• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Cornbread78

JqIwcrP.png

TIljtx8.png

Release Dates:
- Europe: Oct. 16th (PS3/PS4)
- North America: Oct. 20th (PS3/PS4/PC)

Platform: PlayStation 3/Playstation 4/ PC
Theme/Genre: Passion Illuminates the World/ JRPG
Developer: Bandai Namco Studios
Publisher: Bandai Namco Games
Directors: Yuuta Hase, Mari Miyata
Producer: Hideo Baba
Composers: Motoi Sakuraba, Go Shiina
Animation: Ufotable
Character Design: Daigo Okumura, Kosuke Fujishima, Minoru Iwamoto, and Mutsumi Inomata
Theme Song (JPN): "White Light" by Superfly
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEMQXiSx2LQ
(sorry no lyrics in NA/EU version; instrumental only;)
https://youtu.be/oDME9eOzd1o)

Tales Blog: http://blog.talesofgame.com/en/

Box Art (PS3/4):
Vd4sD2P.jpg
AgnvUQd.jpg

Pre-order bonuses:
qOXe2R8.jpg

Collector’s Edition:
unrsAq9.jpg

http://www.bandainamcogamesstore.com/Tales-of-Zestiria-Collectors-Edition/dp/B00ZDMDZMK

Alisha's Story Additional Chapter DLC (Free until November 18):

Steam, worldwide:
https://www.bandainamcoent.eu/vipcor...ter-pc-digital

PS4 / PS3, NA:
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-...000ZZ000000008

PS4 / PS3, everywhere else:
https://www.bandainamcoent.eu/vipcor...hapter-ps4-ps3
The PS3 version is listed on a separate page in NA.
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-...000ZZ00000000

PC Specs and Info:
(Steam release is Oct. 20th for all reagions)
Minimum:
o OS: Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10
o Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+, 2.6GHz
o Memory: 2 GB RAM
o Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 8800GT / ATI Radeon HD 4830 or equivalent
o DirectX: Version 9.0c
o Hard Drive: 12 GB available space
o Additional Notes: Gamepad support

Recommended:
o OS: Windows 7 (x64) / Windows 8 (x64) / Windows 10 (x64)
o Processor: Intel Core i3-530, 2.93 GHz / AMD Phenom II X4 940, 3.0GHz
o Memory: 4 GB RAM
o Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti / AMD Radeon HD 7850 or equivalent
o DirectX: Version 9.0c
o Hard Drive: 12 GB available space
o Additional Notes: Gamepad support

Steam Link:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/351970/?snr=1_5_9__300
(Zestiria tier 3 Pre-Order reward has unlocked (100%), PO now to get a free copy of Tales of Symphonia)

- Both the PC and PS4 version will run at a 1920×1080 resolution with PC supporting resolutions up to 4K- (30 fps for both*(see notes below)

Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/tales-of-zestiria

Reviews Thread:
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1125587

WHr1i3y.png

2MzqBgj.jpg

Tales of Zestiria takes place on the continent of Greenwood, a land primarily controlled by two nations - the Highland Kingdom and the Laurence Empire. A land of myths, folktales, ancient traditions and superstition; it is said that when darkness begins to overtake the world, a savior will appear. One with the power to bring back the light and restore peace. In the present day, various disasters are occurring throughout the continent. A force born out of negative emotions known as the Corruption has started to materialize. This is where our lead, Sorey, comes in: with abilities uncommon to normal humans, he eventually sets out on a journey to develop his powers and save the land.

