• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 PC performance thread

mephixto

Banned
After an hour or more the game starts to stutter in multiplayer, I have to close it and launch it again to solve the problem.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The game has CTD every time I have played it. Not once yet have I quit out of it because I apparently don't need to.

Kezen

Banned
2500k@4.5
780ti (standard clocks)
8gb ram
Latest game ready driver (this could be the culprit I guess, as I only installed it yesterday song with the game)

Running game at 1080p, high setting. Fxaa.

Played for 3 hours last night and it froze my machine as many times in that period...

If you have been carefully avoiding extra textures and shadows it should run well, I don't know what else would be necessary.

Tankshell

If you have been carefully avoiding extra textures and shadows it should run well, I don't know what else would be necessary.

I have, and it does run well, keeping between 55-60 most of the time. But so many hard lockups!

Guess I'll try raising the voltage on my gpu, and maybe cpu, see if it helps.

It's just weird because I only very recently played so much witcher non stop (which stressed my card and cpu extensively) with not a crash in sight.

Tankshell

I have switched from fullscreen to borderless window mode, and have just played 2 hours straight with no freezes or machine hard lockups. Could be coincidence... too early to say.

Last night I had 3 hard lockups within 3 hours, and another 2 this morning, before I switched to borderless window.

Will play some more tonight and see what happens.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I have switched from fullscreen to borderless window mode, and have just played 2 hours straight with no freezes or machine hard lockups. Could be coincidence... too early to say.

Last night I had 3 hard lockups within 3 hours, and another 2 this morning, before I switched to borderless window.

Will play some more tonight and see what happens.
keep us poasted

Insomnium

It seems MM has improved today or more servers have been added. I'm able to consistently find servers with 100 ping and having lots of fun so far, game runs smoothly for 2 hours straight.

bee

switched monitor to 1080p, 144hz, gsync, single/multi/zombies all run flawless now no stutter, no crashes, no noticeable mouse lag? , interestingly cpu usage goes up at 1080p so does system ram usage, was 8.8gb system, 8.8gb vram, max settings 1080p multi and zombies never drop below 100fps, single player does but rarely

Tovarisc

VRAM usage doesnt quite work the way some people think with these game engines. A lot of these games are filling as much VRAM as allowed, not what is needed. You can run a lot of games that bloat themselves up to 6gb of VRAM on a 2gb vram card and still have it be playable.

I wish BO3 was like that. If I put game to Extra settings, like Nvidia suggests me to, game uses over 6GB of VRAM on my 6GB GPU which turns game into stuttery shitshow. And how game looks it isn't really justified usage of resources and stuttering.

Pachimari

So did the patch for the i5 processors last night improve performance?

Hopefully I can up some settings and get a solid frame rate now.

Okay, I've got a pretty technical question I'm hoping someone here can answer.

I have a 144hz monitor. However I have the monitor set to 120hz at all times for even frame compatibility with 30 and 60 fps games. Even though it's set to 120, in many games (black ops III, Darksiders: DE, etc) the games seem to think the refresh rate is 144 regardless. For example, in BO3 if I enable vsync my frame rate goes down to 72, half of 144 (suggesting this is the max it thinks I'm not reaching) even though my frame and refresh rate caps are at 120. In Darksiders 2 the top frame rate it will go up to is 144, not 120, because it seems to think 144 is my max.

Why is this? Is there any way to prevent it? I'd prefer all my games recognize 120 as my refresh rate, not 144, if I have my monitor set to 120.

ISee

So did the patch for the i5 processors last night improve performance?

Hopefully I can up some settings and get a solid frame rate now.

Seems to run fine on my i5 [4.2ghz 3570k]. CPU load on all 4 cores is at 80% max. Getting 'stable' 60fps on High settings and smaa x1. (stable=95% of time,w/o cutscenes which have the fps all over the place). So far I had the most fps dips during the first mission to be honest (large fields with a lot of fire). Later mission very rarely went below 60 (but I am not that far in to be honest), but I noticed a strange, and very short stutter from time to time (like once every 7-8 minutes).

VRAM is at around 3,7gb out of 3.5gb+0.5gb (970)
RAM at around 7,8gb out of 16gb (Win10)

Some people are saying 750ti runs it well on high/1080, others are saying it barely runs on low/1080 - can someone give me an idea of what I will be dealing with later when I pick it up or is it really just that glitched right now?

_DrMario_

God I regret buying this game so much. Battlefront ran and looked great and this runs and looks like shit. And the campaign is shit.

First CoD since BO2. All it had to do was to keep me entertained for 4 days and it couldn't even do that.

xet72

i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz
16gb gskill
radeon 7950 @ 1.2ghz

1080p
vysnc enabled
FOV 90
Texture Quality, Filtering, Mesh all High
Shadows medium
FXAA

Its rock solid 60fps no dips / no stutters very smooth. This 7950 + my old 2x 7970s mining + selling 7970s paid for entire rig, all my games, my ps4 and lil extra in the bank. Kudos to AMD for making only parts I have bought PC since my 386 dx33mhz that paid me.

