• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SXSW cancels a panel on "Overcoming Harassment in Games" due to threats of violence

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
They exposed a lot of widespread corruption. Those in power don't like that.

Source please.

EDIT: Just to save us some time, game reviewers being friends and exchanging e-mails is not "widespread corruption".

The Open Gaming Society, which is run by the moderator of the pro-GG panel, released "The Doctrine of Gaming"

http://www.theopengamingsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/the-doctrine-of-gaming-4-0.pdf

smh
the above pdf said:
Section 2. Inexcusable Actions
These actions are deemed deplorable and shall not be excused or protected:
1. Stalking an individual.
2. Harassing an individual or group.
3. Releasing personal information.
https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=from:@PixelMetal+@TheQuinnspiracy&src=typd
https://twitter.com/srhbutts/status/658837044362387457

It's always like this with these Gamergate aligned sites. Or, you know, Gamergate in general.

Wiseblood

Those asking for citation. Deepfreeze. It

ohwaityoureserious.gif

As defensive as some of you guys are getting with this one would think some of you can't deal with dissenting opinions about the state of games media. Isn't that what free speech in an open forum is about?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
It really is like arguing about shapeshifting reptilians or chemtrails and being linked to a shady conspirationist wiki as the ultimate autority on the subject... This sub-culture is frightening.

As defensive as some of you guys are getting with this one would think some of you can't deal with dissenting opinions about the state of games media. Isn't that what free speech in an open forum is about?
What does the veracity of information has to do with free speech?? You can say all the shit you what, that doesn't make it automatically true.

People are free to say whatever they want, as long as it doesn't go against their interests/tastes

Edit: didn't realiZe this guy supported gg

the gamergate run site that totally isn't biased at all? are you for real? this is a work, isn't it?

And what sites would you consider unbiased? The ones being called out? I'm sure they would be happy to give honest criticism of themselves and hold themselves accountable.

Mesoian

Yes, but you better come with a stronger game than the equivalent of "If you wanna know why liberals are so terrible, go to AlexJones.com"

Because that shit is literally gifrepost.swf laughable.

aeolist

Banned

surely this particular user is actually unaware of the state of gamergate discourse on this site. surely they're not just deliberately going about the process of getting themself banned so they can enjoy some notoriety on reddit/voat/8chan, like the hundreds of banned gaters of threads past.

Stet

Banned

We're just criticizing those opinions. We're not sending in a threat of violence.

Which one of these women beloved by Gamergate is a journalist

Anita Sarkeesian
Zoe Quinn
Brianna Wu
Randi Harper

And what sites would you consider unbiased? The ones being called out? I'm sure they would be happy to give honest criticism of themselves and hold themselves accountable.

no one is unbiased. gamergate hasn't found any actual corruption or conflicts of interest. the point of that deepfreeze site is to single out people for harassment.

Mesoian

I mean, they exist. You can't say they don't coming off the week were the escapist was accused of consorting with GG trumpets in trying to break a story about Derrek Smart and his crusade against the Star Citizen devs. Point to the actual ARTICLES instead of saying "yeah just go to fox news, you'll probably find what you're looking for."

ElNarez

Banned
Maddy Myers has a good summary over at The Mary Sue.

It's good for newcomers and others, as I just discovered this tidbit, which is a pretty big indictment of SXSW's mindset going into the panel picking process.

According to [Perry] Jones, an SXSW representative called him on the phone and said that they had “wanted to do something interesting that hadn’t really been done before” by hosting both of these panels on the schedule. However, wrote Jones, “SXSW feels that both the organization and its staff have been under siege from all sides and from all parties since they announced the panels early this month. They want to encourage open discussions, but they don’t want to fuel a vicious online war between two sides who are extremely opposed to one another.”

bengraven

If you are going to threaten in any way violence or death, at some point you should realize your cause is not exactly just.

Mesoian

So this is one of the first things I looked at on there:

Yes, the corruption is real.

Here's another random link on Leigh Alexander's page. Proof of her "harrassment" of Ken Levine.

What the fuck is this, even. A bunch of petty bullshit.

Oh, look, she admitted to writing about people she likes. What, she's supposed to be a fucking PR feed? Are you serious?

You need to already be fully into the GG rabbit hole to even take this nonsense seriously.

No, their mantra, for a good few months was literally, "If you have friends in the industry that you cover, you are not only doing your job poorly, you are at risk of being a corporate mouth piece that cannot be trusted".

These people have no idea how actual networking happens. It's a bunch of people not involved in the industry but sorely wish they were telling people who are in the industry how to do their jobs because "yeah, I could do it better, you know, if I really tried."

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
If you are going to threaten in any way violence or death, at some point you should realize your cause is not exactly just.

Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do to... hmmm... prevent reviewers from being friendly with devs I don't like... and... prevent people from pointing out sexist tropes in games are sexist. You don't understand they're doing it for the Greater Good.

RMI

Banned
Gah has there been a resurgence in GG related activity lately? For a while I thought they were going away but now it seems like they're back in the news quite often.

They exposed a lot of widespread corruption. Those in power don't like that.

oh man, too bad you're banned now because I would love to hear some more about this widespread corruption, lol.

Having not heard that much about this crap for several months I assumed it was fizzling out on its own, but these people seem to be entirely unable to let this go. And even after this long there are still somehow even more people on GAF that make a deliberate effort to get themselves banned for street cred on other forums!
So GG doesn't have a leader or organizational structure, but they have group opinions? How convenient.
There's a reason for this.
And there it is. Never anyone to actually be held accountable when no one "leads" where the members are complete cowards and pathetically hide in grey web anonymous forums. It's so desperately vague a threat that SXSW made zero effort to stand up for themselves. They didn't consider it worth the effort because they would face more and more intimidation.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I don't really blame SXSW for not wanting a part of any of this.

GG is a cesspool, and I don't blame SXSW of having just walked away from at all.. it's not even the best venue for that kind of discussion as is.

GG is a cesspool, and I don't blame SXSW of having just walked away from at all.. it's not even the best venue for that kind of discussion as is.

they are almost entirely to blame. they approved the pro-gamergate panel despite the good advice from many, many people. they continue to try to present this as a "both sides" issue. and now they've capitualted to threats. what does that say about the integrity of their show? or the safety of their other panelists?

According to the account above, they actively courted it and then stepped away when it got hot

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
According to the account above, they actively courted it and then stepped away when it got hot

Probably thought it was reasonable to have the discussions in place, and underestimated just exactly how hostile and stupid gators actually are?

GG fuckery and the lows they stoop to are hard for even veterans of the internet to comprehend.. let alone people on the outside.

I have 2 brothers, both in IT fields one is a programmer at a very large company and a total geek to the core.. has no clue what GG is. Other does tech support, a gamer but not hugely, huge into MCU and scifi and the like... no clue what GG is.

GG spills into the real-world quite often, but it's not something a lot of people have explored outside of a pretty niche part of the internet.

I don't think SXSW had a clue what they were doing, but them walking away from it all is probably best for them in the end.

erragal

And while she thinks my intentions are good, she thinks that in most cases when guys claim they are feminists, they are doing so to make themselves appealing to women.

And I think that's the crux of her argument, which is how can I be against it if I've never faced it?

Be very, very careful. That is an irrational human being you are involved with who is attempting to invalidate your opinions based on magical thinking.

People support those who struggle against barriers they never experienced every day. Is she not against child hunger because she has a meal every day? Does she believe every Peace Corps doctor is slumming in Africa to pad their resume and brag later in life?

Apologies for the derail but your interactions sound so one sided and unhealthy.

I don't understand why GG-ers who oppose the harassment don't create a new group or actually speak out against their harassing minority. It's either naivete about being able to turn public opinion about the group and what it stands for or it's just plausible deniability. It's easy to hide behind an anonymous group that doesn't have a leader because you can say no one is organizing it.

Well, my experience from reading their own words on KotakuInAction, The Escapist, and Twitter is that basically no one in gamergate really opposes harassment. Many repeat the "gamergate is anti-harassment, it's all false flags and third party trolls" line as a form of propaganda, others to try and convince themselves that it's true. But basically their response to harassment was "I'm anti harassment BUT…" with the usual litany of excuses that the target wasn't really being harassed, or they deserved it, or it was funny, etc. I'm sure some of them genuinely think they can be anti-harassment while celebrating when it happens to people they don't like, while others are quite consciously using the amorphous nature of a hashtag "movement" as a means of denying responsibility.

Hackworth

Man I wish there was a cute game conspiracy.

Well, my experience from reading their own words on KotakuInAction, The Escapist, and Twitter is that basically no one in gamergate really opposes harassment. Many repeat the "gamergate is anti-harassment, it's all false flags and third party trolls" line as a form of propaganda, others to try and convince themselves that it's true. But basically their response to harassment was "I'm anti harassment BUT…" with the usual litany of excuses that the target wasn't really being harassed, or they deserved it, or it was funny, etc. I'm sure some of them genuinely think they can be anti-harassment while celebrating when it happens to people they don't like, while others are quite consciously using the amorphous nature of a hashtag "movement" as a means of denying responsibility.
Gamergate's a fucking perfect example of sun tzu's "exhaust your targets by being formless" strategy, what with the fact that they've totally got a group consensus and strategy but whenever anyone tries to pin them down they're totally just a group of individuals who etc and that one person who did wrong shouldn't stain the whole group.

Top Bottom