wiGm0BM.png

CRfIm5a.jpg

UyiykHg.png

Sorey
Voice Actors:
Robie Daymond (Eng)
Ryohei Kimura (Jpn)
Character Design: Kousuke Fujishima
- A young man raised in the village of the Tenzoku, he possesses an abnormally high level of spiritual power - allowing him to see the normally invisible beings. Fascinated with ruins, he sets out to explore the outside world after meeting Alisha. Later, he learns that he has the power to stop the Hyouma and stop the corruption taking over their world. In battle, he wields a sword and is capable of Armitization

kuf3beQ.png

Alisha
Voice Actors:
Alexia Tipton (Eng)
Ai Kayano (Jpn)
Character Design: Daigo Okumura
- Despite being last in line to succeed Highland's throne, she is treated poorly by the royal family due to her mother's low status and the decreasing importance of the kingdom's monarchy. She decides to become a knight. While in search of a solution to the disasters occurring in her country, she eventually makes her way to the land of the Tenzoku, where she encounters Sorey. While initially unable to see and interact with the Seraphim as Sorey can, she enters a pact with him to become a "thane" - a servant of the Shepherd with limited magic and the ability to see the Seraphim. Alisha wields a long spear in battle

52u2l7Y.png

Mikleo
Voice Actors:
TBA (Eng)
Ryota Osaka (Jpn)
Character Design: Mutsumi Inomata
-A young Tenzoku that’s been friends with Sorey since they were both young. The more level-headed of the two, he attempts to make Sorey see reason and the two frequently argue. Also interested in ruins, he has a sort of rivalry with Sorey and the two set out from their village together. Mikleo fights with a long fighting staff and water-based heavenly artes

wyD7C1A.png

Edna
Voice Actors:
Kira Buckland (Eng)
Misato Fukuen (Jpn)
Character Design: Minoru Iwamoto
-A Tenzoku girl with the ability to use earth magic. She has a sharp tongue and is distrustful of others, particularly humans, and tries to keep her emotions suppressed. However, when it comes to her brother, she is prone to outbursts of emotion. Edna uses her parasol in combat and utilizes earth-based heavenly artes.

a8ulKQQ.png

Lailah
Voice Actors:
Carrie Keranen (Eng)
Miyu Matsuki (Jpn)
Character Design: Mutsumi Inomata
-A Tenzoku woman and the first to form a pact with Sorey. She acts as a tutor to Sorey, and forms a pact with him when he wishes to become a Shepherd. Lailah also forms pacts with Mikleo, Edna and Dezel, being the senior member of the partnership. Though she is knowledgeable, she is prone to delusional outbursts. Lailah fights with book pages and fire-based heavenly artes.

0KoeL72.png

Zaveid
Voice Actors:
TBA (Eng)
Kenjiro Tsuda (Jpn)
Character Design: Minoru Iwamoto
-Another wind Tenzoku, he enjoys fighting Hyouma and is always in search of a strong opponent. Though he also fights the Hellions, his true motives and allegiances are unknown and he is generally a prankster. He shares some form of connection with Dezel. He’s dangerous due to his uncertain allegiance and his willingness to fight Sorey. Zaveid fights with twin pistols and wind-based heavenly artes.

p1lfqBw.png

Dezel
Voice Actors:
TBA (Eng)
Daisuke Ono (Jpn)
Character Design: Daigo Okumura
- A wind Tenzoku, he is tracking down a Hyouma to get revenge for a friend that was killed by it. He generally keeps to himself, and appears to have done something to keep his inner emotions from corrupting him. He is also considered an outlaw by the humans and the Seraphim. Dezel uses whip-like pendulums and wind-based artes in battle.

8hSyVdW.png

Rose
Voice Actors:
Caitlin Glass (Eng)
Mikako Komatsu (Jpn)
Character Design: Kousuke Fujishima
- A human girl working as a member of the merchant guild "The Sparrow Feathers", she has a level of spiritual power comparable to Sorey. Despite losing her ability to see Tenzoku as a child, she quickly begins to regain her original abilities after spending some time with Sorey. During gameplay, she fights using twin daggers and is capable of Artimization