Burger

Anyone have issues with splitscreen activating constantly? I get Burger and Burger 1 which is annoying as I'm the only dude on my computer.

Probably something to do with the Steam controller. Annoying bug.

Kezen

Banned
I have, and it does run well, keeping between 55-60 most of the time. But so many hard lockups!

Guess I'll try raising the voltage on my gpu, and maybe cpu, see if it helps.

It's just weird because I only very recently played so much witcher non stop (which stressed my card and cpu extensively) with not a crash in sight.

No idea what could be causing that, the culprit could be the driver but that's just a guess.

In my case I've not played much (3 hours SP) but framerate is excellent, very nearly locked 60fps, minor dips in cutscenes.

High textures, high shadows, rest maxed.
GTX 980
16gb of RAM
I7 4770K @3.5ghz
Windows 10

Kade

i5 4690K @3.50Ghz
GTX 970 4GB
8GB RAM

1920 x 1080 with everything set to high with transparency and volumetric lighting set to medium running at 60FPS. I get this really strange slow down looking at and being in certain parts of the multiplayer maps and the campaign. Similar to getting hit with a concussion grenade in the game. Ran the beta with everything maxed out with no problems.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Has something gone horribly wrong with the hit reg today? I just had to stop playing because everyone was soaking and I was dying instantly, it was like the lag comp was turned up to 11, and not in my favour. Yesterday it was fine.

using nvidia surround, I am at 60fps at 3840x1080 using vertical splitscreen across 2 monitors

i5 2500k @4.4
980ti
16 GB RAM

solid 60 through the campaign so far (just made it to the safehouse in co op)

everything that was at "extra" is on high instead, and i'm running at 140% (setting name I can't remember)

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Hi everyone, I've published my Graphics & Performance Guide: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/call-of-duty-black-ops-3-graphics-and-performance-guide

Could have gone out at launch, but wanted to re-test stuff after seeing the issues people were having. Ultimately, all results were in line with the pre-release tests, and didn't experience any of the noted issues, which seems to be in-line with what I'm seeing online. For some everything works AOK, for others there are issues galore.

Kezen

Banned
Hi everyone, I've published my Graphics & Performance Guide: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/call-of-duty-black-ops-3-graphics-and-performance-guide

Could have gone out at launch, but wanted to re-test stuff after seeing the issues people were having. Ultimately, all results were in line with the pre-release tests, and didn't experience any of the noted issues, which seems to be in-line with what I'm seeing online. For some everything works AOK, for others there are issues galore.

Awesome work.

ISee

great going to read now. thx

~Kinggi~

Banned

Volumetric lighting pics looked switched.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

Good stuff, cheers.

Just setup multi monitor split screen. Needed to lower settings a bit on that pcs gpu since it is only a 780. Will try my 970 next.

LordAmused

Thanks a lot Andy. Very useful guide.

By the way, I found a dead link, right here: http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...comparison-2-smaa-t2x-vs-filmic-smaa-t2x.html

Game should have just been a PS4 exclusive.

Because it seems like it's poorly optimized for pc, not even the same game on last gen, and runs at a gimped resolution on xbone.
3868727-confused+yo.gif

Please leave.

Berzerkiymc

Neo Member
So i was getting some pretty terrible stuttering last night, decided to install the game on my ssd, and upgraded my ram from 8 gigs to 16.

Now it runs like butter.

2600k core I7, GTX 970, and now 2x8 gig sticks of ram. getting around 60 - 80 now @ 2560x1080 res.

If anyone wants to party up btw, name is berzerk880 on steam

ZOONAMI

3868727-confused+yo.gif

Please leave.

Ok, I'm not a PS4 homer, I have 2 gaming rigs and an xbone, but I do feel like devs should maybe reconsider the practice of releasing ports with a bunch of problems (see arkham knight).

But I'll leave the thread if the idea of a PS4 exclusive is so offensive.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Because it seems like it's poorly optimized for pc, not even the same game on last gen, and runs at a gimped resolution on xbone.

It's running perfectly for me and many others, at least the MP portion, I can't comment on SP.

Ok, I'm not a PS4 homer, I have 2 gaming rigs and an xbone, but I do feel like devs should maybe reconsider the practice of releasing ports with a bunch of problems (see arkham knight).

But I'll leave the thread if the idea of a PS4 exclusive is so offensive.
You're saying possibly the largest franchise in the world that has been multiplat for nearly 7 years should suddenly be a ps4 exclusive because reasons.

Yeah that makes sense

IMACOMPUTA

Has something gone horribly wrong with the hit reg today? I just had to stop playing because everyone was soaking and I was dying instantly, it was like the lag comp was turned up to 11, and not in my favour. Yesterday it was fine.
The game is randomly p2p and dedicated servers. Its like 2 different games depending on what server you get.
This is pretty fucking dumb. There's 0 consistency because of this. I top frag on dedicated and bottom frag on p2p. Its instantly noticeable what kind of server you're on.

I wish there was a way to opt in for only dedicated. Even if you have to wait longer for matchmaking. Fuck p2p that shit is garbage.

Top Bottom