexplain recreates all of those levels they've been creating I want to play them! 4 days left to be able to play SMB1, SMB3 and SMW at 60 fps and in HD... with physics of NSMBU. What a time to be alive.

Been catching up watching some of the new levels in YT and they all great! Hope Gamexplain recreates all of those levels they've been creating I want to play them! 4 days left to be able to play SMB1, SMB3 and SMW at 60 fps and in HD... with physics of NSMBU. What a time to be alive.

Are you going to cheat and change the clock to get the whole toolset day 1???

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
It sounds like instead of cramming 4 different games into one, it would have been better if they just picked one game and gave us everything from said game to use.

I'm the exact opposite. I've not played 3 in so long that I can't say anything fair about how it controls, but I dislike how stiff 1 feels and World always takes me a while to get used to, whereas the NSMB games control like a dream. I always find it confusing when I see people lament on the good old days of Super Mario World's controls because while there's nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't feel as good as NSMB to me.
Agreed. I cant go back go the early marios foe this reason. Too finicky.

Nah. I'm gonna build stuff and wait for the new ones as they come because I still don't have a certain idea of what kind of levels I'm gonna create. What about you?

I don't know, might play the game as the developers intended to but the temptation might get me in the end.

As far as levels are concerned, I have so many ideas and will forget about them all Friday and probably end up making horseshit courses.

AdanVC

I don't know, might play the game as the developers intended to but the temptation might get me in the end.

As far as levels are concerned, I have so many ideas and will forget about them all Friday and probably end up making horseshit courses.

Hahahh. Few days playing around on the editor and I'm sure you will be doing nice levels in no time so we can play them!

Stoze

that's disappointing. Mario has slowly started to control worse with every new iteration in both 3d and 2d. He used to be agile and snappy but in the nsmb series and 3d land/world he feels more like a lump. jumps that would have otherwise been easy in older games are now butthole clench inducing because it feels so stiff. I don't understand why they've done this to the controls.

As someone who just played SMB - NSMBU - SMB3 - SMW kinda back to back, I really gotta disagree with this. First of all, Mario 1 and 2 feel very stiff to control compared to the other games. It doesn't hurt the enjoyment of those games, but they don't come close to any of following games in terms of player control. NSMBU honestly feels really close to SMB3 in terms of physics, with added flexibility from the move set and more emphasis on momentum (which is near perfect to me). You're left with SMW, which is really better or worse depending on preference, because it controls significantly different than the other games. Either way I wouldn't describe it as snappier than SMB3 or NSMBU, I'd say more sensitive.

3D games I mostly agree. Galaxy games are amazing and I don't think would've benefited much from a more agile Mario with a bigger moveset, but man do I miss doing acrobatics outside Peach's castle before starting the game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It sounds like instead of cramming 4 different games into one, it would have been better if they just picked one game and gave us everything from said game to use.

They basically took NSMBU, took some of the basic building blocks and then applied those to the other three styles. There's nothing to say that is that removing the retro game styles would have resulted in more building options.

Robin64

The Donkey Kong 25m level was superb, until:

nvsDobB.png

I don't like how people are using the ground block so liberally for things like staircases, I just can't get used to how weird it looks. A minor quibble, though, and probably one only I care about.

GAME have sent me an email about my order processing, which is good.

What is not so good is they sent me the order email three times so far and have charged me each time. Ugh. Damn this company.

Dooman

Neo Member
GAME have sent me an email about my order processing, which is good.

What is not so good is they sent me the order email three times so far and have charged me each time. Ugh. Damn this company.

Yeah they took payments from me three times. Sent them a email about it.
Edit: Now 4 times LOL.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Where did you order from??

Like Linkstrikesback, GAME. Decided I'd rather the badges than the tshirt and they were a fraction cheaper (GAME being cheaper, a shock I know).

I promptly took a cold shower and 50 lashing after placing the order to hopefully redeem me of the sin.

But apparently I was not redeemed for I too am getting the email bombardment.

Yeah they took payments from me three times. Sent them a email about it.
Edit: Now 4 times LOL.

Yep, just got number 4 too. Bloody hell. Glad I have plenty of money in my account, because that's now over £140 from my bank account I can't touch until they fix this momentous cock up.

edit: Just wondering, do your emails say something like
"The store has encountered a problem processing the last request. Try again later. If the problem persists, contact your site administrator."

on the right hand side? Just wondering if that's to do with what's gone wrong.

Dooman

Neo Member
Yep, just got number 4 too. Bloody hell. Glad I have plenty of money in my account, because that's now over £140 from my bank account I can't touch until they fix this momentous cock up.

edit: Just wondering, do your emails say something like
"The store has encountered a problem processing the last request. Try again later. If the problem persists, contact your site administrator."

on the right hand side? Just wondering if that's to do with what's gone wrong.