oPcDNbO.png

Fusionic Chain Linear Motion Battle System:
bW2YJi6.png
XIegXwQ.jpg

A spiritual successor of sorts to Tales of Graces' battle system, Zesitira's battle system carries over a lot of features from ToG. Some of the things brought over include having two sets of artes assigned to the X and O buttons, the ability to time dodges for bonus effects “Around Step”, and a damage multiplier for hitting enemy weak points. The game also has a collection of newer features:
• Kamui - The primary new feature of the combat, it allows a human and a Tenzoku to fuse into one being, unlocking powerful elemental attacks.
• Real-time transitions - A first for the series, battles no longer take you to a separate location. Instead the battle begins in the same location it was initiated.
• Spirit Chain - Zestiria uses a new resource system instead of AC, TP, or CC. It works similarly to CC and AC in that it quickly recovers once you stop taking action. The main difference is that each character has a maximum of 100 SC, meaning you basically need to have a certain percentage available to use an action. This applies from the beginning of the game it also doesn't use CC's Min-Max mechanics.
• Blast Gauge - Filled through fighting and defending, this gauge allows you use extra abilities and fusion. You can build a stock of it and use abilities that require building it up to a particular level, such as Mystic Artes.

Map Actions
sXSgqN4.jpg
jkSup72.jpg

Sorey can use his sword or call upon his allies to perform actions on the field, allowing you to remove obstacles, reach new areas, or interact with enemies. He can use his sword to cut down obstacles or hit enemies while “fire” shoots a fireball, “water” forms a bubble barrier, “wind” allows you to move quickly over gaps, and “earth” lets you break down objects like boulders. You can use these abilities to hit enemies and if they have a weakness to it, deal additional damage when the battle starts.

Normin and Tenzoku Blessings:
YHAcsBC.jpg
X3X6nfp.jpg

Magical creatures, known as Normin, are littered throughout the world. If you find one, they will allow you to use various bonus effects, such as increasing the drop rate of equipment with certain skills. There is also a Tenzoku known as "The Lord of the Land", by offering them Grade you can get various blessings, such as respawning chests or reducing the cost of warping between save points.

Equipment:
qpfCzat.jpg
YKrBgg3.jpg

In Zestiria, equipment can have different skills attached. These skills have particular attributes, which line up on a 5x10 sheet. You can choose to either stack up skills of a particular attribute, or arrange them in various ways on the skill sheet to unlock bonus skills that will give you various bonuses. You can also synthesize equipment, combining them with each other to form a new piece of equipment that has higher stats and combines the original two parts’ skills. Equipment has a refinement level, which increases by winning battles. You can increase it up to five levels, and doing so will give you character various benefits.

Maps:
bMUY7S7.jpg

Kamenin (Turtlez) are back from Graces in Zestiria, but instead of offering a shop or transportation services, they sell maps. These maps open up new locations for you to visit, some of which are optional and open up the world to further exploration.

Other Stuff
There's also a lot of series staples and other content in the game:
• Cooking - Cooking has been split up into two categories: food and snacks. Food can only be made at Inns, and lasts for a particular number of battles. You can learn new recipes and increase the duration by eating more. Snacks are made through the characters' support talents. These snacks are like items, and can be used anywhere.
• Shops - Like Graces or Xillia, shops have a rank. By buying and selling things you can increase this rank and they'll offer different things. The equipment they can sell may have different skills, and they only sell one of a particular item.
• Discoveries and Stone Monuments - Like in Graces or Rebirth, you can find discoveries, which will unlock skits. Stone Monuments increase your AP for Battle Acts.
• Skits - Pretty well known by now, they work similarly to Xillia, with full skits and smaller ones that happen during battle on while traveling.
• Titles - This generally works as it did in Graces: you can obtain titles by doing various things in the game, and they have some sort of benefit or special effect. You can also level them up through battling, which will make the character learn the arte the title offers.
• Support Talents - Each character has a collection of special talents that can be equipped. This ranges from making snacks, to creating bottle items, to increasing movement speed after a battle. You can learn them from various sources
• Battle Acts - These function like skills in Vesperia or Xillia. Each skill needs a certain amount of AP to be equipped, and they'll give your character various abilities in battle. It appears that Free Run is one of those skills, rather than it being an inherent part of the controls
• Accompanying Character- A party member can follow Sorey around as he travels. This partner can be spoken to, opening up conversations about your current task or their backgrounds and opinions

English Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_-TqwxssUQ

Unite, Transform Trailer:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LifZy_UMHX4

Change the World Trailer:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzARS3TP72A

The Shepherd’s Burdon Trailer:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DwQoYeCzl8

TGS 2015Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuv5B5HMG6s

Gameplay (E3 PS3 footage)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-up73IvyGNY

PC Stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLVcF7llfx8

Trophy List:
http://www.exophase.com/game/tales-of-zestiria-ps3/trophies/

Are you all ready to go? Let’s get to it!:
hgI26J2.gif

*Thread Notes*
- Please do not derail the thread with bitching about the game not being 60fps on PS4/PC. If the game runs like complete crap feel free to discuss, but we already know we are locked at 30 fps, so let's not spend the entire OT rehashing something that cannot be changed. For more information on this, or if you want to sound off on the issue, there is a thread here waiting for you: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1113062&highlight=tales+of+zestiria
- Special Thanks to members Rpgmonkey, BGBW, VisceralBowl, kewlmyc and names2hard4you for their contributions into creating this OT
- Reviews will be added once they get posted online
- If anyone has anything additional they feel would be helpful for the OP, please let me know and I will remove/add/change as needed. (be gentle)

jorgeton

Was wondering where this was. Surprised it's out so soon!

How does this compare to Xillia?

Will pick up either way just to support Jrpgs on the PS4.

JRPG on a PS4 is tempting but I have had real bad luck getting into Tales. Will wait for reviews. Also IIRC the japanese impressions were that this isn't exactly one of the best in the series anyway.

Nice OT! sadly Zestiria releases right in my semester exams so I won't really play until the 8th of november which breaks my heart T.T

artsi

Thanks for the OT. Just 3 hours and the game unlocks in Europe (PS4).

I've already played it on PS3 but still very excited, as the game should finally be problem free technically.

Saphirax

Still waiting for my order to ship. Next week will be exciting!

Also, nice OT :).

Edit: Scratch that, I just checked again and it has shipped!

I love the title name, lol! I sadly can't play this until next week due to it being released a week later for USA, but I can play Dragon Quest Heroes(Great game) until then :)

adz2ka

Playing this RIGHT NOW.

An hour or so in. Literally everything with maybe the exception of the battle system is better than Xillia

Subbed. You didnt have to credit me Corn I didn't do anything, the OT was great to begin with, but thanks!

Looking forward to reading EUs impressions on this one. Got my copy pre-ordered for next Tuesday, and a whole day off school. Gonna be fun times aha!

This is my big fall game. I'm just sad I had to cancel my CE though. Have CEs for Symphonia and Xillia 1 & 2, but $192 is way too much for me.

Animekatt

Nice OT! I'm kinda glad this is coming out on Tuesday here, since Yoshi comes out tomorrow, and I'm still playing through Legend of Legacy. So many games this month!

RPGCrazied

Can't wait. I had to change my CE order from Amazon to Gamestop, cause Amazon didn't have a delivery date yet. I already got charged for it over at Gamestop.com, so I should be good.

Hope to see an unboxing of it soon.

Hows the story compared to Xillia?

Okay let's be real, do people hate this game because of that one character or is there something terribly wrong with it?

Would also love to know how the controls fare through Remote Play, since that's how I plan on playing it the majority of the time.

MSMrRound

Trolling from the boss 101:

I work in a game store. Found these among the list of stock that arrived yesterday and thought that the game was already here, but noooope.

Guess I'll have to wait till later in the afternoon =(

Off day the next day though! Should be able to play quite a bit!

adz2ka

I have played it for an hour now and it just looks weird.

How so? I think it's refereshing that it's back to the vibrant look of older Tales games.
Looks pretty good on the PS4.
Still don't feel it has the substance of Vesperia though

Aeana

Okay let's be real, do people hate this game because of that one character or is there something terribly wrong with it?

There are several small things wrong with it, but I still like it more than at least half the games in the series. The main letdown for me was the skill system. The battle system, while good and better than most TP-based Tales games, is a bummer after Graces too. The camera issues in battle are pretty irritating as well.

I still like the game and would recommend it over a bunch of others.

Stuart444

Also my CE should be coming tomorrow. I could have had it today but I was up late and didn't think I'd be up in time for the courier so I rescheduled it til tomorrow.

Looking forward to getting the CE though and trying it out on the PS4 :)

From what I read, it's more than just the character leaving such as, confusing skill system, big barren world, paying a money to fast travel(you get a skill to remove this in a side quest) ,battle system being downgraded from Graces F and there was a few more issues, but I forgot.

I still want to play this though.

Edit: I forgot about the camera. I looks quite bad, but it should be adjustable.

Holmes

I wonder if Graces will forever be the bar when it comes to Tales battle systems. Either it's disappointing because it's not like Graces, or good because it's similar or better than Graces.

alexein

My friend got is standard edition today
I should have my ce from amazon saturday. ( got disgaea and dq heroes today though)
i want an unboxing of both the us and ue collector soon

Aeana

I wonder if Graces will forever be the bar when it comes to Tales battle systems. Either it's disappointing because it's not like Graces, or good because it's similar or better than Graces.

Graces is a high point, and certainly the most recent high point, but there are others. Rebirth and Destiny R are both also high points that are just as high. Give me something as good as those or better and I'll be just as happy.

No it isn't

It has technical issues on the PS3 and the camera is pretty crap are the main complaints I had.

Wait til more people have played the localized version and see how people feel about it then I say :).

There are many reasons people hate the game besides that one character.

There are several small things wrong with it, but I still like it more than at least half the games in the series. The main letdown for me was the skill system. The battle system, while good and better than most TP-based Tales games, is a bummer after Graces too. The camera issues in battle are pretty irritating as well.

I still like the game and would recommend it over a bunch of others.

From what I read, it's more than just the character leaving such as, confusing skill system, big barren world, paying a money to fast travel(you get a skill to remove this in a side quest) ,battle system being downgraded from Graces F and there was a few more issues, but I forgot.

I still want to play this though.

Edit: I forgot about the camera. I looks quite bad, but it should be adjustable.
Fair enough. To be honest, and I've said this multiple in many other places, Tales games aren't exactly my favourite JRPG games. One thing is for sure though, even if I don't love them I always finish their campaigns, which is more than I can say about other games in the genre aha.

Would also love to know how the controls fare through Remote Play, since that's how I plan on playing it the majority of the time.

there's a lot of things that people didn't like about it that I guess bundled up made them dislike this game

bad camera, the skill system is terrible, empty world maps, lots and lots of walking around

like there's a lack of polish here and there

not like this isn't common in most tales games X)

Stuart444

Nah, ask around the fan base and you'll still see pretty mixed opinions. No outright majority over what battle system is better.

Tales in general is pretty divisive over what is better (from games to characters to battle system, etc)

KupoNut

Saw the game on sale in a store today so picked it up (on PS4), looks okay so far. Not too far in so I can't judge the battle system.

I'm loving the soundtrack and cell-shaded style, might be mediocre (typical Tales) for some but more than enjoyable for me. Also plenty of seamless cutscene/gameplay/battle transitions making it feel somewhat fresh.

The screenshot functionality is blocked troughout the entire game, I guess that's because the game isn't available yet on the Store?

Anbec7

So.. as usual.. what are the improvements for this version besides the framerate everyone is saying?
Do we get something else? more costumes?

Stuart444

So.. as usual.. what are the improvements for this version besides the framerate everyone is saying?
Do we get something else? more costumes?

Improvements are mainly technical (better textures, more stable framerate, draw distance, AA, etc)

Top Bottom