Yeah that's exactly what it says on mine, could be something wrong with the site.

Edit: Now they are trying for order 5 although I have nothing left in that account.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I decided against the tshirt because, if it's anything like the mario kart one, it'll be falling to pieces in no time flat, if you dare to wear it.
The Bullet Bill one? I find that quite a nice tshirt. Had no problems with it.

So GAME have cancelled my order, sent me a PayPal refund and have now sent 4 emails saying there is a payment problem.
Welp. Now I'm expecting with four parcels to arrive or nothing at all the ways things are going.

Yeah that's exactly what it says on mine, could be something wrong with the site.

Edit: Now they are trying for order 5 although I have nothing left in that account.

Good idea....

Time to temporarily move all my money to another account >_>

The Bullet Bill one? I find that quite a nice tshirt. Had no problems with it.

Mine was falling apart and had several holes in it after only a few wears. Maybe I just got a badly produced one, but it stopped me wanting any more shirts from the Nintendo UK store.

Magnus

I've been out of the Mario Maker threads field months. Has it been established whether the game will use the physics/feel of each of the four SMBS it draws from?

I've been out of the Mario Maker threads field months. Has it been established whether the game will use the physics/feel of each of the four SMBS it draws from?

They're all based on NSMBU physics with minor gameplay changes, e.g. NSMBU lets you wall jump, SMW lets you spin jump.

woopWOOP

Man, I keep forgetting it's this week.
Less than 4 days to go until I can play an endless stream of 1-1 variations!

Toaster05

GAME really are a shower of shite.

I've had the flurry of emails too. I can see that they've attempted to charge my account a number of time now.

Card number: ****8461Amount: £46.99

Robin64

Realised my Nintendo Store preorder for the Mario Maker amiibo bundle is using an old card that got stolen. It won't go through if they try to charge it. Nothing will let me change the payment details on that order, and if I can cancel I lose it. I've sent a message, but I'm not very hopeful.

So do I cancel and try ShopTo, who still have the amiibo bundle but no t-shirt, or hold out hope for the official store? Gah.

Realised my Nintendo Store preorder for the Mario Maker amiibo bundle is using an old card that got stolen. It won't go through if they try to charge it. Nothing will let me change the payment details on that order, and if I can cancel I lose it. I've sent a message, but I'm not very hopeful.

So do I cancel and try ShopTo, who still have the amiibo bundle but no t-shirt, or hold out hope for the official store? Gah.

GAME have the amiibo bundle too still and it comes with a mario pin badge set. For 14 pence more than shopto you get this

widget_Super-Mario-Maker.jpg

Though the payment issues they're going through right now makes me say wait a bit before ordering from them.

Toaster05

You could try and visit a GAME store. They have the pin badge pre-order bonus. It's not as good as the t-shirt but it's an exclusive.

Wouldn't recommend ordering on their site though however. ShopTo are pretty reliable in my dealings.

Porcile

See my post in the Amiibo thread :) Had the same issue as you, although mine was a case of the bank cancelling the card without telling me. They will let you update the card details of your order when they try to ship it. You'll get an email and a link. Should still get it on time as well.

SeanR1221

I got to play at Best Buy yesterday.

Hype levels through the roof now. I feel bad for MGS V because its going to be put on the shelf with the Mario Maker/Destiny combo hitting.

Robin64

Just got a reply from them to that effect, though their first suggestion was that I cancel and reorder it. (Uhm)

Not sure I'll take the risk, I need that game on the Friday, we have Plans™.

Porcile

Just got a reply from them to that effect, though their first suggestion was that I cancel and reorder it. (Uhm)

Not sure I'll take the risk, I need that game on the Friday, we have Plans™.

Haha - I don't want to be the one who told you to wait, and then you couldn't get it! Anyway, that's how my experience went with them a while back.

welp. I just got off the phone to Game. They charged me 5 times for the order, and i got a refund of the extra charges.

Thank god i have just more than that in the account im using, otherwise i would be fucked. Hopefully it will be fixed in the end.

Also, check the Game.co.uk twitter w/ replies, just mario maker problems :p

The Donkey Kong 25m level was superb, until:

nvsDobB.png

I don't like how people are using the ground block so liberally for things like staircases, I just can't get used to how weird it looks. A minor quibble, though, and probably one only I care about.

YES I noticed that too.

In SMB1, ground blocks were only ever used as actual ground, the bottom two tiles on the screen.

Top Bottom